Justin Fields Single Game Rushing Record for QB (178 yards)

adam

Wow, that was impressive. Should've been a win. Refs suck.

Even with a slow start, he is on pace for over 1275 yards rushing, and is averaging 102 yards a game in his last 4 (once they started actually running). So if he kept up a pace somewhere in between, he would be over 1300 yards for the year.  If he kept up the same pace for the remainder of the year, he would break Lamar Jackson's single season rushing record. That is insane. DET, ATL, NYJ, and GB up next. 

If this was  Lamar Jackson it would be headlines and highlights everywhere in NFL news.  Media folks haven’t had time to digest what is happening with Fields but watch the tune  change during the course of the week.  Fantasy football types will lead the way because they always find  TDs.  

16 hours ago, AZ54 said:

If this was  Lamar Jackson it would be headlines and highlights everywhere in NFL news.  Media folks haven’t had time to digest what is happening with Fields but watch the tune  change during the course of the week.  Fantasy football types will lead the way because they always find  TDs.  

AZ I am a staunch watcher of ESPN and NFL Network and both have been singing Fields' praises.

I watched NFL Network Game Day Final or whatever they call it last night and his record day barely got a mention.  Most of the highlights and discussion was focused on Miami.  I didn't watch ESPN. 

I said...

"Media folks haven’t had time to digest what is happening with Fields but watch the tune change during the course of the week."  

I'm not surprised people are talking about it more today.  They've had time to look over things.  Big media shows are largely pre-canned.  They have to be because so much work goes into them to match up highlights with discussion topics.  They also focus on 2 things:  Star players and winning teams.   Justin hasn't played like a star to date and we aren't a winning team.  Even if you are a star player on a losing team well then you won't get much coverage either.  

Sunday nights and Monday morning people scan this Fantasy Football Leaders for Wk 9 and suddenly they see Fields ranked 2nd.  Then it's wait a minute, what really happened in that game against Miami?   So they dig a bit deeper and it's not just the running but those passes and play fakes were really good plays.  

https://fantasy.espn.com/football/leaders

What's good for us is that now Fields is becoming a star in the league and that always carries over to calls on the field.  

21 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

I said...

"Media folks haven’t had time to digest what is happening with Fields but watch the tune change during the course of the week."  

They took notice.  I watched it all.  Justin has made the transformation from overwhelmed to overwhelming.  Claypool was obviously huge, ESB cannot be counted on to be that physical guy on the edge.

For the reasons mentioned above I lean toward the local Chicago media after our games.  I find it's a more detailed analysis of our players and coaches versus national media.  After yesterdays' game in every video I watched the Bears fans/media/ex players all said "we got our guy".   

Had we came back and won he game, Fields would have got a lot more press. Tua is another young QB, they are still adjusting to talking about him. After this game, the attention will go up. Remember most bad mouthed him, they have to slowly change over because it makes them look bad.

I've been around long enough to have seen the legendary QB Bobby Douglass ( who held the single season rushing record for a QB when he played) and I saw the guy that he truly reminds me of and that's former Bears/ Raiders QB Vince Evans. Evans was a draft pick by Jim Finks in the (6th or 7th round?) out of USC. He was a scrambling QB with a strong arm that I remember playing in one of the most physical Thanksgiving games ever between the Bears and Cowboys. The year was 1979 and Evans was the Bears starting QB at the time and he stuck around long enough to be the guy to throw Willie Gault's first TD reception of 57 yards against the Colts at Soldier Field in 1983.

The comparison is the athletic ability and his toughness, In the game I mentioned above, Evans was getting hit hard and by the end of the game, he was limping up to center. 

That's who Field's is.

I became a Bears fan watching Dick and Gale in the late 60s, not sure if that makes me the oldest Bear fan on here but I endured the yrs with great Ds and good RBs. It is nice to be on the precipice of a great QB. Not sure if that ends up winning us a SB but if will be an entertaining ride.

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I became a Bears fan watching Dick and Gale in the late 60s, not sure if that makes me the oldest Bear fan on here but I endured the yrs with great Ds and good RBs. It is nice to be on the precipice of a great QB. Not sure if that ends up winning us a SB but if will be an entertaining ride.

That was a little before my time, but I saw a lot of highlights growing up of those two. 

If we can solidify the QB position, everything else becomes easier. The Bears have basically never been afforded that spot to be in. It has always been tough sledding. Not only can Fields lock down that position, he can be a perennial top 10 QB, which puts the Bears in playoff consideration every year (Mahomes, Watson, Allen, Jackson). 

4 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

The first I remember was Bobby Douglas.

7 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Started following them in 1963. And I've got my fingers crossed on Justin. Loved McMahon, but he was injured way too much.

He's amazing running, he seems to be putting it all together, but I'm waiting until hes throwing for 300 yards a game regularly before I can call him a complete QB.

I do think he has it in him, and I'm looking forward to it!

Meanwhile, he's an amazing athlete and runner. He reminds me of Hester in a way - gobbling up huge yards, but not playing a traditional offensive position.

I bet we will start to see it soon, maybe even this week against the Lions. THEN he will have arrived!

GO Justin!

One thing he deserves credit for is how he revised and improved his throwing motion over the offseason.  Before the season started I was worried how that would hold up under the fire of a pass rush.   He's had breakdowns and reverted to bad mechanics at times but even within a game you can see him recover to the new throwing motion.   On top of that they made him change his pre-snap footwork.  Breaking years of habits is really hard to do and he's fought through that in the first half of the season and now looks far more comfortable.  One more offseason to ingrain the new mechanics and it should be second nature.  

Even in losses, what Fields is doing is truly extraordinary. 

Fields now has the two longest rushes in Bears history by a QB, in back to back weeks.

He is now 6th in the NFL in rushing and is on pace to crush the single season rushing record for a QB (1206-Lamar Jackson). In his career, Lamar has only one game with more than 125 yards rushing, and Fields has two back to back. Lamar has two games in his entire career with 100+ yards rushing, 100+ yards passing AND 4+ TDs. Fields also has two, in 53 less games.