Jason Peter's signs

ASHKUM BEAR

Bout time.  Okung is waiting for a payday around 12 mil.  I'm not sure he's worth that with his health concerns.  If we can get him for 8, expect a Graham or Ifedi cut.  James is looking good in camp, so Graham is an overpriced luxury.  Once they see what they really need to upgrade or where they know they are set, we will see a move or two.

He will also be a great example for Jenkins to learn from. But in the meanwhile, he's a beast. Age degrades all players, but i think the downward slope is more gradual at OT, they dont rely on speed and he has plenty of strength - it's about how to use it, and that just keeps getting better as you get more experience. Peters is a very good pickup.

Had they started with Peters, id have worried about the future, but given Jenkins behind him, suddenly we are in a good position at OLT.

And now Borom can get to work trying to establish himself on the right side.

Ive been watching film on Peters. At one time he was a monstrous beast who owned the league. Now he is a decent, but not spectacular journeyman who will make some plays and whiff on others. He looks like a better version of Leno. So that IS an upgrade while we wait for Jenkins, but he will make frustrating errors and get beat too.

All in all you cant say we've lost anything by losing Leno, but we are going to need more (Jenkins) before we can really turn the corner as an offense.

The lack of transparency in regards to T. Jenkins 'stiff back' is really pissing me off. I cannot think of one good reason why Pace/Nagy cannot just tell the fans what is the reason for his problem. Does he have a problem with his spine/a disc? It's been 2 weeks +. Time to inform us about what the hell is going on.

4 minutes ago, Pixote said:

The lack of transparency in regards to K. Jenkins 'stiff back' is really pissing me off. I cannot think of one good reason why Pace/Nagy cannot just tell the fans what is the reason for his problem. Does he have a problem with his spine/a disc? It's been 2 weeks +. Time to inform us about what the hell is going on.

I agree. But you can understand why they dont want to. If they knew about his back on draft day, and took a risk with a 2nd rounder to pick a guy who wont be able to play in the NFL, that is not going to help them keep their jobs. At this point, if Nagy puts a good product on the field this year, and he and Fields have rhythm with play calling and execution, it might just be Pace on the chopping block. Im not even sure myself what i think of that, but i can see things going that way if Jenkins never plays.

I don't like the silence about Jenkins, but I do like what they are doing with him.  He missed the last three games of the season last year with a lumbar strain.  That's exactly what he's dealing with now. The bears are holding him out and taking it slow, like any back issue should be handled.  They are more than likely retraining his core in an attempt to salvage his future, because if he is in and out, out will win.  I'm glad they are handling of the way they are and am also hopeful they can fix his issue.

We got him on the cheap. Fantastic deal for the Bears.

According to the Chicago Tribune‘s Brad Biggs, Peters signed a one-year deal worth $1.075 million, including a $250,000 signing bonus. The base salary is $1.075 million with a maximum of $425,000 in per-game bonuses, which brings the deal to a max value $1.75 million.