Eagles at Bears Official Wild Card Game Thread (Sun, Jan 6th, 3:40 PM CST/NBC/Bears -6, O/U 41)

adam

Here we go, the first playoff game thread since January 2011. We have knocked GB and MIN out of the playoffs, and now get a chance to knock off the champs. Our defense is elite and our offense is balanced and efficient. I feel like we are going to finally unleash the full offense next week for the first time.  I think we win handily and the defense creates a few turnovers. I am praying for good officials and no BS calls.

Bears 27-13

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Remember the Fitzmagic?  We closed that out from being a household word.  Expect more of the same for Foles.  He's never beaten a defense like ours.

Fitzmagic.   Rodgers was going to run the table because he always wins at Soldier Field.   The Vikings (twice) were coming to town to show us who's the boss.  Then again on their home field in a win-and-they-are-in scenario, with the Bears mostly locked into playoff positioning, we should lose.  In the old days the reporters ripped the paper right out of the typewriter and started over.    

mad work GIF

image.png

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

I  missed game on way to Thailand , I am here to represent Bears fans , bring Bears gear,  look to recruit new fans at Super bowl party 

I'm in the US and getting to see Da Bears in a playoff game! Happy New year to all my Bear Bros. I'll be watching the game at a bar in San Juan Capistrano! 2019 is looking like a great year. BEAR DOWN!!

9 minutes ago, ChileBear said:

I'm in the US and getting to see Da Bears in a playoff game! Happy New year to all my Bear Bros. I'll be watching the game at a bar in San Juan Capistrano! 2019 is looking like a great year. BEAR DOWN!!

You should have wonderful weather for the defeathering of the Eagles!

I'm going to call this the Eddie Jackson game.  I don't see them being able to run on us so hopefully we can make them one-dimensional.  While I expect the Eagles to try to use a lot of screens and quick passing plays to keep our pass rush at bay there will be plenty of times Foles holds the ball to go deep.  Foles is playing some good football but the problem for him is this defense practices against the exact same offense.  Yes, their defense does too but their DBs aren't in the same class as the Bears DBs.  They don't have Eddie Jackson on the backend who knows how to read and cover the route concepts coming at him (they have ex-Bear Corey Graham in his 12th season).  Fuller knows how to play Alshon on the perimeter and will largely just wait on his breaks.  Amukamara will work to get Agholor off his route timing.   LIkewise we have good interior coverage players in Smith, Trevathan, and McManis to take away some of Foles security blanket plays.  Hopefully we can get a turnover or two.  They have two good OTs and it's hard to say how much pass rush we'll generate off the edge.  Will they double team Mack or let the OTs handle him one on one while focusing on shutting down Hicks?  We need good coverage to get Foles to hold onto the ball and then I believe the pass rush will be there.  This might be a good game to mix in some blitzes as teams have been able to get to Foles and there is no way his ribs won't be bothering him.     

On offense Trubisky just needs to keep doing what he's been doing and take what the defense gives him.  I think their biggest matchup problem might be Cohen.  Just looking at some highlights of their last few games their secondary will often give some early wide open looks in coverage for easy 10 yard gains.    DeShaun Watson ran quite a bit on them so if they get back into man coverage Trubisky should just do the same.  That could also spell big plays for Cohen if he beats the first man.  

This is a great coaching matchup between old friends who know each other very well.   I like the Bear chances at home to win 24-17.  

Another thing they will contend with is Goldman has been putting pressure up the middle.  How does 5 guys block Floyd(hot right now), Mack ( no matter how good the OT is , will win one on one blocks), Goldman,  and the monster Hicks . They will have to chip with TEs and RBs taking them out of the passing game.  Smith will have a heyday with 2 sacks and 5 pressure's,  taking away the deep throws. Foles is not very moble but a good QB when confident.  He will lose his confidence in the first half.  A couple of turnovers with a pick 6 from your guy Jackson.  I will call 27-13.

This should be a good game.  I think they are over hyping the Foles, narrative and talk like the Eagles are this team of destiny, and we can't beat them because of Foles magic.  I do believe this will be a competitive close game.  I like that the Bears are getting dismissed by the "experts" at large.  That's motivation and a chip on our shoulder.  They are discounting the facts.  Eagles needed help (specifically ours) to even get to the post season as the #6 seed.  Sure they have been on a roll, but looking at their last 5 games they beat a JV squad twice, barely beat the Texans, beat the Rams by 7, and lost to the Cowboys.  This is not the same Eagles team that dominated last year and had home field in the playoffs.  It's also a drastically different Bears team than the one they stomped last year in Philly.  This game is at Soldier Field that will be rocking and cold.  They will be facing a D like they haven't seen yet this year with a QB dealing with bruised ribs (hope he brings extra padding and pain killers).  I respect the Eagles for turning their season around and being in the playoffs.  But ultimately I think the Bears are just too much for them.

Keys to the game

Run the Ball and stick to it.  Shorten's the game and will wear down their D.

Mitch needs to play like he has of late.  Not necessarily game manger but make the key throws needed to keep sustaining drives.  Ball security don't give them anything.  Take shots when they are there but don't force anything or try to do too much. 

Defensively get after Foles make him uncomfortable from the start. He is a pocket passer make him run for his life.  He may say he's fine but bruised ribs are painful and he's not going to be 100%, put stress on his body, through pressure, hits, sacks, etc.  

Don't give up big plays.  We know Jeffery can make big plays, don't give up huge chunks.  Make them earn every inch and work to sustain drives.  

Stop the run, their run game hasn't been productive so we should have no problem making them 1 dimensional.  Keep an eye on Sprolls he's elusive just like Cohen is.

Bears 24  Eagles 13

I think the key is our OF line.  If we can keep their good front seven with Cox, Bennet, Long in check, I think the running game will give MT a chance to take some shots down the field against a weak secondary.  Something I haven't seen a lot of the last weeks.

Our def. will more than keep us in the game.  I have no fears on defense except of course injuries.  Which barring any from either team and both play their best game we come out ahead 24-13 

13 hours ago, Bill said:

I think the key is our OF line.  If we can keep their good front seven with Cox, Bennet, Long in check, I think the running game will give MT a chance to take some shots down the field against a weak secondary.  Something I haven't seen a lot of the last weeks.

Our def. will more than keep us in the game.  I have no fears on defense except of course injuries.  Which barring any from either team and both play their best game we come out ahead 24-13 

We might see more screen passes and quick hitting plays in the pass game and a commitment to the run to slow down their pass rush.  But your right the biggest key is how well we command the line of scrimmage on offense.  If we can keep Mitch relatively clean he should be able to pick apart that secondary.  Mitch running the ball is also something that can give the Eagles fits as they have struggled against mobile QBs who can take off.   I expect a competitive close game but one that I feel good about our chances to win.  The Eagles have played better of late but they aren't the same team that had the #1 seed last year and had home field throughout.  

On 12/31/2018 at 9:57 PM, ChileBear said:

Shoot if you are San Juan I aught to just stop by (I'm not more then 30 minutes from there).  

I am in pattaya,  Thailand.  The game starts at 4:40 AM . Over hear people party until 5 AM so plenty of places open, many all night. 70 million people visit Thailand every year and I am going to find out how many bears fans are hear. Not my normal TV time but no problem.  I find it hard to sleep when bears win games anyways.  I try to absorb everything bears after a game. Why be terrified Jason? The worst that could happen is we end up 12-5. I will be disappointed but let's keep this in perspective,  this was supposed to happen next year. Everything this year is a bonus,  maybe even a Super bowl.  

4 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Shoot if you are San Juan I aught to just stop by (I'm not more then 30 minutes from there).  

So, DBDB, where's a good place for my son and i to watch the game? My relatives here do NOT have regular tv, just netflix crap. We are now thinking of hitting a bar at Dana Point. Any suggestions?

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I am in pattaya,  Thailand.  The game starts at 4:40 AM . Over hear people party until 5 AM so plenty of places open, many all night. 70 million people visit Thailand every year and I am going to find out how many bears fans are hear. Not my normal TV time but no problem.  I find it hard to sleep when bears win games anyways.  I try to absorb everything bears after a game. Why be terrified Jason? The worst that could happen is we end up 12-5. I will be disappointed but let's keep this in perspective,  this was supposed to happen next year. Everything this year is a bonus,  maybe even a Super bowl.  

I was over there last year and watched the Monday night game against the Vikings. I had to work at 9am so was glad it was on so early. Only problem was I had to watch it over the hotel WiFi and it kept going in and out at the worst times. Have fun! Go Bears! 

On 12/31/2018 at 10:07 PM, Mongo3451 said:

You should have wonderful weather for the defeathering of the Eagles!

Yeah, you'd think. But mornings are cold here. Rather have the heat back in Chile this time of year. But at least i have options to watch the beloved in the playoffs!

Here is why I'm not worried:

Break this down to 4 parts,  Bears O and D then Eagles O and D. 

Who do you trust the most? 

Trubisky will give us pause but Nagy will keep him grounded. 

Eagles are hot under Foles? He has a rib injury after we hit him a couple of times he will be a avoiding the rush and not looking downfield.  There running game sucks. 

Eagles defense is banged up in the defensive backfield .

The Bears D has been dominant in the last 4 games.  I trust our defense to continue to dominate.