Ryan Poles next GM

adam

29 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Since we are going KC connection route,  watch them hire Beinemy and he makes Nagy the OC.  How would that taste?

Actually I heard QB coach Mike Kafka is an up and comer. He could be a OC target. 

I kind of hope Pole goes his own route.  We did the Saints route and then the Chiefs.  We need to create our own route.  He did give the Ole Lovie quite of hit the road running...or get off the bus.

Kafka is a legit good hire. I don't know if I love him as the OC - unless we are hiring an offensive minded coach cause he's still pretty green, but in general I like the idea of Kafka on a coaching staff. I also am very high on Pep Hamilton working with Justin Fields too (he's worked with Herbert, Luck, did wonders with Davis Mills in Houston this year...the list goes on and on).  

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Kafka is a legit good hire. I don't know if I love him as the OC - unless we are hiring an offensive minded coach cause he's still pretty green, but in general I like the idea of Kafka on a coaching staff. I also am very high on Pep Hamilton working with Justin Fields too (he's worked with Herbert, Luck, did wonders with Davis Mills in Houston this year...the list goes on and on).  

THE Pep Hamilton, who started out with Kyle Orton, Rex Grossman, and then Jay Cutler, coming back for a return engagement?  

38 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

THE Pep Hamilton, who started out with Kyle Orton, Rex Grossman, and then Jay Cutler, coming back for a return engagement?  

That’s the one - you could say he may have got most out of Kyle and Rex too. If I remember right Cutler didn’t gel with Pep - think they brought in his guy from the broncos (Bates) as a replacement. But jay really wanted what he had with Broncos when he came to Bears.

6 hours ago, AZ54 said:

He's calling Andy Reid's plays within Andy Reid's game plan.  Yet how much of KCs offense is simply the elite talent in Hill, Kelce, and Mahomes?  Just watching the Buffalo game so many of the big plays get done off-script.  To be fair there was some of that with Buffalo but who is Allen throwing to?  I just watched the game and can't even remember any WR or TE beyond Beasley.  I know him more from his days as a Cowboy.   I agree that Poles will know, or should know, ( I sure hope he knows) how much of the success is attributable to Bienemy and how much is from elite playmakers doing their thing in the school yard.  

Gabriel Davis just made playoff history with 4 touchdown catches.

While reading up on the new GM found some encouraging news for those of you O-lineman fans and the need for more ‘better’ ones.  From the below article:  

“Back to the Chiefs rebuilding their offensive line after it failed them in the Super Bowl in 2020. They drafted new center Creed Humphrey, signed offensive guard Joe Thuney and traded for left tackle Orlando Brown. The revamped offensive line finished in the top 10 of Pro Football Focus (PFF) rankings and were in the top five for sacks allowed (28), meanwhile, the Bears gave up the most sacks (58) on the year.

It should be noted that many have given Ryan Poles credit for finding Trey Smith and Creed Humphrey in the 2021 NFL Draft.”

Poles himself a former o-lineman will probably focus on that first thing if he agrees it needs to be enhanced.  

https://beargoggleson.com/2022/01/25/chicago-bears-hire-ryan-poles-gm/amp/3/

22 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

While reading up on the new GM found some encouraging news for those of you O-lineman fans and the need for more ‘better’ ones.  From the below article:  

“Back to the Chiefs rebuilding their offensive line after it failed them in the Super Bowl in 2020. They drafted new center Creed Humphrey, signed offensive guard Joe Thuney and traded for left tackle Orlando Brown. The revamped offensive line finished in the top 10 of Pro Football Focus (PFF) rankings and were in the top five for sacks allowed (28), meanwhile, the Bears gave up the most sacks (58) on the year.

It should be noted that many have given Ryan Poles credit for finding Trey Smith and Creed Humphrey in the 2021 NFL Draft.”

Poles himself a former o-lineman will probably focus on that first thing if he agrees it needs to be enhanced.  

https://beargoggleson.com/2022/01/25/chicago-bears-hire-ryan-poles-gm/amp/3/

He is a guy that builds from the trenches. The 2020 O-Line got decimated by injuries.

In 2021, according to Football Outsiders, the KC O-Line was 5th in Power Success and 4th in Pass Pro. The Bears were 24th and 32nd respectively. So if Poles can build an O-Line half as good as KC's was this year, it will be twice as good as the Bears O-Line last year. 

Not only would a better O-Line help Fields, but Monty and Herbert could even be better than they already are. 

1 hour ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I already know - it is a deep free agent class of lineman - some very good tackles and centers out there and I fully expect the Bears will sign one of them (maybe not two - but who knows, maybe they do go 2 - but I guarantee they make a free agent swing at upgrading the line.  

For what it’s worth I wouldn’t mind Peters sticking around for another year, on a reasonable contact of course.  

I trust Poles to get the O-Line fixed. He was part of KC revamping their entire O-Line in one offseason without killing the cap. 

For me, it will be interesting to see what he does with the pending FAs and some of the guys who seem like no brainer cuts (Goldman, etc). 

1 hour ago, adam said:

I trust Poles to get the O-Line fixed. He was part of KC revamping their entire O-Line in one offseason without killing the cap. 

For me, it will be interesting to see what he does with the pending FAs and some of the guys who seem like no brainer cuts (Goldman, etc). 

Between the potential changes in scheme and new GM evaluations Goldman is definitely on the bubble.  $5mil dead money but $6.6mil in cap savings

On 1/27/2022 at 9:10 PM, Stinger226 said:

He is still NY, don't let moving fool you. We need to remember K C has been missing some 1st round picks lately to. So he is use to that disadvantage. KC has only had one 1st rounder in last four years.

Also, Poles is coming from KC who is now in their 7th straight playoff appearance, 4th straight AFC Championship game and with a win would be in their 3rd straight Super Bowl. I want personnel from that front office, they are clearly doing something right. I hope Poles brings in others from that staff.

5 hours ago, AZ54 said:

This is stellar. I like Poles hire more and more. This is a new position and really should strengthen the overall front office. I love that Poles wants another voice to challenge and help and he is also a former linemen and evidently an excellent scout. I get the feeling the days of having bad oline are almost gone!!! 

I am hoping Champ Kelly sticks around still too - cause he is highly thought of. Will be good to have a variety of diverse views and hopefully a new tone where the new leader looks for his football people to be vocal and have challenging conversations. Sounds like Paces biggest weakness was his dislike of disagreement but healthy disagreement is so huge at really making the best decisions. 

It's nice to be on the other side for once:

https://walterfootball.com/nflhotpress/article/Senior-Bowl-2022-Rumors-Wednesday

"There is a lot of praise around the league for the new hires by different teams. Scouts have spoken well of the new Bears general manager Ryan Poles and feel the Giants made good moves with their new general manager and head coach. The Raiders, on the other hand, have received a lot of criticism from scouts with other teams. "