I've Been Working a Theory...

Mongo3451

I've had an idea circling through my brain for a couple of years now, but really haven't had the balls to let it out until now.

As we know, the NFL is ever evolving.  It's current evolution is quarterback centric.  It shows with wins and loses and also at the bank.  Through this evolution, I'm seeing something new.  The run game.

What if The Chicago Bears focus all of their offensive resources to assemble a running attack that no defense is equipped to stop?  We already see the Eagles, Titans, Ravens, Browns, Falcons and Bears grinding teams down and winning the 4th quarter.  What if we take it a step further?

There's an entire scrap pile of talented players that were labelled as tweeners.  Can't pass block, ten pounds light to play DT.  We could assemble a team where all five OL are run blocking maulers that are big fast and nasty.  They prominent position of the OL would now be the center because calling the blocking scheme would the key.  Next, the inline TE and FB would be 290# freak athletes who would be more physical than the average of the position.  We already have great blocking receivers, so let's look at it.

Remember the Dallas Cowboys OL and how they made Emmitt Smith the record holder?  There isn't a Bears fan on earth that hasn't said, "if Payton wouldn't had that OL...".  Just think if that OL were all the best run blockers?  Another aspect is that you could build your line deeper because you aren't looking for LT or RT traits.  Straight mauler baby.  Modern defenses aren't equipped for this.  It's all light and fast to prevent the pass and get to the QB.  Overwhelming force from the front would be unstoppable.

Of course, your focus positions have changed back to the running backs.  Remember the teams mentioned above?  They all have one thing in common, no elite passer.  Lamar Jackson has already paved most of the the way, but he gets shut down in the playoffs.  Same with Derrick Henry.  Why?  It's because defenses can take the run away easier than they can take the passing game.  It's due to scheme and personnel though.  E=MCsq is a scientific fact when applied properly.  We have the ultimate QB to make it work.  I think teams would dread the physical beating they would receive from week to week.  Another plus is that it would all be no huddle.  Grind em down, then hit em with a surprise pass play.  They would have to call timeout just to substitute and breathe. 

Anyway, that was fun to get off my chest.  I know it would not be sustainable past a year or two because defenses would adapt to play it, but it would be fun to watch them try.  The funny thing is that our team has the base in place to do this next year.

Somebody please talk some sense into me and prove how this would not work, so I can get it out of my head. 

Seriously, poke holes in it...

I don't think they full bore pound the rock but they already have made the running game important. they want OL physical, bring in WRs that block. Play Monty over Herbert because they value his blocking ability. They are already doing what you suggest. Most teams don't have money tied up  in both sides of the ball . Most are spending on O and drafting D players   I think more balanced teams are more successful with a decent D and a better than average QB. I think that's where we're headed. The problem with the mauler theory is tis NFL is more speed based these days. They will scheme around top heavy run teams.

I agree with most of this. For sure there are many different ways to play football, and when you take up the style that isn't the most popular, you have more draft and Free Agent choices at cheaper salaries in general. The Patriots are geniuses at this. One year they have randy moss and throw all the time, the next year they play defense and run the ball. Theyve won Super Bowls both ways. So youre definitely on to something.

The cover 2 bend but dont break style of defense that we employ absolutely pairs with an offense that eats clock and can run the ball. Of course if the offense is putting up 40 points a game, it doesnt matter how they do it as far as complementing the defense, but this staff is clearly committed to the run, at least as long as Fields is still learning.

Our taste for larger, physical WRs is definitely part of this, and we lead the league in rushing for a reason. So you're definitely right, Mongo.

However, I dont think you can survive in this league without being able to throw the ball too, so the OL does need to pass protect as well. So you cant go all the way to zone run blocking OL and not have them able to protect as well.

But besides that point, I think in general youre absolutely right. And running a wide zone system means OL that can move, so they are pretty much doing exactly what youre saying, and when we get some better athletes to do it, it'll look even better.

Also, that 90s Dallas line sure did open holes, but they kept Aikman clean too!

6 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I've had an idea circling through my brain for a couple of years now, but really haven't had the balls to let it out until now.

As we know, the NFL is ever evolving.  It's current evolution is quarterback centric.  It shows with wins and loses and also at the bank.  Through this evolution, I'm seeing something new.  The run game.

What if The Chicago Bears focus all of their offensive resources to assemble a running attack that no defense is equipped to stop?  We already see the Eagles, Titans, Ravens, Browns, Falcons and Bears grinding teams down and winning the 4th quarter.  What if we take it a step further?

There's an entire scrap pile of talented players that were labelled as tweeners.  Can't pass block, ten pounds light to play DT.  We could assemble a team where all five OL are run blocking maulers that are big fast and nasty.  They prominent position of the OL would now be the center because calling the blocking scheme would the key.  Next, the inline TE and FB would be 290# freak athletes who would be more physical than the average of the position.  We already have great blocking receivers, so let's look at it.

Remember the Dallas Cowboys OL and how they made Emmitt Smith the record holder?  There isn't a Bears fan on earth that hasn't said, "if Payton wouldn't had that OL...".  Just think if that OL were all the best run blockers?  Another aspect is that you could build your line deeper because you aren't looking for LT or RT traits.  Straight mauler baby.  Modern defenses aren't equipped for this.  It's all light and fast to prevent the pass and get to the QB.  Overwhelming force from the front would be unstoppable.

Of course, your focus positions have changed back to the running backs.  Remember the teams mentioned above?  They all have one thing in common, no elite passer.  Lamar Jackson has already paved most of the the way, but he gets shut down in the playoffs.  Same with Derrick Henry.  Why?  It's because defenses can take the run away easier than they can take the passing game.  It's due to scheme and personnel though.  E=MCsq is a scientific fact when applied properly.  We have the ultimate QB to make it work.  I think teams would dread the physical beating they would receive from week to week.  Another plus is that it would all be no huddle.  Grind em down, then hit em with a surprise pass play.  They would have to call timeout just to substitute and breathe. 

Anyway, that was fun to get off my chest.  I know it would not be sustainable past a year or two because defenses would adapt to play it, but it would be fun to watch them try.  The funny thing is that our team has the base in place to do this next year.

Somebody please talk some sense into me and prove how this would not work, so I can get it out of my head. 

Seriously, poke holes in it...

I'm a huge fan. There is a little HS team in AL called Fyffe that's been crushing teams for years by running the Double Wing.

The offense comes from Tim Murphy, who is a legend in many ways.

It may not 100% translate to the NFL because of player speed, but I think there are too many prima donna, soft tackling players in the NFL more concerned with trying to punch the ball or strip it versus plugging a hole 75 times a game just in case the back that slams into that hole every play has the ball.

https://www.al.com/sports/2018/12/forget-the-fun-n-gun-fyffe-wins-with-fun-to-run-offense.html

I think one of the reasons our running game works so well is that our Oline are mobile blockers and we work in a fair amount of  misdirection, including Fields' rollouts, jet sweeps to the backside, etc.   Now they've added in Fields' runs to the strong side or the direction of the play.   All that makes it harder to key off the OG initial movements as was traditionally true.  

I'm 100% on board with building a great running game and working the passing game off that.  I just don't think what we're seeing is the traditional mauler type of run game.  

9 minutes ago, jason said:

I'm a huge fan. There is a little HS team in AL called Fyffe that's been crushing teams for years by running the Double Wing.

The offense comes from Tim Murphy, who is a legend in many ways.

It may not 100% translate to the NFL because of player speed, but I think there are too many prima donna, soft tackling players in the NFL more concerned with trying to punch the ball or strip it versus plugging a hole 75 times a game just in case the back that slams into that hole every play has the ball.

https://www.al.com/sports/2018/12/forget-the-fun-n-gun-fyffe-wins-with-fun-to-run-offense.html

Smart guy, he's taking what he's got in terms of talent and running with it, literally.   

9 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

I think one of the reasons our running game works so well is that our Oline are mobile blockers and we work in a fair amount of  misdirection, including Fields' rollouts, jet sweeps to the backside, etc.   Now they've added in Fields' runs to the strong side or the direction of the play.   All that makes it harder to key off the OG initial movements as was traditionally true.  

I'm 100% on board with building a great running game and working the passing game off that.  I just don't think what we're seeing is the traditional mauler type of run game.  

100%

22 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

What if The Chicago Bears focus all of their offensive resources to assemble a running attack that no defense is equipped to stop?  We already see the Eagles, Titans,

here is the thing. a great running game that eats up the clock can do a LOT to make you a superbowl contender every year, but... to get to that point you have to have at least a 'good +' passing attack to go with it. if you don't, teams will fill the box and clog up all the running lanes. add to that, if you are playing against a high scoring team with an elite passing attack there is no way you can compensate for this with only a running game. you literally would run out the clock trying to catch up.

you have to have the threat of throwing downfield to pull the safeties and corners away from the LOS and make your linebackers hesitate to stay in their lanes to make your running game work. the cowboys with smith had an elite QB with some excellent receivers to go along with it. that running game opened up a lot of passing yards for the cowboys but they still needed a great passing attack to go with it.

finally, the nfl is geared up for scoring points so slow witted idiots watching football don't get bored watching a good defensive contest without basketball scores. this will make it harder to stop opponents that DO have an elite passing game.