Bears at Cardinals Game Thread (FOX, 3:25pm CST, Bears -4)

adam

5 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Beetle juice...beetle juice....beetle juice.lol

ha.  Yeah, i know.  It’s painful to watch him ‘learn’ while all these other lesser round picks do good for their teams.  

If you've watched...only Mahomes has really lit it up. We'll see what Mayfield does in his next game. Watson continues to be bleh (another mediocre game today) and DArnold has looked absolutely awful. By the way, I'm not making judgements on any of those guys...just stating what has happened.  Not a shock that young QB's can get frazzled, make more bad decisions, be slower at reading defenses at times, and less consistent (since they aren't in rhythms, etc).  

I'll look at the 1st 4 games for the Bears and than compare the Bears next 4 games, offensively and evaluate the progress via 4 game windows. By the half way point, we should start to see more consistency or so I'd hope.  Hopefully it comes sooner and more consistent earlier...but this is still by and large a rookie year for Mitch.  I'm giving him this year and next year pretty much regardless.  Hopefully it doesn't come to that though and by the end of the year everyone is excited about Mitch! 

This is a long process and if there is one thing that gives me faith it is the fact that I think Nagy gets it and knows how to develop a QB. Fact Mahomes is lighting it up also helps me feel better (since Nagy was his primary developer).  

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, adam said:

Yeah, we had 6 chances from goal to go and only got a FG. On the incomplete pass to Robinson, we had 4 Receivers and only 3 defenders on the right side, but he never looked that way.  So it has to be play calling.

Technically, with 4 people so bunched up, you can sometimes guard 2 guys with 1 player. I really didn't like that play at all.  That said, its a long season and I buy this team and offense getting better. 

23 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I'll stat evaluating the offense once we hit the midway point. Right now, I'm going to let them keep working and learning. Week by week. Thankfully D stepped it up and helped them get the win. Offense has to convert more TD's in that game....if they did, we'd all be saying something different. Mitch has to become more accurate and a better decision maker. 

i agree entirely.

it is fair to say right now that Trubisky is the weakest link on the team. Heck if you were only going to play one game today with no future you might even think about starting Daniels.

but this season is about Trubisky growing. they sure have surrounded him, and he absolutely is showing flashes. he needs to make fewer bad decisions, work on his long ball accuracy and just keep growing. and Im rooting for him. hope next week is even better, and after the bye week we ought to hit some kind of stride if he is developing.

3 minutes ago, BearFan NYC said:

i agree entirely.

it is fair to say right now that Trubisky is the weakest link on the team. Heck if you were only going to play one game today with no future you might even think about starting Daniels.

but this season is about Trubisky growing. they sure have surrounded him, and he absolutely is showing flashes. he needs to make fewer bad decisions, work on his long ball accuracy and just keep growing. and Im rooting for him. hope next week is even better, and after the bye week we ought to hit some kind of stride if he is developing.

Probably the worse part about the Mack trade being a "year too early" as I described it, was the fact that it put a lot more pressure on Mitch.  Expectations were raised and with that, people are less willing to sit back and let a QB develop. Hopefully the Bears front office and coaching staff aren't that way and focus on Mitch's development. It is the most important part of the franchise....mission critical to do everything they can to get the best out of him. 

Hate that we have to deal with everyone's hot take after practically every bad throw to break down what Mitch could have done better vs. just sitting back and relaxing over an extended period of time and seeing if over a longer window he proves himself and makes progress. 

The bright side is, if he can take steps forward, this team could be special in a year.  I also am curious how "good" our weapons are. Need to see more out of Robinson (he's been solid...but not great yet...hopefully he's getting more and more confident in his leg) and need to see a lot more out of Burton, etc. Gabriel is an okay player...but nothing special (we overpaid for him as a response to how bad last years wideouts were).  Hopefully Miller is okay and can make strides cause I still don't see our playmakers as having made things easier on Mitch. 

I really hope Shaheen ends up being able to stay on the field and actually  be good. Would have been nice to have him around, especially when we are in the red zone.  

yup, well said. but if you are the #2 pick overall theres gonna be pressure anyway. I think the added pressure is gonna be good overall.

as to people who are getting crazy about every throw, thats what a certain kind of sports fan does. they watch sports so they can criticize and seem superior. weve literally had members of this board say that theyd do a better job as gm based on the info that we all know, than the actual gm with all his resources and scouts. they wont ever understand that theyre wrong. theyll just bluster, so we ignore them. i am sure nagy isnt thinking about what jason thinks for example.

8 hours ago, adam said:

These spots are getting ridiculous, Gresham was almost a yard short and they gave him a first down. 

I was at the game right across from that spot and it was a gift.  Many second half spots for Cards seemed to be a little beyond where the ball was.  

7 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Ultimately Arizona kept Chicago in the game.  They had some bad calls (one roughing the passer and unsportsmanlike hit on Gabriel) etc. that helped the Bears’ cause.  I fear that if Rosen had started the game this wouldn’t have turned out the same.  McCoy did call a good game on the offense side of things.  He was able to game plan for Mack pretty effectively.  Bradford just wasn’t able to produce late in the game.  I think the pressure started to affect him.  

But....we won and that’s really all that matters.  🐻👇

Watching it live I can tell you two things about the big hit on Gabriel:   First Gabriel quit on the route right after his break, and the ball was IMO perfectly thrown if he doesn't hesitate so much.  I believe Gabriel saw the DB sitting on the route and didn't want to go in there and Trubisky saw the play as it should have been.   

Second, before that big hit the ball was well gone past Gabriel and the defender closed from what looked to be about 5-7 yards away.  Even on the Cardinals radio post game show they were saying how the DB had to see the ball that went in from of him and should know he has to ease up.   

Had Gabriel not wimped out on the route then oddly enough that hit might have caused him to drop the ball which could have changed the game.  

I don't know which roughing penalty you referring to but in the second half there was one where the defender took 3 steps before he hit Trubisky.   Watching it real time at the game you see Trubisky with plenty of time and no defenders near him when he releases the ball and then we were surprised there could have even been a hit on the QB.  

My hot takes after week 3:

- Trubisky is currently the worst starting quarterback in the NFL.

- The Bears defense has issues in the secondary, but I like their ability to battle back after a rough start and dominate

- Bilal Nichols is a player to keep an eye on

- Khalil Mack is the best defensive player in football

- Bears have a shot at the post-season if they can go into the bye 3-1.

The Bears sort of remind of the early years of Rex Ryan's coaching tenure with the Jets when they went to back to back AFC Championship games despite the horrid performance they got from their highly prized 1st round quarterback. The defense, though I still am not in love with their corners, is playing at a top 5 level through 3 games so far. If they can get Leonard Floyd to show that he can play football again, that will only add to what I consider to be the best front 7 in football right now. Khalil Mack changes everything. I think this defense has the potential to carry this team into the playoffs even if Trubisky continues to under perform the way he has been, though it is not going to be an easy task. 

That's great for the short term, but bigger picture: If Trubisky proves that he isn't very good, the Bears are so hosed a year or two or three down the road with no high draft picks to take another guy. They would have to hope there is another Kirk Cousins/Kase Keenum-like guy available in free agency to take advantage of this 2-3 year window, because time is already ticking. We can't afford to go through another year and a half watching quarterbacks lose games for us when we have the best defensive player in football right in the middle of his prime. 

1 hour ago, Bears4Ever_34 said:

My hot takes after week 3:

- Trubisky is currently the worst starting quarterback in the NFL.

- The Bears defense has issues in the secondary, but I like their ability to battle back after a rough start and dominate

- Bilal Nichols is a player to keep an eye on

- Khalil Mack is the best defensive player in football

- Bears have a shot at the post-season if they can go into the bye 3-1.

The Bears sort of remind of the early years of Rex Ryan's coaching tenure with the Jets when they went to back to back AFC Championship games despite the horrid performance they got from their highly prized 1st round quarterback. The defense, though I still am not in love with their corners, is playing at a top 5 level through 3 games so far. If they can get Leonard Floyd to show that he can play football again, that will only add to what I consider to be the best front 7 in football right now. Khalil Mack changes everything. I think this defense has the potential to carry this team into the playoffs even if Trubisky continues to under perform the way he has been, though it is not going to be an easy task. 

That's great for the short term, but bigger picture: If Trubisky proves that he isn't very good, the Bears are so hosed a year or two or three down the road with no high draft picks to take another guy. They would have to hope there is another Kirk Cousins/Kase Keenum-like guy available in free agency to take advantage of this 2-3 year window, because time is already ticking. We can't afford to go through another year and a half watching quarterbacks lose games for us when we have the best defensive player in football right in the middle of his prime. 

You want the same Kirk Cousins who put up 6pts today and is guaranteed $84mil?   Or Case Keenum who already has 5 INTs on the season?   

MT has had more bad plays than good, but after 3 games that we are 2-1 can everybody take a step back before we cut him from the team. Things he has to learn is trainable,by mass opinion, we have one of the better coaches to do that. He has the coaching staff to make him a good QB. With a complicated new system that Nagy said would take 2 years to learn, he is thinking to much and not reacting. As he becomes more comfortable with the system it will be more instinctive to him.

Two of the 3 interceptions he has had in the last two games were off tipped passes and not just bad throws.

He may not turn out to be a good QB, but this is way to early to get on the bandwagon to worst QB in the league.

We have never seen a QB developed on the Bears before, lets sit back and allow that to happen.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

MT has had more bad plays than good, but after 3 games that we are 2-1 can everybody take a step back before we cut him from the team. Things he has to learn is trainable,by mass opinion, we have one of the better coaches to do that. He has the coaching staff to make him a good QB. With a complicated new system that Nagy said would take 2 years to learn, he is thinking to much and not reacting. As he becomes more comfortable with the system it will be more instinctive to him.

Two of the 3 interceptions he has had in the last two games were off tipped passes and not just bad throws.

He may not turn out to be a good QB, but this is way to early to get on the bandwagon to worst QB in the league.

We have never seen a QB developed on the Bears before, lets sit back and allow that to happen.

Exactly.  Developing a QB takes time, and progression is not going to be linear.  R E L A X. 

Peace

13 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Watching it live I can tell you two things about the big hit on Gabriel:   First Gabriel quit on the route right after his break, and the ball was IMO perfectly thrown if he doesn't hesitate so much.  I believe Gabriel saw the DB sitting on the route and didn't want to go in there and Trubisky saw the play as it should have been.   

Second, before that big hit the ball was well gone past Gabriel and the defender closed from what looked to be about 5-7 yards away.  Even on the Cardinals radio post game show they were saying how the DB had to see the ball that went in from of him and should know he has to ease up.   

Had Gabriel not wimped out on the route then oddly enough that hit might have caused him to drop the ball which could have changed the game.  

I don't know which roughing penalty you referring to but in the second half there was one where the defender took 3 steps before he hit Trubisky.   Watching it real time at the game you see Trubisky with plenty of time and no defenders near him when he releases the ball and then we were surprised there could have even been a hit on the QB.  

There were two 'roughing the passing calls' that were nearly back to back.  The first one was the result of the player being blocked into or rolling towards Trubisky while he stepped back (if I recall correctly). The second is the one that you refer to where yes, the defender was clearly late on his hit.