Bears sign Andy Dalton per the score. Foles 2.0

BearFan2000

3 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

OK I just watched film on Dalton, and he is awful LOL really weak arm, he has to put his whole body into throws and the ball moves slow anyway.

I still think we will draft a QB this year.

The front office just put you closer to your wish of both of them being gone. You should be happy.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

OK I just watched film on Dalton, and he is awful LOL really weak arm, he has to put his whole body into throws and the ball moves slow anyway.

I still think we will draft a QB this year.

We paid $10M for that guy.

5 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

The front office just put you closer to your wish of both of them being gone. You should be happy.

yeah I hear you. Of course i wish it didnt happen this way, and of course if Nagy proves me wrong I would love that too.

32 minutes ago, adam said:

I can only hope this is a smokescreen like Pace did with Glennon. Signs Glennon, says he is the starter, then trades up for Trubisky. The plan worked until he traded up and drafted Trubisky. 

Oh I think that is very likely. A one year deal for $10M hardly says "we got our guy" and filling giant holes with mid level veterans befopre the draft has always been Pace's MO, and it is a smart one.

The questions come when you figure out who to take, whether to trade up or down etc.

If Pace had traded for the 2nd pick and taken Mahomes, and he had performed like he did in KC (I know our OL etc but) then wed all say he was a genius.

So it really comes down to how you evaluate these players. And we're having Pace choose a QB again, maybe even in his last year, that we will be stuck with for a while, and that will probably cost a bundle of draft picks to get.

I suppose the good news is that no one really knows how any of the QBs will actually turn out, so it may be that whoever is GM, this is a bit of a coin flip anyway, so I guess I hope we get lucky.

If Pace does trade a bundle of picks, including perhaps next year's number one, and lands on a great QB for the future, then we will be in great shape going forward with or without Pace. But you dont know, and either we think it's totally luck, in which case, who cares, or we think some skill comes into it, and if so, then if you're McCaskey, you've got to have brought in the NEW GM to make this decision. And that is pretty much McCaskey's main function, and i think he blew it.

Will it matter? With all the luck involved? Maybe not as much as i think it will, but I'd prefer to have every edge possible when making this decision. If you blow it, it will be even harder to get the right GM, coach and free agents to want to come here.

Still, i admit, there is a ton of luck to this, so we might just be OK no matter what. But yes, we are not done at QB this year, or these guys are much much worse than even i think they are LOL

27 minutes ago, BearFan NYC said:

Oh I think that is very likely. A one year deal for $10M hardly says "we got our guy" and filling giant holes with mid level veterans befopre the draft has always been Pace's MO, and it is a smart one.

The questions come when you figure out who to take, whether to trade up or down etc.

If Pace had traded for the 2nd pick and taken Mahomes, and he had performed like he did in KC (I know our OL etc but) then wed all say he was a genius.

So it really comes down to how you evaluate these players. And we're having Pace choose a QB again, maybe even in his last year, that we will be stuck with for a while, and that will probably cost a bundle of draft picks to get.

I suppose the good news is that no one really knows how any of the QBs will actually turn out, so it may be that whoever is GM, this is a bit of a coin flip anyway, so I guess I hope we get lucky.

If Pace does trade a bundle of picks, including perhaps next year's number one, and lands on a great QB for the future, then we will be in great shape going forward with or without Pace. But you dont know, and either we think it's totally luck, in which case, who cares, or we think some skill comes into it, and if so, then if you're McCaskey, you've got to have brought in the NEW GM to make this decision. And that is pretty much McCaskey's main function, and i think he blew it.

Will it matter? With all the luck involved? Maybe not as much as i think it will, but I'd prefer to have every edge possible when making this decision. If you blow it, it will be even harder to get the right GM, coach and free agents to want to come here.

Still, i admit, there is a ton of luck to this, so we might just be OK no matter what. But yes, we are not done at QB this year, or these guys are much much worse than even i think they are LOL

My guess is it will be Mac Jones, I don't know why, maybe it's because I live in Alabama, but something tells me it will be him with Pace trading up to something like 12 or 13 to get him.

What if they were told they have more than one year.  Find pieces in the draft for tackle, wr, rb, db pieces that they know they need.  Then they let them wait till next year to focus on the QB position.  Wilson will be ready to go, maybe Watson.  They have a full set of draft picks to work with along with future picks and the cap going up.  I just don't see anything they could of done this year alone that would of made a real contender.  Im trying to hang on to any thread of hope that things turn around before it's to late for me

1 hour ago, adam said:

My guess is it will be Mac Jones, I don't know why, maybe it's because I live in Alabama, but something tells me it will be him with Pace trading up to something like 12 or 13 to get him.

I would love that.

9 hours ago, adam said:

I can only hope this is a smokescreen like Pace did with Glennon. Signs Glennon, says he is the starter, then trades up for Trubisky. The plan worked until he traded up and drafted Trubisky. 

The last half of this was both hilarious and sad at the same time.  Can’t wait to see Pace try and out maneuver whomever for that next ‘can’t miss’ player.  

On 3/16/2021 at 3:52 PM, adam said:

He signed a $3M - 1yr deal with Dallas last year, while we traded a 4th for Foles and picked up his $24M contract. Now we pick up Dalton a year later and pay him more than Foles? Please let this be as a backup and we are trading Foles. It just seems to pay the guy triple what he got last year is quite excessive for a cap-strapped team.

Meanwhile the Saints re-signed Jaemis Winston for 1 year $5.5M.  Pace should have offered 2 years $12M deal.

Interesting:

Dalton 74-66-2, 2973-4782, 33764 yds, 62.2% Comp, 7.1 Y/A, 218 TDs, 126 INT, 87.5 QB Rating

Cutler 74-79, 3048-4920, 35133 yds, 62.0% Comp, 7.1 Y/A, 227 TDs, 160 INT, 85.3 QB Rating

So based on sheer numbers, Dalton had the exact same production as Culter with 25% less INTs. Dalton did it in one less season too.

In comparison, Nick Foles is 67-55 with 13753 yds, 81 TD, and 43 INT in 9 seasons, one less than Dalton. 

So however you want to carve it up, Dalton is probably the best QB the Bears have had on their roster since Cutler. Trubisky's best year would've been Dalton's 3rd worst, so there's that.

7 hours ago, ParkerBear7 said:

Meanwhile the Saints re-signed Jaemis Winston for 1 year $5.5M.  Pace should have offered 2 years $12M deal.

Im not sure money was the only consideration. Sean Payton- Matt Nagy                  Mickey Loomis- Ryan Pace   they have a better run organization. 

3 hours ago, adam said:

Interesting:

Dalton 74-66-2, 2973-4782, 33764 yds, 62.2% Comp, 7.1 Y/A, 218 TDs, 126 INT, 87.5 QB Rating

Cutler 74-79, 3048-4920, 35133 yds, 62.0% Comp, 7.1 Y/A, 227 TDs, 160 INT, 85.3 QB Rating

So based on sheer numbers, Dalton had the exact same production as Culter with 25% less INTs. Dalton did it in one less season too.

In comparison, Nick Foles is 67-55 with 13753 yds, 81 TD, and 43 INT in 9 seasons, one less than Dalton. 

So however you want to carve it up, Dalton is probably the best QB the Bears have had on their roster since Cutler. Trubisky's best year would've been Dalton's 3rd worst, so there's that.

That is interesting.  The lower INT rate is encouraging.

Hard to get excited about him.  He did well most of the games he played for Cincy during the regular season.  Well enough to get them into the playoffs a few times.  But then sucked outright while in the playoffs.  Then while in Dallas failed to really do much with talented players around him like CeCe Lamb, Amari Cooper, Zeke Elliot and Michael Gallup.  I suppose the one excuse was their line was beat up all season.  So there’s that. 

8 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

That is interesting.  The lower INT rate is encouraging.

Hard to get excited about him.  He did well most of the games he played for Cincy during the regular season.  Well enough to get them into the playoffs a few times.  But then sucked outright while in the playoffs.  Then while in Dallas failed to really do much with talented players around him like CeCe Lamb, Amari Cooper, Zeke Elliot and Michael Gallup.  I suppose the one excuse was their line was beat up all season.  So there’s that. 

Outside of WR3, how much better was Cooper/Lamb vs ARob/Mooney? Same with Elliott vs Montgomery, as a pure RB runner, sure, but overall game, close to a push. So Gallup wins in a landslide, but at TE? Graham/Kmet vs Witten? So to me, he would be coming in with comparable weapons and a better O-line, which is crazy. Also add Cohen as the X factor.

7 minutes ago, adam said:

Seriously, you can't make this stuff up.

You seriously can’t.  Don’t GMs with scouting backgrounds do some sort of research?  You’d think Mariota was one option they looked at and maybe even talked to or heard about Oakland’s plans?  Wasn’t Pace on the record as saying he pursued Mariota when he came out for the draft?  Again, seems like he’d have done some level of homework.  

Agree.  Time for Pace to go...now. 

1 minute ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

You seriously can’t.  Don’t GMs with scouting backgrounds do some sort of research?  You’d think Mariota was one option they looked at and maybe even talked to or heard about Oakland’s plans?  Wasn’t Pace on the record as saying he pursued Mariota when he came out for the draft?  Again, seems like he’d have done some level of homework.  

Agree.  Time for Pace to go...now. 

Like it feels like there is no plan, and that is why Pace likes Nagy, because he runs the offense with no plan or direction, even down to playcalling.

What is the short and long-term strategy for this roster? Did the Bears have to sign Dalton that fast? Were there other comparable options? If Mariota gets cut because he won't take a pay cut, I am sure he would want more than a one-year deal, but something similar to what he got last year, 2-yr $17.6M would seem reasonable, and a smaller cap in 2021 for the Bears. 

There are too many of these situations. I still remember the Miller trade in 2018. He traded away a future 2nd and the #105 for Miller at #51, while better WRs were still on the board (Chark, Gallup, Washington). Pace called the following year a week WR class (Brown, Metcalf, Hardman, Johnson, McLaurin all drafted after Bears pick).

these two are already past the threshold of getting fired, so at this point it's just piling on to the already dismal record LOL

I hope we pick a rookie QB, and accidentally choose a really good one.