Vikings at Bears - Week 4 - Official Game Thread (Sun, Sep 29th, 3:25 PM CT/CBS/Bears -2, O/U 38)

adam

13 minutes ago, BearFan NYC said:

There is zero chance the bears are going to sign Kaepernick. On QB ability alone.

Trubisky's injury is his non throwing shoulder. He should be available in a few weeks unless he needs surgery.

I think they will bring up Bray, and stick with Daniels.

They're definitely going to bring up Bray, at least for next week, but if Trubisky is going to be out for an extended period of time, they'll have to sign another guy to replace Bray. Maybe Miami will trade us Fitzpatrick for a conditional 7th, lol.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, BearFan NYC said:

There is zero chance the bears are going to sign Kaepernick. On QB ability alone.

Trubisky's injury is his non throwing shoulder. He should be available in a few weeks unless he needs surgery.

I think they will bring up Bray, and stick with Daniels.

X2 

Bears don’t need the headache that comes with Kaepernick and aside from that one good season...under Harbaugh...seven years ago...he was never all that great.  

Bray and Daniel are quite capable running the O.

14 hours ago, Bears4Ever_34 said:

The Bears have the best D-Line and LB unit in football. I had never heard of this Nick Williams until he made his 1st sack of the year, but he's been making plays left and right. I think he already has 4 sacks in 3 games. He and RRH have been one of the big reasons why I think this defense is going to be a little better than last year's. It's always nice to see some improvement from within. 

Heck of a win against a good team today, and totally unexpected given the injuries. Even before the Trubisky thing, it was looking like Dalvin Cook may go off for over 100 with Hicks and Roquan Smith not playing. Hats off to the team for fighting through all of that and getting a win.

Having said that, it's becoming clearer by the week that this offense is not going to be good this year. They do not open up any holes in the running game, and they don't stretch the field vertically at all to challenge defenses. Just as I said I think the defense is a little better than they were last year, I think the offense is probably a little worse, too. 

I would be surprised if Trubisky doesn't miss most of the season now. I suppose the only silver lining to his injury is that it's to his non-throwing shoulder, but that looked like a broken collarbone or separated shoulder that may need surgery -- which could cost him the next 8-10 weeks. They're definitely going to have to bring in another quarterback. Colin Kaepernick anybody? 

And what do those two things have in common (no holes, and not being able to stretch the field).  Offensive Line.  They are not opening holes with any frequency and other than the short passing game they aren't keeping our QB's clean long enough for the deeper stuff to develop.  We have the talent at WR/TE/RB to stretch the field, Danials and Mitch have the arm to make the throws, but as often is the case the game comes down to the war in the trenches, if we don't win the line of scrimmage we're going to struggle to make big splash plays to put defenses on the ir heels.  We're going to need to address the OL in the offseason between FA and the draft.  I'm hoping that as the season moves along and the current group develops more continuity and plays better, I don't expect great or even above average but for this group average would be good.

As to Trubisky's injury and the QB situation,  In the short term I see us bring up Brey as the backup but keeping our eyes out for other options on other teams rosters.  I would say hell no to Keapernick he is a below average QB who brings a lot of baggage, and circus with him.  He thinks of himself as a starting caliber QB but he had one good year and played very and played himself out of a starting role, and opted out of his contract. He over values himself, talking heads like to push for him whenever a QB goes down simply for the media circus it would create.  I'm hoping Mitch's injury isn't a long absence but at the same time he can get some valuable perspective watching the offense from the sidelines.  With this defense I think we can still win with Daniels.  The offense doesn't have to be spectacular or lights out (though that would be fun to watch paired with our D), it just has to be efficient, control the clock and keep our D fresh while wearing down theirs.  As long as we can put up say around 20 a game or more we'll be fine.  The positive is that it's Mitch's non throwing shoulder

I don't believe we are trying to be KC.  They are literally faster at every skill position on offense.  Looking at our offensive skill positions, we look sturdier.  I like what we are doing, but unless we can hit some big plays teams are going to dare us to get past them.  That's ok with me as long as we can grind.

That's all our defense needs.

Looking back, just think if they don't blow the play dead where Prince Peanut Punched the ball out of Diggs hands and HHCD is able to run that one back. That would've put the game away. In a few other games, they let the play play out before blowing the whistle. They were too quick to call incomplete on that one.

Now we get to see what Daniel can really do. The last time he got the entire week for preparation, he went 26-39 (66.7%) for 285 yards, 1 TD and 2 INT against the Giants. He also had 4 fumbles (none lost), which was really odd. Most of his throws went to RBs (Cohen, Howard, and Mizzell ended up with 15 receptions). However, the defense got shredded by two huge chunk plays and we somehow lost in OT 30-27. A win there and we have a bye going into the playoffs. I remember that long Barkley run in OT on first down, then the Bears get the ball only needing a FG to tie and Daniel has 3 fumbles in 7 plays to lose the game.

I just want to add that while signing Kaepernick would certainly bring distraction to a team, that a starting QB is about the most useful thing there is to a team, and these guys would rent out their grandmothers to win 3 more games a year.

So if Kaepernick was a viable option at QB based on his play alone, more than one team would have looked to sign him after all this time.

So i think we, and others are passing on Kaepernick on his abilities alone, before even considering the rest it.

Kap is out of the conversation right now.  The Bears do not even know what Trubiskys time frame is.  Shefter had news before Nagy even knew.  Bray will be elevated and I could see a flier on Matt Cassel or another KC ex QB if it's one game.  If Trubisky is out for the season or most of it, then the discussion might be real. 

The reason why Chase is here because he knows the offense. Kap no way will be an option because of his lack of knowledge of the system. Bray is next, if they bring another guy in, it will be someone that has been involved in this system. Dont know if anyone is out there but that would be an option. Another option I see is us running a wildcat type of offense to get us threw a game with maybe Cohen or Patterson as the lead. Just saying. The main breakdown of the offense is the shitty OL play. When you dont open holes and your QB is constantly under fire, their is no way the offense runs efficiently. I think with Daniels moving to center, it has to do with communication along the line and also Long is our worst OL and I see him being replaced soon. I think the line can be fixed as Daniels getting better with communication the line calls and Coward taking over for Long.