Roquan Smith requests trade

GakMan23

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I won't be surprised if he signs a new deal soon.  He needs to save face after all he's done to bad mouth the organization.  He cannot make it appear like he bent to their demands.  I keep thinking how all the former Bears players must have been laughing at him when he appealed to Bears ownership for more money.  You have to know your history. 

Now after demanding a trade and making a fool of himself with Saint Omni making calls around the league on his behalf he announces he's playing on his previous contract.  Take a break from "active" negotiations and then announce in a few weeks, perhaps right before the season starts, that the Bears came back with a better offer.  Nobody has to know the truth but I don't think Poles is going to move very much from his current offer.  If anything this circus act might make him more leary of committing to Roquan long term.  The organization has gone out of their way to protect Roquan from himself.  No fines, they let him travel and hang out on the sideline with his teammates.  No leaks on the offer to make Roquan look bad.  The team wasn't even the source of the Saint Omni rumors, that came from the league itself in a memo.      

Roquan was asking for the top deal, so Poles didn't have to think too hard. It's not like if he has to get in a bidding war after next year (if he wants to keep him) that he will kick himself for not having taken a cheaper deal now. Thats the problem with asking for the top deal, the is no leverage to get it done early.

Just now, AZ54 said:

I won't be surprised if he signs a new deal soon.  He needs to save face after all he's done to bad mouth the organization.  He cannot make it appear like he bent to their demands.  I keep thinking how all the former Bears players must have been laughing at him when he appealed to Bears ownership for more money.  You have to know your history. 

Now after demanding a trade and making a fool of himself with Saint Omni making calls around the league on his behalf he announces he's playing on his previous contract.  Take a break from "active" negotiations and then announce in a few weeks, perhaps right before the season starts, that the Bears came back with a better offer.  Nobody has to know the truth but I don't think Poles is going to move very much from his current offer.  If anything this circus act might make him more leary of committing to Roquan long term.  The organization has gone out of their way to protect Roquan from himself.  No fines, they let him travel and hang out on the sideline with his teammates.  No leaks on the offer to make Roquan look bad.  The team wasn't even the source of the Saint Omni rumors, that came from the league itself in a memo.      

Sure, but I dont think Roquan will take a lesser deal, I dont think he is feeling pressure about saving face. He's thinking he will ball out and then get a huge deal next year. But Poles wont pay more then than Roquan wanted now. Poles won.

3 hours ago, adam said:

I think they came to an agreement of "show me what you can do in this defense". If he balls out, he will get paid top money, if he doesn't then he won't. Simple as that.

they dont need to have. If he balls out, someone will pay him next year. no need for an agreement.