Week 1 Official Game Thread - CHI @ LAR, +7.5, O/U 44.5, SUN 9/12, 7:20PM CT - NBC

adam

Sunday Night Football 

Real football is finally here.

Last year, the Rams beat the Bears 24-10 in Week 7 in Chicago. The offense had 3 points in that game. Foles had 2 INTs and was sacked 4 times. 

If Dalton starts, it is hard to see how we passed the Rams in the offseason, as they gained Stafford, and lost Goff and Akers (who didn't play against the Bears). So to me, if Dalton plays the entire game, the Bears lose by double digits. If Fields plays at least a half, we have a shot. Either way, I have this one as a loss. Prove me wrong Bears.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This game is a series of big IF'S.  If Ifedi and Peters can be game ready and hold up for 4 quarters, Dalton can work, as I have faith in our interior.  If we can establish a running game, we will tremendously help our defense by giving them the rest they need.  If Desai can channel his inner Fangio, our defense can do take the ball away.  If Nagy, which is the one I trust least, can stay disciplined in his gameplan, our ball control offense can work.  End of day 20-17 Rams.

Game prediction:  Because Nagy is Wile E, they will throw the double move on Ramsey with Mooney, just because Nagy thinks it will work again.  

2 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

This game is a series of big IF'S.  If Ifedi and Peters can be game ready and hold up for 4 quarters, Dalton can work, as I have faith in our interior.  If we can establish a running game, we will tremendously help our defense by giving them the rest they need.  If Desai can channel his inner Fangio, our defense can do take the ball away.  If Nagy, which is the one I trust least, can stay disciplined in his gameplan, our ball control offense can work.  End of day 20-17 Rams.

Game prediction:  Because Nagy is Wile E, they will throw the double move on Ramsey with Mooney, just because Nagy thinks it will work again.  

I wouldn't be surprised if they put Ramsey exclusively on ARob and just take him out of the game. That would open things up for Mooney, Byrd, Perriman, and Goodwin as well as the TEs.

I have a feeling the TEs will get a ton of catches as Kmet, Graham, James, and Horsted have some mismatch capabilities. 

I was assuming the Rams were the same team they were the last few years, with Pro Bowlers up and down their defense. However, after looking at their roster, they have really thinned out from what they had a few years ago. Their starting defense outside of Donald and Ramsey is:

A'Shawn Robinson, Sebastian Joseph-Day, Justin Hollins, Kenny Young, Troy Reeder, Leonard Floyd, Darious Williams, Jordan Fuller, and Taylor Rapp. Outside of Floyd and Fuller, any other household names?  They lost Troy Hill, CB, Michael Brockers, DL, Derek Rivers, Edge, Morgan Fox, DL, John Johnson, S, and Samson Ebukam, Edge, all were key contributors. That's just on defense. Outside of Donald and Ramsey, no other player requires much attention. For the Bears you have to account for Mack, Hicks, Smith, and Jackson. I actually like our defense better.

On offense, they lost Austin Blythe, C, Malcolm Brown, RB, Gerald Everett, TE and Josh Reynolds, WR and Cam Akers, RB is out for the year. They added Sony Michel and DeSean Jackson in addition to the Stafford trade. If Dalton is better than Foles, this will be a close game. 

Turnovers will decide it. If the Bears can get out to an early lead and score some first quarter points, I like our chances.

Bears 23-20.

I have always been the "forever optimist." HOWEVER, (and I pray I am wrong), I think we are going to get our ass kicked.

1) Our OL has to be one of the bottom ten in the league. LAR has one of the best DL in the NFL led by Aaron Donald. I think Dalton will get pounded. Nagy will keep him in there to avoid having Fields put in harms way in his first game.

2) I'm not convinced our DBs are as good as billed. Stafford was a brilliant addition for LAR. I think he will pick us apart.

The only positive (I pray), I think after what I suspect will be an embarrassing defeat, Fields will start week 2.

Again, I hope I am wrong, but I am thinking LA Rams 31 Bears 10.

I'm hoping for a win but not expecting one.  Stafford knows our D very well, and he's finally on a team that has a chance to be good, he finally escaped Detroit.  His experience against us should be a decent advantage.  It really all hinges on our offense and more specifically our line play.  Give Dalton time and he can pick you apart but more than likely he's going to be under pressure a lot so it will be tough for him to be comfortable back there throwing.  If we can't get the ground game going at all we'll be toast, no matter who's behind center.  Field's mobility and threat to run would help but we can't be one dimensional and walk away with a win.   My other key is turnovers on D, we will need some especially if we can get some short fields to work with.  If we're constantly working from the shadow of our end zone it'll be a long day.  

10 hours ago, Pixote said:

I have always been the "forever optimist." HOWEVER, (and I pray I am wrong), I think we are going to get our ass kicked.

1) Our OL has to be one of the bottom ten in the league. LAR has one of the best DL in the NFL led by Aaron Donald. I think Dalton will get pounded. Nagy will keep him in there to avoid having Fields put in harms way in his first game.

2) I'm not convinced our DBs are as good as billed. Stafford was a brilliant addition for LAR. I think he will pick us apart.

The only positive (I pray), I think after what I suspect will be an embarrassing defeat, Fields will start week 2.

In the last 3 seasons, Stafford played in 4 games against the Bears, went 1-3 and had 6 TDs and 6 INTs, and was sacked 11 times. He has 1x 300-yd passing game against the Bears since 2016. 

Outside of Donald and Ramsey, they don't have much else on defense. Our TEs really have an opportunity to dominate against their weak LB corps. Donald also plays in the inside, which is the strength of our O-Line. Peters/Ifedi have to go against Floyd + whoever. I think we are ok there. It will really come down to how our defense plays against the Rams offense. Akers is out, Brown is gone, so Henderson/Michel is their backfield.  We also have a secret weapon, Ogletree, who should have first-hand insight into the Rams from his time there.

5 minutes ago, BearFan2000 said:

I'm hoping for a win but not expecting one.  Stafford knows our D very well, and he's finally on a team that has a chance to be good, he finally escaped Detroit.  His experience against us should be a decent advantage.  It really all hinges on our offense and more specifically our line play.  Give Dalton time and he can pick you apart but more than likely he's going to be under pressure a lot so it will be tough for him to be comfortable back there throwing.  If we can't get the ground game going at all we'll be toast, no matter who's behind center.  Field's mobility and threat to run would help but we can't be one dimensional and walk away with a win.   My other key is turnovers on D, we will need some especially if we can get some short fields to work with.  If we're constantly working from the shadow of our end zone it'll be a long day.  

Swift, Peterson, Hockenson, Golladay, Jones, Amendola in not much different than Henderson, Michel, Higbee, Kupp, Woods, Jackson.

The biggest difference from Detroit to LA is the defense, but even then, it is not the same group as it was the last few years, and they have a new coordinator. So the defense is a huge question mark outside of Donald and Ramsey.

1 hour ago, adam said:

We also have a secret weapon, Ogletree, who should have first-hand insight into the Rams from his time there.

I think he’s going to be a significant factor in the game.  I’m hoping for great things for him. 

I think McVays ingenuity is old hat.  I will say he’s much better than Nagy when it comes to play calling but the tools he has to work with aren’t what they once were.  I agree that although Stafford is an improvement to Goff, he’s not a huge improvement.  

The big concerns I have are how well the OTs play, who plays CB opposite Johnson (frankly I’m still not sold on JJ - yet) and Jackson.  He’s not been all that great since that one year (2018?).  I’m glad Tashaun Gibson is back.  And really I need to see how Desai calls a full defense.  I get that he’s a “disciple” of Fangio but hell I’m a huge fan too and I’m pretty sure I couldn’t call a D as well as he does.  

One big overall plus is that they at least had a relatively full preseason. So we won’t see them waiting to gel as a team until week 5 or 6.  And it’s less than a week until the first game!   Bears football…is back!

Bears 21 - Rams 17

17 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I think he’s going to be a significant factor in the game.  I’m hoping for great things for him. 

I think McVays ingenuity is old hat.  I will say he’s much better than Nagy when it comes to play calling but the tools he has to work with aren’t what they once were.  I agree that although Stafford is an improvement to Goff, he’s not a huge improvement.  

The big concerns I have are how well the OTs play, who plays CB opposite Johnson (frankly I’m still not sold on JJ - yet) and Jackson.  He’s not been all that great since that one year (2018?).  I’m glad Tashaun Gibson is back.  And really I need to see how Desai calls a full defense.  I get that he’s a “disciple” of Fangio but hell I’m a huge fan too and I’m pretty sure I couldn’t call a D as well as he does.  

One big overall plus is that they at least had a relatively full preseason. So we won’t see them waiting to gel as a team until week 5 or 6.  And it’s less than a week until the first game!   Bears football…is back!

Bears 21 - Rams 17

I miss your optimism!  My preidiction is Rams 26, Bears 16.  I don't see Nagy doing anything different to garnish different results.  Dalton is just a bit better than Foles, maybe.  Our D should be a bit better, but what we gain in Goldman, we lost in Fuller.  So, it's a wash.  I fear Stafford picking us apart slowly with slants or passes to the TE.  We can't defend those for crap.  We've been unable to since Url retired.  Nagy will refuse to run Monty as usual (or at minimum call the worst plays for him, especially at the most integral of times...ie.  3rd and 1, and then some trickeration end around flea flicker back to Monty for no gain), which is our only hope of winning. 

My jadedness departs when Fields plays.  Everything else is a waste of time. 

:P

2 hours ago, adam said:

Swift, Peterson, Hockenson, Golladay, Jones, Amendola in not much different than Henderson, Michel, Higbee, Kupp, Woods, Jackson.

The biggest difference from Detroit to LA is the defense, but even then, it is not the same group as it was the last few years, and they have a new coordinator. So the defense is a huge question mark outside of Donald and Ramsey.

The biggest difference is the Rams are simply not Detroit.  They don't have that black cloud of doom hovering above them. 

12 hours ago, Pixote said:

You are sadly, probably correct.  I think 26-17.  But fear worse...  

On 9/6/2021 at 7:33 AM, Mongo3451 said:

If we can establish a running game...

That right there is the biggest "IF" of all...  I don't trust Nagy to do it.  History shows he won't.  It's not in his "scheme".

1 hour ago, madlithuanian said:

I miss your optimism! 

Your time away has jaded you for sure.  Here you used to be the most positive thinker among the group.  Understandable considering what the team has gone through the last few years.  However..."hope springs eternal" and I'm just glad to see the Bears back on TV.  In the end, its a pleasant distraction.  

2 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Your time away has jaded you for sure.  Here you used to be the most positive thinker among the group.  Understandable considering what the team has gone through the last few years.  However..."hope springs eternal" and I'm just glad to see the Bears back on TV.  In the end, its a pleasant distraction.  

Once I see Fields on the field, my hope will be back!  :)

Not that this is really game game day related but; Cutler is back.   Well at least his number is.  Danny T has decided to go single digits and chose the number he wore in pee-wee football.  We’ll have to wait a few weeks for him on the field with it while he chills out on IR. 

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/lists/bears-danny-trevathan-new-jersey-number-jay-cutler-reaction/ 

Rams 28 - Bears 10

Nagy refuses to run, and the shit OL gets Dalton body slammed repeatedly. Stafford methodically picks the Bears apart with mid-range passes, and Sony Michael breaks one big run. The Bears fall into a 14+ hole. By the time Nagy realizes what’s going on and makes any changes it’s too late. Leonard Floyd celebrates on the sideline like a 6-year old who gets to eat ice cream for breakfast while the Bears physicians and psychologists check on a noticeably shell-shocked Andy Dalton, whose hearing is a mix of tinnitus, audible boos, car crash sounds, and “We want Fields”-chants.

6 hours ago, jason said:

By the time Nagy realizes what’s going on and makes any changes it’s too late. Leonard Floyd celebrates on the sideline like a 6-year old who gets to eat ice cream for breakfast while the Bears physicians and psychologists check on a noticeably shell-shocked Andy Dalton, whose hearing is a mix of tinnitus, audible boos, car crash sounds, and “We want Fields”-chants.

🤣🤣🤣

On 9/9/2021 at 10:56 PM, jason said:

Rams 28 - Bears 10

Nagy refuses to run, and the shit OL gets Dalton body slammed repeatedly. Stafford methodically picks the Bears apart with mid-range passes, and Sony Michael breaks one big run. The Bears fall into a 14+ hole. By the time Nagy realizes what’s going on and makes any changes it’s too late. Leonard Floyd celebrates on the sideline like a 6-year old who gets to eat ice cream for breakfast while the Bears physicians and psychologists check on a noticeably shell-shocked Andy Dalton, whose hearing is a mix of tinnitus, audible boos, car crash sounds, and “We want Fields”-chants.

ahahaha - excellent. well written.

This is so much of a   one-sided  contest,  the Bears will surprise us. Maybe not win but a 23 to 20 type of game.I can see Ogletree and Mack having a big game. Alex played for the Rams for 8 yrs. IF we run the ball well we will keep it close. Montgomery and James will score TDs. Rams don't have the same defense they had last yr and lost their defensive coordinator. It will matter. Rarely will our OTs face Aaron Donald, our internal OL will neutralise him.The last 3 yrs Donald made a few plays but never went off. Their running game will be shut down. As long as keep their short passing game in check, we will have a chance.

5 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

This is so much of a   one-sided  contest,  the Bears will surprise us. Maybe not win but a 23 to 20 type of game.I can see Ogletree and Mack having a big game. Alex played for the Rams for 8 yrs. IF we run the ball well we will keep it close. Montgomery and James will score TDs. Rams don't have the same defense they had last yr and lost their defensive coordinator. It will matter. Rarely will our OTs face Aaron Donald, our internal OL will neutralise him.The last 3 yrs Donald made a few plays but never went off. Their running game will be shut down. As long as keep their short passing game in check, we will have a chance.

This is the type of optimism I like.  I think you’re right that as long as they follow your suggested game plan (fair balance of run) we will be pleasantly surprised.  My concern will be with pass coverage but as long as Stafford isn’t allowed to get comfortable then it won’t be as much an issue.