Bears rookie QB Justin Fields training with Deshaun Watson

Bill

Everything I hear about this kid tells me he is going to make all the right moves and give it everything he has for the NFL.

Of course no one can ever predict how a QB will do in their NFL career, but at this point, this is looking like a VERY good bet.

3 things for me that make a football player successful. Love football, has football IQ and works hard. He seems to have all of that. I think he will be the next great qb in the NFL. Plays hurt, very smart and is athletic. Good combo. The best thing is he's a Bear.

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

3 things for me that make a football player successful. Love football, has football IQ and works hard. He seems to have all of that. I think he will be the next great qb in the NFL. Plays hurt, very smart and is athletic. Good combo. The best thing is he's a Bear.

I like it!  The only thing we are waiting for is to see if he can read an NFL defense.  The film says, worst case scenario, he's better than Mitch.  Best case scenario is limitless...

3 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I like it!  The only thing we are waiting for is to see if he can read an NFL defense.  The film says, worst case scenario, he's better than Mitch.  Best case scenario is limitless...

Until they play in the league, I don't know if there is any way to know if they can read an NFL defense or not, but Fields did score very high on his aptitude tests, which means he has the capacity to. The worst case for me is better than Kyler Murray. I think Fields is well beyond Trubisky already. 

6 hours ago, adam said:

Until they play in the league, I don't know if there is any way to know if they can read an NFL defense or not, but Fields did score very high on his aptitude tests, which means he has the capacity to. The worst case for me is better than Kyler Murray. I think Fields is well beyond Trubisky already. 

He’ll struggle no doubt for the first year at least.  If I’m not mistaken the one thing he says is a big difference for him will be calling plays from the huddle.  Don’t know that he’s had a lot of experience reading defenses because of it. Once he’s able to recognize defensive sets that may necessitate him calling an audible,  we’ll know more about how he’ll succeed.  

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

He’ll struggle no doubt for the first year at least.  If I’m not mistaken the one thing he says is a big difference for him will be calling plays from the huddle.  Don’t know that he’s had a lot of experience reading defenses because of it. Once he’s able to recognize defensive sets that may necessitate him calling an audible,  we’ll know more about how he’ll succeed.  

Not sure i agree. I think whether the play gets called in the huddle or on the sideline, you still get into formation and make pre snap reads?

I do agree that there will be a learning curve, as there is for every rookie QB, but wow do I think this one will succeed.

Justin Herbert played in 15 games as a rookie with no training camp. He threw for 4336 yds, 31 TD, and 10 INT.  

In his last 2 years of college, Herbert threw for over 6600 yds (245 YPG) with 61 TD and 14 INT in 27 games. In 5 fewer games due to COVID, Fields had 63 TD and 9 INT with 268 YPG. 

The best comparison is they both played Wisconsin within a few weeks of each other:

In the Big 10 Championship Game, Fields was 19-31, 299 yds, 3 TD, 0 INT. 

In the Rose Bowl, Herbert was 14-20, 138 yds, 0 TD, 1 INT against the same defense.

Obviously there is a huge upgrade of talent in the NFL but he has the athleticism to succeed.The difference of Fields is his intelligence. There was a IQ test related to qbs studied over the last 12 yrs of qbs going to the NFL. He scored the highest of any QB in those 12 yrs. Tests don't usually figure in intangibles, of which he has. I will go out on the limb and say he does the best of all the rookies. Lots of variables go in to success of qbs, I think he has everything. Nagy and his staff is perfect to develop this type of prospect. Didn't work with Tru because he didn't score high on that same IQ testing I mentioned. I think second on that test was Mahomes. As far as reading defenses, he's second coming out of college with percentage of hitting his second reads on pass plays. I think that will be no problem.

40 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Obviously there is a huge upgrade of talent in the NFL but he has the athleticism to succeed.The difference of Fields is his intelligence. There was a IQ test related to qbs studied over the last 12 yrs of qbs going to the NFL. He scored the highest of any QB in those 12 yrs. Tests don't usually figure in intangibles, of which he has. I will go out on the limb and say he does the best of all the rookies. Lots of variables go in to success of qbs, I think he has everything. Nagy and his staff is perfect to develop this type of prospect. Didn't work with Tru because he didn't score high on that same IQ testing I mentioned. I think second on that test was Mahomes. As far as reading defenses, he's second coming out of college with percentage of hitting his second reads on pass plays. I think that will be no problem.

I also think we are very underrated at our skill positions, there are at least 7 legit targets on the team (ARob, Mooney, Monty, Williams, Cohen, Kmet, and Graham). That does not even account for Goodwin (who looks great), Byrd (led the Pats in receiving), Newsome, and Herbert. 

19 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

Not sure i agree. I think whether the play gets called in the huddle or on the sideline, you still get into formation and make pre snap reads?

I do agree that there will be a learning curve, as there is for every rookie QB, but wow do I think this one will succeed.

Disclaimer:  I wrote some of my comments while maintaining a buzz so there's that...:blink:

Anyhow, the point I was attempting to make was that no matter how good a QB they are, college QBs have a larger learning curve because of all the things they have to consider. Most notably pre-snap reads of the defense.  The one huge advantage Fields has is his dedication to his craft.  He's someone who spends a lot of his own time continuing to learn and run plays. This article speaks on how he's known to come early and leave late when it comes to learning and practicing and that his work ethic goes back as far as his high school days.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/04/29/justin-fields-nfl-draft-process/

If there has been a knock on him, it was what some took as his inability to read the field.  But in this article, the author does a pretty good job in dispelling that "rumor".  In it there are points made that he has some rough edges to his learning but nothing that will cause long term concerns and certainly  that he can't practice to get better at.  

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/justin-fields-progressions-first-read-analysis

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

If there has been a knock on him, it was what some took as his inability to read the field.  But in this article, the author does a pretty good job in dispelling that "rumor".  In it there are points made that he has some rough edges to his learning but nothing that will cause long term concerns and certainly  that he can't practice to get better at.  

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/justin-fields-progressions-first-read-analysis

Here is another article that shows how Fields is the top Rookie QB in this year's class making throws after first read:

Data says Fields actually best rookie QB past first read

The media literally handed us Justin Fields. He should've been at worst the #2 pick. He has a bad throwing motion (Simms), he is a one-read QB, he is not accurate, he is bad under pressure, Ohio State QB, black QB, etc, etc. It goes on and on. You didn't see any of that about Wilson, Lance, or Jones. 

Look at Wilson's stats from 2020 and tell me how he was picked that high? Then look at Lance's competition and how many 300 yard games he had in his career. How did these guys go before Fields? Even Lawrence, I know he was the anointed one, but Jacksonville probably should've selected Fields instead. Lawrence reminds me of a more athletic Mike Glennon.

I never thought Fields would be available, and we got him at #11. SF used 3x first rounders on Lance, LMAO!

16 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Disclaimer:  I wrote some of my comments while maintaining a buzz so there's that...:blink:

Anyhow, the point I was attempting to make was that no matter how good a QB they are, college QBs have a larger learning curve because of all the things they have to consider. Most notably pre-snap reads of the defense.  The one huge advantage Fields has is his dedication to his craft.  He's someone who spends a lot of his own time continuing to learn and run plays. This article speaks on how he's known to come early and leave late when it comes to learning and practicing and that his work ethic goes back as far as his high school days.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/04/29/justin-fields-nfl-draft-process/

LOL I agree with all of this!