Pre Draft Article on Fields

Mongo3451

Kind of goes along with a story that circulated. I'm not sure if Nagy recounted the incident or if it was ???

Basically, Nagy had drawn out a play over a pre-draft zoom conference with Fields and discussed it with him in depth. 

Then during another call weeks later, Nagy asked Fields if he remembered the play they had discussed.

Fields nailed it, every tiny detail, without hesitation. Total recall.

Learning the playbook will not be a problem.

If he can read NFL defenses, the kid is ready to take the NFL by storm.

6 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I read where 9 teams had Fields rated higher than trevor Lawrence.  

Jacksonville wasn't one of them apparently?  I'm still trying to wonder why Meyer may have passed on Fields.  Surely Lawrence isn't that spectacular he didn't at least consider it?  You'd assume he (Meyer) is going to want to install a type of offense he ran when last coaching in Ohio State so why not put a QB in place that already knows it?  The current HC at Ohio State was Meyer's OC/QB coach so I'm assuming the offense didn't change all that much.

Don't get me wrong, I have a strong feeling that the Bears did a lot better with this pick then a lot of people are giving them credit for.  I'd even go as far to say that between he and Lawrence, he'll be the one with the better overall NFL career.  

12 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

One of Fields biggest issues is picking up the blitz.  Teams will test him early to see if he fixed that issue.  This is why I bet the Bears drafted two linemen right after.  

That worries me.

He's highly intelligent, a film room junkie, a quick study, yet he has trouble picking up a blitz?

Something doesn't jive.

If after 2 years in FBS he has trouble picking up a blitz, then what about the more complex NFL schemes?

If Fields is the best QB during training camp you have to start him, period.  you can't have 52 other players wondering why are they not playing him.  He's not a guy who only played 12 games in college with a spotty record and stats.  

7 hours ago, Pixote said:

That worries me.

He's highly intelligent, a film room junkie, a quick study, yet he has trouble picking up a blitz?

Something doesn't jive.

If after 2 years in FBS he has trouble picking up a blitz, then what about the more complex NFL schemes?

I watched about an hour of pre-draft video on him and that was one flaw.  He needs to figure out the wiggles in the pocket to avoid the rush.  He is intelligent, so I would think he figures this out too.  This is why I think they need to take their time with him.  He may be the best athlete in the QB room, but let him learn holding the clipboard for 8-12 games or until he plays mistake free.

Everyone saying he needs to start game 1 are the same people who buy a Corvette in January and instead of keeping it in the garage, they drive it on snow.  No thought about ruining it, you bought it so why park it.  😬😉😂

I read where there is a theory - he did it because he was so focused on big plays and the offense osu ran was one where the plays took a long time to develop. I also read a theory was part of it too was maybe something in his head - where he was worried of getting to pigeon holes as a running qb that he wanted to show how he could always go downfield. 

Loved fact that he is supposedly highly intellectual and can pick up a playbook easy (if that pre draft study is accurate. Stark contrast from Mitch who didn’t know what a hard count was entering the league. 

There were also some scouts who said there are a lot of examples on film of him showing real good progressions too. 

To be honest you can find tape that focuses on flaws and tape that omits them and only shows the good stuff.   It's up to him and the staff to iron out the wrinkles in his game, no QB is perfect coming in to the league.  Fields strengths to me far outweigh his weaknesses. I don't question his work ethic and commitment to proving doubters wrong.  That chip on his shoulder tells me he's not going to be "satisfied" and will keep working on getting better in all areas.  Any QB you draft is going to come into the league and see things they've never seen before.  NFL defenses are far more complex and usually disguised better than college level defenses.  It's part of the learning curve.   This isn't Mitch who never seemed to overcome any flaws in his game.  There was a lot of talk about improvement, and "good weeks of practice" but on game day he rarely came through.  IMO we haven't had a QB as dedicated to his craft as Fields is in a long time.  

A really good unbiased review from Matt Bowen:

I feel like Fields is going to be as good as Herbert, who was the only rookie to throw for 4K yards and 25 TDs. Folbisky threw for 3900 yds and 26 TDs, so I think Fields can do at least that good in an offense that is technically better on paper.

#1 Burrow (0/1)
#5 Tua (0/1)
#6 Herbert (1/1, rookie)
#1 Murray (0/2)
#6 Jones (0/2)
#1 Mayfield (0/3)
#7 Allen (1/3, 3rd year)
#10 Rosen (0/3)

There have only been 2x college QBs with back-to-back years with a QBR over 90, Fields and Mayfield. If you think of how their games translate to the NFL, it's hard to imagine someone would say Mayfield was more NFL-ready than Fields coming out. In Mayfield's rookie year, he played in 14 games, had 3725 yds, 27 TDs, 15 INTs, and 131 rushing yds, so I imagine Fields' floor is somewhere around Mayfield's rookie year with more rushing yards.