PFF Mock Draft Simulator

adam

I think they're all in on winning this yr so they will try to find players can contribute this yr. Any QB they draft will not. His OTs are great prospects but both need to spend a yr gaining strength to compete on the NFL level. Cleveland could push Leno but with a shortened season this yr , probably not. 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I think they're all in on winning this yr so they will try to find players can contribute this yr. Any QB they draft will not. His OTs are great prospects but both need to spend a yr gaining strength to compete on the NFL level. Cleveland could push Leno but with a shortened season this yr , probably not. 

sadly, for my bet, I agree. Neither Cleveland nor Austin Jackson are ready for primetime in year 1 at OLT.

3 hours ago, AZ54 said:

AZ you gave me a lot to chew on. Really all you had to do was say you don’t like Gordon just like you say you don’t like DeShaun Watson because you’re sure Hopkins and Fuller bail him out.  Or you don’t like Mahomes because of all the playmakers around him; again not believing what he’s been able to do despite what ‘quantifying stats’ may say about either of them.  

Sure we can apply science to all these guys and predict what may come of them but coming out of college Mahomes was a ‘risky gunslinger’ like Winston but it’s pretty clear their careers are on different trajectories.  And Watson, although not really an eye popping performer statistically, somehow manages to get the best out of his team and himself; both in college and the pros.  

What happens IF (like last year) Foles gets injured and we’re back to *gulp* waiting to see how well Trubiksy can do for the rest of the year?  Many here are sure Bray won’t ever advance above where he has so far (although personally I wouldn’t mind seeing him play more). Wouldn’t it be good to have a QB in development for the following year?  Hell it doesn’t even have to be Gordon.  It’s just his stats looked good to me and his highlights show some pretty good accuracy and moxie.     Is this Gordon kid the next Tom Brady? Probably not (Brady actually only threw for ~4,600 and 30 TDs - IN HIS LAST TWO SEASONS combined at Michigan). But he’s done better than our current “Franchise QB” who is currently fighting for his job against a journeyman QB.  

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

What happens IF (like last year) Foles gets injured and we’re back to *gulp* waiting to see how well Trubiksy can do for the rest of the year?  Many here are sure Bray won’t ever advance above where he has so far (although personally I wouldn’t mind seeing him play more). Wouldn’t it be good to have a QB in development for the following year?  Hell it doesn’t even have to be Gordon.  It’s just his stats looked good to me and his highlights show some pretty good accuracy and moxie.     Is this Gordon kid the next Tom Brady? Probably not (Brady actually only threw for ~4,600 and 30 TDs - IN HIS LAST TWO SEASONS combined at Michigan). But he’s done better than our current “Franchise QB” who is currently fighting for his job against a journeyman QB.  

Are you suggesting Gordon is better than Trubisky?
For me, if Foles gets injured and Trubisky falters, I’d much rather go into an off-season knowing you need a QB than having a guy you drafted in the 5th-7th round that you’re not sure can do the job. Absolutely best case scenario you’re the Jaguars this year going into the offseason hoping Minshew is the guy. But history tells us they’d almost never the case. Maybe once in a decade a guy like that really emerges. The most successful QBs taken in the 5th-7th rounds in the last decade are probably Minshew, Tyrod Taylor, AJ McCarron, and Trevor Siemien. Anyone there excite you? Maybe they look OK in the short term, but they are guys you eventually look to replace.  Hell, there are years when no QB taken in the last three rounds of the draft ever start a game.  If next year’s Bears QBs fail, you fix it with a premier signing or premier draft pick, not pinning the teams hopes on a late round QB. 

4 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

AZ you gave me a lot to chew on. Really all you had to do was say you don’t like Gordon just like you say you don’t like DeShaun Watson because you’re sure Hopkins and Fuller bail him out.  Or you don’t like Mahomes because of all the playmakers around him; again not believing what he’s been able to do despite what ‘quantifying stats’ may say about either of them.  

Sure we can apply science to all these guys and predict what may come of them but coming out of college Mahomes was a ‘risky gunslinger’ like Winston but it’s pretty clear their careers are on different trajectories.  And Watson, although not really an eye popping performer statistically, somehow manages to get the best out of his team and himself; both in college and the pros.  

I never said I don't like Mahomes and you can go back and see my pre-draft thoughts where I said I had Trubisky as 1a and Mahomes as 1b.  Watson was #2.   It is correct that I don't see much difference between Watson and Trubisky but we'll find out now that Watson no longer has a top 3 WR to throw to.  Certainly Watson has had more success but watching him in his last playoff game (which he won) was as painful as any of the worst Trubisky games.  Even the announcers were struggling to put a positive spin on it but in the end he ran multipe times on the last drive for the winning TD, which was probably smart given how he was throwing the ball that day.  

If Mahomes didn't throw so many multiple INT games in college I'd have preferred him as 1a but after all those years with Cutler doing the same I was a bit gun shy.  He's had some of those same games in the NFL too but I never denied his arm talent.  I definitely think that offense has masked some of his tendencies to take risks and there's so much talent that it still often works for the best.   Alex Smith was Pro Bowl QB, and even MVP candidate running that same offense.  Nobody really wanted him.  

I live in AZ, I watched a couple games with Gordon with focus that maybe he'll be a good prospect for us.  I never saw it, in fact some of the stuff he did made me as frustrated as what Trubisky does.  On a positive note, like Trubisky he'll make some really nice off-schedule, off-platform throws that make you think there's much more potential there.  Then the arm strength is a bit lacking especially for our stadium.   For those reasons I think he'll end up a career backup. 

By the way that Morgan guy out of FIU has the same issue Trubisky has with side stepping as he throws and it causes him to throw off-target a lot, or short on deep passes.  I don't want him either as a draft pick.  I'd take either him or Gordon as a UDFA because that costs us nothing and we can try to fix the issues on the practice squad.  I simply view other positions or players as having better value for our roster than a guy I see as a career backup QB.  That's especially true when we already have two backups on the roster, and a 3rd stringer in Bray.   

I just think the most likely scenario is that we're looking for a new starting QB next year.  Trubisky has the physical talent to succeed but he fades in the spotlight and that hasn't changed at all in 3 years.  If we will need a legit starting QB in 2021 I think we should make the entire roster as good as it can be with our draft picks this year.   Fix OT, at least one side.  Then at least it's one position we focus on fixing next year.  Maybe it's Derek Carr we end up with in 2021?  That's why I like that Pace went out and got Quinn opposite Mack for the next few years.  Trevathan too along side Roquan, Jackson signed long term.  The D will give us a shot to win it all this year and next, with a little luck maybe in 2022 as well.    Maybe Andrew Luck decides he wants to play again?  

13 minutes ago, adam said:

I tried to accept all trades and get as much as I could in each trade. I ended up getting a S, 2x CBs, a RB/WR Hybrid, TE, QB, WR, and 2x T's. 

download (1).png

I'd be pretty OK with this, though I've been kind of rethinking my view of CB of late.  Namely, if we don't draft one in the 2nd, I'm not sure we need one.  What we really need is someone to challenger for the #2 CB spot, which you're probably only going to get with an early pick.  From a depth standpoint, we actually look pretty good: we have a nickel starter (Skrine) with a young back up (Shelley), We have several youngish big CBs who have shown some promise who are vying for a starting role (Tolliver, Roberson, Joseph).  And we have a young athletic wildcard in Denmark.  If we don't go CB early, I think I'd like to see what this group can do.

9 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Maybe it's Derek Carr we end up with in 2021?  That's why I like that Pace went out and got Quinn opposite Mack for the next few years.  Trevathan too along side Roquan, Jackson signed long term.  The D will give us a shot to win it all this year and next, with a little luck maybe in 2022 as well.    Maybe Andrew Luck decides he wants to play again?

I like both of those suggestions even better than drafting a new guy this year or next.  And ‘yes’ to the building of the D.  They should be able to impose their will and expect the offense to at least not go three and out immediately or turn the ball over .  

5 hours ago, dawhizz said:

I'd be pretty OK with this, though I've been kind of rethinking my view of CB of late.  Namely, if we don't draft one in the 2nd, I'm not sure we need one.  What we really need is someone to challenger for the #2 CB spot, which you're probably only going to get with an early pick.  From a depth standpoint, we actually look pretty good: we have a nickel starter (Skrine) with a young back up (Shelley), We have several youngish big CBs who have shown some promise who are vying for a starting role (Tolliver, Roberson, Joseph).  And we have a young athletic wildcard in Denmark.  If we don't go CB early, I think I'd like to see what this group can do.

Good point, I need to prioritize the positions like that (miss on starter and don't need depth, so don't waste a pick on that position).

7 hours ago, adam said:

I tried to accept all trades and get as much as I could in each trade. I ended up getting a S, 2x CBs, a RB/WR Hybrid, TE, QB, WR, and 2x T's. 

download (1).png

I did a draft last night before I went to bed , in PFN and got the first 4 picks the same  and I also picked Pinter later. I find it important to grab a speed WR in any draft I do so where you took Moss  , I took John Hightower.  I always try to target Antonio Gibson in every draft who actually could take the place of a WR since he played more WR at  Memphis than RB. 

7 hours ago, dawhizz said:

Like you , if we don't get one early, I think we would be okay with tolliver-Burns- Roberson at CB-2. Also don't forget Skine has played boundary corner before then we could put Shelley at nickel. That wouldn't be idea because Skine is short but he is a physical player.  So we don't necessarily need a starter coming out of this draft for CB2 spot. S is way more important because of lack of depth to get early. 

17 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

S is way more important because of lack of depth to get early. 

Look at us agreeing again!  

Agree the first or second pick the Bears need will be at Safety.  And not just any safety will do; we need to see a true ‘in the box’ short field cover safety.  I’m partial to SEC / prominent school safeties especially from Alabama.  I think we all agree that McKinney won’t be available any longer when then Bears go to pick.  I’m thinking Delpit might.  He’s got the pedigree we’re needing although he has a tendency to be a deep cover safety but has shown some nice short field ability.  One other top-5 prospect is Davis from Cal.  He seems to do well ‘in the box’ but comes from the PAC-12 where they have a lot of passing. So again he’s more a cover guy (IMHO).  

I submit two other names for consideration perhaps in the later rounds;  Shyheim Carter from Bama and Tanner Muse from Clemson.  Carter played second fiddle with McKinney and watching film on him makes me think he’s more what we need to compliment Jackson. He’s also been called the ‘jack of all trades’ in the defensive backfield for Bama due to his being able to play any position to include NB.  Although Muse is listed as a safety he measures at 6’2” 227# and runs about a 4.40 / 40.  Some think he could convert to LB (ala Urlacher) and might be a good late round pickup in that role. 

And ‘just because’ he’s from Georgia (due to our getting a lot of players from there recently and Roquan says good things about him) Safety JR Reed.  

Bottom line the Safety talent this year is deep and the Bears could be in a decent  position to get a pretty good one.  

39 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Agree the first or second pick the Bears need will be at Safety.  And not just any safety will do; we need to see a true ‘in the box’ short field cover safety.  I’m partial to SEC / prominent school safeties especially from Alabama.  I think we all agree that McKinney won’t be available any longer when then Bears go to pick.  I’m thinking Delpit might.  He’s got the pedigree we’re needing although he has a tendency to be a deep cover safety but has shown some nice short field ability.  One other top-5 prospect is Davis from Cal.  He seems to do well ‘in the box’ but comes from the PAC-12 where they have a lot of passing. So again he’s more a cover guy (IMHO).  

I submit two other names for consideration perhaps in the later rounds;  Shyheim Carter from Bama and Tanner Muse from Clemson.  Carter played second fiddle with McKinney and watching film on him makes me think he’s more what we need to compliment Jackson. He’s also been called the ‘jack of all trades’ in the defensive backfield for Bama due to his being able to play any position to include NB.  Although Muse is listed as a safety he measures at 6’2” 227# and runs about a 4.40 / 40.  Some think he could convert to LB (ala Urlacher) and might be a good late round pickup in that role. 

And ‘just because’ he’s from Georgia (due to our getting a lot of players from there recently and Roquan says good things about him) Safety JR Reed.  

Bottom line the Safety talent this year is deep and the Bears could be in a decent  position to get a pretty good one.  

There's also the possibility of a "2 birds, 1 stone" approach where we could look at a safety who can both be a compliment to Jackson at safety, but also has experience at CB and can maybe line up in man coverage with Bush coming in at safety on obvious passing downs.  I'm thinking of guys like Winfield (early) or Julian Blackmon (later). 

2 hours ago, dawhizz said:

Been having trouble with the PFF draft simulator, but managed to get it to work and came out with this, which didn't get a very good grade but I'd be pretty happy with.

draft.png

I like some of it; Winfield (I think), Wonogho and Moss.  Moss being my personal ‘sleeper favorite’.  Not sure why he’s being projected so low in mock drafts as he seems to possess some of his dads talent.  

What is a ‘DI’?  Other than drill instructor?   

44 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I like some of it; Winfield (I think), Wonogho and Moss.  Moss being my personal ‘sleeper favorite’.  Not sure why he’s being projected so low in mock drafts as he seems to possess some of his dads talent.  

What is a ‘DI’?  Other than drill instructor?   

I think it’s defensive lineman(?). Tuszka is an edge prospect.

https://m.herosports.com/fcs/football-2020-ndsu-derrek-tuszka-stock-nfl-draft-bzbz

17 minutes ago, dawhizz said:

I think it’s defensive lineman(?). Tuszka is an edge prospect.

https://m.herosports.com/fcs/football-2020-ndsu-derrek-tuszka-stock-nfl-draft-bzbz

Ah yes I’ve heard of him.  Comes from Wentz’ alma mater.  Looks good on paper, did well at the combine (1st overall for DLmen on the three cone drill).  Highlight films look good too.  Might be another nice sleeper add where you have him. 

6 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

2 high prospects that will be available to us are Chinn and Duggar.  They both come from small schools.  I think they both end up being good players but will probably take a yr or 2 to develop.  Going by GBNDREPORT big board. 

25. Delpit

28 McKinney 

49. Winfield Jr

56  Chinn

62 Davis 

76  Burgess 

89. Duggar 

Winfield jr. Is a good player but at 5'9" being a box safety, wiii have a hard time covering TEs one of the jobs that are required.  So I don't think we take him. If McKinney or Delpit drop , they will jump on it .Maybe Chinn? Otherwise you would be reaching for value at anyone else at our spots. If we trade back Davis comes into play and would fit quite nicely.  He is a good box type safety and one I would like. 

If we go by the BPA strategy , we won't draft one early unless the top 2 drop. OL and WR are the 2 best high positional grades and will more likely have players drop for value picks. 

Later picks that could work around our 163 pick are Brandon Jones- JR Reed - Gino Stone.  I think will be more likely  our choice when we pick one for value. They all fit better as box safeties that FS. 

3 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Ah yes I’ve heard of him.  Comes from Wentz’ alma mater.  Looks good on paper, did well at the combine (1st overall for DLmen on the three cone drill).  Highlight films look good too.  Might be another nice sleeper add where you have him. 

He looks like a decent late round prospect.  That 3-cone time of 6.8 is ridiculous.  His biggest drawback is his short arms (31 3/8") and NFL OTs will make it hard for him to get off blocks if he can't win early.  That will keep him from ever being a run down player  but his quickness and agility might get you a rotational pass rusher and good special teams player.   He might bring more to the table than Irving does.   

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

2 high prospects that will be available to us are Chinn and Duggar.  They both come from small schools.  I think they both end up being good players but will probably take a yr or 2 to develop.  Going by GBNDREPORT big board. 

25. Delpit

28 McKinney 

49. Winfield Jr

56  Chinn

62 Davis 

76  Burgess 

89. Duggar 

Winfield jr. Is a good player but at 5'9" being a box safety, wiii have a hard time covering TEs one of the jobs that are required.  So I don't think we take him. If McKinney or Delpit drop , they will jump on it .Maybe Chinn? Otherwise you would be reaching for value at anyone else at our spots. If we trade back Davis comes into play and would fit quite nicely.  He is a good box type safety and one I would like. 

If we go by the BPA strategy , we won't draft one early unless the top 2 drop. OL and WR are the 2 best high positional grades and will more likely have players drop for value picks. 

Later picks that could work around our 163 pick are Brandon Jones- JR Reed - Gino Stone.  I think will be more likely  our choice when we pick one for value. They all fit better as box safeties that FS. 

Geno Stone would fit the bill as a late draft pick, he's very good as a downhill player, but his highlights don't include anything in man coverage (zone yes) so that's telling.   This late in the draft you pick and choose your strengths/weaknesses.  JR Reed seems like more of a smart coverage type, maybe without the deep speed you really want on the backend but versatile.  Jones looks like he's somewhere in the middle of the two.  All are good options for us.  There are a few others in the 4th/5th Rd range that look like they can contribute this year.   

Where did you get those overall rankings?  That's the first time I've seen Delpit ranked ahead of McKinney.  It's more data proving the point that DB rankings both CB and S are all over the place in this draft.  

I used GBNDREPORT big board.  I like their draft site. Also

Draft COUNTDOWN 

Matt Miller ( bleacher report)check out his big board, a lot of names I haven't seen on other websites. 

Ourlads

PROFOOTBALLNETWORK. 

Thanks.  Matt Miller I check on weekly.  I really like his insight on the later rounds.  I haven't stopped by GBN or Ourlads in a long time so I need to do so.   

At PROFOOTBALLNETWORK.COM they have at the bottom of the page by the copyright posting that says

MOCK DRAFT SIMULATOR  

Click on that and it has a user friendly format and you can trade and it's free. 20200415_160709.jpgthis one I had one trade with Cincinnati

Gave 43 and got 65- 141-147 . I don't if it's a good value but it gave me 2 extra picks.  I keep seeing Higgins drop and everything I read on him sounds positive but he fell out of the first round and not sure why.

I always read their profile from this site and also Dane Buglers draft guide to make decisions.  I subscribed to the Athletic and it's free with that membership.  

At PROFOOTBALLNETWORK.COM they have at the bottom of the page by the copyright posting that says

MOCK DRAFT SIMULATOR  

Click on that and it has a user friendly format and you can trade and it's free. 20200415_160709.jpgthis one I had one trade with Cincinnati

Gave 43 and got 65- 141-147 . I don't if it's a good value but it gave me 2 extra picks.  I keep seeing Higgins drop and everything I read on him sounds positive but he fell out of the first round and not sure why.

I always read their profile from this site and also Dane Buglers draft guide to make decisions.  I subscribed to the Athletic and it's free with that membership.  

I love that draft.  It would be miraculous for Higgins to fall that far though.

I keep seeing Higgins drop and everything I read on him sounds positive but he fell out of the first round and not sure why.

Color me interested. Been keeping tabs on Higgins as he’s one of those big body receivers I think Chicago needs.

Sounds like he did well at Clemson even tying both Sammy Watkins and Deondre Hopkins with his number of total TDs.  But a knock on him that I saw in one article was his limited route tree (although he can play any receiver spot).  And that he lacks “unimaginative” separation techniques. The article below explains some of this a bit more to include his ‘lack of physicality’ .  They predict he’ll fall more likely to the second round due to a few other higher tier WRs ahead of him and that most teams value Olinemen over WRs.  If he shows up where the Bears pick in the 2nd it sure would be hard to pass up.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/nfl-draft-2020-buyer-beware-on-jordan-love-tee-higgins-and-these-other-top-prospects/