Predicting the 53-man roster

adam

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

Well we know Walker didn't make a good case for himself.  At least while sitting on the bench Walker looked like he was quite comfortable with his guaranteed money. 

Bagent looked okay but as I waited to see any pass beyond 10 yards down field I felt like that meme where the guy is poking something with a stick saying "come on do something".  His pocket presence is surprisingly good.  We have to remember how much Justin struggled with this offense last year and keep that in perspective for what Bagent is doing.  The further downfield you go the more variables there are in the route "reads" based on the coverage.  I think we saw some of that on Bagent's INT where the receiver just stopped cold and didn't even turn around.  

So I agree they let Bagent "lose" the job today and I don't think he did that at all.  My only question now is do we keep 3 QBs?  I'd rather keep 2 and stash Peterman on the practice squad again.  If we lose Fields and Bagent to injury  Walker is not going to save the season any more or less than Peterman.  In fact I'd just as soon take the higher draft pick, especially if we need to draft a QB.   In the meantime that lets us keep another roster spot for Oline depth which we need right now.  

100%, all of this

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Lord Poles was in the booth taking to Thayer and Joniak and seemed to really like Bagent.  He also spoke very highly of Dexter, Stevenson and Pickens.

If Stevenson learns to keep his eyes on the receiver when in man coverage he'll be good.  He likes to cheat and look back at the QB and that's where he ends up with his holding penalties.  

I like what Swift said when he called Dexter and Pickens.... The Law Firm.  Looking forward to watching these two grow in their skillsets.  

Leatherwood never got any better. It's so surprising, he has physical skills, and he was highly drafted, but in the end, he's not a football player.

We must be liking J'Tyre Carter and starting to trust him.

I also think with Jenkins' injury, they see they will keep Patrick around, so that leaves Leatherwood as the odd man out.

I'm surprised that he never developed, but Im not surprised we cut him today given that he didnt.

13 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

We must be liking J'Tyre Carter and starting to trust him.

I also think with Jenkins' injury, they see they will keep Patrick around, so that leaves Leatherwood as the odd man out.

And as Ashkum points out, we’re #1 for the waiver pickup for the next few weeks. Puts us in the catbird seat for any potential IOL casualties from other teams.  

And the X-itter-verse is suggesting there is a potential trade for Tevis Gipson in the works.  Potentially for an IOL?  🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

We'll never know if PJ Walker took his position as the #2 QB for granted or if that's simply the best he can play.  Either way the coaches made the right decision.  Leatherwood was given every opportunity as well and didn't earn it.  Glad to see us moving on from both.  

54 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

And the X-itter-verse is suggesting there is a potential trade for Tevis Gipson in the works.  Potentially for an IOL?  🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

I figured the best we'd get at this point is a 6th rounder or something. If we get an IOL, they'd have to be able to make the roster or it's pointless. So if they can get someone of that quality, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

29 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

We'll never know if PJ Walker took his position as the #2 QB for granted or if that's simply the best he can play.  Either way the coaches made the right decision.  Leatherwood was given every opportunity as well and didn't earn it.  Glad to see us moving on from both.  

Yup - HITS philosophy in action. Earn your spot, or see ya.

Yeah, a lot of people fall victim to the fallacy of sunk costs. You already spent the money - keep the best players, no need to justify the $ it's already gone either way.

Plus when you cut these guys it's good for team chemistry. people get the idea that this isn't a cushy gig where you can half ass it.

I like what Poles and Eberflus are doing. i imagine we will get better every year for a while.

1 hour ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

This cuts make total sense and glad to see they aren’t afraid to make them. 

Cut them early so they can find a new team. Buffalo exposed how far we are. I can see the team being competitive but they are still not there.  I hope Fields can do it, but he scares me.  Get our oline healthy and show us.

Has their ever been a Practice Squad player that was so good that they developed into a solid starter anywhere across the league? Like how often does that happen? I know UDFAs work out sometimes, but actual PS players that get promoted or acquired by another team and go on to be very solid? 

Also, just from looking at production based on starter and bench players, outside of injuries, most players after the top 22 or on offense and defense (bottom 5-6 guys on the 53-man) are just special teams filler players, that never really make an impact on offense or defense. That leads me to believe that the Bears will only keep 4 Edge players, so it will come down to only 2 of Robinson, Green, and Lewis, assuming Gipson is already gone.

40 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Why did those two get cut so early?  Is it so they can clear waivers, or not, and the team can plan around that to put them on the practice squad?   Or know they need to look elsewhere.  

My assumption is they met multiple criteria: they weren't even close to making the roster (ie even Peterman ahead of Walker) and they were vets that they wanted to give a chance to get picked up by another team before the market is flooded with low end players.

Andrew Brown and Bravvion Roy are gone, both DTs, so they seem content on possibly only the top 4.

Daurice Fountain waived, hopefully he stays on the PS.

D'Anthony Jones flashed, hopefully he slides over as well.

Nsimba Webster was an earlier than expected cut, looks better for Velus with Pettis on IR.

I thought Ojemudia played well, but I guess they wanted CB6 to be more ST, which is Jaylon Jones.

21 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Something to monitor but evidently Mooney has been brought up as a possible trading chip.  Along with continued (and confirmed) discussions of Gipson being traded. 

https://x.com/wiltfongjr/status/1696233595017273600?s=46&t=KrpJmhSTc4DI1sACtjisOQ

Mooney  for Chris Jones is a trade I can support.   

So it looks like the 53-man is going to come down to who OL9 is (Kramer right now), whether they are going to run with 5 DEs, 5 DTs, or 6 LBs, can only have 15 from those 3 groups.  If they roll with 6x LBs, the last DL spot will be either Lewis (Edge) or Bell (DT). If they roll with 5 LBs, they can have a 5 DTs and 5 DEs, but Special Teams would be thin. Lastly, CB6 is Jaylon Jones and S4 is AJ Thomas.

Those are the 4 fluid positions, OL9, DE5/DT5/LB6, CB6, and S4. So technically 1 spot on offense and 3 on defense. I really don't see very much other movement unless ESB or Velus are cut for a better WR6. 

Obviously injuries will play a huge role in all of this. However, at the end of the day the guys and slots I listed above will have less than 1% impact on the team's overall performance.

5 hours ago, adam said:

DHC waived by BAL. I wonder if the Bears are interested for S4, instead of AJ Thomas. The Special Teams unit would be really solid with DHC and Dylan Cole anchoring it. Thoughts?

I don't like our backup safeties but DHC was bad in coverage and was already surpassed on special teams by guys like Velus Jones and Blackwell on kick coverage.  His ship has sailed we need to be trying out younger guys searching for upside.