Bears at Dolphins Game Thread (12pm CDT, FOX, CHI -3, O/U 42.5)

adam

18 minutes ago, Bill said:

I'm no expert on football,  but on my TV I think Fangio was out coached this week.  And I don't think they ever need another whole week off.  I stream the games and sometimes its herky jerky but maybe this week its just was the way they played.  Never seemed to be in control.  Was Mack used in a completely different roll this week?

Mack twisted his ankle at some point and had it wrapped.  

Peace

Defense was the main reason they lost the game. That was even worse than the Packer's game. It looked like the beginning of the Arizona game, except it lasted for all 4 quarters. 

When 80 year old Frank Gore gashes you for almost 7 YPC, and you give up 380 yards and 3 TD's to a god awful quarterback, who is now 4-0 in his career against the Bears, you deserve to lose.

Trubisky was terrible in that first half. Missed a touchdown to Anthony Miller on the first drive of the game, and wasn't really able to get anything going until he started connecting with Gabriel down the field in the 3rd quarter. The interception was really bad, but it never should have happened if the officials don't take it away after a ridiculous call against Trey Burton that negated a touchdown. In reality, the Bears left 14 points on the board between that play and the Howard fumble at the 1 yard line. 28 points still should have been enough to win that game. 

I think what we are starting to find out right now is that this defense is definitely not worthy of elite status, and I'm starting to wonder if they wouldn't be downright bad without Mack playing otherworldly. He was a no show all game after he messed up his ankle. Guys weren't getting off blocks, RB's were falling forward and gaining positive yards on every run, nobody could tackle.. After that Dolphins first TD, I said to myself this was going to be one of those games.

These types of games are the reason I find it impossible to be a glass half full guy as a Bears fan. Anybody who's been watching the Bears over the years knows how rare those Tampa Bay games are. There's been a hell of a lot more bad than good. It just seems like, for whatever reason, this franchise can't handle any success. The minute they win a couple in a row, they almost always follow it up with a clunker.

The worst part of this loss is that they have to follow it up next week against the Patriots. It's almost like 2 losses. I'd be shocked now if they win that game next week. But if they do, it could yet again change the narrative of the season. I think it will determine how the rest of the season shapes up. 

Oh yeah, no one player or coach is to blame. A lot of mistakes to go around. Albert Wilson should not look like the 2nd coming of Randy Moss. 

The defense did hold serve for most of the game. After the first TD, they didn't allow a TD for basically 3 quarters. Then the wheels fell off. There was zero pass rush and Floyd looks like a total bust. There are zero excuses for him now, he is healthy and Mack is on the opposite side drawing the double teams. It almost seemed like they were expecting Tannehill and didn't know what to do with Osweiler in there.

The offense did nothing in the first half, then rattled off 28 points to put the team up. The turnovers (1 by Trubisky in the end zone, 1 by Howard in the end zone, and 1 by Cohen) were the difference. We can't give up that many points in the red zone. 

Coaching was horrible, Nagy looks like a genius then turns into John Fox with the game on the line. Why play for a 50+ yard FG when 10 yards seals the game for at least a tie?

One thing to note, the officials blew a bunch of calls. Go look back at the Wilson screen passes that went for huge gains. The other WR's were blocking before he caught the ball. Both times they should've been flagged, especially after the Burton call in the end zone. He has every right to run his route and doesn't need to yield to the defender. Complete BS. Floyd also got a few bogus calls, so Amendola can keep fighting for a first down and we have to gently pull him to the ground, either stop trying to advance, or get throw down. Then there was the phantom Roughing the Passer, where he tried to block the throw and flashed right in front of Osweiler, barely touching him. Horrible officiating. You can't beat the refs.

1 hour ago, Bill said:

I'm no expert on football,  but on my TV I think Fangio was out coached this week.  And I don't think they ever need another whole week off.  I stream the games and sometimes its herky jerky but maybe this week its just was the way they played.  Never seemed to be in control.  Was Mack used in a completely different roll this week?

agree, Gase out coached him. We were flat overall as a team. Had some good stuff in the 3rd quarter, and then wilted in the heat.

We lost as a team.

Team looked slow and tired today.  Is it just me or did several of our players give up on both of those Wilson TDs? I believe it was Fuller who just started jogging.  Not saying he could have caught him,  but its indicative of the effort I saw all over the defense today.  I don't expect to win every game,  but it chaps my ass when players give up on plays.  

I understand Mack tweaked his ankle but they seemed to use him in a different role.  He seemed to drop back into coverage more and sometimes just stood up at the line of scrimmage .  I don't remember him just rushing the passer but I know he did.  If he was hurt that bad just let him rest.

2 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Fatigue may have played a part in some of the poor defense.

Ha!  Funny you say that, my wife and I were noticing how Hicks could barely stand up late in the 4th quarter and in OT.  There were a few others that seemed to show they were sapped out late in the game, especially on defense.  

Yeah, I'm not sure what to say about Leonard Floyd anymore. The "he was hurt", or the "He's doing the little things that don't show up on the stat sheet" excuses are running a little thin right now. It's starting to feel a little Shea McClellin-ish to me the way people are talking about him now. "Well, he ALMOST got there!"

Dude is invisible out there. The Bears didn't draft him #9 overall so he could wrap up ball carries 5 yards down field. With Mack and Hicks taking all the double teams, there is no reason in the world why Leonard Floyd should not have at least a few sacks by now. If this trend continues, you might have to label him the second clear bust behind Kevin White. The only time I've heard his name all year were the two penalties (which should not have been penalties, btw) he was called for in this game. He had a fumble recovery in the Seattle game. That's literally it. 

5 hours ago, FlyfishingBear said:

Team looked slow and tired today.  Is it just me or did several of our players give up on both of those Wilson TDs? I believe it was Fuller who just started jogging.  Not saying he could have caught him,  but its indicative of the effort I saw all over the defense today.  I don't expect to win every game,  but it chaps my ass when players give up on plays.  

You're not kidding. I had the same reaction. Why do our DB's look so freakin slow? It's not just this game either. Everytime there's a receiver running down field with the ball with a bit of space, it's like he blows by anybody and everybody within the general vicinity like they're not even there. Eddie Jackson, in particular, takes some of the most atrocious angles I've ever seen. He was brutal all game. Fuller has never been good when he trails a play. I'd have to watch it again, but I wouldn't be surprised if he did give up.

14 hours ago, adam said:

Coaching was horrible, Nagy looks like a genius then turns into John Fox with the game on the line. Why play for a 50+ yard FG when 10 yards seals the game for at least a tie?

the overtime play calling was dumbfounding. run the ball 3 times to set up a 53 yd field goal? with OUR kicker? i like nagy but that was a gutless set of calls.

One thing to note, the officials blew a bunch of calls. Go look back at the Wilson screen passes that went for huge gains. The other WR's were blocking before he caught the ball. Both times they should've been flagged, especially after the Burton call in the end zone. He has every right to run his route and doesn't need to yield to the defender. Complete BS. Floyd also got a few bogus calls, so Amendola can keep fighting for a first down and we have to gently pull him to the ground, either stop trying to advance, or get throw down. Then there was the phantom Roughing the Passer, where he tried to block the throw and flashed right in front of Osweiler, barely touching him. Horrible officiating. You can't beat the refs.

i believe the TD called back because of the burton flag was due to a pic by burton. not called all the time but legit call.

the roughing the passer call on floyd was legit. when his hand came down he hit the qb on the side of the head. in today's nfl it gets called nearly all the time. the throwing down of the wr for U.R. was bogus. that was totally on the officials. why they would wait so long to blow the whistle when momentum was legitimately stopped especially so close to a first down? crap call.

all-in-all this was a garbage game. for the life of me i can't figure out how you gain so much running yards right up the middle. some of the worst run D i have witnessed in some time.

fangio NEEDS to figure out how to stop those soft zone giveaways for 5-10 yards whenever an opponent needs it. it's shades of lovie's defenses of the past. even an average qb will beat you to death if he can gain that kind of yardage every play.

what a steaming bucket of drool this game turned out to be.

The bright side is, I know the defense is better than this and I'm glad if we were going to lose, it was this way vs. losing because of our offense. Nice to see Trubisky have another good game. He made some mistakes and left some plays on the field, but as a whole, putting up as many TD's as he did (and overall yards) over the past two weeks is a really nice sign.  He's starting to look a lot more comfortable.  

Defense was pure trash and got especially tired in the 4th quarter. Fundamentals were poor but you know they are better than that. Offensively, they put up a lot of points despite leaving 2 TD's on the field (the pick after the offensive pass interference and that odd Howard fumble where he was headed into the end zone).  On top of that Cohen's fumble when they were driving.  And the Phins put up like 280 yards after the catch (crazy).  

I'm calling a win this weekend against the Pats!  

Major factors, Mack tweaking his ankle and the big boys getting warn down didn't help. Then the backfield over pursuing and missed tackles. The fumble and int in the red zone. The Bears handed Miami the W.  I wasn't shocked, felt it was a game they needed to win but they could lose due to looking past to NE. 

20 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

The bright side is, I know the defense is better than this and I'm glad if we were going to lose, it was this way vs. losing because of our offense. Nice to see Trubisky have another good game. He made some mistakes and left some plays on the field, but as a whole, putting up as many TD's as he did (and overall yards) over the past two weeks is a really nice sign.  He's starting to look a lot more comfortable.  

Defense was pure trash and got especially tired in the 4th quarter. Fundamentals were poor but you know they are better than that. Offensively, they put up a lot of points despite leaving 2 TD's on the field (the pick after the offensive pass interference and that odd Howard fumble where he was headed into the end zone).  On top of that Cohen's fumble when they were driving.  And the Phins put up like 280 yards after the catch (crazy).  

Agree, I don't think the D is as bad as they looked and played Sunday.  You could tell something was off they were not in sync at all.  Be it heat, be it it whatever.  The breaks more then not went the Dolphins way.  A prayer pass that gets knocked away from the intended receiver only to be tipped right to another Phins receiver, uncharacteristic fumbles by Howard at the goal line and Cohen's fumble late.  The critical calls that went against us at key times to help the Phins.  Yes pick plays get called from time to time but Burton has a right to run his route, after contact was made he continued into the end one to get open, he wasn't cleaning someone out to clear someone out he was running a route.  This doesn't get called often and I stand by my assessment we got screwed.  The roughing also call BS.  Yeah his hand got near the helmet and may have made slight contact but he was trying to deflect the pass.  The contact was incidental at most.  Ossweiler wasn't hit or dropped after the throw, no reason to throw that flag.  If your going to throw that flag how about nearly every time Mitch slid he was hit and no call?  I thought you weren't to hit or touch the QB when he gives himself up.  Got sick of watching that happen over and over when they are calling ticky tack stuff on us.  

All in all There was a lot of blame to go around but still stick to putting most of it on the D.  There was some terrible officiating, and bad play calling at times, but if we make just one defensive stop in the 4th we win this in regulation.  I do believe our D will have better days.  Bad games happen, hopefully this lights a fire under them and motivates them.  Our D has a lot of pride and they got punched in the mouth.  I'd like to see them take that frustration out on NE.  Maybe they can help Brady retire like they did Favre. 

On 10/14/2018 at 5:54 PM, adam said:

I didn't watch the game, but you should know the screen pass is the one time receivers are allowed to block beyond the line of scrimmage before the ball is caught. It's also when linemen are allowed to go downfield before the pass is thrown. As long as the pass is completed behind the line of scrimmage.

Also, I did see the foul on Floyd. That was legit. You're not allowed to bodyslam people like the 1960s NFL.

5 hours ago, jason said:

I didn't watch the game, but you should know the screen pass is the one time receivers are allowed to block beyond the line of scrimmage before the ball is caught. It's also when linemen are allowed to go downfield before the pass is thrown. As long as the pass is completed behind the line of scrimmage,

Also, I did see the foul on Floyd. That was legit. You're not allowed to bodyslam people like the 1960s NFL.

Yea, not legal by Floyd, but the receiver just did not want to go down I don't blame him.  And I think the play that was questionable was the one he was rushing and just seemed to flail at Brock and not touch him in my opinion.  But did not get to see different angles

5 hours ago, jason said:

I didn't watch the game, but you should know the screen pass is the one time receivers are allowed to block beyond the line of scrimmage before the ball is caught. It's also when linemen are allowed to go downfield before the pass is thrown. As long as the pass is completed behind the line of scrimmage.

Oh crap, I saw the Floyd play for another angle. It was bad, borderline suspension worthy, what the hell was he thinking? However, on the one against Osweiler, again he flashed in front of him and tried to block the pass, Osweiler sort of spun out of the way and it looked like Floyd got him up high, but he barely touched him. That was a bad call.

On the screens, on the first one, Wilson took two steps forward then came back to the ball. Amendola was already engaged with his DB with the ball in the air. Close call, ball caught right on the LOS as he came back to the QB. Too close to call on second look. It looked bad live. 

Also, I relooked at the 75 yard play to Wilson. It looks like Mack backpedaled and chipped the TE, then peeled off and went after Osweiler, leaving his space wide open with Wilson right behind him. Callahan, Smith, and Trevathan were all in the area, but Trevathan took a bad angle, and then got blocked. With so many guys there, it seemed like they all gave up assuming someone else was making the tackle.

Talking about how one play like the INT, fumbles, etc would've changed the outcome of the game. How about stopping the 2-pt conversion?