Week 2 Official Game Thread - CIN @ CHI , -3, O/U 45, SUN 9/19, 12:00PM CT - FOX

adam

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

59 minutes ago, 50england50 said:

Agree I’m unsure that Fields is ready. Massive difference between Dalton and Fields today but could have been closer if receivers caught catchable balls 

Yeah you can see the game is slower to Dalton.  Fields will improve but some of what he was doing today made it obvious he’s still a rookie.  There were at least two dropped balls (one by ARob for a TD) that coulda helped get Justin that more confident.  

2 hours ago, 50england50 said:

Agree I’m unsure that Fields is ready. Massive difference between Dalton and Fields today but could have been closer if receivers caught catchable balls 

There is also a huge difference in game prep. Fields is the Scout Team QB.  Runs plays that the other team has against our Defense. That is totally different than getting 1st Team reps, building timing with Center and receivers. Once he gets a few weeks of prep under his belt, he will be fine. The INT is on him, but a good learning moment. I doubt he falls for that again.

If Kmet is not called for the phantom OPI and ARob doesn't look like Wims, there is a completely different narrative as that was 10 points off the board. Also, Mustipher didn't help much, in block nor hiking the ball. He was getting turnstiled on almost every play and was completely off when Fields was in there.

I blame Nagy as much as Fields, Nagy elected to give Fields very little time with the ones.  

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Yeah you can see the game is slower to Dalton.  Fields will improve but some of what he was doing today made it obvious he’s still a rookie.  There were at least two dropped balls (one by ARob for a TD) that coulda helped get Justin that more confident.  

Dalton checked down on at least 75% of the plays, and almost immediately. Fields had more attempts 10+ yards in a quarter than Dalton had in 5+ quarters.

Nagy needs to give Fields a week of prep with the 1's, and use plays that use Fields strengths. Sitting him in a pocket that is collapsing is the worst idea and Nagy left him back there. The Edge Rushers were playing meet at the QB. Nagy has to move the pocket, use some bootlegs and roll outs. This is mobile QB 101. I liked that Fields slid a few times and didn't attempt to break tackles outside of the spin move.

I'm rooting for Fields, but that was not a very encouraging start to his career. It's not a total dud either, because his WR's dropped several great passes that would have made his numbers look much better, and we know he came in during the middle of the game without having had any reps with the 1st team offense in practice (or pre-season, for that matter). He looked like a rookie that wasn't quite ready for the moment.

He had 2 bad false start penalties, a fumble that was almost a TD, and a brutal INT that nearly got them beat. Nagy didn't do him any favors with the playcalling—again—not running any bootlegs or rollouts that got him outside the pocket. He didn't look comfortable sitting back and reading the defense, which is why it's so frustrating that Nagy didn't call any plays to help ease the pressure off of him. He held the ball too long, and I don't think he looked very explosive with his runs either.

All that said, he definitely made some impressive throws. That throw to Robinson that he dropped was perfect. He threw it with enough arc to allow Robinson to adjust on the fly. He just didn't come down with it. It was a huge momentum swing too, because it came right after the Bears picked off Joe Burrow. The stadium would have exploded. 

Mooney dropped another deep throw on a crossing route that I thought should have been caught, and then there was a garbage OPI call on Cole Kmet that would have put the team in FG position.

He also deserves credit for saving the game at the end by picking up that last 1st down with his feet on (I believe) a 3rd down. That is a dynamic you'll never get with Andy Dalton.

All in all it was a mixed bag performance from Fields. I don't think he did enough to deserve a start against CLE if Dalton is healthy, but I'm also very curious to see how he'll play with a week of game prep. I think he's only going to get better with more experience. I just wish I trusted the HC to put him in better positions to succeed.

If the defense didn't give up those two touchdowns late, I would have said this defense played a lot like their 2018 selves. 3 straight INT's, and a fumble is a good day for any defense, but their secondary is still a major problem. Duke Shelley was getting torched out there. Eddie Jackson wasn't looking at the ball on the touchdown to Chase. I think he may have been able to pick that off if he's looking at the ball and not where the defender is going.

Mack made a sack, but he's not the game changing defensive player he used to be. It's been a while since I've seen him takeover a game.

The most disappointing part about today is the fact that the offense could only score 6 points off of their 4 turnovers. All of them gave the Bears favorable field position. That just cannot happen. It absolutely is something that happens way too often in a Matt Nagy offense. I'm tired of these games where it's a struggle to reach 20 points. That should be a constant on a BAD offensive day, not a good one. They've got to get to a point where they can confidently walk into any game knowing they're good for at least 24. That's what a modern NFL offense should be able to do.

18 hours ago, Bears4Ever_34 said:

If the defense didn't give up those two touchdowns late, I would have said this defense played a lot like their 2018 selves. 3 straight INT's, and a fumble is a good day for any defense, but their secondary is still a major problem. Duke Shelley was getting torched out there. Eddie Jackson wasn't looking at the ball on the touchdown to Chase. I think he may have been able to pick that off if he's looking at the ball and not where the defender is going.

Mack made a sack, but he's not the game changing defensive player he used to be. It's been a while since I've seen him takeover a game.

The most disappointing part about today is the fact that the offense could only score 6 points off of their 4 turnovers. All of them gave the Bears favorable field position. That just cannot happen. It absolutely is something that happens way too often in a Matt Nagy offense. I'm tired of these games where it's a struggle to reach 20 points. That should be a constant on a BAD offensive day, not a good one. They've got to get to a point where they can confidently walk into any game knowing they're good for at least 24. That's what a modern NFL offense should be able to do.

You can't have your #1 receiver (who wants 20 million) drop touchdown passes. The throw from Fields was perfect. A TD there changes the game completely.

Peace

1 hour ago, Connorbear said:

You can't have your #1 receiver (who wants 20 million) drop touchdown passes. The throw from Fields was perfect. A TD there changes the game completely.

Peace

Agree, 

Your star WR needs to make those catches.  Usually Robinson does make them but that would have definitely changed the game when that drop happened.  That ball couldn't have been placed better.  Moony also let one go through his hands.  Maybe our WR's aren't used to having the ball hit them in the hands? Fields did look like a rookie out there but he also didn't get a lot of help.   I give him credit for the effort to to make sure the fumble didn't become a scoop and score.  It was a blind side hit but he was also holding the ball a little loose there.  His scramble late did seal the game, so it was a mixed bag of good and bad as you'd expect from a rookie.  With Dalton's knee they better get Fields 1st team reps in practice this week ahead of week 3 (should have from the get go).  

On D we saw the best of the D and the worst of the D.   We go from a fumble recovery, back to back to back INT's (one a pick 6) then late in the game we looked like the keynote cops again.  One DB tackling the other DB to allow a walk in TD.  

22 hours ago, adam said:

Dalton checked down on at least 75% of the plays, and almost immediately. Fields had more attempts 10+ yards in a quarter than Dalton had in 5+ quarters.

Nagy needs to give Fields a week of prep with the 1's, and use plays that use Fields strengths. Sitting him in a pocket that is collapsing is the worst idea and Nagy left him back there. The Edge Rushers were playing meet at the QB. Nagy has to move the pocket, use some bootlegs and roll outs. This is mobile QB 101. I liked that Fields slid a few times and didn't attempt to break tackles outside of the spin move.

Usually you provide more statistical info to support your claim (regarding Dalton's check downs).  Saying '75% of the time' he does that seems a bit high. Just my watching the last game showed him throw a fair number of 10 yard plus throws.  One 30 yard pass to Goodwin was pretty much on target and although ruled incomplete was given to them based on the DPI (push out of bounds) that resulted.  Unless of course you're talking about Dalton since game one or in his career.  I was just talking more about this last game. 

Agree that Nagy didn't make any adjustments.  You could tell Fields isn't used to being a pocket passer and Nagy should have adjusted the game play more to his talents.  He basically stuck Fields in where Dalton would have been had he still been playing.  We saw the same thing with Trubisky.  I want to say it wasn't until year two that we saw Mitch roll out more than he did the year before.  

On 9/19/2021 at 11:19 AM, adam said:

Nichols with the sack to finish the half with a shutout.

Fields didn't have much time, the O-Line is playing like crap. 

There were some bad plays from the line, but that was the big issue I saw from fields during preseason. He looks downfield and shows his arm talent (which is special). He also shows an ability to make plays with his legs. But he has to figure out how to take the easy plays and the gimme's too and really give himself a chance. He can't just sit back and hold the ball as long as he does. If he does that -> he will get killed and have a very short career.  I see no reason he won't figure that out, but it is why I was always open to him getting a bit more time because he's got to make quicker decisions.