1PM George presser

Chitownhustla

I presume it will be pretty clear - we are going to move on at finding the best GM and HC for who we want, that George will be the person who handles this (with help of Polian and maybe others) and that the position will REPORT directly into him.  I also expect he will give clarity around  - he appreciates and respects Ted a ton and Ted's sole focus will be on the business side of football and the stadium (maybe he announces Ted will be retiring in future, but my guess he doesn't go there).  

I don't think he needs to say much - other than - I believe we have the franchise QB in Fields - but the interesting thing will be timing and how fast they move or don't move (do they get the HC and than find a GM who partners or will they go with the HC first). 

I did read a report that Bears reportedly tried to lure Ozzie Newsome out of retirement for role with Bears (would have been amazing). They also evidently had reached out some feelers to Schneider (Seahawks front office) and the Steelers front office guy who is retiring.  All 3 are obviously extremely experienced and big names - which maybe gives us some indication on what they are thinking.  

I will be curious to see if he mentions whether they will hire a president and a GM or just a GM too.  

9 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I did read a report that Bears reportedly tried to lure Ozzie Newsome out of retirement for role with Bears (would have been amazing). They also evidently had reached out some feelers to Schneider (Seahawks front office) and the Steelers front office guy who is retiring.  All 3 are obviously extremely experienced and big names - which maybe gives us some indication on what they are thinking.  

I will be curious to see if he mentions whether they will hire a president and a GM or just a GM too.  

I like what Im hearing. George may really be serious this time. 

3 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

That was my thought - if the above was true - if anything it was a good sign of how they are thinking about it.  

Im happy they moved on from Nagy and Pace. Ill be to the moon excited if Ted is moved. It starts at the top and if they really Collaborate  like they said last year then you need a Football guy running the whole show. 

Phillips to retain his role; Owner responsible for hiring GM (not TED).  GM will be in charge of football. This seems to imply we will see Bears hire GM -> than hire HC.  Polian will partner with George on the GM hiring process. 

Note: Most good news - but this seems to mean no president of football ops coming.  

1 hour ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Phillips to retain his role; Owner responsible for hiring GM (not TED).  GM will be in charge of football. This seems to imply we will see Bears hire GM -> than hire HC.  Polian will partner with George on the GM hiring process. 

Note: Most good news - but this seems to mean no president of football ops coming.  

this has to be the last time George takes hand grenades for ted Phillips. 

I was surprised to see him call out David Montgomery and Roquan Smith as two players who always gave it their all.  He said he does not plan to ever be involved in day to day football operations but that's a pretty clear statement about what he wants to see on the field.    

1 hour ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Never quite understood that other than a nice name:  GM oversees Dir Player Personnel/Coaching staff.    Dir Football Ops oversees GM/player personnel and Coaching staff.   The only difference is the player personnel person gets a nice GM title but has responsibility limited to just personnel.  

I like Bill Polian advising George better than Ernie Ecorsi. Lets hope they get it right this time. George distanced the Bears football from Ted a little bit more today but in the end it's the same Bears MO. Bill Polian being the new consultant. What does Soup do for the Bears? Is Tanishea going to really have a voice in the hire??? 

57 minutes ago, Chitownhustla said:

I like Bill Polian advising George better than Ernie Ecorsi. Lets hope they get it right this time. George distanced the Bears football from Ted a little bit more today but in the end it's the same Bears MO. Bill Polian being the new consultant. What does Soup do for the Bears? Is Tanishea going to really have a voice in the hire??? 

If Tanesha is there to ensure that more minority candidates are considered, then fine. I find it hard to believe that they don't have a complete list of talented people already, or that there could be a minority coach who would be a good hire for our head coaching position that wasnt already on their radar just based on his abilities and accomplishments, but maybe she helps get more entry level assistants into the pipeline. Thats fine.

But if it means anything like the word equity that Nagy wore, and that her new position title includes, then they can start by making sure half the roster is female. We need more Chinese defensive linemen. We need more people in wheelchairs in the defensive secondary. Where are the 400 pound receivers? Why do the McCaskeys have more money than we do?

Equality is giving everyone a chance to compete.

Equity is determining outcomes on ethnic groups (or gender, sexual preference etc) over ability. it is the opposite of sports.

This team cannot consistently win and dominate with these owners. The entire idea of dominating is the opposite of equity. This goes beyond politics. It is a cultural issue, and it is a suicide pill for a sports team.

Give me the best coaches and players, and I dont care what gender, sexual preference, skin color, religion etc they are. I really dont. Just care about winning and nothing else.

46 minutes ago, Chitownhustla said:

Tanisha is likely there to make sure nothing illegal is said or done.  You can't ask how old someone is, or their health status, family status (are you taking care of someone at home?).  These are risks for anyone doing job interviews these days.  Usually these reps don't have say in final decisions but are there to make sure the process is fair and balanced across all candidates.  You only need to look at this board to see how easily people have preconceptions on certain candidates.  Anyone that has done interviews for a few years has come across some surprisingly good candidates who weren't at the top of the initial list.  We've also had people at the top of the list go down in flames.  

2 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Never quite understood that other than a nice name:  GM oversees Dir Player Personnel/Coaching staff.    Dir Football Ops oversees GM/player personnel and Coaching staff.   The only difference is the player personnel person gets a nice GM title but has responsibility limited to just personnel.  

You are right - it isn't a huge difference, maybe you just get an individual in that president role who is more of an engaged adviser while the GM handles the real work (so think of it more from a workload/how much are you going to committ type of role).  But to your point - it isn't done a ton in the NFL and certainly isn't mandatory for success.

I get that fans are upset that Ted will be involved in the process - but to me - they got rid of the 2 main people they needed to plus directly shifted the role so that the GM is the football person (he doesn't report into Ted or anyone other than the owner, in this case George).  I got what I wanted, by and large. Now they will probably get it wrong, but they did the right things today (whether they won the press conference or not).  

3 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Tanisha is likely there to make sure nothing illegal is said or done.  You can't ask how old someone is, or their health status, family status (are you taking care of someone at home?).  These are risks for anyone doing job interviews these days.  Usually these reps don't have say in final decisions but are there to make sure the process is fair and balanced across all candidates.  You only need to look at this board to see how easily people have preconceptions on certain candidates.  Anyone that has done interviews for a few years has come across some surprisingly good candidates who weren't at the top of the initial list.  We've also had people at the top of the list go down in flames.  

Cool, but that's not what the word "Equity" which is in her title means. You're describing HR.

1 minute ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

You are right - it isn't a huge difference, maybe you just get an individual in that president role who is more of an engaged adviser while the GM handles the real work (so think of it more from a workload/how much are you going to committ type of role).  But to your point - it isn't done a ton in the NFL and certainly isn't mandatory for success.

I get that fans are upset that Ted will be involved in the process - but to me - they got rid of the 2 main people they needed to plus directly shifted the role so that the GM is the football person (he doesn't report into Ted or anyone other than the owner, in this case George).  I got what I wanted, by and large. Now they will probably get it wrong, but they did the right things today (whether they won the press conference or not).  

I agree with you that the structure isn't the problem, it's the people in it.

On every team, at some point the highest ranking football guy still reports to ownership. The real question here is who they choose for GM, and whether they let that person do his job without monkeying.

I dont trust the McCaskeys to get this right at all. Or worse, if they do make a solid hire, by being smart OR lucky, will they let them do their job?

It sounds like the Bears have indeed become “pussies”.  Slaves to the modern day definition of politically correct behaviour.  Not what I signed up for when I became a fan in the 1960’s.  I will keep an eye on developments but will be watching closely and checking out if this is so.  This team seems to be rotten at the very core 

10 minutes ago, Daventry said:

It sounds like the Bears have indeed become “pussies”.  Slaves to the modern day definition of politically correct behaviour.  Not what I signed up for when I became a fan in the 1960’s.  I will keep an eye on developments but will be watching closely and checking out if this is so.  This team seems to be rotten at the very core 

agree

2 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

I agree with you that the structure isn't the problem, it's the people in it.

On every team, at some point the highest ranking football guy still reports to ownership. The real question here is who they choose for GM, and whether they let that person do his job without monkeying.

I dont trust the McCaskeys to get this right at all. Or worse, if they do make a solid hire, by being smart OR lucky, will they let them do their job?

If we were talking about Michael McCaskey, damn straight, I would never trust the ass wipe. He constantly interfered with the GM/HC.

I honestly do not think George McCaskey interfered with Pace or Nagy.

However, I did not like the past structure: George McCaskey --> Ted Phillips --> Ryan Pace --> Matt Nagy

Now, Teddy will be concentrating on the new Arlington Property acquisition.

I see no reason we need a football guy as a go between. Now it will be George McC --> GM --> HC 

I am also thrilled Bill Polian will be advising on the hire of the GM & HC

I look forward to this off season. I'm optimistic.

18 minutes ago, Pixote said:

If we were talking about Michael McCaskey, damn straight, I would never trust the ass wipe. He constantly interfered with the GM/HC.

However, I did not like the past structure: George McCaskey --> Ted Phillips --> Ryan Pace --> Matt Nagy

I see no reason we need a football guy as a go between. Now it will be George McC --> GM --> HC 

I agree with all of this except the GM reporting to George.  George stated that he evaluates a GM based on winning.  While that's a good start, a football man would have snapped the towel on all of the trading up a long time ago.  Pace has damaged this team next year as well, placing depth issues on the new GM.  Also, George took zero ownership on the losing, Pace and Nagy.

Totally need to hire the best available at both jobs. They threw some diversity names out there for political correctness. Pollian has a good history of success and will help. George's speech kinda of sucked. Calling out Olin Kruetz was a cheap shot. Said no Ted but will go to him for advice?. A different way to say he's still here. Heard we are interviewing Morocco Brown (GM) and Leslie Frasier, both would be good choices. Flores got fired in Miami, that's my first choice for coach. Took a terrible roster and made them winners. Wanted Herbert over Tua but got overruled by orwnership. A good leader that players want to play for. I hope they make a quick decision so they can start the process right away.

1 hour ago, Pixote said:

I respect that. I respect Polian too. One thing that troubles me, and it was asked in the press conference, is what do the people interviewing these candidates know about the current trends in the NFL?  The answer that was given was that Halas was old and he knew what was up. But Im not sure football was evolving as quickly or as subtly at that time. Nagy was one iteration, maybe 2 years too late. Its always the next thing, and Nagy's thing didnt change. Will Polian know who is inventive, and who is a retread?

I said earlier that one way or another, there is a football guy somewhere in the structure who reports to ownership, so if thats the GM - McCaskey connection fine. But who's job is safe to recommend they fire the GM? Is that on McCaskey? It might have been nice to have one more guy between them. A guy you dont have to fire when the GM needs replacing.

I will hold my real feelings until I see who they hire. But if they mess this up, I will be so disgusted after all these years, i dont know what I might do. I REALLY want the Bears to be a real football team,. but i cant root for another joke for 4 more years either. At some point we need to have self respect.

I hope they sell sometime soon. But Im not gonna sit here and disrespect your optimism Pixote. Youve been thru this a long time, and earned my respect.

17 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

The reason the Bears need a true football guy connected to the rest of the league is because the McCaskeys are so clueless. George and Ted hired Phil Emery which set the franchise back a couple of years. They then hire Ernie to help them hire Pace. Pace performed better than Emery. Now They need to hire Bill Polian to help with the next search. This proves they need someone like Bill Polian only younger in the President of Football Operations role. George admitted to calling Plolian and Others assocaited with the NFL to evaluate the Bears. George cant even make the decision on whether to fire Pace and Nagy on his own. Most teams do not need this type of sturcture but most teams are owned by self made billionaires not some nice guy who is a dipshit that was given control of an NFL team by his mommy. 

1 minute ago, Chitownhustla said:

The reason the Bears need a true football guy connected to the rest of the league is because the McCaskeys are so clueless. George and Ted hired Phil Emery which set the franchise back a couple of years. They then hire Ernie to help them hire Pace. Pace performed better than Emery. Now They need to hire Bill Polian to help with the next search. This proves they need someone like Bill Polian only younger in the President of Football Operations role. George admitted to calling Plolian and Others assocaited with the NFL to evaluate the Bears. George cant even make the decision on whether to fire Pace and Nagy on his own. Most teams do not need this type of sturcture but most teams are owned by self made billionaires not some nice guy who is a dipshit that was given control of an NFL team by his mommy. 

agree. the key is a president of football operations who even has an idea if the gm is doing a good job.