My Take On Justin Fields

lemonej

As a longtime Bear fan(circa 1966) I have seen 1st round  draft picks traded for Qbs that didn't pan out, I've seen 2nd round picks flame out and I've seen a 6th round pick take the Bears to the playoffs.

Jack Concannon, Rudy Bukich, Virgil Carter, Larry Rakestraw, Bobby Douglass, Gary Huff, John Huarte,, Bob Avellini, Vince Evans, Greg Landry, Vince Evans, Jim McMahon, Steve Fuller Mike Tomczac, Jim Harbaugh, Steve Walsh, Erik Kramer, Shane Matthews,  Moses Moreno, Will Furrer, Rex Grossman, Kyle Orton, Craig Krentzel ,Cade McNown, Jeff George, Jay Cutler And Mitch Trubisky

Not to forget Mike Phipps, Rick Mirer, Kordell Stewart, Henry Tillman, Spergynn Winn  Mark Casale  ,Doug Flutie, Mike Glennon, Nick Foles and now Andy Dalton.

I know I missed a few but it's close to bedtime for this overnight baker!

I'm hoping the Bears don't screw it up this time!

16 minutes ago, lemonej said:

As a longtime Bear fan(circa 1966) I have seen 1st round  draft picks traded for Qbs that didn't pan out, I've seen 2nd round picks flame out and I've seen a 6th round pick take the Bears to the playoffs.

Jack Concannon, Rudy Bukich, Virgil Carter, Larry Rakestraw, Bobby Douglass, Gary Huff, John Huarte,, Bob Avellini, Vince Evans, Greg Landry, Vince Evans, Jim McMahon, Steve Fuller Mike Tomczac, Jim Harbaugh, Steve Walsh, Erik Kramer, Shane Matthews,  Moses Moreno, Will Furrer, Rex Grossman, Kyle Orton, Craig Krentzel ,Cade McNown, Jeff George, Jay Cutler And Mitch Trubisky

Not to forget Mike Phipps, Rick Mirer, Kordell Stewart, Henry Tillman, Spergynn Winn  Mark Casale  ,Doug Flutie, Mike Glennon, Nick Foles and now Andy Dalton.

As a fan a little longer myself. I can't believe you put your self thru such a depressing exercise.

27 minutes ago, lemonej said:

I am a late 70's fan, so I am about a decade behind you, but close enough, so I feel your pain.

Cutler is probably the closest thing we have had to a franchise QB that we ever had. 7 years as the leading passer and owns 4 out of the 5 top passing seasons in Bears history (Kramer #1). Kramer was such an anomaly too. Had one career year with the Bears at age 31 and only topped 2K yards in one other season his entire career and was out of the league the following year. 

Fields is just different. I remember all the recent QB draft picks and Fields is light years ahead of all of them Trubisky, Grossman, McNown, and Peter Freakin Tom Willis (3rd Round). There is no comparison, none of them came as ready and qualified as Fields is. Outside of injury, there is no way that Fields doesn't become the franchise leader for every major QB category. If he starts by Week 3, he will hit 4K and 30 TDs. I am that confident in him.

Look what Justin Herbert did with LAC. I feel like Fields will have comparable numbers. 

Fields certainly has a way about him that makes you want to love him if for nothing else as a decent human being.  I read a story a few days ago where he’s looking forward to playing in Chicago and really appreciates the fan base.  In the story below, he paid a visit to a fan who was recently wounded by gunfire.  

https://wgntv.com/sports/bears-quarterback-justin-fields-visits-gunshot-victim-he-helped-inspire-to-stay-alive/

4 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Fields certainly has a way about him that makes you want to love him if for nothing else as a decent human being.  I read a story a few days ago where he’s looking forward to playing in Chicago and really appreciates the fan base.  In the story below, he paid a visit to a fan who was recently wounded by gunfire.  

https://wgntv.com/sports/bears-quarterback-justin-fields-visits-gunshot-victim-he-helped-inspire-to-stay-alive/

I can't think of another player or QB that has had this much of an impact before ever playing a single down. He is doing and saying all the right things; I'm really still shocked we drafted him. 

There is always a lot of hope with newly drafted players, but Fields is different. He had production at a high level. He's very smart. He has great work eithics .He is very athletic. He plays hurt. He loves football, rallied the players last yr to force the Big 10 to play football. A leader. (The difference) he has everything to succeed in the NFL.

7 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

There is always a lot of hope with newly drafted players, but Fields is different. He had production at a high level. He's very smart. He has great work eithics .He is very athletic. He plays hurt. He loves football, rallied the players last yr to force the Big 10 to play football. A leader. (The difference) he has everything to succeed in the NFL.

I agree, he is the best chance at a real QB we've have had since Cutler was coming in, before we knew how he would actually be. And Fields is nothing like Cutler. Lots of reasons to beleive in Fields.

I'm going to temper my expectations of Fields, this season.  History shows the boom / average / bust factors.  I like everything about his situation though.  I also believe Nagy and Defilipo are the guys to develop him and that his supporting cast is strong enough.

9 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

I'm going to temper my expectations of Fields, this season.  History shows the boom / average / bust factors.  I like everything about his situation though.  I also believe Nagy and Defilipo are the guys to develop him and that his supporting cast is strong enough.

BOOM FACTOR INITIATED!!!!