GM and HC Press Conference

AZ54

I just watched the entire press conference and figure it's worth a new thread. 

Poles:  For such a young man he carries himself well but he's definitely aware of how big this moment is.  Whereas Eberflus is more like ... yep I've been working on this for a long time.  I was surprised Poles called Matt Nagy and asked him his thoughts on the Bears and also what Nagy would have done differently.  Not sure what to make of that but at a minimum it takes class and some earned respect from Nagy, to do that.  I had to take a moment to collect my thoughts after he said he likes his football players fast and violent can't wait to see how that translates into our new safeties.  While athleticism was emphasized I get the feeling being a football player first and foremost is the foundation for his scouting philosophy.   He is much more build through the draft vs. FA.  He'll use FA of course but didn't even hint at being a balance of the two, and when he does the evaluation has to match valuation. He doesn't sound like the type of GM to go all-in on a Superbowl season like the Rams preferring instead to build a roster capable of long term success.  In other words, he'd rather throw more darts at winning it all.   

I believe he was looking directly at Jason when he said this (paraphrasing but not much):  Getting explosive plays on offense starts with having a strong effective Oline.  

Eberflus:  Impressed by how he is more focused on the process of finding the right staff versus just getting things moving forward.  In short, even if it takes a bit longer as long as he hires the right people he'll get the right results.  There is always pressure to get everyone on board right away and as they said get after the Senior Bowl and other scouting.  He's staying with the process. 

He will not be acting DC and said being HC is too important for him to worry about calling plays.  That was refreshing to hear.  He too wants speed and hustle to the ball on the defense, so, as expected, we're heading back to the Lovie 2/Marinelli philosophy of hustle to the ball at all times.  I'm good with that.  Practices focus on techniques to get turnovers.  He too wants violent players but he's extremely focused on having no penalties.  What I get from him and Poles is they want players who like to be physical and aren't afraid of contact.  He's got to love Roquan Smith and David Montgomery....these are his type of players and I'm good with that.  I doubt he'll get past 30s of film on  Eddie Jackson.   

We're definitely transitioning to 4-3 base and it starts now...no hesitation.   

Really like the fact he'll be actively involved in designing the offensive scheme and game planning.   He'll be bringing his perspective on the other team's defense, what they want to do, how they hide it, what their tells are, and how we can best attack it.  I think this perspective is going to help Justin Fields tremendously.   It should also help Getsy on game day as he sees how things evolve on the field but since he is new to play calling I expect it will take him some time to build base knowledge.  For the first time in years I think we'll have a coaching staff that can and will make adjustments at half time.  

It was just a press conference so everything I say is a baseless overreaction - but as I just finished I echo what you said az.

As a whole I was thoroughly impressed. On poles - while the moment was a little bit for him and you could see he had nerves…once you hear him talk football, his vision, how he wants to modernize the org and instill a culture of curiosity where his people will challenge the status quo and push him and the org forward is nice. I also love fact that he was pretty clear - you want a good offense - you need a line and playmakers. It seems obvious but Bears have really never got that right (and probably part of why they have never really got QB right). 

One bit that came across to me was the evaluation and valuation. Felt like a Belicheck quote but kind of went in to me that he is going to maximize value - that might mean moving guys early etc but he gets that you need talent but also at right valuation. Also hinted in later media circuit a focus on building through draft and hinted at org finding ways to increase its stockpile of picks (great sign and maybe indicator that he plans to make some big trades…ie mack or Quinn). 

In general just like fact we got someone who is hungry and ready to challenge himself and surround himself with great people. 

On Flus - love him. Dude just seems like someone ready for this moment. Loved his answers for how he could help Fields and love the approach he is taking to be the HC. I also liked how pragmatic he will be around setting the tone and expectations around no penalties, hustle, little things etc. While not an offensive mind - I see why they hired him when he talked about his vision for the offense and how he can help and what he found important. 

I think he has some John Harbaugh / Tomlin in him for that CEO role. 

Note: Ted Phillips name was not mentioned nor was he there today. Huge item which I really haven’t seen mentioned anywhere (unless I missed it and he was there).

9 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

It was just a press conference so everything I say is a baseless overreaction - but as I just finished I echo what you said az.

As a whole I was thoroughly impressed. On poles - while the moment was a little bit for him and you could see he had nerves…once you hear him talk football, his vision, how he wants to modernize the org and instill a culture of curiosity where his people will challenge the status quo and push him and the org forward is nice. I also love fact that he was pretty clear - you want a good offense - you need a line and playmakers. It seems obvious but Bears have really never got that right (and probably part of why they have never really got QB right). 

One bit that came across to me was the evaluation and valuation. Felt like a Belicheck quote but kind of went in to me that he is going to maximize value - that might mean moving guys early etc but he gets that you need talent but also at right valuation. Also hinted in later media circuit a focus on building through draft and hinted at org finding ways to increase its stockpile of picks (great sign and maybe indicator that he plans to make some big trades…ie mack or Quinn). 

In general just like fact we got someone who is hungry and ready to challenge himself and surround himself with great people. 

On Flus - love him. Dude just seems like someone ready for this moment. Loved his answers for how he could help Fields and love the approach he is taking to be the HC. I also liked how pragmatic he will be around setting the tone and expectations around no penalties, hustle, little things etc. While not an offensive mind - I see why they hired him when he talked about his vision for the offense and how he can help and what he found important. 

I think he has some John Harbaugh / Tomlin in him for that CEO role. 

Note: Ted Phillips name was not mentioned nor was he there today. Huge item which I really haven’t seen mentioned anywhere (unless I missed it and he was there).

Good summary. 

I saw pictures from the press conference and Ted was definitely there sitting next to George. I have no issues with that as he is still part of the organization. I'm glad they did not include him in the actual press conference. As George said, this is his show now. He needs to own it. 

Peace

19 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Poles:  For such a young man he carries himself well but he's definitely aware of how big this moment is.  Whereas Eberflus is more like ... yep I've been working on this for a long time.  I was surprised Poles called Matt Nagy and asked him his thoughts on the Bears and also what Nagy would have done differently.  Not sure what to make of that but at a minimum it takes class and some earned respect from Nagy, to do that.  I had to take a moment to collect my thoughts after he said he likes his football players fast and violent can't wait to see how that translates into our new safeties.  While athleticism was emphasized I get the feeling being a football player first and foremost is the foundation for his scouting philosophy.   He is much more build through the draft vs. FA.  He'll use FA of course but didn't even hint at being a balance of the two, and when he does the evaluation has to match valuation. He doesn't sound like the type of GM to go all-in on a Superbowl season like the Rams preferring instead to build a roster capable of long term success.  In other words, he'd rather throw more darts at winning it all.   

I believe he was looking directly at Jason when he said this (paraphrasing but not much):  Getting explosive plays on offense starts with having a strong effective Oline.  

Eberflus:  Impressed by how he is more focused on the process of finding the right staff versus just getting things moving forward.  In short, even if it takes a bit longer as long as he hires the right people he'll get the right results.  There is always pressure to get everyone on board right away and as they said get after the Senior Bowl and other scouting.  He's staying with the process. 

He will not be acting DC and said being HC is too important for him to worry about calling plays.  That was refreshing to hear.  He too wants speed and hustle to the ball on the defense, so, as expected, we're heading back to the Lovie 2/Marinelli philosophy of hustle to the ball at all times.  I'm good with that.  Practices focus on techniques to get turnovers.  He too wants violent players but he's extremely focused on having no penalties.  What I get from him and Poles is they want players who like to be physical and aren't afraid of contact.  He's got to love Roquan Smith and David Montgomery....these are his type of players and I'm good with that.  I doubt he'll get past 30s of film on  Eddie Jackson.   

Really like the fact he'll be actively involved in designing the offensive scheme and game planning.   He'll be bringing his perspective on the other team's defense, what they want to do, how they hide it, what their tells are, and how we can best attack it.  I think this perspective is going to help Justin Fields tremendously.   It should also help Getsy on game day as he sees how things evolve on the field but since he is new to play calling I expect it will take him some time to build base knowledge.  For the first time in years I think we'll have a coaching staff that can and will make adjustments at half time.  

This feels much different than Pace and Nagy. Since Pace arrived, he never really said anything. He said a lot words, but they didn't really mean anything. Then he hired Nagy, who was Mr. Word Salad. These guys actually provided some details on how they are going to run things, compared to just saying we want to win.

I liked how Poles answered the question about analytics. O-Line is going to be a huge focus, I can't wait to see what he does with the line.

Eberflus saying that HC was too important to call plays is literally the polar opposite of Nagy, who probably would say he could run the defense and Special Teams too. It seem like Roquan and Monty are the model players for Eberflus, I almost expect Monty to be extended because of the hire. I would not be surprised if Jackson is cut or traded, along with Goldman. Jackson has become a diva and Goldman would have a stack of loafs in his locker after every game. If Poles/Eberflus want to change the culture, those two are gone.

How about Fields at the presser? I thought that was cool and that Fields made the comment about how a Defensive HC can help him by telling him what the defense is trying to do to him pre and post-snap. That insight is huge for his development. It's like playing chess from both sides of the board. 

12 hours ago, Connorbear said:

Good summary. 

I saw pictures from the press conference and Ted was definitely there sitting next to George. I have no issues with that as he is still part of the organization. I'm glad they did not include him in the actual press conference. As George said, this is his show now. He needs to own it. 

Peace

Good point - he was there - but was not at all part of the press conference (nor was he referenced). It really seems like at some point - George decided this was his hire and went out and got his guy (Poles).  I thought the below was kind of a good synopsis of maybe Geroge's eventual transformation (or at the very least - some color on the process that seemed unique relative to what I've seen in the more mainstream media).

https://dabearsblog.com/2022/the-george-mccas

23 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Being optimistic is always my path, so I will look for the positive vibe and ignore the criticism for a couple of years.I always like brass that value the oline.

1 hour ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Good point - he was there - but was not at all part of the press conference (nor was he referenced). It really seems like at some point - George decided this was his hire and went out and got his guy (Poles).  I thought the below was kind of a good synopsis of maybe Geroge's eventual transformation (or at the very least - some color on the process that seemed unique relative to what I've seen in the more mainstream media).

https://dabearsblog.com/2022/the-george-mccas

That's a very interesting read.