David Montgomery RB is the pick

ASHKUM BEAR

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a good way to start your RB career...

Montgomery told reporters that his grandfather would show him tapes of legendary Bears Hall of Fame running back Walter Payton.

“I watched Walter Payton when I was younger,” Montgomery said. “Seeing how he ran, trying to correlate a lot of the ways he ran into my game.”

We have no knowledge of how he will preform until he gets in games. What I do know is since Nagy became coach, we are a winning football team. He had a lot to do with this pick.  12-4, I'll trust what he wants. We were 11th in rushing last year in the NFL. I like the fact Nagy wants to be a better running team. Cohen, Davis and Monty gets us into the top 5 in rushing, its a win win, no matter whether we liked Howard and thing this is a step back. 

Pace has made many mistakes as the GM but for the last 2 years he has put together players that has got us to 12-4. We have one of the best rosters in the NFL now, a SB contender. As long as we get to a SB, I dont really care about how he gets us there. 

6 hours ago, AZ54 said:

This is a good way to start your RB career...

Montgomery told reporters that his grandfather would show him tapes of legendary Bears Hall of Fame running back Walter Payton.

“I watched Walter Payton when I was younger,” Montgomery said. “Seeing how he ran, trying to correlate a lot of the ways he ran into my game.”

i never watched any games with him in it. just from the highlights on espn this is what i thought to myself (never having heard his quotes about payton) is that he reminded me of payton's running style. it's the balance that really made me sit up straight. after taking a hit or moving through traffic the balance he displayed was very paytonistic.

whether it was too much to give up to get him remains to be seen. if he turns out fantastic it will seem like a steal.

Overall, I like the pick a lot.  However, at some point, Pace is going to have to show some discipline in future drafts.  He has traded up 6 times in 4 drafts.  Gotta move to the trade down phase when you have a good team and you lose good vets to salary constraints.  Picks become premium at that point, as you can't buy your way out of trouble.

"i never watched any games with him in it. just from the highlights on espn this is what i thought to myself (never having heard his quotes about payton) is that he reminded me of payton's running style. it's the balance that really made me sit up straight. after taking a hit or moving through traffic the balance he displayed was very paytonistic."

As blasphamous (sp) as that may sound I thought the same thing.  He just seems to attack defenders and maintain his balance like Walter.  And Walter was never a speed merchant.  If he had been he would of set the record so far ahead no one would of ever broke it.  And I believe Walter Payton was the greatest Football player of all time period.  Not even close.  So no I am not expecting this guy to ever reach that level but he just shows some never die.  Was the pick the right one don't know at this time but he is now a Bear.

As I looked going into the draft was expecting Pace to get 3 backups at weaker positions. Instead he got a player that will make a huge contribution this year. The thing we have to keep in mind is now we have a coaching staff in place that developed players and we are not use to that. we all liked Howard but what they went out and did was improve the rushing game., adding Monty, Davis, and Patterson. What Pace is doing is building an offense that Nagy wants. Last year we were 21st in offense. I suspect that want a top 10 offense, which will make the defense better with less time on the field. If he gets 3 players this year that can contribute its a win win. 

How we get better:

MT takes a step forward

With Davis , Monty and Patterson we now have improved the running game.

Robinson will be fully healed and be a big contributor this year. Miller will be improved. I suspect Burton will be more incorporated in the offense.Patterson will contribute.

Smith and Floyd will play better. 

HaHa is a better S than Amos.

42 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Overall, I like the pick a lot.  However, at some point, Pace is going to have to show some discipline in future drafts.  He has traded up 6 times in 4 drafts.  Gotta move to the trade down phase when you have a good team and you lose good vets to salary constraints.  Picks become premium at that point, as you can't buy your way out of trouble.

Playing devils advocate on this draft. Pace and Co are trying to win a SB this year. They have the defense, they have an offense with weapons at every position. I would say the only weak position is RB. Howard is a good back. If they feel his game doesn't fit well in their system Im ok with them going this route. Having said that, Montgomery better be a clear upgrade over Howard or Pace will have made a bad move in trading Howard and drafting a RB. 

I do agree with you Mongo, I would like to see Pace be a little more disciplined. 

I think Kareem Hunt (the player not the person) is a good comparison to Montgomery. That's very different from Howard.

I know we all loved Howard's hustle - he is a good guy, and I respect him. I truly hope he does well.

But this guy is a different beast, with a different skill set. ANd once we all get over the shock of change, we are gonna love this guy.

Also, good teams get rid of good players, we are very much not used to it, but many years the Patriots trade a good player in the last year of his contract. Everyone yells and screams. The player never plays as well in his new surroundings, and after a year or two, then everyone is attached to the player that was selected in part with the capital that was gained by trading the previous one, rather than keeping him another year and losing him to free agency.

Montgomery has a lot of "make you miss" that Howard doesn't have, and he's got hands.

I really like Montgomery.

I like the pick.  Watching tape on him I also came away with aspects of his game reminding me of Payton no one will be as smooth as sweetness. But I saw the balance, determination, taking the fight to the defender. Walter’s forearm was a registered weapon. Monty seems to have that mentality. He is quicker than he is fast displays decisive vision which is different than just patient. I see a back that makes his cuts quickly and decisively. He can make you miss but isn’t a dancer. The highlight videos don’t show off his receiving skills, but it sounds like he didn’t always get the opportunity to showcase that due to QB play. 

I wish Howard well except against the Bears.  Part of seeing him gone that’s hard is he’s a good back for the right system. He’s a stand up guy that is easy to root for.  I do find it a little interesting that even with Howard the Eagles still spent a 2nd rounder on Miles Sanders. It makes me think they view him as more of a situational back than a feature back in their offense.

I’m looking forward to seeing how our run game looks with the new pieces.

12 hours ago, jason said:

He’s a shifty player and he will make some great runs, but it won’t be enough to make up for how it all went down.

It was one thing when you were this arrogant about a coaching staff and front office who constantly settled for mediocrity.  Your true colors show when you now take the same negative position when the team makes moves with the intent of leaping forward.  For god’s sake man, we got Kiper’s #2 RB having gone into the draft with our first pick being #87! Allow yourself to be happy dude.  

By the way,  Howard was my guy. Was pissed to see him go.  But he was clearly not best suited for Nagy’s offense.  With Pace/Nagy making this pick I’m confident they believe he is.  They’re 12-4 and you’re still 0-0 in the NFL.  I’m sticking with them.  

The Bears were not getting it done running the ball.  Howard is a great back, look at his numbers compared to the leagues best.  The problem was the way the offense needs to be ran he didn't have the quickness or decisiveness to exploit defenses.  Davis and Montgomery have that and that will help this offense stay on the field longer and put us in scoring opportunities.  Improving the run game will give the D time to rest, giving the big boys more juice to do their thing.  Now find a inside O lineman and some dbs.  

44 minutes ago, CrackerDog said:

It was one thing when you were this arrogant about a coaching staff and front office who constantly settled for mediocrity.  Your true colors show when you now take the same negative position when the team makes moves with the intent of leaping forward.  For god’s sake man, we got Kiper’s #2 RB having gone into the draft with our first pick being #87! Allow yourself to be happy dude.  

By the way,  Howard was my guy. Was pissed to see him go.  But he was clearly not best suited for Nagy’s offense.  With Pace/Nagy making this pick I’m confident they believe he is.  They’re 12-4 and you’re still 0-0 in the NFL.  I’m sticking with them.  

exactly. On one hand we have NFL executive of the year as agreed by pros in the business who built the Bears into a 12-4 team, and on the other, Jason knows better.

It is laughable.

"They may win the Super Bowl, but it won't be enough to make up for the fact that they didn't do it the way I would have"

55 minutes ago, CrackerDog said:

For god’s sake man, we got Kiper’s #2 RB having gone into the draft with our first pick being #87!

To be fair, for a supposed “expert” Kiper has made plenty of errors on his judgement.  Look up links to Kiper and Ki-Jana Carter, Mike Williams, Ryan Leaf, Davi Carr, JeMarcus Russell, Andre Ware and Akili Smith just to name a few.  

And the whole Nagys 12-4 vs Jason’s 0-0 record thing gets old after awhile.  If that were a standard then the Bears may well still have had Lovie as their HC.  He was 10-6 the year he was fired after all. And until then was the third winningest Bears coach after Halas and Ditka. (for the record I hope Nagy passes them all up).

That being said and realizing I’m setting myself up for a flaming, Ive found a new hero in Stu Gotz from the Dan Le Betard show.  Heelarious! 

Kiper has made errors, and he's been right too - youre right the proof will be on the field not what Kiper says.

I bet on the field Montgomery proves Jason wrong.

And the 12-4 vs 0-0 thing doesnt prove anything either. Then again Lovie never won NFL executive of the year. And I think we all know this Bears team would shred any Lovie Smith team.

Is Jason better than Lovie/Angelo? doubtful.

Is Jason better than Nagy/Pace? L.O.L.

10 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

To be fair, for a supposed “expert” Kiper has made plenty of errors on his judgement.  Look up links to Kiper and Ki-Jana Carter, Mike Williams, Ryan Leaf, Davi Carr, JeMarcus Russell, Andre Ware and Akili Smith just to name a few.  

Love Kiper or hate him, he’s got thousands of college and NFL contacts for every one anyone posting here has.  Given his tens of thousands of picks he’s bound to have made errors. And he’s not a very likable guy.  That said, at least he’s got some basis in reality for his arrogance.  

29 minutes ago, BearFan NYC said:

Then again Lovie never won NFL executive of the year. And I think we all know this Bears team would shred any Lovie Smith team.

Lovie did win Coach of the Year early on.  And I’d be interested to see the defenses go head to head.  If you pitted this current offense against Lovies best D and Lovies best offense against this current D then shredding by each respective D would probably occur.  

As far as Jason’s passion (some call arrogance), Id say cut him some slack.  Many have gotten pissed over the years by a few of us being portrayed as negative all the time.  When really we’re just voicing our opinion.  He and I knocked it around a few times in the past primarily over Olinemen but after time found some common ground.  Maybe that puts me in the minority but nevertheless that’s what makes this “Talkbears”.  Gotta have topics to talk about, controversial or no, to make it a “Talk” site.  

*Edit: I do have to admit that some of the exchanges between Cracker Dog and Jason over the years were pretty funny. 

4 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Lovie did win Coach of the Year early on.  And I’d be interested to see the defenses go head to head.  If you pitted this current offense against Lovies best D and Lovies best offense against this current D then shredding by each respective D would probably occur.  

Do you think Pace would’ve retained Lovie after his 10-6 season?  I would have but think Pace would have moved on.  Just wondering your thoughts.