Biggest Surprise on Offense in 2022

adam

I just watched the video with Braxton. I'm very impressed. A well spoken young man who seems to have a great attitude. I don't know if it will be week one or week 6 or week ??? but I honestly believe he will be our starting LOT at some point in the near future.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like Jones but by his own admission he has a lot of work to do including figuring out how to get snap counts down.  I'm glad for now that Jones appears to have at least settled into the backup OT role and it's obvious Borom will be our swing OT.  For a 5th Rd pick that's a win... or back2back wins if you count Borom in there.   

For his part Jenkins wasn't moved from RT but we'll see if he's the backup RT or not.  We have to wait for the pads to come on because Jenkins game is all about timing with his hands and then once he's got you, taking you where ever he wants to go.   He may have had some other issues like conditioning with the faster cadence they want on offense.  I'm not giving up on him. 

Who thought we'd have a reasonable debate about who our top 2 OTs are?   All prognostications were about which FA we should be bringing in to cover the glaring need.  Regardless of where Jones lands, I get the sense they are ok with the top 3 OTs or we'd have seen more shuffling toward the interior.   They wanted to see how fast Jones can learn under the pressure of working with the 1's.  We don't have that assessment but we do have 2 straight days of Fields and the offense playing well to close out OTAs.   They still had pass rushers coming after them in those drills and I haven't seen any reports that Fields was routinely moved off his spot due to pressure.  Admittedly our Dline isn't a finished product but you have to start somewhere.  

Lastly, if the team is intent on accelerating Jones' education at LT, and by default possibly moving Borom/Jenkins inside to RG, then parking Robert Quinn in front of him with pads on is the perfect training opportunity.   Jones is struggling with snap count issues and getting off the line a bit late, and Quinn is really talented at that not to mention his other pass rushing skills.  Helping to get the true top 5 Oline on the field has to factor into the trade value and if I were the coach I'd be very hesitant to move on from that.  That value carries forward into next offseason in a big way too because if Poles knows he's set at OT the focus goes elsewhere.        

8 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Who thought we'd have a reasonable debate about who our top 2 OTs are?   All prognostications were about which FA we should be bringing in to cover the glaring need.

I can talk reasonably about it and unequivocally state that it will not be good.  The growing pains of a new OL gelling into a new system will take all season.  All signs are pointing to next season. I'm good with that as long as Fields and the OL progress.

The moving OTs around is trying to get insight into their potential to start. Before training camp starts they may bring in Fisher or Brown to man the LT spot. They are still available. They have a month to evaluate what they have. I think Jenkins to the second unit could just be they know what they have and wanted to see what the other OTs looked like with the first team. I think if they don't think the OTs are up to it, they will bring someone in. Also I can see them bringing in a vet OL to take Doziers place. Daryl Williams is idea because he could also play RT. There are still options out there.

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

The moving OTs around is trying to get insight into their potential to start. Before training camp starts they may bring in Fisher or Brown to man the LT spot. They are still available. They have a month to evaluate what they have. I think Jenkins to the second unit could just be they know what they have and wanted to see what the other OTs looked like with the first team. I think if they don't think the OTs are up to it, they will bring someone in. Also I can see them bringing in a vet OL to take Doziers place. Daryl Williams is idea because he could also play RT. There are still options out there.

Dozier just got placed on IR.  

10 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I can talk reasonably about it and unequivocally state that it will not be good.  The growing pains of a new OL gelling into a new system will take all season.  All signs are pointing to next season. I'm good with that as long as Fields and the OL progress.

Week 1 against the 49ers is a great way to start.  They know the offense inside and out and the defense sees it everyday in camp.  Plus they have a really good Dline.  Will this look like the Cleveland game last year?  

2 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Week 1 against the 49ers is a great way to start.  They know the offense inside and out and the defense sees it everyday in camp.  Plus they have a really good Dline.  Will this look like the Cleveland game last year?  

I hope not.  They are assembling young talent, which I love.  But, the unknown is what will kill your QB.  Nagy put Simmons and Hambright out there, everyone on the outside knew they were terrible.  I keep hearing comments on here about, "they know what they have him Jenkins" and I want to gouge my eyes out.  We know nothing about him and if he doesn't ascend, that's another weak link that hasn't been accounted for.  Something's amiss...

42 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

I hope not.  They are assembling young talent, which I love.  But, the unknown is what will kill your QB.  Nagy put Simmons and Hambright out there, everyone on the outside knew they were terrible.  I keep hearing comments on here about, "they know what they have him Jenkins" and I want to gouge my eyes out.  We know nothing about him and if he doesn't ascend, that's another weak link that hasn't been accounted for.  Something's amiss...

a-men

9 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

That may be the case, we dont have any idea what value the Bears put on their oline until they put on pads. Its a little premature to assume Jenkins is a bust because he was put on the second team. At this point the only thing that matters is that he is healthy and go from there. One month from now we will be complaining or praising what they did. As you said we dont know. 

The more I have read thru the OTA and mini camp reports from various beat writers, one trend I noticed was a lot of them talking about the same rookies. In almost every recent update, I have seen very positive things written about Braxton Jones, Brisker, Velus Jones, Ebner. Another sleeper is Elijah Hicks who would play in some of the hybrid schemes. He was a 7th rounder, but should've been a 4th or 5th rounder. 

7 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

That may be the case, we dont have any idea what value the Bears put on their oline until they put on pads. Its a little premature to assume Jenkins is a bust because he was put on the second team. At this point the only thing that matters is that he is healthy and go from there. One month from now we will be complaining or praising what they did. As you said we dont know. 

agree, and thats his point too - until they are in pads, no one has any idea. we all agree.

On 6/21/2022 at 5:05 PM, Mongo3451 said:

Truth be told, we know nothing about any of the OL at this point and how they will fit together.  Seems like they are depending on a lot of young players and coaching up.  The phrase I have come to loath.  "Coach them up."   I've waited for that for decades.  When do we get coaches who seem to do that, above just getting them on the field.  If they are always changing the lineup it seems like they have no idea at this time what they have.

1 hour ago, Bill said:

Truth be told, we know nothing about any of the OL at this point and how they will fit together.  Seems like they are depending on a lot of young players and coaching up.  The phrase I have come to loath.  "Coach them up."   I've waited for that for decades.  When do we get coaches who seem to do that, above just getting them on the field.  If they are always changing the lineup it seems like they have no idea at this time what they have.

If you're going to look at different players now is the best time to do it.  It will inform them where to start and mix up what works best. If things follow as patterned, Sam Mustifer may be the surprise offensive player by starting. If that happens, I think it will be at OC not at OG. He played well for 6 games in 2020. Was bad last year after gaining 30 lbs. Maybe losing 10 lbs will put him in a better spot to play better.

2 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

If you're going to look at different players now is the best time to do it.  It will inform them where to start and mix up what works best. If things follow as patterned, Sam Mustifer may be the surprise offensive player by starting. If that happens, I think it will be at OC not at OG. He played well for 6 games in 2020. Was bad last year after gaining 30 lbs. Maybe losing 10 lbs will put him in a better spot to play better.

agree with all of this