Week 2 Official Game Thread - CHI @ GB, 09/18, 7:20PM CDT, GB -10 O/U 43

adam

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Inactives and no surprises except perhaps that Elgton Jenkins might play.  I believe he's had one practice on Fri which is typically in shells.  If he starts it could be interesting.  

• Bears
  • WR Velus Jones Jr.
  • TE Jake Tonges
  • OL Michael Schofield
  • OL Ja'Tyre Carter
  • DB Elijah Hicks
  • DB Lamar Jackson
  • Packers
  • WR Samori Toure
  • OT David Bakhtiari
  • OT Caleb Jones
  • OL Sean Rhyan
  • DL Jonathan Ford
  • S Tariq Carpenter

First drive, Bears defense forces a FG after two questionable calls. First Vildor gets called for 15-yards for a chop block when he didn't touch anyone and looked to be trying to evade a block. Then Morrow breaks up a contested catch and knocks the ball out on a throw to Jones, but they rule it a catch. I guess completing the process of the catch all the way to the ground only applies to the Bears.

Blackson with a nice TFL, Gipson with a sack that ends the drive, Gordon with a PBU in the end zone. Some nice plays. Outside of those two plays, GB should've punted.

8 minutes ago, adam said:

First drive, Bears defense forces a FG after two questionable calls. First Vildor gets called for 15-yards for a chop block when he didn't touch anyone and looked to be trying to evade a block. Then Morrow breaks up a contested catch and knocks the ball out on a throw to Jones, but they rule it a catch. I guess completing the process of the catch all the way to the ground only applies to the Bears.

Blackson with a nice TFL, Gipson with a sack that ends the drive, Gordon with a PBU in the end zone. Some nice plays. Outside of those two plays, GB should've punted.

To be honest, we are lucky Bears DL Jones didn't get called for taunting on the TFL and later on offense just before the Bears TD, on the running play Monty took inside the 5, Jenkins held his man.

9 minutes ago, Pixote said:

To be honest, we are lucky Bears DL Jones didn't get called for taunting on the TFL and later on offense just before the Bears TD, on the running play Monty took inside the 5, Jenkins held his man.

They are not calling holding at all. GB held on the same play where Brisker got illegal contact downfield. No call.

Feels like last week, almost nothing going right for the team in the first half. Gordon getting burnt left and right, always a step slow. Entire defense can't stop the run, and offense can't even get anymore positive plays.

So odd to abandon what worked in the first drive. Monty has been barely used since.

Game already over at half 24-7.

2 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Wonder what the halftime is going to be like? Coach has a lot of loafs to give out

At this point, you just have to stop the bleeding so it doesn't end up 50-10. 

The defense has just completely folded. Some missed holds, but not 3 TDs worth. 

I am confused by some of the routes, Mooney has yet to get a reception past the LOS. Like how is that possible? Kmet gets first target and he drop it. 

There have been some crazy comebacks today. Bears would need to score a TD coming out of the half, then a quick stop, and another TD by the offense to make this a game. I doubt that happens. At this point, I am just hoping the defense doesn't allow more than 40. 

Bears defense is gassed, I dont know why we got away from Montgomery after the first TD drive.

Last week, we stayed with the run even when it wasnt working. The price is a tired defense, and all the gashing runs up the middle.

Now with a turnover, the Bears are down two scores, so if they can get another turnover, or score on some long drives to rest the D, that conditioning thing has a chance.

21 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

the shotgun run on 4th and goal was stupid, but abandoning Montgomery in the middle of the game was why we lost today.

Letting Jones and Dillon run all over us with little resistance to me was a big factor as well. We’re all questioning the shotgun on 4th and inches.  I think Getsy tried to be unconventional there and it bit us.  We did get screwed on the replay, but to be honest it was one of those calls where had it been ruled a TD on the field it would have stood. Still sucks.

Here’s hoping the players and coaches learn from this game. 

Gorton had a tough night. They exploited him.  He had a few good plays but a few tough ones too.  The run d was nearly non-existent.  Gipson backed up his trash talk with 2 sacks and nearly a third, but not the win.  

Both the Bears and Packers are 1-1. GB plays TB next and the Bears play Houston.  

17 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Gorton had a tough night. They exploited him.  He had a few good plays but a few tough ones too.  The run d was nearly non-existent.  Gipson backed up his trash talk with 2 sacks and nearly a third, but not the win.  

Gordon always has his eyes in the backfield and I get it when they've been gashing you on runs.  It's that hesitation that gives the WR a half step.  He's a rookie and still has a lot to learn because he's no longer the most athletic person on the field.  He's also playing the more difficult slot role so we need to be a patient while he learns the NFL game and his reads.  

This team need some DTs and some LBs to step up and make some plays around the LOS.  In the 2nd half they showed up at times but it seems almost every play our DBs were forced to tackle the RB.  

I was a bit concerned at what point this season we'd lose our discipline and it turned out to be this game.  The 49ers game gave me hope the lack of penalties would continue but maybe it shouldn't be a surprise since it's the first big road game, national tv, division rival, etc.  This coaching staff will get them back to the good side quickly.  

The way they fought back in the 2nd half gives me hope because I really thought they were going to fold.  We have to get back to the process of building on that.  

After that first drive I wasn't happy they subbed in Patrick for Jenkins.  It's ok to let a good thing continue.  On the flip side I'm still optimistic for this Oline once Patrick is at center. 

Last week everyone wanted to bench Montgomery for Herbert.  I suspect that changes this week.    

Forgot to add:  What I didn't hear all night was Braxton Jones name.  

4 hours ago, BearFan2000 said:

Letting Jones and Dillon run all over us with little resistance to me was a big factor as well.

I agree, but part of why we couldnt stop them is that our defense was gassed because our offense wasnt making any first downs, or eating any clock. And that goes back to abandoning Montgomery.

I also think it should be said that Roquan looks fat and slow right now, let's hope he plays himself into shape.

We played a better team that was motivated after a terrible loss last week. We needed to be error free to have a chance in this game and we werent. If you keep it in perspective, if we scored at the goal line its 24-17. I think we still probably would have lost but with 8 minutes left down one TD is about all we could expect with so many mistakes. I seen effort at the end of the game but as PHX stated the defense was showing fatigue. I think this coaching team will focus on what it takes to be better. If we could have been running the ball that way more consistently at the beginning it would have stated we may have had a better chance. There were penalties that showed we have a ways to go with younger players. We need to involve a passing game more, a lack of consistent drives gave us less plays to have a more rounded game. I think when we play them at home, it will give us a better chance to win, the crowd noise caused a few mistakes, its a work in progress. 

This is the best running team we will face all yr with two good RBs. We were in place to make tackles but missed to many as the plays were executed, that's what good RBs will do for you. 

Gordon looked like a rookie out there today, which he is. 

I felt good about the play of Gipson and Justin Jones, they both showed up to play but to many plays were 6 yards down the field instead of blowing up the oline at the line of scrimmage. 

We can complain about the play of Mooney and Kmet but the truth is they arent being targeted very much because of the lack of consistent drives. 

Fields has a long way to go, I am waiting for his breakout game which isnt going to happen against a good team of which the Packers are. 

I heard someone bring up Larry Ogunjobi's name this morning as far as being better against the run. In two games playing for Pit he has a total of 3 assisted tackles. Either he is not up to par because of his injury or he's not that good. Either way Poles appears to have made the right decision. Its just something we will have to address in the draft.

Our OL, DL, WR and QB are simply not good enough.

Darnell Mooney can not separate.  He got outran by a safety in the middle of the field last night and he's not physical enough to beat press coverage.

Cole Kmet spends his life as a TE chip blocking.

Justin Fields will be late for his own funeral.  If anyone watched American Underdog, the training Kurt Warner recieved to speed his processing time is exactly what Fields needs.

Now for my time to rant:  On the first offensive play of the game, how did the call a 15 yard low block penalty on our DB?  First, there was no contact at all.  Secondly, you can clearly see the OL is attempting to engage the DB. And lastly, it was clear the DB was trying to avoid the OL to get to the runner.  See the picture, he's already past the OL's front leg and his body piston is locked into making a tackle.  It's a phantom call that happens every time we play the Packers.  It's a tone setter that says you are going to get f'd regardless of your effort.  Low and behold, they screwed Fields out of a TD on that stupid shotgun run from 6".  Collinsworth saw from the booth and the folks from GMFB saw it in their studio this morning.  I didn't expect us to win last night or any other that Rodgers is playing, but damn.

20220919_104711.jpg

When we have a win we look at all the positives, when we lose , the bad juju shows. The young OTs are developing , good  game bad game. DTs are weak spot , it showed up in their run game. The speed of the  LBs showed but they didn't tackle them. Adams was terrible, try Sanborn that may be better at point of attack. Gordon may be good by the end of the season but he ain't there yet.

Time and coaching will prevail. Lets see what the last 7 games look like instead of the first 7.

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

Our OL, DL, WR and QB are simply not good enough.

Darnell Mooney can not separate.  He got outran by a safety in the middle of the field last night and he's not physical enough to beat press coverage.

Cole Kmet spends his life as a TE chip blocking.

Justin Fields will be late for his own funeral.  If anyone watched American Underdog, the training Kurt Warner recieved to speed his processing time is exactly what Fields needs.

Now for my time to rant:  On the first offensive play of the game, how did the call a 15 yard low block penalty on our DB?  First, there was no contact at all.  Secondly, you can clearly see the OL is attempting to engage the DB. And lastly, it was clear the DB was trying to avoid the OL to get to the runner.  See the picture, he's already past the OL's front leg and his body piston is locked into making a tackle.  It's a phantom call that happens every time we play the Packers.  It's a tone setter that says you are going to get f'd regardless of your effort.  Low and behold, they screwed Fields out of a TD on that stupid shotgun run from 6".  Collinsworth saw from the booth and the folks from GMFB saw it in their studio this morning.  I didn't expect us to win last night or any other that Rodgers is playing, but damn.

20220919_104711.jpg

The refs again impacted the game. If you look at all the big GB plays, they are blatantly holding and are rarely called. 

On the Gipson sack, he was literally mugged, they called a penalty, then picked up the flag. That may not seem like a big deal but it's 2 more yards. 

Then on the long screen that followed, 2 OLinemen were past the LOS before the pass, which is a penalty, again, not called. Once I saw that on back to back plays, I knew it was game over. 

On their longer punt return watch the blocker launch our gunner past the punt returner (from behind) just because he was already running that way doesn't not make it a block in the back. No call. 

Then on the Fields no TD. On replay, you can see the ball. 

The Bears are still to blame, but the officials are undefeated. 

20 minutes ago, adam said:

The refs again impacted the game. If you look at all the big GB plays, they are blatantly holding and are rarely called. 

On the Gipson sack, he was literally mugged, they called a penalty, then picked up the flag. That may not seem like a big deal but it's 2 more yards. 

Then on the long screen that followed, 2 OLinemen were past the LOS before the pass, which is a penalty, again, not called. Once I saw that on back to back plays, I knew it was game over. 

On their longer punt return watch the blocker launch our gunner past the punt returner (from behind) just because he was already running that way doesn't not make it a block in the back. No call. 

Then on the Fields no TD. On replay, you can see the ball. 

The Bears are still to blame, but the officials are undefeated. 

If Fields can’t make plays in the pocket - it is all a moot point anyway. He has to be able to feed the pocket and make more plays / prevent the negative play.