Dwayne Haskins

Alaskan Grizzly

There are rumors Washington may be looking to move Haskins after demoting him to third string last week.  He’s on a rookie contract for one more year(?). Any thought of seeing how he might fit into the Bears offense?  Would Washington be willing to do a straight up trade for Trubisky?  He had a 13-1 record in college while playing for Ohio State and finished third in the Heisman voting in 2018.

I linked his Wikipedia page as it gives a bit more depth to his background. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwayne_Haskins

It's amazing how close their career arcs have been:

- Both were stuck behind QBs in college who didn't make it to the NFL
- Both only had one year as a true starter
- Both had big years, though Haskins was waaayyy better, their last year before the draft
- Both came out of school early
- Both were first round draft picks and 1 of 3 QBs taken in that round
- Both ended up starting games their rookie years
- Both were benched for vets

I don't know, college is such a different game that if you went solely off college stats, guys like Kevin Kolb and Colt McCoy would be All-Pro NFL QBs. To me he has similar traits as Trubisky, athletic but can't read a defense to save his life. That scares me about him, especially after dealing with Trubisky for so many years hoping that this year would be the year he graduates to 201. 

1 hour ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Now that Haskins is out there, does that diminish Trubiskys trade value? If they are both available, who would another team prefer? 

Given all the thoughts Adam shared I have to say the ‘favor’ goes to Haskins - however slight.  He’s got one less year in the league and has had two offenses/coaches to try and adapt to.  Trubiksy has truly only had one; can’t really count his time with Fox.  The question to ask is Haskins’ ability (or not) to play NFL level offense because of all the changes or  something else?

36 minutes ago, McGowan said:

What about Darnold? I think he might be ok if they get him away from the tirefire that is the NY Jets. 

If the Jets really want to move on I'd throw them a 5th round pick and Mitch. 

Darnold is much better than both of them. 

I'd prefer to see Pace draft a QB. How many times have the Bears tried to resurrect the career of a QB who lost favor with the team that drafted him? It's rare that it works out for the team looking for help at QB. The Bears have lost their ass every time, including twice giving up two first rounders for a QB that never lived up to our expectations. If Pace picks up another bargain basement QB, he just has another lame excuse to ignore the position in the draft. And while I'm on my soap box, I cannot understand why the Bears seem to fall in love with players in the draft with measurables and potential instead of 3 or 4 years of high level production. Please, no more one year wonders drafted in the first round. Okay, I'm done ranting. I feel much better. :lol:

9 minutes ago, Pixote said:

And while I'm on my soap box, I cannot understand why the Bears seem to fall in love with players in the draft with measurables and potential instead of 3 or 4 years of high level production. Please, no more one year wonders drafted in the first round. Okay, I'm done ranting. I feel much better. 

Bill Parcells is that you?  Lol.  Isn’t that exactly the same type of thing he would say?  And by the way, I agree with. 

9 hours ago, Pixote said:

I'd prefer to see Pace draft a QB. How many times have the Bears tried to resurrect the career of a QB who lost favor with the team that drafted him? It's rare that it works out for the team looking for help at QB. The Bears have lost their ass every time, including twice giving up two first rounders for a QB that never lived up to our expectations. If Pace picks up another bargain basement QB, he just has another lame excuse to ignore the position in the draft. And while I'm on my soap box, I cannot understand why the Bears seem to fall in love with players in the draft with measurables and potential instead of 3 or 4 years of high level production. Please, no more one year wonders drafted in the first round. Okay, I'm done ranting. I feel much better. :lol:

Pix,
I agree, the odds of hitting on a rookie seems higher than trying to resurrect a journeyman who has failed elsewhere. Before Trubisky, the last 3 QBs drafted were David Fales (6th) in 2014, Nathan Enderle (5th) in 2011, and Dan LeFevour (6th) in 2010. 

Enderle is a funny one, they passed on Tyrod Taylor, Charles Clay (TE) and Pernell McPhee, who all went within 20 picks after Enderle. 

On 10/14/2020 at 10:52 PM, Pixote said:

Hence the disdain for the simpletons running the organization who, year after year, can't see the forest (Deshaun Watson) for the trees (Mitch Trubisky).

I honestly think Trubisky was as put into a position to fail. A coach that ignores the running game, a horrible offensive line and a lack of receiving options out of ARob. 

As a firm anti Grossman poster from back in the day, I won’t be hypocritical and push the narrative that he should be starting or saying just wait and see. I do honestly wonder what would happen if he had went to the chiefs instead of Mahomes and his situation. 

I’m not implying Trubisky would be better than Mahomes, only that I would like to see the QB he could have been. It was a situation molded for him to learn. You start out with a successful head coach and talent at every position on offense. He would have had a year to sit and learn behind Alex Smith, who started out similarly. Alex turned into a pretty smart and good QB, but was drafted based on his combine and having the prototypical QB mold. I think getting Trubisky would be a completely different qb if he had experienced being in that situation. 

1 hour ago, 'TD' said:

I honestly think Trubisky was as put into a position to fail. A coach that ignores the running game, a horrible offensive line and a lack of receiving options out of ARob. 

As a firm anti Grossman poster from back in the day, I won’t be hypocritical and push the narrative that he should be starting or saying just wait and see. I do honestly wonder what would happen if he had went to the chiefs instead of Mahomes and his situation. 

I’m not implying Trubisky would be better than Mahomes, only that I would like to see the QB he could have been. It was a situation molded for him to learn. You start out with a successful head coach and talent at every position on offense. He would have had a year to sit and learn behind Alex Smith, who started out similarly. Alex turned into a pretty smart and good QB, but was drafted based on his combine and having the prototypical QB mold. I think getting Trubisky would be a completely different qb if he had experienced being in that situation. 

I agree that the OL and play calling hasnt helped Mitch. But at this point in his career, he should be able to identify coverages, and go through his progressions. I think he is a bust, and would have been no matter where he played.

4 hours ago, 'TD' said:

Better OL, weapons and Andy Reid is a monster improvement in situation for anyone.  I feel Trubisky could be good there. The main question is this, would he hit that wide open receiver running deep.  Mahomes rarely misses that guy.

6 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Better OL, weapons and Andy Reid is a monster improvement in situation for anyone.  I feel Trubisky could be good there. The main question is this, would he hit that wide open receiver running deep.  Mahomes rarely misses that guy.

I just am curious where he would be development wise where he wouldn’t be rushed on those long throws, or more used to throwing them because his wrs could get open. I’m not saying he would be Mahomes, just as a QB he’d had a better chance to learn his progressions and the game better. Where he got a year to learn instead of being in the position he was to start 

23 hours ago, 'TD' said:

I just am curious where he would be development wise where he wouldn’t be rushed on those long throws, or more used to throwing them because his wrs could get open. I’m not saying he would be Mahomes, just as a QB he’d had a better chance to learn his progressions and the game better. Where he got a year to learn instead of being in the position he was to start 

Nagy should know what Reid is doing if he wants to replicate. He has his own twist which is going against percentages because going against percentages creates a small window for genius or crazy..been crazy so far.  It is that or we have a bunch of players that after 3 years have no clue what to do. I think if we got Ballard instead of Pace and Reich  instead of Nagy we would feel better about the direction.  Nagy is all or nothing.  If they don't get it this year we have nothing and are screwed at QB and oline. Just glad we are 4-1 and should win Sunday in the last minute of the 4th.

8 hours ago, 'TD' said:

Agreed.  Unfortunately, it is in his head and that's the hardest thing to fix.

10 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Nagy should know what Reid is doing if he wants to replicate.

Good point. If anyone knows what Reid is doing, it's Nagy.

I think Trubisky was going to be a bust no matter where he went. The playcalling and OL has just made things worse, but I dont see Trubisky being a stud QB no matter where he plays.

12 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

Good point. If anyone knows what Reid is doing, it's Nagy.

I think Trubisky was going to be a bust no matter where he went. The playcalling and OL has just made things worse, but I dont see Trubisky being a stud QB no matter where he plays.

Maybe, never know.  Trubisky's drawback is reading D zones. He has talent but cannot grasp the learning. Ragone has been with him from day one, maybe he was a bad teacher. I think talent can arise with the right mentorship and surroundings. He fell off when the team had talent to win it all and he lost the surrounding support (teammates).  If Parkey hit the FG to advance would Trubisky be different? Success depends on many factors.  So what do the Bears do to become relevant for years? They need the QB for that and it is looking like they will be out of reach for a couple years. If they miss the playoffs, maybe dismantle. Trade assets for picks etc and go through the rebuild again. If I was Pace/Nagy, with this D, I would have beefed the oline and RB stable and win by old school grind it out. 

10 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Maybe, never know.  Trubisky's drawback is reading D zones. He has talent but cannot grasp the learning. Ragone has been with him from day one, maybe he was a bad teacher. I think talent can arise with the right mentorship and surroundings. He fell off when the team had talent to win it all and he lost the surrounding support (teammates).  If Parkey hit the FG to advance would Trubisky be different? Success depends on many factors.  So what do the Bears do to become relevant for years? They need the QB for that and it is looking like they will be out of reach for a couple years. If they miss the playoffs, maybe dismantle. Trade assets for picks etc and go through the rebuild again. If I was Pace/Nagy, with this D, I would have beefed the oline and RB stable and win by old school grind it out. 

I agree with your recipe.

They tried to baby Trubisky, which is basically like Nagy trying to play QB from the sideline. I assume that is because he wasn't getting it on the field.

I just don't think Trubisky sees the defense correctly. Contrast this with how Foles solved the TB defense last week on the rub-rub audible, and you can see how severely Trubisky has been lacking.

But yeah the OL has been atrocious, no matter who has been under center. It is a miracle that Foles was able to do what he did with such little time for protection, and such little time for receivers to get open.

1 hour ago, BearFan NYC said:

But yeah the OL has been atrocious, no matter who has been under center. It is a miracle that Foles was able to do what he did with such little time for protection, and such little time for receivers to get open.

Just had to get me started didn't ya, lol.  Been on the OL kick for 15 years.  OL has the highest success rate, of all the positions, when drafted in the first two rounds.  So, why not do it?  Why not be able to run to help your QB?  It's no wonder we can't develop our QB's.  When the leaders of the franchise are content with having the team draw fans and buy jerseys, you can't build.

On 10/16/2020 at 7:43 AM, jason said:

Hence the disdain for the simpletons running the organization who, year after year, can't see the forest (Deshaun Watson) for the trees (Mitch Trubisky).

I just hope we see them invest in the line this offseason. Sick and tired of ignoring the oline. By the way good to see you back around Jason! Hope all is well!