Week 1 Official Game Thread - CHI @ LAR, +7.5, O/U 44.5, SUN 9/12, 7:20PM CT - NBC

adam

1 hour ago, madlithuanian said:

Agreed.  Why not try and bring Ed Donnatel?  He was that last coach that got anything good out of the secondary and was tied w Fangio.

Ed Donnatel is the current DC for Vic Fangio's Broncos. 

The Bears were never getting anybody outside of the organization to come be their DC and work under a lame duck HC. Desai probably WAS their best option. 

Kind of reminds me of the year Lovie elevated Bob Babich to be their DC, and that turned out to be an awful decision. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, killakrzydav said:

I'm not sure how anybody is surprised by this result.  Too much Koolaid I guess?

I figured it Dalton played most of the game, they would lose by double digits. The Rams are not as good as the score indicates, they just played a bad Bears team.

On 9/13/2021 at 7:07 PM, Bears4Ever_34 said:

The Bears were never getting anybody outside of the organization to come be their DC and work under a lame duck HC. Desai probably WAS their best option. 

Kind of reminds me of the year Lovie elevated Bob Babich to be their DC, and that turned out to be an awful decision. 

No Mike Pettine was. They hired him but in the wrong position.  Hopefully Pettine is here in case Desai is in over his head a la Babich. 

On 9/13/2021 at 5:07 PM, Bears4Ever_34 said:

Good point.  Lame Duck Nagy fun...

8 hours ago, McGowan said:

No Mike Pettine was. They hired him but in the wrong position.  Hopefully Pettine is here in case Desai is in over his head a la Babich. 

Good point.  Forgot Petrine was on the staff. He’d be a fine replacement. Did pretty good while in GB (minus the playoffs) and a few other places as DC.  

For what it’s worth, I read Safety Tashaun Gipson took ownership of how badly the defense and specifically the DBs played.  Said he’d personally see to it he (and they) would improve.  We shall see.

https://www.chicagobears.com/news/gipson-confident-secondary-will-learn-from-miscues

So much for being optimistic, time to be realistic , no pass rush, no pass defense. No matter what the offense does, we will not be a winning team unless the D is good. One game is hard to measure, but a lot of bad signs from the game. Nagy didnt have one pass go longer than 13 yds and that was on an interception. We bring in the speed factor with WRs and dont throw down field. Nagy's fault. I get we were down to our 4rh LT but roll the QB out to the right and put Fields in to slow down their rush.

On 9/15/2021 at 8:38 PM, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Meanwhile it appears the running game was effective (???) Or was it the passing and gimmicky plays were ineffective?  

Monty was also one of the top 5 fastest ball carries (Herbert was another) last week. That is impressive because Monty has really increased his top speed which was a weakness of his. On his rushing TD, he literally scored when the O-Line missed 4 blocks in front of him. They really need to lock him and Smith up as core guys going forward.

As for Jackson, I will keep saying this. He has not been the same since his injury. I don't know if it is physical or mental, but whatever it is he is a different player. Christian was terrible in the slot. They need to fix the secondary or this is going to be a long season. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/10/2021 at 12:56 AM, jason said:

Rams 28 - Bears 10

Nagy refuses to run, and the shit OL gets Dalton body slammed repeatedly. Stafford methodically picks the Bears apart with mid-range passes, and Sony Michael breaks one big run. The Bears fall into a 14+ hole. By the time Nagy realizes what’s going on and makes any changes it’s too late. Leonard Floyd celebrates on the sideline like a 6-year old who gets to eat ice cream for breakfast while the Bears physicians and psychologists check on a noticeably shell-shocked Andy Dalton, whose hearing is a mix of tinnitus, audible boos, car crash sounds, and “We want Fields”-chants.