Current 2022 Draft Capital

adam

If the season ended today, the Bears would have the 6th pick, tied with NYG and SEA, so they would rotate picks every round. So they lost a 1st and 4th for Fields, and 7th with Miller, and got back a 5th for Miller. Since HOU is terrible, that ends up as a very high 5th. The Bears got Borom and Herbert in the 5th last year. 

With the following picks, I would love to see the new GM move down on either Pick 37 or 71 and pick up a 4th rounder. That would give them 5 picks in the top 150, which is decent.

With those 5 picks, you get a WR1, CB2, C, S, and BPA (WR, CB, or ILB). I would be happy with a draft like that. They would still have a solid 6th rounder to use as well. 

6 (1)- to NYG for Fields
37 (2)- 
71 (3)- 
111 (4)- to NYG for Fields
146 (5)- from HOU for Miller
149 (5)-
191 (6)-
234 (7)- to HOU w/ Miller 

Thoughts?

I'm not sure how you draft a rookie #1 WR, especially with the 37th pick. I think we may well draft a WR there, but we will be looking to free agency for a #1 WR first.

Unless we have a "building year" and then anything is possible. Ugh.

3 hours ago, adam said:

If the season ended today, the Bears would have the 6th pick, tied with NYG and SEA, so they would rotate picks every round. So they lost a 1st and 4th for Fields, and 7th with Miller, and got back a 5th for Miller. Since HOU is terrible, that ends up as a very high 5th. The Bears got Borom and Herbert in the 5th last year. 

With the following picks, I would love to see the new GM move down on either Pick 37 or 71 and pick up a 4th rounder. That would give them 5 picks in the top 150, which is decent.

With those 5 picks, you get a WR1, CB2, C, S, and BPA (WR, CB, or ILB). I would be happy with a draft like that. They would still have a solid 6th rounder to use as well. 

6 (1)- to NYG for Fields
37 (2)- 
71 (3)- 
111 (4)- to NYG for Fields
146 (5)- from HOU for Miller
149 (5)-
191 (6)-
234 (7)- to HOU w/ Miller 

Thoughts?

Don't draft a center. Move Daniels to center and have Bars play right guard.  WR/CB with the 1st 2 picks in any order.

Peace

I’d rather trade out of the first altogether and load up. As always, I’m an advocate of building via OLine. They need to figure if Jenkins is going to play LT or RT, and then draft the other ASAFP.

I agree with Connor also. Move Daniels to Center since that’s what he played in Iowa.

44 minutes ago, jason said:

I’d rather trade out of the first altogether and load up. As always, I’m an advocate of building via OLine. They need to figure if Jenkins is going to play LT or RT, and then draft the other ASAFP.

I agree with Connor also. Move Daniels to Center since that’s what he played in Iowa.

Well we're not in the first round so that's a done deal.  Are you advocating trading out of the 2nd Rd?  I wouldn't do that.  Odds are good a starting caliber player falls to us at 37.  Depending on what the board looks like when we're on the clock I might be ok trading back a few spots to add a pick.  I have to see who's available before making that call.  

2 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

I'm not sure how you draft a rookie #1 WR, especially with the 37th pick. I think we may well draft a WR there, but we will be looking to free agency for a #1 WR first.

Unless we have a "building year" and then anything is possible. Ugh.

It's way too early to get a feel for draft rankings and I really need to start looking at CBs, but if WR Jameson Williams from Alabama is there at 37 I'm ok if we draft him.   He's a football player which is evident on his kick return and coverage skills.  He's got quickness in his cuts and enough deep speed to compliment Mooney nicely.  Doesn't hurt that he played with Fields at OSU before transferring to 'Bama.  I'd like to know why he transferred.  

I don't see him as a #1 WR, at least not at this point in his skill set, but having a couple good #2s can work especially if both are deep threats.   Dazz Newsome should be our slot WR.  Not sure what his issue is because they brought up Adams this past week.  

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/dazz-newsome-2021-nfl-draft-prospect-interview

You spent most of your time playing as a slot receiver at North Carolina. Is that where NFL teams see you playing at the next level? I imagine you’ve gathered some good intel on that through your Zoom meetings.

DN: Yeah, most of them are saying that I’ll play in the slot. I spoke with one coach that said he thinks I can play the Z position for them. I feel like I can play anywhere, but most teams see me as a slot receiver. 

If you don't get a Center, then you have to get another G anyway. 

As for WR, Mooney is the only WR under contract next year. We have to draft a WR early. Maybe not in the 2nd, but in the 3rd for sure. I am thinking CB then WR would be great. Get a bookend corner to go with Johnson, then add a WR to go with Mooney. Add a couple of vets to fill out the WR room. 

We need a OC, whether Daniels moves over or we draft one. Also another quality WR (forget AROB), either by draft or a Gallup type (still not cheap). Definitely a CB. 

We should take the BPA at a spot of need at any of our low picks. 

Our needs (my opinion)  CB, WR, OC, DT, TE in that order. 

When we fire Pace and Nagy, everyone in the system goes. My thought is to move Pace over to president of Football Operations ( eliminate Phillips) a new GM, and new Coach. That way we can keep our scouts of which I think are finding some gems.  Maybe some more opinions in the room will keep Pace in check on some of his dumb moves. 

2020 draft -Kmet-Johnson-Gipson-Mooney  all part of our core going forward. Vidor is just a depth player, maybe he can survive in the NB spot.

2021- Fields-Jenkins-Borom-Herbert-Newsome-Graham- Tonga. The jury is still out on most of these players but Fields is probably our franchise QB -Borom, Tonga,  and Herbert show they can play. Jenkins may be good but we dont know yet. Newsome and Graham will need to prove themselves. 

Dont forget the UDFA's from those years that are still hanging around   Snowden-Caleb Johnson-Brian Johnson-Sam Kamara-Artavis Pierce-Lacan London-Ladarius Mack-Dieter Eiselen. A few may end up being quality backups one day.

Offensively ) Fields- Monty- K Herbert- Mooney- Kmet- Jesse James-Tarek Cohen-Jakeem  Grant. With additions of another WR and TE, we may be able to push a modern scoring offense. 

Oline) Whitehair-Jenkins-Borom-Ifed are the only Oline signed for 2022. At worst we have to resign Daniels and move him to center and let Ifed play the RG position. Bring back Bars and Mustifer for depth. Every time Bars plays he gets good reviews so maybe we can play him at RG and let Ifed go. 

Defense) Mack-Quinn-EJAC- Trevathan all have big contracts that will not allow them to leave. R. Smith has one year left, we need to give him his money. Tonga-Blackson-Edwards-Attaochu-Tashaun Gipson-Goldman are still under contract. We need to resign Blair Nichols at a team friendly contract. Bring back Bush and DHC for depth at S position.

Am I the only one who likes Jesper Horsted?  I simply think Nagy either doesn't know how to use him or is being too stubborn sticking with Graham.  How is he not a good fit for the role Trey Burton played for us years ago?   I realize part of the issue is the Oline pass protection issues (need to keep better blockers at TE) and Field's learning curve.  I'm not putting Horsted in the Pro Bowl just saying he's a viable chess piece who can exploit defenses in the right situations.  He's an ERFA so I think we keep him around to see what happens with the next coaching staff.

Baltimore can figure out how to get 3 TEs on the field and still run an effective passing game.  We haven't been able to do this with ARob out for several games and we're stuck watching Damiere Byrd try to get open.  I can't believe Byrd is an asset in the running game more so than Horsted.  

I think with all our needs next year, we will be keeping J. James, Kmet, Horsted . I think he is not considered a blocker and that has to do with his playing time. With AROB out, because of his size, I would think he would get some reps on the field. 6-4 241 is good size. When they need a power package they have been bringing in A. Bars to fill the TE spot. 

20 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Defense) Mack-Quinn-EJAC- Trevathan all have big contracts that will not allow them to leave. R. Smith has one year left, we need to give him his money. Tonga-Blackson-Edwards-Attaochu-Tashaun Gipson-Goldman are still under contract. We need to resign Blair Nichols at a team friendly contract. Bring back Bush and DHC for depth at S position.

R. Smith will be a good chunk of change when we extend him, and we should do so.  I'd rather deal Mack, Jackson, and Trevathan, and use the money saved towards paying Roquan, and trying to keep Quinn (never thought I'd say that after last year's version of Quinn).  Quinn has earned the chance to stick around.  Mack gives flashes, and he's looked far more like himself this season when he was healthy which has been less and less often.  

I think our highest priority in the draft should be CB and WR.  Having a true stud #1 WR is probably not a realistic hope for next year.  But an offense can be as successful with multiple solid #2 types and in some ways it's better to have multiple solid #2's and some solid #3's  than having a stud #1 and a collection of Meh behind him where defenses will shut him down and make you one dimensional.  Having multiple quality weapons at the WR/TE position spreads the D out more and they can't just focus on one player.  Let AROB go, draft one or two quality #2's with high end potential, add some vets and call it a day.  Perhaps 2023 draft will give us a shot at a stud #1 to add to a solid WR group from 2022.  

The line does need addressed, I feel like our interior is where our line's strength is, so we need to figure out our LT & RT going forward.  I feel like the group we have we can field a solid RG, C, LG.  As always finding the bookends to the line is the biggest challenge.  With the games remaining we need to see if Jenkins can develop at either tackle spot.  Borom has shown some promise as well.  Haven't done much looking at potential draft prospects at either LT or RT in the 2022 draft. Figuring this out though is going to be the key regardless of who's coaching next year.  But whoever it is will impact which pieces get moved where.  

Looking ahead, I'm trying to remember if we have given up any 2023 draft capitol at this point yet.  It would be nice to go into a draft for once with a full slate of picks.  We keep borrowing from the future to try and patch the present, and we need to stop that.  If Pace survives the offseason I hope that means sweaty teddy is gone and Pace moves into his role and we get a new GM, who'll bring in the next coach, etc.  I think the Phillips role would better suit Pace, and I do think our scouting team has done a good job, and Pace has show an improved eye for talent, which would be a big upgrade over Phillips who's just a bean counter where as Pace could grow nicely into that position.  It'd still allow him to provide input to the GM in a way that we don't have now.  

I dont think any of our high priced defensive vets are tradable. Big salaries and in case of Mack, Trevathan they have injuries now. Jackson is not worth his contract so I doubt if anyone would want him. With Jenkins still a question mark , I think they will wait and see what we got in him before drafting a LT high again. Maybe a OC or RG if a talent is available. BUT with a new GM on the horizon , hard to guess how he lists his priorities. I think CB , if available should be the #1 priority, then WR and OL. 

On 12/7/2021 at 9:33 PM, AZ54 said:

Well we're not in the first round so that's a done deal.  Are you advocating trading out of the 2nd Rd?  I wouldn't do that.  Odds are good a starting caliber player falls to us at 37.  Depending on what the board looks like when we're on the clock I might be ok trading back a few spots to add a pick.  I have to see who's available before making that call.  

Just shows how little I’m paying attention. I forgot the Pace is a kid at a candy store and trades away firsts like Kevin Costner in Draft Day.

There are five positions that you have to pay a major price for in free agency.  QB, LT, WR, edge and CB.  We are good on QB, LT and edge, so CB and WR must be drafted.(I'm only including LT as good because I know that won't be invested draft capital this year)  with CB and WR being so weak,  I consider that a lock.  Out of the standard 5 positions, S and OC are weakest and would love for them to be drafted.

Edited by Mongo3451
Corrected

7 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

There are five positions that you have to pay a major price for in free agency.  QB, LT, WR, edge and CB.  We are good on QB, LT and edge, so CB and WR must be drafted.(I'm only including LT as good because I know that won't be invested draft capital this year)  with CB and corner being so weak,  I consider that a lock.  Out of the standard 5 positions, S and OC are weakest and would love for them to be drafted.

I read somewhere this is the best draft for safeties in a long time.  Good for us because we need 2.  

I know our 2nd round pick could be attractive to keep,  trade down or if Pace is still in charge use to trade up.  Since we used picks to trade up in the past, I would like to see a trade down once or twice if it can net us a some more top 120 picks.

Let's say we trade down in the 2nd twice to get to pick 56. First trade to SF pick 2-38 for 2-49, 3-85. And 4-122.  Then trade BUF for pick 2-49 for 2-56 and 3-87.  This could give us a group of contributors/starters maybe not an all-pro, but a good core.

2-56 John Metchie WR AL

3-71 Josh Jobe CB AL

3-85 Bubba Bolden SS Mia

3-87 Jameree Salyer OG Ga

4-122 Jeremy Ruckert TE OSU

5-143 Tyler Goodson RB Ia

5-148 Tyreke Smith OLB OSU

6-185 Jack Sanborn ILB Wis

In general I like the concept but the concern I have is we must get one good starter out of this draft at either WR or CB.  Metchie would fit that need but I don't see him being there at 56.    We're more likely to end up with a chain-mover type WR in Bell.   Since that's about all ARob is doing these days and we don't have anyone else on the roster like that it's ok.  WR talent seems to drop off quickly after early 2nd Rd and you get to players who are going to need time to develop.  We'll see who moves up as we go through the process because it would be nice to see more talent in the backend of the 2nd rd.      

Whoever is making the decision one of these glaring needs has to be filled at least adequately by FA.  

23 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

There are five positions that you have to pay a major price for in free agency.  QB, LT, WR, edge and CB.  We are good on QB, LT and edge, so CB and WR must be drafted.(I'm only including LT as good because I know that won't be invested draft capital this year)  with CB and WR being so weak,  I consider that a lock.  Out of the standard 5 positions, S and OC are weakest and would love for them to be drafted.

I agree, we need WR, CB, C, and S. The next tier for me is ILB, DL, and more OL. 

2 hours ago, AZ54 said:

In general I like the concept but the concern I have is we must get one good starter out of this draft at either WR or CB.  Metchie would fit that need but I don't see him being there at 56.    We're more likely to end up with a chain-mover type WR in Bell.   Since that's about all ARob is doing these days and we don't have anyone else on the roster like that it's ok.  WR talent seems to drop off quickly after early 2nd Rd and you get to players who are going to need time to develop.  We'll see who moves up as we go through the process because it would be nice to see more talent in the backend of the 2nd rd.      

Whoever is making the decision one of these glaring needs has to be filled at least adequately by FA.  

We really need 3 starters out of this draft at WR, S, CB.  Also, I'd like to see a FA upgrade at those three before the draft.  This is going to be a busy off season.

9 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

We really need 3 starters out of this draft at WR, S, CB.  Also, I'd like to see a FA upgrade at those three before the draft.  This is going to be a busy off season.

I agree we need the starters but odds are not good getting 3 day 1 starters in any draft much less a draft with as few picks as we have.  We have to find a way to address some of these needs in FA.   

22 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Right now I'm in the boat to have the extra picks to increase the odds of finding those starters.

Edit: added - I'd love to steal Devante Adam's from GB to replace AR.  DAdams was also drafted 2nd RD 53rd pick. Having the QB that can do what Rodgers can do helps make WRs, so I am hoping Fields can do this for us.

On 12/8/2021 at 11:25 PM, AZ54 said:

Am I the only one who likes Jesper Horsted?  I simply think Nagy either doesn't know how to use him or is being too stubborn sticking with Graham.  How is he not a good fit for the role Trey Burton played for us years ago?   I realize part of the issue is the Oline pass protection issues (need to keep better blockers at TE) and Field's learning curve.  I'm not putting Horsted in the Pro Bowl just saying he's a viable chess piece who can exploit defenses in the right situations.  He's an ERFA so I think we keep him around to see what happens with the next coaching staff.

Baltimore can figure out how to get 3 TEs on the field and still run an effective passing game.  We haven't been able to do this with ARob out for several games and we're stuck watching Damiere Byrd try to get open.  I can't believe Byrd is an asset in the running game more so than Horsted.  

No.  I'm a big fan of him myself.  But you only have to look at C. Patterson to see how this coaching staff is limited in how they use players and scheme to get the most out of them.  What I don't understand is I believe two coaches on the Falcons who worked with Patterson when he was in Chicago.  Was it Nagy who was so stubborn to not see what Patterson can do and is doing the same with some of the players still on this roster?  I would say yes.