Gould officially tagged by SF

madlithuanian

Yep, the writing has been on the wall for a while.  Our only hope was that SF wouldn't end up using the tag.  Even then we wouldn't be the only team interested in his services.  Since we are cutting or have cut Parkey we know one thing we'll have a different kicker.  Too bad it's not Robbie.  

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

The problem is you have to trade draft capital of which we dont have and also a 4 to 5 mil contract. Not likely.

I suspect Robbie will take a bit less to be back home with the kids.   Quite a bit less.  The Bears can't say anything or they are tampering.   Lynch has to do something this weekend.  He's heading into his 3rd season and it's time to start winning.  Does he draft a kicker in the 7th?  If he waits until after the draft the top UDFA kickers might not want to go to SF because there's still a chance Gould comes back.  If he drafts a kicker then his leverage with Gould evaporates as does his trade leverage with teams around the league.  Plus he's now looking at only getting a 2020 pick in exchange.  Meanwhile Pace has gained the rights to 3 of the best FA kickers.  When that phone rings on day 3 of the draft I'm pretty sure Pace says absolutely no to Lynch's first offer.  

8 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I suspect Robbie will take a bit less to be back home with the kids.   Quite a bit less.  The Bears can't say anything or they are tampering.   Lynch has to do something this weekend.  He's heading into his 3rd season and it's time to start winning.  Does he draft a kicker in the 7th?  If he waits until after the draft the top UDFA kickers might not want to go to SF because there's still a chance Gould comes back.  If he drafts a kicker then his leverage with Gould evaporates as does his trade leverage with teams around the league.  Plus he's now looking at only getting a 2020 pick in exchange.  Meanwhile Pace has gained the rights to 3 of the best FA kickers.  When that phone rings on day 3 of the draft I'm pretty sure Pace says absolutely no to Lynch's first offer.  

Since we do have those rights to the FA kickers, Pace has put himself in a great position to land Gould.  I'm seeing a 7th round pick for next year and SF's choice of the current kickers we have.  I truly don't care if Gould takes less or gets paid market value.  (What did Gostkowksi get?)  He is the lone missing need on the roster.

His presence alone will chance confidence level of offense, opponents defensive game planning (due to them knowing we will kick a fifty yarder if we chose.  Making them D up for short yardage or yard to gain situations)  This gives Nagy the flexibility to less predictable in those situations.  All in all, signing Gould will take a lot of tightness out of various situations.

What a crazy turn of events it would be if Robbie ends up back in Chicago this season. I'm not holding my breath that it happens but, I would be thrilled if Pace could pull it off.  We've gone from hoping he wouldn't get tagged, to seeing him get tagged and that seemingly made it a lost hope.  But him requesting a trade and knowing he'd like to be back in Chicago, and that he likely won't be signing that tender and is opposed to signing long term.  SF is now in a bit of a pickle.  What's funny is we could end up on the opposite sides of the kicker issue.  Right now we're the team in search of a kicker before the season starts.  If a deal could be made for Robbie to come back home, SF would be in that situation.  We could give them one or all of the three guys we have, and we have 2020 draft capitol.  It is SF and I could see them trying to screw us and use Robbie as a pawn.  

Question though as Gould is not currently under contract and though he's been tagged he hasn't signed the tender.  I'm drawing a blank but how would a trade work in this case?  Is a trade agreed on and Gould signs the tender and the team acquiring him takes on the franchise tag status with the ability to then sign long term?  

Brad Biggs pointed out in his article today that his performance was just an excuse for letting him go. The year prior to being released, Gould was 33 for 39 in field goals. Yes, he did have 3 big misses that year but the real reason he was let go was because team management and ownership was not happy with some of his comments as the union leader for the team. I believe he was quoted that year saying "The fans don't come out to watch Virginia McCaskey" and also "I'm just trying to feed my family." The underlying issue that led to his release would have to be addressed if he was to possibly be brought back.

2 hours ago, Connorbear said:

Brad Biggs pointed out in his article today that his performance was just an excuse for letting him go. The year prior to being released, Gould was 33 for 39 in field goals. Yes, he did have 3 big misses that year but the real reason he was let go was because team management and ownership was not happy with some of his comments as the union leader for the team. I believe he was quoted that year saying "The fans don't come out to watch Virginia McCaskey" and also "I'm just trying to feed my family." The underlying issue that led to his release would have to be addressed if he was to possibly be brought back.

Essentially, it was Fox that let Pace know he was killing chance of building the locker room and to get him out of here. 

All SF has to do is rescind the tag. Gould can sign the franchise tag at any time and they will have to pay him that ($5M) for the season. Are any other teams in need of a Kicker with the cap space? I would offer a take it or leave it offer of a 7th rounder and be done with it.