Bears sign Andy Dalton per the score. Foles 2.0

BearFan2000

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

I pray he lights it up, but has he really ever?  Not a fan.  

There is still hope for my plan of building the fronts and getting the cap in shape, then get our QB next year.  Knowing theses putz's, they'll move up in the draft to draft a QB with no line to protect him.

I’m with you, build the rest of the roster particularly the lines. Let the throw away season play out as the dumpster fire it likely will be. Clean house and let someone not name Ryan Pace pick our next QB in the 2022 draft. 

He signed a $3M - 1yr deal with Dallas last year, while we traded a 4th for Foles and picked up his $24M contract. Now we pick up Dalton a year later and pay him more than Foles? Please let this be as a backup and we are trading Foles. It just seems to pay the guy triple what he got last year is quite excessive for a cap-strapped team.

10 minutes ago, adam said:

He signed a $3M - 1yr deal with Dallas last year, while we traded a 4th for Foles and picked up his $24M contract. Now we pick up Dalton a year later and pay him more than Foles? Please let this be as a backup and we are trading Foles. It just seems to pay the guy triple what he got last year is quite excessive for a cap-strapped team.

Who knows.  These guys are always one step ahead of us, lol...

Good thing he’s a super mobile QB. It’s going to work great with this oline. I mean just look how he played last year with a great trio of wrs... 

For real, atleast next year this guarantees he, Foles, Nagy and Pace will be gone next year. 

36 minutes ago, 'TD' said:

Good thing he’s a super mobile QB. It’s going to work great with this oline. I mean just look how he played last year with a great trio of wrs... 

For real, atleast next year this guarantees he, Foles, Nagy and Pace will be gone next year. 

That's all we can look forward to. With COVID, and the lower cap, I think they didn't want to bring in a new regime. So they will get a fresh start with a high draft pick in 2022 because this is a 6 win team with Dalton or Foles at QB.

Guys, great comments all around. This is a lethargic move and while I don’t blame anyone for not getting either Wilson or Watson, I will say this; this regime has eroded the fan in me. I used to be stoked to read Street and Smith and draft publications and anything I could get my hands on about my beloved Bears. But starting with the public leadership of the McCaskey brothers and the two headed dunces (pace and Nagy) , they’ve sucked the joy and enthusiasm I had for my team. I’ve fallen to the role of casual fan. I was holding out hope for Wilson or Watson to put some fire back in my belly about the team. They’re mediocre and Dalton is mediocre and I’m exhausted from mediocre. 2021 will be just another season and that kind of saddens me. Thanks George.

For sure, we are stuck in a rut, and honestly there were no easy fixes available. Dalton is fine, its a one year deal, and it's cheap enough. Foles might even beat him out. Or not.

I am glad we didn't trade three firsts for Wilson. And I think the actual price would have been even higher - I saw one article that said it would take FIVE firsts to get him Yikes!

But if they trade some future picks to get up to take one of the top five QBs in the draft, that could be OK. Of course id rather it was a NEW GM that made that call and not these guys with their Trubisky track record, but in the abstract, taking one of these 5 is a good thing for the franchise long term - as long as you don't pick a dud. They all look like they'll be good, but history shows...

But basically, I dont think we are done yet at QB. Think of this like Glennon.

All things considered really how bad is this.  Never going to get Watson or Wilson.  All the free agent QB's could be put in a hat and pick out one.  I would off rather had Dalton.  But how many of the shite rumors were real?   To me a milk toast choice but stills allow them to perhaps rebuild the off line and other offensive weapons going forward.   I don't see them doing anything else before draft.  I know I don't want to see pace say our plan worked we're set and happy!!!    

Did anyone watch Andy Dalton play last season?  As soon as Dak went out, the Cowboys went from being Super Bowl contenders to being bottom feeders.  He looked like he didn’t belong in the league.  He looked worse than Foles. 

Foles looked much worse than Trubisky.  

This sucks.  

Dalton has thrown more than 30 TDs one time in his 10 year career (2013) and only one season with a QBR over 60 (2015). He has finished with a QBR below 50 (which means below average league starter) in 5 out of 10 seasons. He is literally the picture-perfect slightly below average QB and only plays above average with great pieces around him.

11 minutes ago, adam said:

Dalton has thrown more than 30 TDs one time in his 10 year career (2013) and only one season with a QBR over 60 (2015). He has finished with a QBR below 50 (which means below average league starter) in 5 out of 10 seasons. He is literally the picture-perfect slightly below average QB and only plays above average with great pieces around him.

He sucks, plain and simple.  Trubisky is better than him and that ain't saying much.  Not happy...

46 minutes ago, bradjock said:

Did anyone watch Andy Dalton play last season?  As soon as Dak went out, the Cowboys went from being Super Bowl contenders to being bottom feeders.  He looked like he didn’t belong in the league.  He looked worse than Foles. 

This sucks. 

He looked bad but I think Dallas's oline also took some hits.  Zeke had an off year and Dallas would have had to re-scheme the offense to fit a non-mobile QB that defenses keyed in on attacking.  Dalton got hurt pretty early too.  

1 hour ago, bradjock said:

This sucks.  

🙌  🔥

So I read this somewhere - but evidently Bears can potentially adjust Foles contract and subsequently trade him (for a conditional 7th or whatever) at a $1M cap hit. I don't know if that is actually true - but if it is - I have to imagine that is a move we will see and it would make the Dalton deal MUCH more appealing - in the sense that Dalton is either the back-up / bridge guy depending on what else the Bears do at QB.  

I.e. - getting Dalton and moving Foles (at $1M hit) - basically puts you in the same position we entered the day in - except I presume the team feels that Dalton > Foles (and I would agree with that assessment) - but this also means the team still has the exact same ability to swing big and/or trade-up in the draft (if they want to go down that route).  Basically put - I expect Bears will move on from Foles (in a strategic manner that has minimal near / long term implications) and basically be in a slightly better spot than they were yesterday....but one where at the very least - they know on paper they already have one guy who is better than what they had a year ago (or lets hope he is).  

If Dalton actually is the guy and we go into next year with Dalton/Foles - welp - in that case - pretty likely outcome that we have a new regime in '22 anyway and in that case - at least they didn't do anything to hurt the future.  

2 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

So I read this somewhere - but evidently Bears can potentially adjust Foles contract and subsequently trade him (for a conditional 7th or whatever) at a $1M cap hit. I don't know if that is actually true - but if it is - I have to imagine that is a move we will see and it would make the Dalton deal MUCH more appealing - in the sense that Dalton is either the back-up / bridge guy depending on what else the Bears do at QB.  

I.e. - getting Dalton and moving Foles (at $1M hit) - basically puts you in the same position we entered the day in - except I presume the team feels that Dalton > Foles (and I would agree with that assessment) - but this also means the team still has the exact same ability to swing big and/or trade-up in the draft (if they want to go down that route).  Basically put - I expect Bears will move on from Foles (in a strategic manner that has minimal near / long term implications) and basically be in a slightly better spot than they were yesterday....but one where at the very least - they know on paper they already have one guy who is better than what they had a year ago (or lets hope he is).  

If Dalton actually is the guy and we go into next year with Dalton/Foles - welp - in that case - pretty likely outcome that we have a new regime in '22 anyway and in that case - at least they didn't do anything to hurt the future.  

totally agree. we are not done at QB this year yet.

11 hours ago, adam said:

11 hours ago, adam said:

Last year Dalton didnt get cut until April 30 before he was signed. If Pace would have did nothing and waited until the end of April we would be after his head just like now. For us to get Dalton last year we would have had to trade for him. Maybe the 4th would have been enough but we dont know. Now all we need to do is to sign Alex Smith and they can go for the trifecta for backup QBs.