The Oline needs OVERHAULED

Chitownhustla

On Leno, it's easy to see what happened. First, he got overpaid. He was never great to begin with, so I don't know why you give him that big of a pay raise. Second, he got married, which doesn't help since now his time is split with family. Lastly, he has a baby on the way. Also, I just think he got lazy. In this league you have to continually improve and get better. If you just come in and do what you did last year and think you will have the same results, you will be emBearassed. 

I stole Mongo’s quote from the other string because I agree with it.  Below:

Wholesale changes like that are rarely fruitful.  It takes time to build an OL.  My thoughts are to meet with them at seasons end and tell them to put there man pants on.  Maybe say goodbye to someone to send a message or let them know they'll be cut at the last possible moment so they can't get a good contract elsewhere.  Light a fire.  Draft someone highly and bring in a hard core vet.  I see two, there at the most.”

These are all good ideas, especially with most of them on relatively newer deals.  I think most of us would agree there are some potential talent in players like Bars and even Coward.  Coward has struggled doe this year but maybe he’d be the opposite of what we’ve seen with Leno after having a talk(?). Whitehair and Daniels are keepers, IMHO.  Beyond that...yeah not much else.  

Current Redskins linemen Scherrf and Williams are mentioned in the below article as potential acquisitions through either Free Agency or trade: 

https://beargoggleson.com/2019/11/27/chicago-bears-offensive-linemen-free-agents-2020/

As much as I agree we need changes, I doubt with everyone on the oline being paid that we eat contracts.  With Whitehair and Daniels the youngest that is what we will build off of going forward.  Coward has played better as of late so I suspect he will be given every chance to succeed but with competition. The completion will be Bars and a new face. Draft or FAency. Bars and Lucas will be competing with Massie and Leno.  We definitely draft one but doubt it will be with the first 2 picks. I suspect we're looking at the same starting five again. If the play sucks as this year their will be options behind them to take over. The top 4 OTs will be gone before we draft so drafting in the second round doesn't guarantee a starter. So I think they just go for a prospect later in the draft. The second round will either be a top grade OG ( if they give up on Coward) or a pass rusher.  The draft will have a few in round 2. I think they grab a QB prospect also, in case MT doesn't succeed. 

So I see the best we can hope for is a top tier OG. 

7 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

As much as I agree we need changes, I doubt with everyone on the oline being paid that we eat contracts.  With Whitehair and Daniels the youngest that is what we will build off of going forward.  Coward has played better as of late so I suspect he will be given every chance to succeed but with competition. The completion will be Bars and a new face. Draft or FAency. Bars and Lucas will be competing with Massie and Leno.  We definitely draft one but doubt it will be with the first 2 picks. I suspect we're looking at the same starting five again. If the play sucks as this year their will be options behind them to take over. The top 4 OTs will be gone before we draft so drafting in the second round doesn't guarantee a starter. So I think they just go for a prospect later in the draft. The second round will either be a top grade OG ( if they give up on Coward) or a pass rusher.  The draft will have a few in round 2. I think they grab a QB prospect also, in case MT doesn't succeed. 

So I see the best we can hope for is a top tier OG. 

I hope they move Coward back out to OT, ideally give him reps at LT all offseason and see what happens.  Lucas has been ok at RT as a backup.  If it doesn't work out for Coward to take over for Leno then we have Coward/Lucas competing for backup OT.   Or all the work in a different stance helps Coward become one of those backups who can fill in at 4 positions which is very valuable.   

From there I'd give Bars the first crack at winning the RG spot.  

Then we add two in the draft:  OT and OG   

We still have Mustipher but he's got some physical limitations to his game in that he's not very nimble in space which won't help him on blocks at the 2nd level in the NFL.   Blocks at the 2nd level is one of the biggest issues our Oline has today.  I see him ending up on the practice squad again next year.  

I think Bars takes over somewhere next year . I would say RG , LT or RT. Lucas is a backup but played okay. How would Bars/ LT, Whitehair /LG- Daniels back at center, 2nd round RG and Coward at RT. How would that look to you guys. Massie and Leno backups for the year and then both cut at the end of next year.