Thoughts on Bears vs. Broncos

AZ54

First and foremost I saw something I hadn't seen all last year and that was an NFL offense in a Bears uniform.  Everyone seems to be focused on the mistakes, and there were too many, but still against the Broncos defense our offense belonged on the field.  I especially liked how much pressure the Broncos brought on many plays.  They mixed up all sorts of pressure packages and coverages and this was excellent for our offense to learn against. 

For the majority of the plays Trubisky looked like he was in command of things and comfortable in where he should go with the ball.  Nothing showed that more than the play where they blitzed heavy off the right side and the Oline picked it up and Trubisky calmly and quickly hit Burton on an in cut 15 yards down field.  There was an easy underneath option for Trubisky, maybe it was Cohen, but he knew he had something better if he just waited another second.  I didn't expect we'd see that maturity in a new offense with so many new players in just the 3rd preseason game.  Much work remains to be done but IMO this was a big step forward for the unit as a whole and gives them some solid ground to build off of.   See the first play in these highlights:

https://www.chicagobears.com/video/highlights-bears-vs-broncos

Oline.   Kyle Long and Whitehair still have to get blocking assignments down.  Long does not look like the player he was two years ago but he's progressing.  Again, the looks Denver provided on blitzes will help them when they review the film.   Daniels looked ok this game.  I tried to focus on him and Coward in the 2nd half.   I don't see much negative in Daniel's play and maybe some things he can improve upon.  Likewise with Coward who held up well against the backups and can mirror pass rushers far better than Massie.  I'm not sure how well he can anchor against starting level players but his arrow is still pointing upward and he plays with a bit of a bad attitude which I like.  His potential might put him on the 53, but his inexperience might keep him off it.  

WRs:  Miller is the real deal.  Nobody is really talking about Kevin White but for the first time this year I saw him return as a football player.   He was aggressive coming back for the deep pass that led to a PI call.  You don't go up for the ball like that if you are worried about getting hurt.  On several short routes he ran with confidence into traffic.  

RBs:  Tarik Cohen is a bit lost in this offense still.  They've put a lot on his plate and he still has a lot to learn.  

DTs:  Between RRH, Bullard, and Nichols I see three backup players.  Each had their moments of good and moments of bad so expect a rotation of players here until someone settles into a starting role.  Goldman was moving well with his lighter frame and was disruptive up the middle on several plays.  We need to sign him long term. 

OLBs:  I think Acho is much better than people give him credit for.  He's not a star, so don't get your knickers in a twist, but he's become a good OLB for us.  I think I saw the play where Floyd was injured.  It didn't look like much but you never know.  Between Kylie Fitts, Irving, and now Edebali there's not much to write about.  Edebali's sack was when he got to the edge quickly but beyond that there isn't much to his game and he doesn't have much length to hold off blockers.   Irving too looks like a 1-trick pony needing to win with speed or nada, but I see more versatility in his game than Edebali's.  Fitt's did hold up well on several run plays but his pass rush was not very creative, just straight into the OT and were easily handled.  Fitts is the most fluid of the 3 when dropping into coverage.  If I'm choosing two of the three it remains Irving and Fitts.   

DBs:  Didn't miss Cooper at all, and that's not to say Doran Grant looked good.  Grant played so conservative giving up lots of ground but at least his fundamentals on tackling were more sound than Cooper.  In the 2nd half It was easy to see the potential of Joseph and Tolliver.  Joseph lacks deep speed but was more physical than I expected him to be, and showed some good quickness when driving on out cuts.  Tolliver looks like he has starter potential but was giving up too many plays.  Tolliver had one outstanding tackle in run defense stopping the RB cold and putting him on the ground.     I'm done with Crevon LeBlanc.  Stupid plays like catching a punt at the 5yd line and athletically he just doesn't match up well as a DB.   If we're keeping 5 CBs Amukamara, Fuller, Callahan, and ?, ?.   Watch who plays in the 2nd half next week, and who doesn't.  

LBs:  I know Roquan is penciled in by many to be our starter but Kwiatkoski is playing well and is much better in coverage than last year.  Iggy moves well too in coverage.  Trevathan hinted that 3 ILBs could see the field in some packages and I can see that.  I saw one defensive play where we had just two down linemen so I'd say we'll see all 3 at times.        

9 hours ago, AZ54 said:

First and foremost I saw something I hadn't seen all last year and that was an NFL offense in a Bears uniform.  Everyone seems to be focused on the mistakes, and there were too many, but still against the Broncos defense our offense belonged on the field.  I especially liked how much pressure the Broncos brought on many plays.  They mixed up all sorts of pressure packages and coverages and this was excellent for our offense to learn against. 

Funny, I mentioned to my buddy I watched the game with that even the formations look more creative then what we had last year. Wonder if that was Fox directing the OC or just the OC's style. 

Kevin White - looked like someone highly motivated. I hope it works out for him this year. I agree Miller looks to be the real deal. Big WHAT IF but if Allen plays like pro bowl Allen, White plays like a 7th overall pick and Miller is a gem the Bears could have an awesome WR corp. That doesn't even include Burton or Gaberial. 

45 minutes ago, Chitownhustla said:

Funny, I mentioned to my buddy I watched the game with that even the formations look more creative then what we had last year. Wonder if that was Fox directing the OC or just the OC's style. 

Kevin White - looked like someone highly motivated. I hope it works out for him this year. I agree Miller looks to be the real deal. Big WHAT IF but if Allen plays like pro bowl Allen, White plays like a 7th overall pick and Miller is a gem the Bears could have an awesome WR corp. That doesn't even include Burton or Gaberial. 

Kevin White, if he does well this season or not, will be elsewhere next year. Honestly, I don't think they're going to keep him on the team. I'd imagine he'll be one of the final cuts. They have too much money invested in the WR position to sign him if he has a decent season. It is better to just move White along now than risk having him put up a big year and having to let him walk. The amount of criticism Pace would get would be insane. I hate saying this, but I believe this to be true. Nobody would complain if you cut him now. If he goes elsewhere and takes off, so be it. It is better for him to have that first success elsewhere than here. It sucks they lost a 7OA, but it is what it is. The dude was made of glass. 

Gotta do a180 on this one, as my opinion is opposite.  I hope he makes the team and has a great year.  If you look at it, it's good for us two ways: one, we win some games and two, if we lose him in FA, we get a possible comp pick.  His value on a re sign would be mid level at best.  We cut him and get nothing.

51 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Gotta do a180 on this one, as my opinion is opposite.  I hope he makes the team and has a great year.  If you look at it, it's good for us two ways: one, we win some games and two, if we lose him in FA, we get a possible comp pick.  His value on a re sign would be mid level at best.  We cut him and get nothing.

I'm with you here, go for a comp pick.  

If JPP can play with 1-2 missing fingers I’d think Floyd should be able to man up and use a club cast too.

The pragmatist in me says before I buy off on this offense and how effective it is, I’d like to see more production against 1st string defenses.  Trubiksys performance was ok and the TD throw to Burton although impressive in scheme was countered by the INT due to the aforementioned confusion of Cohen.  

Chase Daniel looked better in his play; althoughbeit against a lesser quality D. And Mizzel (whoever the hell he is) looked as impressive (if not more) as Miller.