Bears sign LB Trumaine Edmunds

DABEARSDABOMB

55 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Some good highlights of Edmunds.   As others have pointed out, he plays well at the true MLB position (as Urlacher did) and has great coverage skills for the ‘over the middle’ receivers.

He doesnt show up in stats as much as youd like because he has no hands. He never catches the ball, but he is always in position, and knocks them away instead.

Also, with that speed, he can spy enemy QBs when he needs to. A big fast coverage and tackling machine. Very little "ball production" a true defender, and I LOVE him for us.

I'm trying to come around to this signing.  And I'll throw a bunch of caveats in - I like the player plenty, Poles could still sign a decent OT, etc.  But if you are going to allocate money in what is kind of a defining year for your QB, I don't know why you are doing it for an ILB but not a RT.  You obviously want to see what Fields can do with weapons, which you have addressed but if he's still running for his life because you've got a rookie at RT, that doesn't help your evaluation process.  You can upgrade all you want on the line, but its only as good as your worst player.  If your defense is still bad, but you got Fields weapons and protection and you know what you have with him, that's still a successful season and you can go into the next draft/offseason knowing what you have to fix.  If your defense is keeping you in games, but you still don't know what Fields is yet because line play is still bad, that's a problem.  Plus, there's still lots of work to be done on the DL.  So if Edmunds and Edwards have great tackle totals next year, but it's because our DL play is still bad and they are making plays 5-10 yards downfield (like Sanborn this year), don't expect me to be super impressed.  Not to mention the fact that it borderline locks the Bears into needing to spend their first pick this year on an OT, because you can't really plan on an OT being available at the end of the 2nd round who can play RT right away.  I never like to be a team in that position.  Maybe you can find a way to trade down in the first and trade up in the second to give yourself two shots at a RT solution, but again you can't really count on that.

I really hope it works out, and the Bears have the time (and the $$$) to fix it, I'm just kinda skeptical at this point.

24 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Wow was this contract forecast spot on.  This will explain why we paid him so much money and also why he's likely staying in the middle of the defense.

Yeah, he is another Urlacher. It's gonna be amazing! Now we need a pash rush. :) This is gonna be a good team!

Edmunds with Edwards with Sanborn is such a solid LB corps. They compliment each other very well and are going to make each other better. They can all play the Mike too, which allows them to easily rotate guys in and out to keep them fresh.

I just read an article on chicagobears.com: Football, life a family affair for Tremaine Edmunds  Usually, these articles do not interest me that much. Someone from the Bears' putting up fluff to engage fans during the off season. However, this article has made me a huge fan of Tremaine. Talk about a high character guy! I am going to be a huge fan of his and can't wait to see him take charge of our defense.

8 hours ago, Pixote said:

I just read an article on chicagobears.com: Football, life a family affair for Tremaine Edmunds  Usually, these articles do not interest me that much. Someone from the Bears' putting up fluff to engage fans during the off season. However, this article has made me a huge fan of Tremaine. Talk about a high character guy! I am going to be a huge fan of his and can't wait to see him take charge of our defense.

I think he’s a good fit for our culture.  Early in his career he used to appear lost on the field but it’s hard to comprehend being just 19 when you are drafted.   He was so young and I’m certain he has a lot to learn.   His last couple years have been much better.  I think he’s still ascending and  we bought at the right time. 

57 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Eberflus stated today that Tremaine will be our MLB.  That puts Edwards at WLB and Sanborn at SLB.  

yeah it makes all the sense in the world. Edmunds is a lot like Urlacher. Once we get a pass rush, this is gonna be a hell of a defense.

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

yeah it makes all the sense in the world. Edmunds is a lot like Urlacher. Once we get a pass rush, this is gonna be a hell of a defense.

I think he will have a break out season in wow plays in this defense. Will compare to Shaq Leonard. 2018, 4 FFs, 8 sacks, 2 ints, 8 pds.