Mahomes

adam

Pundits point out Trubisky's near interceptions but don't mention Mahomes had 3 picks dropped by New England; he barely broke 50% in completions (16/31) and didn't do anything until the Patriots started dropping 8 into coverage in the 4th. 

He is absolutely going to be a boom or bust QB. 

I can imagine the media outrage if Trubisky had that many incompletions. The double standard is crazy. 

8 minutes ago, adam said:

Pundits point out Trubisky's near interceptions but don't mention Mahomes had 3 picks dropped by New England; he barely broke 50% in completions (16/31) and didn't do anything until the Patriots started dropping 8 into coverage in the 4th. 

He is absolutely going to be a boom or bust QB. 

I can imagine the media outrage if Trubisky had that many incompletions. The double standard is crazy. 

LOL.  Mahomes cost his team that game.  Then he also got them back in it.  He missed an easy wide open TD pass early on; talk about overthrows.  He also took a couple horrible sacks that put his team out of FG range, or forced them to punt from their own endzone.   That was all in the first half then I went out and came back to see him throw a couple quick strikes and tie it up to force OT.   Trubisky still has a couple things to improve upon but so do Mahomes and Watson.  My take out of the playoff games is that I'm glad we have Trubisky.   

I think being a Bears fan the way the media drools over Mahomes is just far more irritating.  They downplay his mistakes and overreact to the good.  They talk like Mitch is this teams' achilles heal.  To be fair the Bears have a long tradition of suckage at the QB spot.  Can't deny Mahomes has had a good year, he's also had something Mitch didn't and that is to sit behind a proven vet running the offense, and now that it's his time to start he's not learning a new system.  Mitch on the other hand did get starting experience last year but in an offense that basically had him hand the ball off and this year has been a new offense, and new pieces.  But just like the Bears in general, we can't really care what the "experts" think.  In their mind till we prove we can consistently win year to year we won't get much respect.  We as fans know what we see and we've seen Mitch grow this year, and our expectations of him and the Bears next year have elevated.  In a lot of ways we were ahead of where we thought we'd be this year.  I feel like in time MT and the Bears will get their respect.  There is much reason to be optimistic that the Bears aren't going a way any time soon.  Now if we could just fast forward to next season, I'm looking forward to the 2019 season.  

6 hours ago, jason said:

Let's pump the breaks on the Trubisky and Mahomes comparisons. If Trubisky threw 50 TDs, his inaccuracy would probably receive a little less criticism and attention.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2018/passing.htm#passing::12

Yeah have to agree to some extent.  I’d say a fairer comparison (right now) of Trubiksy is between he and Wentz or even Mariota. Yes both of these other guys have battled injuries (so too has Watson for that matter) but they were essentially thrust into starting roles their rookie years.  And they just so happen to be the 2nd pick of their respective draft classes.  The one difference between the three, so far, is that both Wentz and Mariota have done well coming out of the gate and since fallen off, right now Trubisky appears to be in an upward trend...however slight.  But the aforementioned injuries also play into this where the previous two have been hampered by it where Trubisky, so far, has not.  

And to expand upon the Mahomes phenomenon; I suspect that in the coming years DC wizards like Fangio will figure out how to corral and blunt his productivity.  After getting a year or two of tape on how he plays, I don’t expect he’ll be doing as well as he did this year . Sure he may play at a higher level but not nearly to what he’s done so far.  

Just look at the Mahomes' TD videos, how many of those are to wide open receivers? A lot. How many are with a bunch of yards after the catch. A lot.  Mahomes also threw passes to 2x All-Pro's and had an All-Pro on the O-Line. Trubisky had Cohen as the only All-Pro and he got it as a returner. 

Mahomes to me is flashier and makes some crazy high difficulty throws. However, I don't think the gap between him and Trubisky is as big as the media makes it out to be. We should see that next year. Mahomes probably still has more yards, TDs, etc, but I feel like Trubisky will have a better QBR (and a better record).

Can't comment on more than the eye test.  Meaning that as just a fan I don't know all the intricacies of QB play in the NFL and what one team asks vs another when it comes to play.  To me, bottom line is I believe Mahomes is going to be very, very special.  But he does not play for my Bears so I look forward to MB learning and growing and becoming the best QB he can.  If he does, I think we will have the better team going forward by far.  

1 hour ago, adam said:

Just look at the Mahomes' TD videos, how many of those are to wide open receivers? A lot. How many are with a bunch of yards after the catch. A lot.  Mahomes also threw passes to 2x All-Pro's and had an All-Pro on the O-Line. Trubisky had Cohen as the only All-Pro and he got it as a returner. 

Mahomes to me is flashier and makes some crazy high difficulty throws. However, I don't think the gap between him and Trubisky is as big as the media makes it out to be. We should see that next year. Mahomes probably still has more yards, TDs, etc, but I feel like Trubisky will have a better QBR (and a better record).

If Trubisky could consistently hit open receivers, particularly on deep balls, he would probably have similar highlights. I can't remember all of them, but there had to be a good 10-15 this year where he plain ol' missed an open guy deep. Many of those would have been TDs.

18 hours ago, adam said:

This is one of the arguments I have made about Mahomes. If you watch the Rams Chiefs games it was a 7 on 7 drill type of passing game. Mahomes is always throwing to wide open WR's. He still does make some amazing throws tho. 

Tale of Two QB's forever linked because they were drafted the same year and the Bears could have picked either of them. 

Mahomes - 1500 reps in College , 3 year starter in college

Year one - sits behind Alex Smith and is mentored by Smith. Offense was top 5 

Year 2 - starts and tears it up, same offense as last year. 

HC = Andy Reid - HC in the NFL for 20 years, helped develop Brett Farve, McNabb, Vick and Alex Smith. 

Offense is loaded with talent around him, most of the guys have been in the Reid system for multiple years. 

2017 Chiefs 

Yards - 5th =6007 

Pts- 6th = 415

2018 Chiefs 

Yards - 1st = 6810

Pts - 1st = 565

Trubisky -500 reps, 1 year starter in college

Year 1 - takes over starting duties week 4 or 5, shows some good signs and bad signs. 

HC - John Fox, OC Lowgains - not a very good combo when it comes to offense and developing a QB

Year 2- Plays a lot better , new offense 

HC - Nagy - 1st year HC, learning how to be a HC, in charge of the offense, 9 years experience nfl coaching. 

Offense - new additions to bring talent level up but I would not say the same type of talent as the Chiefs. Entire offense is learning a NEW playbook while the play caller is learning how to be a HC at the same time. \

2017 Bears 

Yards - 30th = 4599

Pts - 29th = 264

2018 Bears 

Yards - 12th = 5502

Pts- 9th = 421

When you take everything into consideration Mahomes SHOULD have had a better year then Tru. Next year will be Tru's 2nd year in this offense, as well as the rest of the group. Nagy will have a year under his belt as HC/ playcaller. We SHOULD see a big jump from Tru and the entire offense. 2018 Bears offense was a complete overhaul, 2018 Chiefs inserted a more talented QB into an already top 5 offense using the same playbook as the year before from a HC that has 20 years experience as a HC and has helped develop a lot of NFL QB's . 

I don't know about you guys but Im very excited to see this offense in year 2. With the Bears defense and an improved offense we could see a legit SB contender.