Preseason is meaningless

adam

So most stats are meaningless. Most of the preseason stats leaders never amount to anything in the league. However, I tried to see if there were any trends from players that Fields has been comp'd to in terms of career progression (Year 3 leap, gets true WR1, etc).

This is what I found, it might be completely irrelevant, but interesting nonetheless:

Preseason Comp%
J. Allen - 54.5%, 64.3%, 76.9% (Diggs), 100%
L. Jackson -  50%, 62.5%, 75%
J. Hurts - 42.9%, 100% (Brown)
T.  Tagovailoa - 70.6%, 80% (Hill)

J. Fields - 61.2%, 76.7%, 100% (Moore)

Everyone of these QBs improved their comp% YoY in their first few years. One other note, Fields had a better rookie comp% than Allen, Jackson, and Hurts. Just something to watch to see where Fields ends up after playing a few more series this summer. 

In comparison, Jordan Love had a 68.6%, then it dropped to 55.4%, and popped back up after the first game to 70%. Just something to watch for. If he doesn't keep it over 68.6%, then he is trending the wrong way. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Fields' would have aligned his feet with his screen pass to DJ Moore I'd be more optimistic.  Regardless the talent around him is much better and that alone will make a positive impact on his comp%.  Slow snaps from Whitehair don't help.  It's like a little lob pass back to the QB so Fields has to wait for it.  OTOH that's a lot easier to handle and less likely to blow past the QB.  

Just now, AZ54 said:

If Fields' would have aligned his feet with his screen pass to DJ Moore I'd be more optimistic.  Regardless the talent around him is much better and that alone will make a positive impact on his comp%.  Slow snaps from Whitehair don't help.  It's like a little lob pass back to the QB so Fields has to wait for it.  OTOH that's a lot easier to handle and less likely to blow past the QB.  

Very true, he still has to work on his short game accuracy, even though the ones to Blasingame and Herbert were fine. He needs to do the easy things better, which is weird. 

It is nice that he has playmakers that can do the work for him. Just with improved YAC alone, increased attempts, he will easily surpass 3K passing yards. 

1 minute ago, Stinger226 said:

If you watch the play to DJ had he not delayed his run after the catch for a split second, he may not have found the lane to run. That split second allowed for a couple of blocks to be made.

Yep, it looks that way. The split second hesitation allowed the blocks to be setup just right for him to slip thru. If he catches and goes, the defender's angle changes and he gets around the block.

12 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

If you watch the play to DJ had he not delayed his run after the catch for a split second, he may not have found the lane to run. That split second allowed for a couple of blocks to be made.

DJ has incredible spacing skills - youll see it in his routes too. He just knows where everyone is going to be a second in the future. Its not about pure speed - but reading holes in the spacing. Mike Brown had the same skill, albeit in reverse (closing holes on defense)

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

I think pre season is important to develop brain mapping and muscle memory against different athletes.

I agree. It’s a very long off-season.  Anyone who has played any sport knows things don’t feel right after a 6 month break. 

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

Fields is not playing tomorrow.  Kinda ticks me off...

I saw that.  It’s very interesting because it seems to be based on comfort with how well Fields is playing.  I think there are other factors such as Kramer being the likely starter at center.  From Flus’ perspective he’s seen enough of what Fields can do against the Colts defense that nothing more will be learned.  At least not enough as compared to the downside risk of injury if a protection call is messed up.  

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

I saw that.  It’s very interesting because it seems to be based on comfort with how well Fields is playing.  I think there are other factors such as Kramer being the likely starter at center.  From Flus’ perspective he’s seen enough of what Fields can do against the Colts defense that nothing more will be learned.  At least not enough as compared to the downside risk of injury if a protection call is messed up.  

That's how I read it too.

NFL Preseason has morphed from the preseason games that we see, to week long intra-team scrimmages and position work. The coaches are able to dial up the matchups they want to see, and can do it in a controlled way without the increased risk of injury in a game.

IF you've seen your QB carve up their defense in 7 on 7s, but the OL is missing guys who are dinged up, and they keep getting destroyed in practice, what good is going thru the game? You're not getting quality work for Fields, you risk injuring him, and you provide fodder for sportswriters to write negative things.

One of the great things about football is how every position leans on every other position - it's the ultimate team sport. So it's smart that the coaches find a way to get increased quality work, while isolating variables (7 on 7, 1 on 1) so you don't have to put dinged up OL out there to protect the QB just so he gets work against live opponents.

It's too bad we cant watch more of the scrimmages on TV or streaming, but this modern kind of offseason does make a lot of sense for the teams.

10 hours ago, AZ54 said:

The only reason I care, is that I wanted to see him play in person.  Selfishness aside, it's probably a good move after two strong joint sessions with the Colts.  My guess is that he plays some next weekend.

7 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

The only reason I care, is that I wanted to see him play in person.  Selfishness aside, it's probably a good move after two strong joint sessions with the Colts.  My guess is that he plays some next weekend.

Greg Gabriel said all teams get the tape on the bears preseason games but the practice is not shared with the league. They worked on what they needed to see, and not put stuff on tape for the rest of the league. I guess that makes sense.  

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

that's a nice stadium, the only time I was there was for a Big 10 championship game when Iowa played Michigan State (I think)

It's phenomenal.  The roof was open too, so that was cool.  My son got tix from his business that were really nice.  Please Bears, continue the move out of Soldier Field...

7 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Looking forward to how Tyson Bagent pans out.  Maybe tonight he solidifies a spot as a back up or at least on the PS? 

Gotta tell you, he looked really good.  Relaxed and delivered good play fakes.  Passes were on the money in tight places.  PJ Walker looked like hot garbage.  We left after the halftime show, so not sure how he finished.