Is this Trubisky different?

adam

I know there has been a lot of buzz during this last few game stretch where Trubisky has looked better. So I tried to see if anything stood out in this most recent 3-game stretch that was something we have not seen, at least from a numbers perspective, in his entire career.

I did find one set of numbers that stood out. In 44 games where Trubisky had 20 or more passing attempts, he has only had a completion percentage over 70% in 14 games. 3 of those have occurred in the last 3 weeks. That really stood out to me. Obviously, the coaches have made some changes to make things easier on him, which has had led to some promising results. 

I however do not know if it will be enough to keep him around or if that type of play is sustainable because he is still one of, if not the worst deep ball QB in the game, and at some point that has to be fixed or teams will stack the box for both the run and short passes. This is still a concern for me:

qb-grid-chart_TRU215336_2020-REG-all_160

25 minutes ago, adam said:

I however do not know if it will be enough to keep him around or if that type of play is sustainable because he is still one of, if not the worst deep ball QB in the game, and at some point that has to be fixed or teams will stack the box for both the run and short passes. This is still a concern for me:

That's the thing that may damn him.  You have to at least have the threat of it in your game.  Watch Brees throw under coverage 95 percent of the time, then bam!  That's why he stays successful.  Trubisky was highly rated for the deep ball coming out of college, so there is a chance he relaxes enough one day to regain the touch.  IMO, it's all between his ears.

20 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

That's the thing that may damn him.  You have to at least have the threat of it in your game.  Watch Brees throw under coverage 95 percent of the time, then bam!  That's why he stays successful.  Trubisky was highly rated for the deep ball coming out of college, so there is a chance he relaxes enough one day to regain the touch.  IMO, it's all between his ears.

Yeah, look at Wentz. What the hell happened there? He was an MVP candidate within the last few years and lost his job to a rookie. Goff has been nothing but a system QB, but he can throw the deep ball. I looked at Goff's stats, this guy has had 4x games with a QBR under 40 (3 under 20 which is almost impossible) and 4 over 80. Talk about Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, you have no clue which QB you are going to get. One of his worst games this year was against the Jets.

Now all of a sudden Mayfield is a top 10 QB. I find it funny that Mayfield gets all this credit for being a great QB when he is about to have 2x 1000 yard rushers, and for at least half the season had 3x All-Star pass catchers (Beckham, Landry, and Hooper) behind one of the best lines in football. 

So we will see how Trubisky measures up to Mayfield who had 19-29, 65.5%, 258 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT against JAX a few weeks ago.

To answer the question of the thread; yes Trubisky is different.  He is finally in a situation where an offensive gameplay is tailored to his strengths instead of Nagy's.  Nagy truly needs a huge bitchslap for jacking with Mitch the last 3 years.   What we are seeing is Trubisky in his natural element.  He's able to find confidence with a type of offense that he's able to command.  He's earned another year or two with the Bears.  Terms should be creative so the team and Mitch get the contract commensurate to the results of play.  He is who he is and we can win with him.  He just won't be a Rodgers type apex predator QB.

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

To answer the question of the thread; yes Trubisky is different.  He is finally in a situation where an offensive gameplay is tailored to his strengths instead of Nagy's.  Nagy truly needs a huge bitchslap for jacking with Mitch the last 3 years.   What we are seeing is Trubisky in his natural element.  He's able to find confidence with a type of offense that he's able to command.  He's earned another year or two with the Bears.  Terms should be creative so the team and Mitch get the contract commensurate to the results of play.  He is who he is and we can win with him.  He just won't be a Rodgers type apex predator QB.

If Nagy is back, does Mitch want to play for the HC that "blindsided" him? Also, if he plays well in the next two games, there may be more suitors with bigger caps than just the Bears. 

It all starts with the line and play calling. 

They have a productive running game going, which most games he’s throw a high numbers of passes he didn’t have one. 

The line is doing a little better giving him time. He’s also not having Tariq Cohen running up the gut on 3rd and 2 plays putting the team in a bad situation where he has to force plays as a result later in the game. 

I wouldn’t say he has changed, he’s just not in as bad of a crap show situation he has been in most games as a bear. 

Really, the changes that have been made are more of the team like letting him roll out, and less lessons learned by himself and changes he made. 

I think he can be an Alex Smith with potential for more with the right moves in staff and players brought in 

I think Nagy has been trying to play QB from the sidelines. He sees Trubisky as a kind of robot to execute his plays that should just work. ANd of course, QB is a lot more than that. And given the number of total mental lapses that Trubisky continues to make - throwing into triple coverage, making the wrong read etc, I think it is safe to say he will never be a great QB.

I know that if you game plan a first read to be open, it can look good play to play. And that's Nagy playing QB from the sideline. But as soon as you need any kind of leadership or added value from the QB, Trubisky falters.

Will we keep him next year while a rookie learns under him? If that makes cap sense and you need to do it fine. But that's just about managing his way out the door, and not about growing him into a real QB, but replacing him.

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

The problem is Foles has 10.5 mil coming that if we cut him it becomes dead money, no cap saving. According to Over The Cap. I think they will decide over a drafted QB or MT. Not both. 

I think Foles has a key that allows him to walk out if he wants too, but I don't see another team paying him more for his services.

3 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

I think Nagy has been trying to play QB from the sidelines. He sees Trubisky as a kind of robot to execute his plays that should just work. ANd of course, QB is a lot more than that.

Man,  I hope that's not the way it is, but it is plausible.  Nagy couldn't do it, so he should understand that Mitch has his strengths and weaknesses.

2 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I think Foles has a key that allows him to walk out if he wants too, but I don't see another team paying him more for his services.

There was a story (or two) I read that says Doug Pedersen and the Eagles may want him back especially if Wentz ends up getting sent packing.  Which as of right now is very likely.  They’d like a proven vet in their system to backing up what could be their new starter in Jalen Hurts.  

If anyone wants to crown Trubisky's ass, then crown him. But the fact remains, Trubisky is who we thought he was. It's time to move on. Overpaying an average guy who 99% of Bears' fans wanted to cut just two months ago is a horrendous idea, especially when his recent "improvement" is more about game-planning than anything he did personally, and is just average to begin with anyway. Let's be real; he's averaging 250ypg, 2TDs, 1INT over the last five games. That's not exactly stellar; it's just a glass of tepid water for Bears' fans crawling through the QB Wasteland for so many years. 

4 hours ago, jason said:

If anyone wants to crown Trubisky's ass, then crown him. But the fact remains, Trubisky is who we thought he was. It's time to move on. Overpaying an average guy who 99% of Bears' fans wanted to cut just two months ago is a horrendous idea, especially when his recent "improvement" is more about game-planning than anything he did personally, and is just average to begin with anyway. Let's be real; he's averaging 250ypg, 2TDs, 1INT over the last five games. That's not exactly stellar; it's just a glass of tepid water for Bears' fans crawling through the QB Wasteland for so many years. 

Nice Post, Jason. 

That being said....Trubisky might be able to be like Goff if the OC uses him properly. That's patently average. 

5 hours ago, jason said:

If anyone wants to crown Trubisky's ass, then crown him. But the fact remains, Trubisky is who we thought he was. It's time to move on. Overpaying an average guy who 99% of Bears' fans wanted to cut just two months ago is a horrendous idea, especially when his recent "improvement" is more about game-planning than anything he did personally,

Nice ode to Dennis Green there.  

I don’t think anyone here suggested he be overpaid, just kept because he knows the system.  The cap will preclude the team from “over-paying” him regardless of how well he may have actually improved.  I really don’t think both Pace and Nagy will be gone next year. Maybe one, but not both.  Nagy does still have an overall winning record and whether it was against crappy teams or not these last few games have been pretty impressive.  Especially for the offense who have historically looked bad.  And he’s got the team on the precipice of making the playoffs again. This next game will be a true measure of where the team and Trubiksy are.  

9 hours ago, jason said:

I don't think anyone wants to crown him except the media.  It's funny how that worm has turned.  We will not crown his ass, lol.

My final judgement on Trubisky will be Sunday.  We know he can play winning football of things are good around him.  What want to see is if he can rise to the occasion on a big night.  Last big opportunity he had like this was when we lost to Philly in the playoffs.  He didn't play well that game, but did put us in position for the double doink.  

I don't believe he will ever be worthy of the spot he was chosen, as he simply has never put the team on his back.  Can he?  Sure.  Will he?  Meh...

14 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I don't think anyone wants to crown him except the media.  It's funny how that worm has turned.  We will not crown his ass, lol.

My final judgement on Trubisky will be Sunday.  We know he can play winning football of things are good around him.  What want to see is if he can rise to the occasion on a big night.  Last big opportunity he had like this was when we lost to Philly in the playoffs.  He didn't play well that game, but did put us in position for the double doink.  

I don't believe he will ever be worthy of the spot he was chosen, as he simply has never put the team on his back.  Can he?  Sure.  Will he?  Meh...

That's fair.....but Idk if there's a better option for 2021 than Mitch. At least you know you can get average play and semi-competency on him if you keep it to 200 level NFL QB play or lower. The difference between Trubisky and Goff is that McVay never let Goff try the 3-400 level stuff, while Nagy attempted to let Trubisky jump from JuCo to University level QB play.  

1 hour ago, McGowan said:

That's fair.....but Idk if there's a better option for 2021 than Mitch. At least you know you can get average play and semi-competency on him if you keep it to 200 level NFL QB play or lower. The difference between Trubisky and Goff is that McVay never let Goff try the 3-400 level stuff, while Nagy attempted to let Trubisky jump from JuCo to University level QB play.  

I'm already on record that I want him back for two years while we draft for the future.

3 hours ago, McGowan said:

During last weekend’s game I heard Rich Gannon comment on how well Trubisky has adapted to this new version of the offense.  That is Lazor’s adaptation of it.  Gannon noted that with the new scheme and having Trubiksy roll out more he is ‘halving’ the field and allowing Mitch to see less and put players more in his field of view so he doesn’t have to scan as much. We all know one of Mitch’s largest flaws is his ability to ‘see’ the whole field.  They’re also able to get more effective  play action due in part of the oline’s improved play and Montgomery being able to run more.  All effective tweaks that Lazor has been able to deploy.  A lot of the offenses progress is owed to him.   

I saw an article recently that talked about who the QB for the Bears would be next year and most of it centered around the idea of drafting a QB next year.  The troubling part would be who would support that QB assuming neither Foles or Trubisky were to come back for whatever reason.  The top three names mentioned were Garappolo, Newton and Winston.  Of those three I would only be interested in Winston due to his strong potential to do well.  The other two have had their chance and especially in Newton’s case, failed miserably.  Funny thing is I could see both NE and SF looking at someone like Trubisky to be their next guy.  NE has something like $50 million in cap space so money isn’t an issue for them.  All that being said, I’d prefer Mitch come back.  Even if they lose this weekend.  

Not a lot of options out there in FAgency or picking around 20 in the draft so bringing him back may be the best option. I personally hope they have someone in the draft available to us that could be a starter by the end of 2021 and move on to something different. MT isnt taking anyone to the SB, someone else may have that chance. 

36 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Not a lot of options out there in FAgency or picking around 20 in the draft so bringing him back may be the best option. I personally hope they have someone in the draft available to us that could be a starter by the end of 2021 and move on to something different. MT isnt taking anyone to the SB, someone else may have that chance. 

exactly. if Trubisky is the best placeholder, then so be it - but he is NOT the future.

I don't understand why some would want to keep Trubisky.  first I don't think he wants to return.  He can get more from other teams than we can pay. We all know what his ceiling is.  And I don't see reason for taking a free agent like Prescott that would  break the bank and  then to mortgage the future and get rid of  a lot of good players.  Swing for the fences in the draft but not with trading up.  Better than trying again  swing for FA's.   To keep Trubisky it will take more than he's worth.  We still won't have a QB for the future, no cap space without cutting some good players.  Re structuring contracts and pay them down the road.  Which has gotten us where they are today.  Cut bait.  Run with Foles for the next year or two and rebuild thru the draft.   Cut some of the overpaid vets or try and trade them to get cap space and Picks.  This team as is is not going anywhere for at least two years.  Kicking the can down the road for Trubisky or any of the high priced free agents will just keep us where we are.