Week 2 Official Game Thread - CHI @ GB, 09/18, 7:20PM CDT, GB -10 O/U 43

adam

Everything I wrote about talent was stated pre-season.  The whole point of it is: "if you want to be the king, you have to beat the king".  That being said, you have to attack him with overwhelming force, so that all his defenses cannot stop you: i.e. moat, dragon, refs.

Our main priority for next year, is to get 2 wide receivers better than Mooney and 2 interior DL.  I love that will have money and picks to do whatever we want.  I'm still excited about our future.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only stat that GB beat the Bears in was Receiving yards and TDs.  GB had 203 total rushing yards to the Bears 180. When you consider they have two starting caliber RBs and our team right now has one, that 23 yards difference really isn't that huge.  Montgomery had 122 yards (8.1 avg) to Jones 132 yds (8.8 avg). Jones also had one TD to Montgomery's zero.  If you compare the "second RBs" it was Herbert's 38 yds (9.5 avg) to Dillon's 61 yds (3.4 avg).  To me the fact the Bears didn't run more is what hurt them in the end.  This was something we all harped on last year especially when we saw Nagy abandon it way too often and force the pass.  As we saw in the SF game, you have to have the run game work in order for the pass game to become a factor. If you don't you become one-dimensional.

As far as the difference between TDs and Receiving yards, that's basically comparing Rodgers to Fields.  For what its worth, they were both sacked the same amount of times (3) but Aaron has more experience in reading defenses and knowing where his receivers will be and how to exploit coverage weaknesses (aka rookie CBs) versus Fields' relative inexperience.  Something to remember, Rodgers was not considered the starting QB for GB until 2008, three years after he was drafted in 2005.  (How old was Fields in 2008?)  Fields and the "baby Bears" (as Tirico kept referring to them last night - I don't like it by the way) have a lot of growing to do. The next few weeks play to their favor as far as schedules go.  And like Stinger said, I'd rather compare the last half the season to the first half to see the growth the team makes.

not stopping the run is what killed any chance the bears had of winning this game. nearly every single run play netted 5 - 10 yards. this opens up a do whatever you want to in their passing game and they did. this has to be fixed next offseason without any reservations.

also, not a single first down after the opening drive until the 3rd quarter. your defense which has many issues and didn't help themselves at all was gassed.

many people don't see a problem with running the shotgun on inches and goal. i do. this was a silly call that put the final nail in the coffin. if your interior line can't move ahead 6 inches at the snap (qb sneak) it means you have no confidence in them at all. if no qb sneak how bout lining up over center and a power run to either monty or your full back?

As far as the goal line call, he may have been in but if was not good vision to say it one way or the other. I think they opened in the shotgun to throw off the fact everyone at the stadium knew they were going to run. And did run. If it worked, no one says anything. Should they have given it to Monty, (yes) should they have rolled out with the FB sliding into the end zone and had an option. Everything is questioned if the play doesnt work. 

I would just have QB sneaked it over Jenkins.

Given the nature of the rebuild I still see a lot of positives after the first 2 games.  Most notably the running game, which most agree is the key to getting our passing game moving, is starting to take off.  I'm not as down on the rookies Brisker and Gordon since this was their first NFL road game and against an elite QB.  At any point in the offseason if someone asked me if I'd be happy to be 1-1 after playing SF and GB I'd have said yes.  I'm still going to keep to that.  

There are still glaring gaps on this roster (DT) but I haven't seen anything so far to make me think this team can't win the 6-7 games most forecasted.  The schedule evens out going forward and we have Lovie Smith returning to town.   Let's see how the youngsters respond their first loss of the season.    

47 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Given the nature of the rebuild.

There are still glaring gaps on this roster (DT) but I haven't seen anything so far to make me think this team can't win the 6-7 games most forecasted.  The schedule evens out going forward and we have Lovie Smith returning to town.   Let's see how the youngsters respond their first loss of the season.    

I paraphrased your opening line because I liked it. As far as the rest, I stand on 6 wins.  Right now, the DL is fresh, yet getting gouged.  What happens when the nicks and dings of the season carry on and our lack of depth rears its ugly head? 

On the positive side of this season, we will see who progresses.  The one that we need to see it the most from is Fields.  If that doesn't happen, nothing else matters in comparison.

My deflated game balls:

1. Smith - $20M Will LB? Holy hell he was bad. He looked slow and fat, and seemed to be missing his gap assignment.
2. Gordon - Rookie CB got smoked all game. I thought this system made them not have to think and just play fast? He was behind every receiver he covered and let up a reception every time it was thrown his way except his one PBU.
3. Fields+All Receivers+OC - That was one of the worst passing games I have seen. Terrible play calls, rarely open, Fields not hitting them when open. 
4. Mustipher - Got hip tossed on one play, quick snap resulted in fumble. We really need Patrick at Center.
5. KRs - STOP taking it out if you can't make it past the 25! Field position is huge and every yard counts. Ebner had only 1 return longer than 25, and him and Smith-Marsette had 4 KRs less than 25 yds.

9 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

After tonight, the Bears are in a three way tie for the division lead. 

Yeah Vikings go from saints to sinners in one week.  To think we put up 17pts against GB (of course I'm counting that last TD) and the Vikings just mustered 7pts against the Eagles.  

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

Yeah Vikings go from saints to sinners in one week.  To think we put up 17pts against GB (of course I'm counting that last TD) and the Vikings just mustered 7pts against the Eagles.  

Had to edit my last post…forgot Detroit won a game too. 

Just goes to show ‘any given Sunday(Monday/Thursday)’.  

I've only had time to re-watch the first half.  Things weren't as bad as they seemed.  

Offense:  Fields had some good throws and reads in the first half.  Kmet dropped one easy pass.  On quick out to Mooney Kmet completely misses the block on Rasul Douglas mostly because he got too close to him, keep some space and force him to show his hand first.  Fields made the right read because he had Mooney out there with just 2 defenders and 2 blockers.  If Kmet blocks Douglas at all Mooney gains at least 5 and maybe closer to 10yds.  

In the same series Borum and Patrick got crossed on blocking the DE and he blew up the running play.  Otherwise we get a good gain everything else was blocked.  Patrick got completely blown up on one pass pro block leading to a negative play.  

One the first sack where the DE came all the way around and hit him as he escaped the pocket, Fields was correct not to pull the trigger.  He felt the other DE's hand coming over the top and that might have been a fumble so he pulled the ball down and then tried to escape.  

RBs were good in first half.  ESB played well too, although I wasn't focused on any WRs for separation as most of the action was around the LOS.  I'm curious if we swap Kmet for Harry in the slot on some of these plays in a couple weeks.  He should block better in space.   

Jenkins should not be taken out of the game for Patrick.  At this point if Patrick isn't ready to play C he needs to sit next week.  Jenkins hasn't been perfect but he's earned it IMO.   I didn't really notice Braxton Jones even in slo-mo he just seems to do his job quietly on every play. 

The DTs overall were better than I expected.  Not great by any means and there were some bad plays to be had.  I've no use for Pennell, he's just a space eater but he keeps the others fresh.  Blackson had quite a few good plays this week after looking like he was gassed last week, even drew a few holds some of which weren't called.  Watts didn't do much.  

DEs didn't have a good game at all in run defense except Gipson.  He seemed asleep last week and it was as if he and Robinson switched personalities this week.  

LBs were horrible.  They offered no support to the Dline.  Roquan in particular just sat back on every play and let the olineman run up to him and then got pushed around the field.  He usually jumped on the pile late.  If he had a tackle in the first half I never saw it.  He's nowhere close to the guy who was all over the LOS last year.  Morrow is what we expected him to be...better in coverage than around the LOS but he at least put more effort into getting around the LOS and trying to fill a gap than Roquan did.  He wasn't very effective.   Adams showed why he's been a career backup.  I'd like to see what Sanborn can do in those limited snaps because I know he'll fight to get to the ball. 

DBs:  Gordon had a tough game but he had some good plays and he always hustled to get in on the play.  He just has to breakdown a bit when closing on the tackle and of course get in sync quicker with the WRs.  One of these days Brisker is going to turn into a stud.  I can't tell you how many times he ran right past Roquan to get in on the play.  He over-ran some plays too but like Gordon he's at least making errors with effort. 

----        

Once they saw what we were doing, or could not do, for the most part GB just worked the edges in the run game.  If it was Gordon (nickle) they ran outside but even when we had 3 LBs in the game they were too easy to block and seal off.   

My overall sense is that the D needs to clean up the gap control.  We saw this in the early days of Lovie's D where it all looked horrible until one day they got their gaps right.   Those LBs (Urlacher and Briggs) had a better mentality to get ahead of the play.  If Roquan keeps sitting on his heels it'll never happen.  Neither will that $20mil/yr he wants.  

Offense is similar where one guy would have the breakdown, sometimes 2.  They need to fine-tune the details.      

I'll try to scan the 2nd half tomorrow night but for now I don't think the sky is falling, just Roquan is.  

I think the noise factor came into play on some plays. Not everyone on same page . We are not good yet. This week will be telling as how we react to a loss. I think its a process and with all the young players it will just take time but for players to buy in we need to keep getting better. We have a chance to still go 3-1 to start and will have to see how that plays out. By the 5th week we will know how good we could be. 

12 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I think the noise factor came into play on some plays. Not everyone on same page . We are not good yet. This week will be telling as how we react to a loss. I think its a process and with all the young players it will just take time but for players to buy in we need to keep getting better. We have a chance to still go 3-1 to start and will have to see how that plays out. By the 5th week we will know how good we could be. 

Maybe.  One thing that I noticed too was that on almost every play Roquan and Morrow seemed to be communicating about where to line up.  Typically Morrow got aligned right away and Roquan would be moving around talking with him.  I'm not talking about adjustments to motion either, of course that happened too right before the snap.   I can't say who is at fault or what is going on but I don't see anywhere near as much of that among any other positions.  

Roquan doesn't have space eaters like Hicks, Tonga, or Goldman in front of him anymore.  He can't just sit back and wait to see a play develop and still have the same amount of freedom to get where he wants to be.  His skill set certainly fits the WLB role but he needs to adapt more quickly to this new scheme.  

Looking at the 2nd half, at least up to the point they disallowed Fields TD and things were a bit different.  First off the LBs were moving toward the LOS much quicker, including Roquan.  That affected some plays and kept the Packers runs down to smaller gains.  A clear win for the coaching IMO but they can do better.  On the 2nd GB run of the half Morrow and Roquan were in their gaps and Morrow was tackled from behind by one of their Oline.  That allowed the 5yd gain for a 1st down.  Gordon played a bit better but missed what could have been an easy TFL.  When they get experience you will start seeing negative plays from both Gordon and Brisker.  

Fields had a nice pass on our 2nd possession where he hit the back of his drop and immediately rifled off a nice 20yd gain to a TE for a 1st down.  I didn't like his pass deep to Mooney as it should have led him toward center field or left hash marks away from the defender.  Having watched him again I actually feel better about what he's doing in the pocket than I did right after the game.   

Montgomery was a total stud running out of tackles but the blocking was good too.  Not only that, the linemen are following Montgomery all the way down the field even on his 25yd run ... I think there were 4 Oline there at the end to help push the pile.   

At some point people are going to realize Braxton Jones is actually good.  He didn't have a perfect game (who does?) but I think total I've only seen a few bad plays and none were glaring assignment misses or where he flat out got beat early in the rep.  On his "bad" plays he's just not quite able to anchor but much more often than not he's moving people around, or holding his ground in pass pro.  On one bad play he got pushed backward off his run block and into Monty leading to a gain of just 3yd but to be fair he's already got his man back off the LOS.  If he holds that block Monty gains 8-10yds.  

Borom is more of a concern IMO but there were still more good than bad plays with him.  He struggled with Gary on a few plays in the first and second half.  Jenkins struggled at times with Kenny Walker (as did others - looking at you Mustipher and Patrick) but typically held his block.  I still love his potential at RG.  

Our FB is really good.  These are the players nobody really gives credit to but his blocks are always on point and effective.   You can see the difference in the two games to where Monty is now feeling where the FB is going.  He trails him and then bursts left/right as Blasingame moves toward his target.  Against SF Monty seemed to wander off on his own, is this another win for the coaching?   Montgomery has never run behind a FB, it could be interesting to see where this running game goes.     

9 hours ago, AZ54 said:

When they get experience you will start seeing negative plays from both Gordon and Brisker. 

I have to believe this is part is the grand plan. With more than a 50% roster turnover and 6 (?) rookies starting the team is conditioning itself early.  Trying to get game time experience for the rooks so when they start later this year and in year two, things will look much better.  Not every rookie will come out of the gate as a superstar so expectations may be a bit high. Still, if they collectively improve before those season is over, even better for us.

And for what it’s worth I really wish they could’ve kept Graham.  As much of a fan as I was of Vildor early on, after Grahams performance last year I’d have preferred to see how he did versus Vildor this year.  

For how bad they played, they were an inch away from making it a one score game late in the 4th quarter. It just seems like if they can ever play a normal game, they are going to beat a lot of teams if they can hang with the Packers with that type of performance.