Bears sign LB Trumaine Edmunds

DABEARSDABOMB

• DABEARSDABOMB changed the title to Bears sign LB Trumaine Edmunds

4yr 72M; 50M Guaranteed.  Compared a lot to Roquan early in their careers. Turns 25 in May - so very young (albeit 5 years in the league already).  Long and athletic - some of the same knocks Roquan had in the sense that didn't make as many splash plays.  Missed a few games due to injury last year, but has had a good track record of being available (*knock on wood*).  

Pretty excited at how much the LB corps has been revamped today.  It was awful last year - and Sanborn still has an opportunity to fit in nicely (plus I'm sure they'll draft someone later on as well). Shoot - I don't even remember who our LB were other than Roquan that we traded and Sanborn; I have to think really hard before my brain remembers them (which tells you how bad the rest of them were last year).  

5 minutes ago, adam said:

Damn, that is one hell of a LB corps, can easily interchange them on passing downs as well. 

Arguably the best in the league? 

Got 2 for 1 Roquan.  I remember wanting Edmonds over Roquan in the draft.  Crazy stuff.

How much money do we have left?

15 minutes ago, adam said:

Edmunds is only 24? Holy crap, he is a year younger than Velus (and Roquan) and has been in the league 5 years.

Also, I didn't know he was 6'5", he is a monster of a LB.

He is a very good linebacker,  but he, just like Roquan was, have been light on the "splash plays".  Edmunds is a really good athlete and I think both Edmunds and the other LB we signed are very good in coverage - so 3 down type of guys.  

1 hour ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

4yr 72M; 50M Guaranteed.  Compared a lot to Roquan early in their careers. Turns 25 in May - so very young (albeit 5 years in the league already).  Long and athletic - some of the same knocks Roquan had in the sense that didn't make as many splash plays.  Missed a few games due to injury last year, but has had a good track record of being available (*knock on wood*).  

Pretty excited at how much the LB corps has been revamped today.  It was awful last year - and Sanborn still has an opportunity to fit in nicely (plus I'm sure they'll draft someone later on as well). Shoot - I don't even remember who our LB were other than Roquan that we traded and Sanborn; I have to think really hard before my brain remembers them (which tells you how bad the rest of them were last year).  

I was yelling for him over Roquan at the time! Awesome :)

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

He is exactly the guy Flus wants roaming the middle.  He's a lot longer than Roquan is.  Kind of an Urlacher type of athlete.  I like it.

That's exactly who he can be for us. He's oversized and rangey, hes a lot to throw over in the deep middle, and we are building a cover 2 D.

Check out his spider chart: Big and Fast, that rare combination.

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/tremaine-edmunds

Height           6' 4 1/2"        96 percentile     (Url 6' 4")
Weight            253              91 percentile     (Url 258)
Wingspan       83"              98 percentile
Arm Length   34 1/2"         97 percentile      (Url 33")
40 time          4.54             88 percentile      (Url 4.59)

I dont think they used Edmunds like that in Buffalo. He might end up being a lot more productive here than he was there.

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

T J Edwards and Edmunds also excel in pass coverage. Slide Sanborn to MLB and you have a great start at fixing the front 7 Edmunds is a better scheme fit th an Roquan was. Probably 15% over pay but you want Roquan at 20 mil or Edwards and Edmunds at 25 mil?

I think you put Edmunds at MLB and he roams the deep middle in pass coverage like Urlacher did, and one of the other two plays the Will spot, where the play is just funneled to you, like Briggs (or Derrick Brooks). You need a sure tackler there. Could be Sanborn, or could be the new guy I havent seen enough film on him yet to guess which.

4 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

I think you put Edmunds at MLB and he roams the deep middle in pass coverage like Urlacher did, and one of the other two plays the Will spot, where the play is just funneled to you, like Briggs (or Derrick Brooks). You need a sure tackler there. Could be Sanborn, or could be the new guy I havent seen enough film on him yet to guess which.

Edwards is playing MLB , Edmunds the Will slot. Sanborn  SLB. I now spoke. Edmunds is going to be Shaq Leonard on steroids. He's going to kill it in this scheme. This was the other big money contract. The rest will be below 10 mil a year guys.

Bears Twitter is something else. People saying why not just keep Roquan? He didn't like the contract offered. The Bears got a 2nd round pick AND Edmunds for less than him. Edmunds is a year younger and may actually end up being as good as or better than Roquan in this scheme. They also committed less guaranteed money for less of a term. 

22 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Twitter is lame sometimes, Bears fans are chaotic. Because we haven't signed a RT or DT, we all of a sudden have a bad free agency.Time will cure everyone's mood . Poles is a smart guy.

This year's draft is strong for OL & DL. Our 4 picks in the first 64 will, IMO, concentrate on our trenches.

5 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Edwards is playing MLB , Edmunds the Will slot. Sanborn  SLB. I now spoke. Edmunds is going to be Shaq Leonard on steroids. He's going to kill it in this scheme. This was the other big money contract. The rest will be below 10 mil a year guys.

I'm thinking Edmonds will absolutely be the MLB with Edwards being Will and Sanborn being the Sam.  Sanborn would come out on Nickel and Dime and Edwards coming out in Dime.  Back to the days of Url, Briggs and Hill...

3 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I'm thinking Edmonds will absolutely be the MLB with Edwards being Will and Sanborn being the Sam.  Sanborn would come out on Nickel and Dime and Edwards coming out in Dime.  Back to the days of Url, Briggs and Hill...

thats what I think too