Matt Nagy

bowlingtwig

Just based on what I have read, Nagy is a great hire (Reid called him the best assistant he ever had). The Bears had to move quick in order to attempt to keep Fangio who's contract runs out tomorrow.

That speaks highly considering 7 current HCs around there league have come from the Reid tree

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I was just reading another article and realized my mistake, and see where TD is coming from. My mistake.

Greg Gabriel was talking up Nagy earlier in the season. He comes from the Reid tree. I am excited about the hire. A home run now would be for them to resign Fangio.

Peace :dabears

Reid has always kinda called the offense hasn’t he?

I’m a little bit concerned Nagy was criticized for ‘abandoning the run game’ this weekend but hope that was just a blip.

I read where Ried stuck his 2 cents in and keep up the passing. The Reid tree has been successful, look at the Philly coach, exact same path.

Id get super excited on that threesome. But would defilippo agree to come here as OC but not call plays as it sounds like Nagy will call plays. Absolutely agree though Fangio. Need to do whatever it takes to get him to stay. Make him highest paid assistant

He is already the 2nd highest paid DC in the league, just have to offer him a raise. I think unless he goes to west coast, this is a more favorable place to stay. He is comfortable with what he has built. I think any animosity came the defensive minded Fox.

Yes, I was just reading another article and realized my mistake, and see where TD is coming from. My mistake.

I didn't make it real clear what I was talking about. I hope the guy does good. He's a total wild card. He has 10 years with Reid including as an intern. He could be his next coming. He became a QB coach 5 years ago and is now a HC. It could be genius just grabbing someone on the rise.

Personally, I like something more to go on. I'm not sure how he is with QB's. He was with Alex Smith as QB coach or OC every year he's been in KC, but Alex Smith's uptick really started under Harbaugh a couple years earlier.

I won't be on here poopooing on the signing everyday. Maybe a couple years from now. I'd just like something a little more proven at such an important position, during the critical years of Trubisky's development.

Now with Nagy as HC, I hope:

DeFilippo agrees to become OC after not getting a HC gig (too early to tell)

Fangio, Nagy, and Pace work it out where he remains DC

That is a threesome I would love to see

The problem would be waiting on John DeF to get done with the playoffs and he could get a HC job. Nagy hiring didn't have a John D tag on it. He has a name. I like that it is done early and get the first crack at Fangio. Him and Pace were both on the same page that Tribisky was the best qb in the last draft.

I didn't make it real clear what I was talking about. I hope the guy does good. He's a total wild card. He has 10 years with Reid including as an intern. He could be his next coming. He became a QB coach 5 years ago and is now a HC. It could be genius just grabbing someone on the rise.

Personally, I like something more to go on. I'm not sure how he is with QB's. He was with Alex Smith as QB coach or OC every year he's been in KC, but Alex Smith's uptick really started under Harbaugh a couple years earlier.

I won't be on here poopooing on the signing everyday. Maybe a couple years from now. I'd just like something a little more proven at such an important position, during the critical years of Trubisky's development.

Of course there is risk, but only wins will prove how worthy the choice was . Look at the chances Oakland took, 100 million on someone that hasn't been in football for 10 years. Results are all that matter.

Of course there is risk, but only wins will prove how worthy the choice was . Look at the chances Oakland took, 100 million on someone that hasn't been in football for 10 years. Results are all that matter.

Has anyone thought about Ed Donatitel as the DC if Fangio gets away? He has did it before and seems to be on the same page as Fangio.

Has anyone thought about Ed Donatitel as the DC if Fangio gets away? He has did it before and seems to be on the same page as Fangio.

I was thinking about Donatell for HC late in the season to keep Fangio around but what he has done with Fuller,Amos,Jackson and LeBlanc has gone unnoticed by some and I'm sure he would like a chance to be a DC again.

Greg Gabriel was talking up Nagy earlier in the season. He comes from the Reid tree. I am excited about the hire. A home run now would be for them to resign Fangio. Peace :dabears

I tweeted Greg yesterday and his opinion why Nagy would be better than Deflippo was the basically Reid. Reid would help Nagy get the support he would need to be successful as in assistant coaches.

Now with Nagy as HC, I hope:

DeFilippo agrees to become OC after not getting a HC gig (too early to tell)

Fangio, Nagy, and Pace work it out where he remains DC

That is a threesome I would love to see

Bears appear to be trying really hard to keep Vic. Good sign that none of the defensive assistants have left just yet. Ragone is reportedly staying on as QB coach (which I think is a good thing). Have read a lot of really good things about Ragone. I'm excited about this hire and I also like the pace that Pace moved.

That is the other thing I like. Reid's assistants have in general done well as head coaches. It also is the one thing that scared me about Beliceck...his assistants have generally stunk as head coaches.

Completely agree about the belicheck tree. I can't think of any of his assistant that have done well

I'm really going to be excited if I see Bears agree to 4 yr contract extension with DC Vic Fangio and other defensive assistants (such as Ed D). The fact that we haven't seen a max exodus yet of our defensive coaches is a good sign, but all of this can change starting tomorrow. Hopefully Nagy and Fangio are already chatting to figure out if they are a good fit because it is critical that they get along, share a vision, etc. You can't just let Fangio report into Pace, etc...Nagy has to buy into him since he's the CEO of the coaching staff.

I'm really going to be excited if I see Bears agree to 4 yr contract extension with DC Vic Fangio and other defensive assistants (such as Ed D). The fact that we haven't seen a max exodus yet of our defensive coaches is a good sign, but all of this can change starting tomorrow. Hopefully Nagy and Fangio are already chatting to figure out if they are a good fit because it is critical that they get along, share a vision, etc. You can't just let Fangio report into Pace, etc...Nagy has to buy into him since he's the CEO of the coaching staff.

totally. you gotta figure if there is any chance Fangio is staying, that those conversations are happening today.

Im all for Fangio staying on but does this or can this create a Buddy Ryan vs Mike Ditka type relationship with the team.

Nagy has to be the boss and that is why I think it is critical that they see eye to eye and determine they can work with each other. It is a great opportunity for Fangio because he'll have a lot of say in the defense (more so then he had under Fox) but at the same time, he still reports into Nagy and they need to have that alignment. Will be interesting to see what happens. Stability on the defense would be nice and I see many reasons this would work better than the Marinelli situation. But we also need to know because good assistants are going to get snatched up.

Does Nick Saban count? I know its college but still an assistant to Belicheck

I obviously didn't count him and that's because he failed as an NFL HC. Can't be anymore successful in the college ranks so I will give him credit for that and he's always turning out stand out pros when his boys get drafted. Hard to argue that part

I like that we moved quickly. I'm a little bit surprised it was Nagy but I like the fact we brought in a young coach up and coming coach. It would be nice to see us find someone that can stick around for a decade or more paired up with our QB. It's a stability we've never really seen in the modern era. That all depends on wins and losses but it's clear this is Pace's intention.

Most importantly, I think the Andy Reid style of West Coast offense is an excellent fit for Trubisky's skills.