This Is What Pace Tells McCaskey

BearFan PHX

Pace said:

“There’s a window here to improve our team. … We have foundation pieces in place on our roster. We’ve proven we have a playoff ready roster; we’ve been there two of the last three years and we’ve got a lot of young talent we need to develop. Obviously our expectations are much higher than that. But it’s about building upon what we already have, making the necessary strides. That’s a big one that we’re talking about right now and I understand that. But we do feel like we have a lot of foundation pieces in place, a lot of good talent on our roster, and it’s our job to add to that.”

https://heavy.com/sports/chicago-bears/release-offensive-lineman-rashaad-coward/?fbclid=IwAR31rOoFQeh3g-mApjsQRm5ol2vh7FfEYWgs_2fcg59ZATiyvTlSZ5U51eI

They are deluding themselves. Mack's impact on the defense a couple years ago is not still apparent. Jackson has been nowhere near the player he was. Quinn is a lost cause. The OL has been swiss cheese. Seriously where are the pieces in place?

Allen Robinson is a good WR, but we have no QB and no ability to protect him if we did.

Akeim Hicks is a good DE, but he is getting older and wasnt very effective this past year.

David Montgomery is a good RB, but few RBs can lead an offense in the modern game, and you need to open holes for them to run through.

Roquan Smith a good up and coming ILB, and if you occupy him, you can beat Trevathan with routes in the same area of the field.

Kole Kmet might become an actual starter this year.

WR Mooney and CB Johnson look like competent youngsters.

Is this the core of a playoff team? Are we one doink away?

It's crazy. Fire Nagy. Fire Pace and even more importantly fire McCaskey for letting it continue to go on this year.

I have zero expectations for next season.  I think the Bears are gonna over pay or give away the farm on a QB who isn't worth it. Which will leave us with no draft picks to help fix the O line.  Or they are gonna get the next "project" QB and then draft the opposite of what we need.  Gonna be a shit show either way with no real hope of any change.  Depressing. 

55 minutes ago, OmahaBear said:

I have zero expectations for next season.  I think the Bears are gonna over pay or give away the farm on a QB who isn't worth it. Which will leave us with no draft picks to help fix the O line.  Or they are gonna get the next "project" QB and then draft the opposite of what we need.  Gonna be a shit show either way with no real hope of any change.  Depressing. 

my only hope is that McCaskey is making them live with the mess they created for a year, and has limited what they can do with future draft picks.

They keep touting that we made the playoffs 2 of the last 3 seasons.  But had the NFL not added a 7th playoff spot for each conference this past season, we would have miss the playoffs 2 out of those same three seasons.  They act like beating crappy teams after dropping 6 straight this year is a positive, as they acted like we responded well after a similar losing skid last year.  When Nagy has the gall to say in the press conference that coaching is a strength of this team.  They are not living in reality, sadly, for us fans it means looking towards a wasted season.  

4 hours ago, BearFan2000 said:

They keep touting that we made the playoffs 2 of the last 3 seasons.  But had the NFL not added a 7th playoff spot for each conference this past season, we would have miss the playoffs 2 out of those same three seasons.  They act like beating crappy teams after dropping 6 straight this year is a positive, as they acted like we responded well after a similar losing skid last year.  When Nagy has the gall to say in the press conference that coaching is a strength of this team.  They are not living in reality, sadly, for us fans it means looking towards a wasted season.  

absolutely agree, let's just hope they cant trade away the future trying to make this year work.

11 hours ago, OmahaBear said:

Great points OmahaBear.  I typically am a half glass full optimist but Maybe ConnorBear is right and the second city does need a new NFL franchise to give us an escape from the McCaskey’s!  This team used to be very good at managing the cap and now everything seems so bleak and we have more needs to fill and no financial latitude to fix this shit show!  They can't draft, develop players and now there is no financial ability or draft capital to address all the needs. Maybe they need to blow it all up and do a complete rebuild starting with a QB and two top OT’s in the first round. Trade Mack, Hicks and even Fuller get as many top 100 picks as possible and start building this team the right way. This of course won't happen until Pace and Nagy are gone as they seem heading down the path of selling out for a veteran QB only to completely bankrupt team resources and precious  draft capital. So once again we will see the fruit of desperation further kick the can down the road on a total gut and rebuild job.  Feeling hopeless in Chicago, even though it's been a couple decades since I left the Windy city and moved to Denver!

We are likely to be average (again) and unless they draft a QB that has a big upside, I see both Pace and Nagy gone but that will be a year from now. That does not detract me from hoping we are a winning team and the team has a good draft and we improve. Its easy to be negative and cash in, if you like being like that then change teams. I try to be optimistic and realistic at the same time, hard to do with this team. I do not see the purpose of constantly calling for the outing of Pace and Nagy when it isnt happening this year. I personally think that is one year away so I look at how we can improve the team and maybe get lucky at QB. Wilson or Watson arent happening but maybe we get lucky with ending up with a Mac Jones or Kyle Trask and they turn out good. Our foundation is probably average as far as rating rosters in the NFL.

Plus players: Mack is an above average player even if he hasnt lived up to his salary

Fuller is above average and been concisely  good

EJAC is not living up to his contract but that does not make him bad, hopefully just had a bad year

Hicks with injuries has not had as big an impact but is still very good when healthy.

Trevathan is a good player admitting he's starting to slow but a good leader, played much better the second half. (pandemic related effect)

Goldman is above average and we keep forgetting because he opted out, will have a big affect on the line this year

Quinn sucked this year and looks like a bust but still has upside, I think another year and different coordinator , he plays like we paid him to

Nichols is rising and will end up being our best DL once Hicks is gone.

Johnson is a plus player that will shine going forward

Whitehair and Daniels will anchor our team going forward and do not count out Mustifer from becoming an anchor

Massie and Leno hopefully be gone this year and young upside OTs will be in place. Do not count out Bars being in the mix at either spot.

Robinson is elite but might be gone

Mooney is a riser

Comet is a riser 

Montgomery will only get better and be one of our stars if they use him right.

I think Cohen is a above average asset and is one reason our offense looked so bad most of the year.

This isnt a lot of names but I think puts us  in the upper half of the league at this point. 

5 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

We are likely to be average (again) and unless they draft a QB that has a big upside, I see both Pace and Nagy gone but that will be a year from now. That does not detract me from hoping we are a winning team and the team has a good draft and we improve. Its easy to be negative and cash in, if you like being like that then change teams. I try to be optimistic and realistic at the same time, hard to do with this team. I do not see the purpose of constantly calling for the outing of Pace and Nagy when it isnt happening this year. I personally think that is one year away so I look at how we can improve the team and maybe get lucky at QB. Wilson or Watson arent happening but maybe we get lucky with ending up with a Mac Jones or Kyle Trask and they turn out good. Our foundation is probably average as far as rating rosters in the NFL.

Plus players: Mack is an above average player even if he hasnt lived up to his salary

Fuller is above average and been concisely  good

EJAC is not living up to his contract but that does not make him bad, hopefully just had a bad year

Hicks with injuries has not had as big an impact but is still very good when healthy.

Trevathan is a good player admitting he's starting to slow but a good leader, played much better the second half. (pandemic related effect)

Goldman is above average and we keep forgetting because he opted out, will have a big affect on the line this year

Quinn sucked this year and looks like a bust but still has upside, I think another year and different coordinator , he plays like we paid him to

Nichols is rising and will end up being our best DL once Hicks is gone.

Johnson is a plus player that will shine going forward

Whitehair and Daniels will anchor our team going forward and do not count out Mustifer from becoming an anchor

Massie and Leno hopefully be gone this year and young upside OTs will be in place. Do not count out Bars being in the mix at either spot.

Robinson is elite but might be gone

Mooney is a riser

Comet is a riser 

Montgomery will only get better and be one of our stars if they use him right.

I think Cohen is a above average asset and is one reason our offense looked so bad most of the year.

This isnt a lot of names but I think puts us  in the upper half of the league at this point. 

I think we are exactly where our record says we are - 8 and 8, I dont think we are one or two pieces away from anything. Im not sure we actually disagree, since you're talking about the mid point in the league too.

I dont believe Nagy and Pace will be around for the 2022 season, so I wish we had figured that out at the end of the 2019 season.

2 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

I think we are exactly where our record says we are - 8 and 8, I dont think we are one or two pieces away from anything. Im not sure we actually disagree, since you're talking about the mid point in the league too.

I dont believe Nagy and Pace will be around for the 2022 season, so I wish we had figured that out at the end of the 2019 season.

Me too.  Something to point out also is that we are one of the oldest teams in the league.  That is a problem caused by Pace trading two complete drafts away.  Now, if we add a Russell Wilson to the mix, we get older and have even less draft capital.

21 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Me too.  Something to point out also is that we are one of the oldest teams in the league.  That is a problem caused by Pace trading two complete drafts away.  Now, if we add a Russell Wilson to the mix, we get older and have even less draft capital.

exactly. this is out of control, and at this point it is McCaskey who has done this.

If trading for Wilson gives the Bears a window for a Superbowl for a year or two, would losing 3 first round picks be worth it? I think I would take it.  They usually blow those picks anyways.  It is just a thought and as we get closer to the draft the rumors will grow. 

1 hour ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

If trading for Wilson gives the Bears a window for a Superbowl for a year or two, would losing 3 first round picks be worth it? I think I would take it.  They usually blow those picks anyways.  It is just a thought and as we get closer to the draft the rumors will grow. 

yeah but do you think if you add Wilson to this current roster that we'd be Superbowl bound?

Did we not feel this team was close the year they added Mack? Not much has changed but time passing.  I do think adding an elite QB can put this team in contention.  Wilson has played on some of the worse oline teams and has been a top 5 QB.  Give him an average oline with ARob, Mooney, Miller, Kmet and maybe Graham and watch out. If it cost only 3 first rd picks i would do it

14 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

The cause of Pace and Nagy being here is a 12-4 season with a double donk away from being in the NFC playoff game  at home game against LA. Coach of the year gives him a few years so two 8-8s are not going to eliminate a 12-4 season. I think if this season is mediocre or bad the possibility exists Pace could be gone and Nagy stay. The talk will be he hasnt had his QB to implement his system. Fair or not fair that may happen. The talk will be is the new guy better than what you have. I think Nagy is not a good OC but may be a good coach. He is popular with his team, pushes positive vibes. Tomlin is an example, he has been successful not being a defensive or offensive guru. I think the majority of blame for this team is Pace which is drafting better the last two years w/o first round picks. PLUS having this pandemic year has forced teams to worry about the bottom line more with disruption in a normal season. Bears dont have other businesses to rely on support, Bears are it for the McCaskey's .

What if , the defense is back, Quinn and Mack live up to their contracts. We get better QB play and Monty is one of the leading rushers in the league? We make the playoffs with a winning record.  These two are getting extensions for better of worse. 

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

What if , the defense is back, Quinn and Mack live up to their contracts. We get better QB play and Monty is one of the leading rushers in the league? We make the playoffs with a winning record.  These two are getting extensions for better of worse. 

I like it.  We have to hope the new DC sets them loose better than Pagano.

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

I like it.  We have to hope the new DC sets them loose better than Pagano.

Unless they dismantle the D to get a QB, if almost everyone is back, we can have a top 5 D. If they have more consistently play at QB, upgrade the OL, and give the ball to Monty, we could have a successful year. I heard The No Name Football podcast( Olin Kreutz) that had a OL guru on. He stated that the 2nd best OT in the draft is Teven Jenkins/ RT. Will definitely be there at our pick, power, technic, and nasty, but is only mentioned as a RT. So if we got him, that means if we draft another OT is will only be a LT prospect and not start this year. He also said that Leno is a competent LT. His problem is his size, so when he gets beat, it just looks bad, but is consistent most of the time. He continuedly gets ranked in the middle of LTs . So, would everyone be okay if Leno comes back for one more year with a rookie behind him?  This would have Leno,-Daniels-Mustifer-Whitehair-Jenkins. That would be an upgrade over last year. He mentioned that Bars could actually end up being a starter at one of the OT spots if necessary. 

16 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

yeah but do you think if you add Wilson to this current roster that we'd be Superbowl bound?

I don’t know about Super Bowl bound but better than last year.  One other thing that will need to happen is Nagy not doing the play-calling.  I have to believe with a player of Wilson’s capability we’d see him call the plays more from his perspective.  He even said it himself; he'd be willing to see what he could do to make Chicago’s offense better. 

57 minutes ago, BearFan NYC said:

lol we are going around in circles. the last couple of years should make this clear already.

Leno is a major liability, and Nagy and Pace are failing.

I already know how you feel, Im kind of trying to get reactions from other members. I agree with most of your opinions, I just am trying to have a more positive take on this year to hope we get better. Would you like to make a gentlemen's bet, Leno is still on the roster this year?

39 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I already know how you feel, Im kind of trying to get reactions from other members. I agree with most of your opinions, I just am trying to have a more positive take on this year to hope we get better. Would you like to make a gentlemen's bet, Leno is still on the roster this year?

nope. I lost that one last year because Nagy and Pace were too stupid to fix it, and i thought they couldnt be THAT stupid. You were right, they are.

What I know is that if it was MY team, he'd be gone.

I'm not being negative for pessimism's sake. I want the Bears to be great, but i think the only way that happens is after we fire Nagy. I think that should have happened already. Now we're just waiting and I dont see any reason to think this team and this coach can win a Superbowl. Being a little better isnt the goal. Especially if you have to mortgage the future to get to that 9-7 place. Yuck.

I don't know if breaking the bank for a franchise QB would be worse than what we have been doing for the last 100 years.  But maybe it's time to just find out.  Not my first choice, but what the freak.  I'm tired of what if we had?

6 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

nope. I lost that one last year because Nagy and Pace were too stupid to fix it, and i thought they couldnt be THAT stupid. You were right, they are.

What I know is that if it was MY team, he'd be gone.

I'm not being negative for pessimism's sake. I want the Bears to be great, but i think the only way that happens is after we fire Nagy. I think that should have happened already. Now we're just waiting and I dont see any reason to think this team and this coach can win a Superbowl. Being a little better isnt the goal. Especially if you have to mortgage the future to get to that 9-7 place. Yuck.

I hope you're right. Watch them pull a 10-6 record and make the playoffs , just enough to piss us off and  then they give them extensions.