New coach

NAMEDSONPAYTON2

9 hours ago, AZ54 said:

That's the rookie he wouldn't let throw the football against the Bills?    I know the weather was downright bad with the wind but when it was at his back he still didn't throw.  I don't mind the Fox-ball approach given the weather but 3 passes?  I'm surprised Fox didn't call into the post-game show to say .."I told ya so!"

As far as McDaniels there is zero chance I'd ever hire him after what he did in Denver and then Indy.  People have quit on me in dishonorable ways and then come back asking to work for me again a year or two down the road.  Ain't gonna happen because I could never trust them.  Who wants to work with people they can't trust especially when they are in a leadership position?  

He does what he thinks will allow him to win the game. They won. When Nagy had the 2018 season where he dumbed it down and added some trick plays, we won. We thought we had this great hire. 4 yrs later, John Fox had a better offensive scheme. The McDaniels era in Denver started out rough because he wanted to bring his own QB and would make Jay Cutler compete for the job. He made some bad decisions leading to a11-17 record. How was that betrayal to anyone. John Elway was in Benson's ear trying to get his foot in the door, so they fired him. The Colts job hire broke down when the Colts wouldn't give him control of the organisational  aspect of the team. He wanted to remake the Colts into the Patriots then Kraft told him if he stayed he would take over when Brady and Belichick retired. Brady moved on and Belichick didn't retire, so that's off the table now. He never signed a contract and bailed . The colts pulled a Bears move and announced the hire before he was hired. He didn't bail on a job hire. I'm not saying he's the likable guy Nagy is , but he has a better offensive mind, because offense ain't working here. Any job hire will have its good and bad aspects. McDaniel can win with Fields, ill take that.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

The colts pulled a Bears move and announced the hire before he was hired. He didn't bail on a job hire. I'm not saying he's the likable guy Nagy is , but he has a better offensive mind, because offense ain't working here. Any job hire will have its good and bad aspects. McDaniel can win with Fields, ill take that.

I remember this well.  The contract was fully agreed upon by all parties.  McDaniels even had the Colts hire assistant coaches for him, as he was on his way on to sign the contract after wrapping things up in NE.  He wasn't just flirting with the Colts, he was balls deep.  I don't trust him as far I can spit.  Luckily, the Colts landed Frank Reich, who seems like a terrific hire.

On 12/10/2021 at 3:09 AM, Stinger226 said:

Then Pace will hire a new GM that will in turn  hire a new coach. Because of Paces ties to Payton in NO, could he want out of NO with the fall off of success from the Brees era? Bringing Payton in to be GM and HC to work with Fields? Payton is one of the better coaches in the league, and maybe he would look for a  new challenge? 

I have been reading a lot of rumor material based on this.  One article I read laid out how it would be to get a guy like Payton to Chicago. ‘Trading’ for a coach isn’t common but not unheard of either.  Gruden was traded from the Raiders to the Bucs all those many years ago for money and picks.  The second part of that deal (picks) are what concern me given how little draft capital the Bears have at this point.  I think if a deal like this were swung it would come down to how much Payton would want to do it.  Coming back to his ‘hometown’ Chicago and work with an up and coming Qb?  Guess we’ll see.

7 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

He does what he thinks will allow him to win the game. They won. When Nagy had the 2018 season where he dumbed it down and added some trick plays, we won. We thought we had this great hire. 4 yrs later, John Fox had a better offensive scheme. The McDaniels era in Denver started out rough because he wanted to bring his own QB and would make Jay Cutler compete for the job. He made some bad decisions leading to a11-17 record. How was that betrayal to anyone. John Elway was in Benson's ear trying to get his foot in the door, so they fired him. The Colts job hire broke down when the Colts wouldn't give him control of the organisational  aspect of the team. He wanted to remake the Colts into the Patriots then Kraft told him if he stayed he would take over when Brady and Belichick retired. Brady moved on and Belichick didn't retire, so that's off the table now. He never signed a contract and bailed . The colts pulled a Bears move and announced the hire before he was hired. He didn't bail on a job hire. I'm not saying he's the likable guy Nagy is , but he has a better offensive mind, because offense ain't working here. Any job hire will have its good and bad aspects. McDaniel can win with Fields, ill take that.

If McDaniels didn't agree to the Colts deal why did his assistants sign contracts with them?  Don't you think they were talking with McDaniels before they signed those contracts?     He agreed to terms and then went out hiring/recruiting his staff but couldn't officially sign the deal until the Patriots season ended.  

https://www.nfl.com/news/josh-mcdaniels-withdraws-from-colts-coaching-job-0ap3000000915131

Rapoport added that McDaniels was offering Colts jobs to prospective assistants as late as Tuesday before changing his mind about the job.

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2018/02/07/indianapolis-colts-news-keep-assistant-coaches-hired-by-josh-mcdaniels/

23 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I remember this well.  The contract was fully agreed upon by all parties.  McDaniels even had the Colts hire assistant coaches for him, as he was on his way on to sign the contract after wrapping things up in NE.  He wasn't just flirting with the Colts, he was balls deep.  I don't trust him as far I can spit.  Luckily, the Colts landed Frank Reich, who seems like a terrific hire.

The only in depth information I found on the topic was a SI story. I'm not trying to suggest he is a good dude, just that the narrative was worst than the story suggested. I will try to find a link. 

18 hours ago, AZ54 said:

If McDaniels didn't agree to the Colts deal why did his assistants sign contracts with them?  Don't you think they were talking with McDaniels before they signed those contracts?     He agreed to terms and then went out hiring/recruiting his staff but couldn't officially sign the deal until the Patriots season ended.  

https://www.nfl.com/news/josh-mcdaniels-withdraws-from-colts-coaching-job-0ap3000000915131

Rapoport added that McDaniels was offering Colts jobs to prospective assistants as late as Tuesday before changing his mind about the job.

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2018/02/07/indianapolis-colts-news-keep-assistant-coaches-hired-by-josh-mcdaniels/

I stand corrected. Never seen this story. The only one I read was a SI story that suggested deal was not done yet.

19 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

The only in depth information I found on the topic was a SI story. I'm not trying to suggest he is a good dude, just that the narrative was worst than the story suggested. I will try to find a link. 

I live in Indy and this was a hot button topic for weeks.  What made it worse, is that Colts fans hate the Patriots with a passion.

12 minutes ago, Bill said:

If the Bears fire Nagy before the end of the season, or before Pace, does that not show that they are going to keep Pace? 

Today there is a report the Bears spoke to Trace Armstrong about becoming the Head of Football Operations for the organization.  Even though Trace said it was not true, I think that is the route the Bears need to go before deciding Paces fate.  Get someone in place to find the GM. Maybe Pace moves up and Champ Kelly takes GM.  

15 minutes ago, Bill said:

If the Bears fire Nagy before the end of the season, or before Pace, does that not show that they are going to keep Pace? 

It should but there is a chance it won't. The logical move it fire both, then bring in a new GM to hire a new coach. That is why they need to do it before the 2 week window, so they have enough time to interview and hire a new GM, and that GM can take advantage of the 2 week period for interviews. 

Otherwise, keeping him after Nagy is gone is wasted time if he is going to also be fired. 

7 hours ago, adam said:

It should but there is a chance it won't. The logical move it fire both, then bring in a new GM to hire a new coach. That is why they need to do it before the 2 week window, so they have enough time to interview and hire a new GM, and that GM can take advantage of the 2 week period for interviews. 

Otherwise, keeping him after Nagy is gone is wasted time if he is going to also be fired. 

Then they would have to fire pave after tonight right.  Fire Pace tomorrow hire someone that is at this time free.  lI would think there are a few good options. I also don't see a lot of teams lettings others talk to their coaches with two weeks left.  Most of them are in the hunt you would think

7 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Today there is a report the Bears spoke to Trace Armstrong about becoming the Head of Football Operations for the organization.  Even though Trace said it was not true, I think that is the route the Bears need to go before deciding Paces fate.  Get someone in place to find the GM. Maybe Pace moves up and Champ Kelly takes GM.  

Too much smoke not to be a little solder.  Multiple outlets say yes, Trace says no.  What else can he do?  He has a huge client base that includes Matt Nagy and Ryan Day.  Also, with the firing rumor before Christmas and the Bezos visit to Halas Hall.  It's going down somehow...

Whatever happens, I hope that Ryan Day does not make it into final consideration as HC.  With Urban Meyer's mess of a season in JAX as an example, the last thing is our team needs is another unproven 'wunderkind' to come in and try to make things right.  As much as it pains me to look, the two QBs to start at Ohio State (prior to Fields) in the last 6 years are JT Barret and Dwayne Haskins.  Barret is nowhere to be seen in the NFL and Haskins is fading fast.  Both Meyer and Day worked with these guys while at OSU.  All that being said, I still think Fields will be a 'one-off' from those guys but still don't want Day anywhere near him in the NFL.