What's the Solution?...

Mongo3451

Dak is locked up.  Houston is not taking offers for Desean.  Russell gives his team a 39 mil cap hit if he's traded.  My assumption is they are out of the equation for us.

That leads me to this question: who is a better solution than Trubisky?  Take into consideration style of play and system compatibility, along with supporting cast.

Trubisky can't read a defense. And no QB can shine without pass protection.

Foles would be "ok" if he had protection. A lot of QBs would.

Alex Smith is an option. But I'd like to see someone from an early pick in the draft behind (and coming up on) Foles or whoever is the placekeeper.

I already know this will take heat, but please allow me to present my cases. 

CASE 1: Shoot the Moon (Big Upside / Big Downside)

There is an available, young, FA QB who has thrown for nearly 4,000 yards and 24TDs per season. The problem is, he's thrown 17 INTs per season. Yes, it's Jameis Winston. I think his price tag is diminished, and he has massive upside. If Nagy is the alleged QB whisperer he claims to be, this should be an easy sell. Additionally, it's clear he handcuffed Trubisky to the point of paranoia, where simple out passes were thrown so far in advance of the receiver that the INT was impossible but the reception was difficult. Trubisky threw roughly 10 INTs a season even with this restriction, and we all know it should have been higher. (I wish there were a stat for dropped INTs, because Trubisky would lead it every year. One wonders if he just throws a ball that is difficult to catch for some reason?) Anyway, why not take the chance? Even if the INTs stay consistent, at least there will also be TDs along with it. Better than a consistently neutered offense that leads the universe in three-and-outs.

CASE 2: Play it Safe (Medium Upside / Minimal Downside)

Look at all available QBs and pick the journeyman who has enough experience and reps to show his skillset, and has been relatively careful with the ball. There just happens to be a guy available who has been incredibly safe with the ball, and has a serious propensity to run when faced with a dangerous decision. He'd be perfect for all of Nagy's stupid RPO stuff. His name is Tyrod Taylor, and he's perfect for the cautious approach. In three years as a starter, he threw a TOTAL of 16 INTs. I'll say that again, 16 INTs in three years. Otherwise he sat behind Flacco for a few years, sat behind a first-round rookie in Baker Mayfield, then sat behind Philip Rivers, then sat behind another first-round rookie in Herbert. I'm actually surprised he isn't getting more love. 

12 minutes ago, jason said:

There is an available, young, FA QB who has thrown for nearly 4,000 yards and 24TDs per season. The problem is, he's thrown 17 INTs per season. Yes, it's Jameis Winston. I think his price tag is diminished, and he has massive upside. If Nagy is the alleged QB whisperer he claims to be, this should be an easy sell. Additionally, it's clear he handcuffed Trubisky to the point of paranoia, where simple out passes were thrown so far in advance of the receiver that the INT was impossible but the reception was difficult. Trubisky threw roughly 10 INTs a season even with this restriction, and we all know it should have been higher. (I wish there were a stat for dropped INTs, because Trubisky would lead it every year. One wonders if he just throws a ball that is difficult to catch for some reason?) Anyway, why not take the chance? Even if the INTs stay consistent, at least there will also be TDs along with it. Better than a consistently neutered offense that leads the universe in three-and-outs.

Look at all available QBs and pick the journeyman who has enough experience and reps to show his skillset, and has been relatively careful with the ball. There just happens to be a guy available who has been incredibly safe with the ball, and has a serious propensity to run when faced with a dangerous decision. He'd be perfect for all of Nagy's stupid RPO stuff. His name is Tyrod Taylor, and he's perfect for the cautious approach. In three years as a starter, he threw a TOTAL of 16 INTs. I'll say that again, 16 INTs in three years. Otherwise he sat behind Flacco for a few years, sat behind a first-round rookie in Baker Mayfield, then sat behind Philip Rivers, then sat behind another first-round rookie in Herbert. I'm actually surprised he isn't getting more love. 

I like the Winston angle. 

1 hour ago, jason said:

Since Wilson or Watson wont happen, taking a chance on Winston if our best option. NO is in worst shape than we are with the cap, so if we had to bid on him, we should be able to pay more. Otherwise, Trading for a Minshew would be my next choice. Will come cheap and has had some moments in his tenure so far. Will not cost much on the cap. Foles is here and drafting a prospect would have at least create a little excitement if our options fall on their face.

I keep hearing Watson-Wilson won't happen.  We forget who is in charge here.  I would prefer not but I'm not the man.  I would take a flyer on Darnold, Winston.  even Smith for a year or two and keep our picks and rebuild the roster for a year or two.  I just don't see Pace doing that.   The Dac contract should be enough proof that anything is possible in a smart salary cap  push every thing down the road NFL.

I'm going Darnold and here's why.  He's only 23.  The Jets team he's played for has been in turmoil since he was drafted.  He's got a big arm, mobility, intelligence and good foot work.  His game meshes well with what we do.  He's very affordable, as he will probably cost our second round pick.  Plus, he's still on his rookie deal.  I simply don't want to give up the farm for Russell or Desean.  We are already weak on cap and older.  We shouldn't make that worse by giving up pro bowl players and multiple first round draft choices.

11 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

I'm going Darnold and here's why.  He's only 23.  The Jets team he's played for has been in turmoil since he was drafted.  He's got a big arm, mobility, intelligence and good foot work.  His game meshes well with what we do.  He's very affordable, as he will probably cost our second round pick.  Plus, he's still on his rookie deal.  I simply don't want to give up the farm for Russell or Desean.  We are already weak on cap and older.  We shouldn't make that worse by giving up pro bowl players and multiple first round draft choices.

I totally agree, but I can see Nagy and Pace telling themselves that overpaying for an older QB will bring them a super bowl just like Tom Brady did in Tampa.

Of course that would be dead wrong, but i bet they are saying that to eachother.

We needed to have fired these bozos, and now we are into silly time that could well hamstring us for the next few years. And THAT is on McCaskey.

Laugh if you want, but I think the answer is pretty obviously a rookie in the 1st (Jones) or 2nd (Trask) and . . . Ryan Fitzpatrick. I think he’ll perform better this year than anyone else available and he won’t cost any assets. 

To me, keep what we have, and keep drafting for the next 2-3 years. Fill in spots with low end free agents.  Do what the Jets and Jags have done.  Get multiple picks in first and 2nd rounds etc.  And be 50 mil under the cap

Make all the other teams come to us.

RIP Marvelous Marvin Hagler

2 hours ago, dawhizz said:

Laugh if you want, but I think the answer is pretty obviously a rookie in the 1st (Jones) or 2nd (Trask) and . . . Ryan Fitzpatrick. I think he’ll perform better this year than anyone else available and he won’t cost any assets. 

There was conflicting reports that Fitz was going to retire but sounds like he wants to continue on from the latest.  I will take FAs Winston or Fitzpatrick to hold the position down until we get a long term solution.  

Darnold has not been impressive.  So if the Bears get him—he will get better???  Has that EVER happened with a QB?

I think Russell Wilson is a possibility—but not likely.  We do not have the draft capital to get Watson.   

I HATE the idea of giving up draft capital for a failed QB. 

And now Winston is off the market.  Mitchell Trubisky is the best quarterback that is reasonably available.  It would be in our best interest to sign him.  Go get him.  

11 minutes ago, jason said:

Well, the Winston idea is dead. I want Tyrod Taylor. He's athletic, fairly accurate, and safe with the ball. It would be in the Bears' best interest in my opinion.

I’d be okay with this.  But isn’t Trubisky better than Taylor?  And aren’t both bad for what Nagy wants to do?  (Although, seemingly, what Nagy WANTS to do is just BAD without elite players) 

27 minutes ago, bradjock said:

Darnold has not been impressive.  So if the Bears get him—he will get better???  Has that EVER happened with a QB?

I think Russell Wilson is a possibility—but not likely.  We do not have the draft capital to get Watson.   

I HATE the idea of giving up draft capital for a failed QB. 

And now Winston is off the market.  Mitchell Trubisky is the best quarterback that is reasonably available.  It would be in our best interest to sign him.  Go get him.  

I don't hate that as much as most.  He was putting up points until Nagy got involved again... WTF

Just now, bradjock said:

I’d be okay with this.  But isn’t Trubisky better than Taylor?  And aren’t both bad for what Nagy wants to do?  (Although, seemingly, what Nagy WANTS to do is just BAD without elite players) 

Nope. Not in my opinion. Taylor is definitely better.

Taylor (when starter) averages 3220yds, 18.5TDs, and 5.8INTs for a 16 game season.

Trubisky averages 3328yds, 20TDs, and 11.6INTs for a 16 game season.

The VERY minimal stat differences are not worth the double INT numbers.

24 minutes ago, jason said:

Nope. Not in my opinion. Taylor is definitely better.

Taylor (when starter) averages 3220yds, 18.5TDs, and 5.8INTs for a 16 game season.

Trubisky averages 3328yds, 20TDs, and 11.6INTs for a 16 game season.

The VERY minimal stat differences are not worth the double INT numbers.

Why does nobody wanna start Taylor?  They are always happy to bench him? 

Fitz-Magic is off the market.  The quarterback pickings are getting REAL slim.  

Fritz is gone, writers keep mentioning every QB that might be out there, it just gives them something to write about. Pace is usually decisive and goes after what he wants, so if people are gone that means he didnt want them, at least at that price. I think he is trying to work a trade. The options of Mariota, Darnold, or Minchew. I think the Wilson or Watson deals are pipe dreams. As far as Darold, isnt that kind of the same case as Tannerhill? Failed in Miami but found life in Tenn?

7 hours ago, lemonej said:

Ian Rappaport is reporting that the Bears are showing increased interest in Andy Dalton. With Bill Lazor on staff this can't be dismissed as just another Bears' QB rumor.

Please help us, noooo!  If we can't get a clear upgrade to Mitch, I want him back.