Week 7 Official Game Loss Thread - CHI @ NE , +8, O/U 39.5, MNF 10/24, 7:15PM CT - ESPN

adam

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Now what are the national pundits going to say after this.

They already said "the Bears won't have 10 days to prepare every week" lmao. They have now allowed 35 pts in the 2nd half all season, averaging 5 pts allowed per game in the 2nd half. 

The one constant has been solid halftime adjustments on defense. 

I loved the designed runs for Fields. That adds an element that defenses have to account for vs just scrambling. Now they have to spy him and that should open up more passing lanes. 

39 minutes ago, jason said:

I didn't watch the game, but what I'm curious about is Fields running. 

That's a lot of rushes. Concerning for a QB.

More concerning, however, is FOUR FUMBLES? Lost fumbles or not, dropping the rock four times is outrageous.

Think the fumbles was more a result of the mist in the air.  One of them hit his own leg while he was running and it popped loose.  He has been a bit dangerous with the ball but I don’t think he was necessarily careless tonight.  

Early in the game Aikman (I think) mentioned that a few weeks back Lamar Jackson ran for 108(?) yards against the Pats.   Like Adam said the Bears play-called more runs for Justin tonight. Maybe a result of what they saw against the Ravens?  

I'm celebrating this Zappe hour like none before it.   That stadium was so quiet in the 4th quarter you could hear a pin drop.   Eberflus made the great one take a knee to end the game on his own goal line.  What a statement. 

Fields was hit and a little miss, but mostly hit and I absolutely love his determination to come back after a mistake and keep moving forward.  He led the team.  This is likely the most complicated defense he'll face all season.  Maybe not the most talented but scheme wise Belichick is always throwing stuff at you mixing players/coverages/fronts throughout a game so it's hard to get a read on tendencies.   Great game overall and plenty of positives to build on.  

No more monkeying around saying we caught 'em by surprise:  We can run the ball.  I'm not sure if ESPN is updated after this game but as of now we are 2nd in yds/gm.   We must run against Dallas because their pass rush is too good.  

I feel bad for Patrick and Fields since Mustipher was back on the field by the 2nd quarter.  Regardless we still wore down the Patriot front.  Gotta give credit where it's due.   Schofield too wasn't even noticeable...which is a good sign.  

These young rookies on defense just keep getting better.  I'm glad for Gordon because he's taken a lot of heat this year.  I think Gordon was little gassed after his INT but Tyquan Thornton ran a 4.28 forty so he's the one guy who can always run you down from behind.   Maybe Velus too.  

After Zappe came in there were some blown assignments in coverage. I'll see what gets said about that in the press conferences today or this week.  I can't take away the great catch Parker had just over Jaylon Johnson's finger tips.   That's an NFL caliber play by all parties.   After that nada!  

The front 7 did a very good job against the run, and that was pleasant surprise.  Pass rush is still lacking but we knew this coming into the season.  

Overall a great win on the road in the bright lights of national TV.  That was done despite a lot of adversity in the 2nd quarter.   I'd have to go back to maybe the Bears/Cards game on MNF where we shocked the nation.  Yet that team came into the game with some elite talent on D/Hester and a winning record.  The football character of this team is pretty strong especially considering the young players who are starting at key positions.    

The #1 take from the game is we are more physical than our opponents. Lots of Patriots limped off the field.

As Fields gets better ,this game plan is how we are going to win games, have Justin running. There was 8 QB runs in the game besides his break down runs. You take the risk of injury but he avoided big hits most of the plays.

We got confidence in this game which is huge for the young players. We are still going to have issues with other teams pass rushes but if you got Fields on the move it will cut down the effectiveness. Judon was a beast just like Parsons will be. Judon actually has more sacks than Parsons.

Our DBs are getting better as we go forward. Dallas will be similar except with a better passing game. If we are more physical than Dallas and run the ball well, we have a chance. 

The Patriots had a very good running game and it was impressive that we held them to 70 yds. If we have sustained drives that eat up clock , you keep the other team off of the field. 

What was impressive about this victory, is we were on the road. NE is not a difficult  place to play but we over came that. 

Against Dallas, run the ball, keep Fields on the move and beat the other team up and we have a chance to win.

10 hours ago, jason said:

I didn't watch the game, but what I'm curious about is Fields running. 

That's a lot of rushes. Concerning for a QB.

More concerning, however, is FOUR FUMBLES? Lost fumbles or not, dropping the rock four times is outrageous.

More designed runs, Fields got down or out of bounds on most. They were very timely too.  We had barely seen any of these yet, which made it easier to defend. Now everyone had to account for him to just take off at the snap. That is different than a scramble. This is what makes defending Lamar so tough. As long as they don't over do it, this is only going to help. 

2 hours ago, adam said:

More designed runs, Fields got down or out of bounds on most. They were very timely too.  We had barely seen any of these yet, which made it easier to defend. Now everyone had to account for him to just take off at the snap. That is different than a scramble. This is what makes defending Lamar so tough. As long as they don't over do it, this is only going to help. 

Doing this more helped open up even more of the run game.  Pettis' late game end around had defenders duped for a few moments, as they were too focused on Fields potentially running out of the backfield.  

https://www.chicagobears.com/video/dante-pettis-collects-29-easy-yards-on-jet-sweep

18 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Doing this more helped open up even more of the run game.  Pettis' late game end around had defenders duped for a few moments, as they were too focused on Fields potentially running out of the backfield.  

https://www.chicagobears.com/video/dante-pettis-collects-29-easy-yards-on-jet-sweep

Yep, it really does open up everything, because if they key on guy in motion, Fields can take it; if they key on Fields, he can give it to Herbert, or play action pass after the bite. 

The one thing they need to work on is having the O-Line at least block a little before releasing. There are too many free runners, but that can be fixed.

37 minutes ago, adam said:

Overall, this was the most complete team victory since the TB win in 2018.

absolutely. It shows where we are headed, but we still dont have the horses to beat the good teams yet. But this shows that we will once we improve the roster around Fields.