Week 15 Official Game Thread - Eagles at Bears, DEC 18th, 12pm, FOX, PHI -9, O/U 49

adam

We get to see one of the MVP favorites in Hurts, who looks a lot like Fields in terms of performance. 

Philly just put up 48, 35, and 40 against NYG, TEN, and GB, so this does not bode well for our defense. I figure they will try to slow them down and make them run while the Bears run 60% of the time. 

Depending on player health, I figure this will be a closer game than expected, but the Bears still lose by 10. I am figuring 30-20 right now. 

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m doing a dangerously hot take . Bears win by a slim margin.  They did some amazing work (adjustment wise) after the mini-bye (blew out Pats if I remember). Looking forward to see how they do after a full bye…at home.  Brisker and Gordon will be back and I’m sure Justin will be playing to win.  

Brisker and Gordon cleared to play.  With both getting 3 weeks off their bodies should be free of the nagging injuries that everyone plays through late in the season.   Now we get to see who takes over for Vildor on the outside.  Jaylon Jones has some competition for that from Blackwell.  

Claypool out. Man that trade keeps looking worse and worse. I really hope Poles and Claypool prove people wrong, but the #33 pick looks a lot better than Claypool does right now.

I am very surprised that the line has stayed at -9. I guess it is because they barely beat Indy 17-16 a few weeks ago. Indy had a 6 pt lead with 2 mins remaining and lost by 1. Philly needed a 14 pt 4th quarter to win.

No matter what we may want or the GM may prefer, the players are playing for jobs and they have no intention of losing as far as effort. Philly has played close games in several this year. A TO could change the outcome of a game. A Fields 50 yd run could change the outcome of the game. I think they can compete for most of the game. Also the weather will not be nice, some Philly players could lack effort if they are winning toward the end of the game. Philly is bad against the run, we are the best running offense in the league. 

5 hours ago, adam said:

Claypool out. Man that trade keeps looking worse and worse. I really hope Poles and Claypool prove people wrong, but the #33 pick looks a lot better than Claypool does right now.

I hope all the best for Claypool.  I would really like for him to succeed in Chicago.  He’s one of those ‘big body’ receivers in a fan of (also a HUGE fan of Harry’s for the same reason).  I’m a little concerned because of the rumors we’d heard about his maturity issues before coming here.  That and he didn’t like playing slot (as Pittsburgh had him found just before he left).  But Chicago has let him play outside and so far on the field he’s done ok.  Maybe he’s another Tevin Jenkins situation?  A player who just needed some good coaching?  Next year is a deciding year for him so I sure hope he figures it out. 

13 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I hope all the best for Claypool.  I would really like for him to succeed in Chicago.  He’s one of those ‘big body’ receivers in a fan of (also a HUGE fan of Harry’s for the same reason).  I’m a little concerned because of the rumors we’d heard about his maturity issues before coming here.  That and he didn’t like playing slot (as Pittsburgh had him found just before he left).  But Chicago has let him play outside and so far on the field he’s done ok.  Maybe he’s another Tevin Jenkins situation?  A player who just needed some good coaching?  Next year is a deciding year for him so I sure hope he figures it out. 

We need a better WR coach then, as it seems like none of the WRs really improved this year. Mooney got worse? Claypool hasn't improved. That entire room seems like it is underperforming.

5 hours ago, adam said:

with the Free Agency and Draft WR pickings so slim, Claypool's value increased dramatically.

Now if he does no more than he's done, then yes, this is a ridiculous bust. But if they coach him up, he may yet become a really good WR for us.

It sounds to me like hes been slow to learn the playbook. That can come with time.

4 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

No matter what we may want or the GM may prefer, the players are playing for jobs and they have no intention of losing as far as effort.

This is 100% true. There is no player fighting for a job that is gonna help us tank to get a draft pick to replace them next year! That's why this playing for a draft pick is a delicate and difficult operation, if the coaches are even doing that. I think they are, but a fair argument can be made that they arent too.

12 minutes ago, adam said:

We need a better WR coach then, as it seems like none of the WRs really improved this year. Mooney got worse? Claypool hasn't improved. That entire room seems like it is underperforming.

I totally agree. If you cant go get a true #1 WR then you need a hell of a coach to get the best out of what you have!

45 minutes ago, adam said:

33-0 at half.

Imagine being either a Vikings or Packers fan right now.  Vikings look good when it comes to ‘win-loss’ record this year but don’t have what it takes to make a deep playoff run…and they have Kirk Cousins.  At least they’re not locked in with him (as much) as GB is with Rodgers.  GB, I think, is done for for a few years.  Love is at a make or break decision point (going into his fifth year rookie contract) and Rodgers still has how many years on his newly signed contract?  

6 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

It's not coaching.  It's lack of talent, Justin and OL.  That's why if there's a premium reciever in the draft, we must get him.

I dont disagree. What Im saying is that I dont believe there is a premium top 10 pick blue chip NFL WR#1 in the draft or free agency as its looking today. And if we cant get one this year, we will need to coach up the guys we have, and I agree with adam above that the WRs we do have havent looked terribly sharp, so maybe a change at WR coach is warranted?

9 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Our WR's are mostly retreads.  Not good.  It's rare that a change of venue brings positive results.

I think we are agreeing.

1) We do not have a true blue chip WR#1 on the roster

2) There does not appear to be a true blue chip WR#1 that will be available in free agency

3) There does not appear to be a true blue chip WR#1 available in the draft

4) The retreads we are working with haven't improved much this year with the current coaching.

so, I guess maybe you try to find a genius WR position coach?

IF we had a #1 , the other WRs would look better, they wouldnt be getting the ball in critical situations. A #1, Mooney as a two and I expect Claypool play like a #2 next yr also. The key is we may just have to wait to dial in the passing game. If we get a high pick, teams like Seattle and Indy may be needing a QB, have them throw a Metcalf or a Pittman if we trade for them.

8 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

IF we had a #1 , the other WRs would look better, they wouldnt be getting the ball in critical situations. A #1, Mooney as a two and I expect Claypool play like a #2 next yr also. The key is we may just have to wait to dial in the passing game. If we get a high pick, teams like Seattle and Indy may be needing a QB, have them throw a Metcalf or a Pittman if we trade for them.

If Claypool is not viewed as a WR1, then trading #33 or #34 for a WR2 is terrible value.

Several reasons Poles went after Claypool. At the time the draft pick was lower but none of that matters. Claypool is as good as any of the FAs that will available this yr. This draft is not considered strong at WR. Their are 5 rated as first round draftees. Poles thought that was worth the risk to give this yr for Claypool and Fields to get familiar with each other. He is signed for one more yr so I suspect that came into play. He hasnt been targeted in the passing game very much and now hurt so this is a small sample size to say he is a bust.  There are arguably only 20 WRs that are considered #1s in the league right now. Mooney was in the next tier not far behind the #1s. Claypool improved he WR room which will not show up this yr with his injury. It will probably not turn out to be the value of the high pick but that has not been determined yet. 

A big if , IF he does 70 rec, 950, 8 TDs next yr in a contract yr, if will have been worth it. You would need to compare it to what he would have gotten with that pick in the draft . I dont think Poles thinks he is a #1 so he was just upgrading the WR room