• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
On 8/28/2023 at 6:44 AM, adam said:

Also, I am totally fine with Bagent as the backup. If Fields gets hurt, the season is more than likely over anyway, so why not develop another QB just in case Fields becomes injury prone or never develops into a consistent passer?

Auto-correct got me on the name. 

Crazy that this actually happened. Foreshadowing or Mandela Effect?

21 minutes ago, adam said:

I kinda felt this was coming.   It happened with Grossman and Trubisky. Now we are looking at drafting a QB and possible go Fields, rookie, and Bagent to start the season. We have control of fields 4th year.  If the rookie looks good in TC and takes the reins, you can start shopping Fields.

2 hours ago, adam said:

yeah, this made a lot of sense at the time. and you nailed it. we were all full of questions on Fields, and second string QBs, especially rookie ones, are what football kool aid dreams are made of. Most QBs dont play every snap, theres usually some injury, and even if youre debating which QB should be the backup, youre doing it in the framework of "what if they play?" so it makes sense. Im going with foreshadowing. :)

13 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I kinda felt this was coming.   It happened with Grossman and Trubisky. Now we are looking at drafting a QB and possible go Fields, rookie, and Bagent to start the season. We have control of fields 4th year.  If the rookie looks good in TC and takes the reins, you can start shopping Fields.

11 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

yeah, this made a lot of sense at the time. and you nailed it. we were all full of questions on Fields, and second string QBs, especially rookie ones, are what football kool aid dreams are made of. Most QBs dont play every snap, theres usually some injury, and even if youre debating which QB should be the backup, youre doing it in the framework of "what if they play?" so it makes sense. Im going with foreshadowing. :)

I felt it coming. Again I am not a conspiracy theorist, but I really think overall this is going exactly how Poles wanted it to. For publicity sake, they all support Fields, but in reality, he was going to be the scapegoat. They knew his ceiling after last year. Poles said this was a multi-year thing, and Flus is also probably another fall guy in all of this, because there is no way you can keep him after the worst two year stretch in franchise history (and close to the worst in NFL history). 

Fields has shown enough to be more valuable than Wilson and Lance for sure. I don't know what that's worth, but it would be nice to get a 2nd for him to recoup what you lost for Claypool, even if you have to give a 5th or 6th back to recoup that high of a pick, you do it. Go into 2024 draft with multiple 1st's and 2nd's, address QB, WR, Edge, and Center. 

This guy had a film breakdown with Bagent before the draft. I have seen other QBs in the "Film Room" shows and Bagent's responses are about as good as they get for understanding what he defense is showing/doing and what route is the best answer to situation. 

51 minutes ago, adam said:

This guy had a film breakdown with Bagent before the draft. I have seen other QBs in the "Film Room" shows and Bagent's responses are about as good as they get for understanding what he defense is showing/doing and what route is the best answer to situation. 

Nice dig.  I love his process.

Bagent did it, his game was impressive for a rookie. He looked like he knew what he was doing, wasn't surprised by pressure, made protections changes, and audibled a few times. Besides for the distance of the throws, I thought he played a very solid game, and light years ahead of any other D2 QBs have in the past. 

2 minutes ago, adam said:

Bagent did it, his game was impressive for a rookie. He looked like he knew what he was doing, wasn't surprised by pressure, made protections changes, and audibled a few times. Besides for the distance of the throws, I thought he played a very solid game, and light years ahead of any other D2 QBs have in the past. 

RIght. Bagent is not a great elite athlete, but he is a very good quarterback. It's better to have an elite athlete who is also a great Quarterback, but i think this experience is proving that it is better to have a good QB, than a great athlete who isnt a good QB playing QB.

Check out this comparison:

Fields vs LVR (3rd start): 12-20, 60%, 111 yds, 1 TD, 0 INT, 91.9 Rating, 2 sacks, 5.55 Y/A, 3-4 rushing
Bagent vs LVR (1st start): 21-29, 72.4%, 162 yds, 1 TD, 0 INT, 97.2 Rating, 1 sack, 5.6 Y/A, 3-24 rushing

Right now we are comparing a D2 UDFA in his first start with a 3rd year QB. Bagent is already ahead of Fields at the same time in their careers. Bagent can basically only get better, but we may have seen Fields' ceiling, that is concerning. Not that Bagent is the guy. His comp is probably a solid backup/spot starter, but with the right situation could be much better. Fields comp now is more Jameis Winston than Jalen Hurts. He still has time to change that, but the same problems that plagued him to this point are still there. 

I feel like Bagent is as competent and capable and winnable as any NFL backup could be while still not being courted as a starter on another team.

In other words, we may have found our backup for a long time. That'd be great.

5 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

And like Alex Smith, maybe you can draft a young guy behind him to sit for a year, and do it right?

I agree with that, always throwing rookies to the wolves may not be the best way to do it. Because they were drafted high, doesnt mean they are ready for prime time./ With someone like Burrows it worked except now he is beat up because they didnt build the Oline first. No matter who is playing QB build the team first then get your QB. Its rarely a quick fix.

10 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Maybe he can become an Alex Smith type of QB but I doubt you ever win because of him . Build a good team and play to his strengths, then you can win some games. He's just not ever going to be an Aaron Rodgers or Joe Burrows. It's nice to have a competitive # 2.

Lets not forget Alex Smith was the #1 overall draft pick. The dude was an extremely talented athlete.  But all that aside - I would love if it Bagent turned into that. If he did - than on the rookie deal you could really put a lot of talent around him and be really good.  I'm on record as stating I want to draft a QB next year (unless one of Bagent / Fields goes off).  But I'm also on record as stating I want real competition. I don't want the rookie being handed the job.  I want him having to battle and beat out Fields and Bagent.  That is going to push him and make him better. Quite frankly I think it will make the entire QB room better and in the long-run my gut is it allows the rookie QB to get pushed and actually get time to develop, it probably also allows one of Fields / Bagent to show value to others and buy us an asset.  Likely means Fields is traded, Bagent stays as a very good back-up and the rookie eventually takes the job and you are in a great spot cap wise.  

I still think the main purpose of this year is to see if Fields is the guy. I don't think that evaluation is done yet with 10 games to play. He will get the bulk of games to show us what he can be. What we do know is we have a good backup. So if we move on from Justin  your idea of letting having him run the show as a rookie learns. I could accept that for a  year knowing we are building a good team around a QB. If he wins the QB job in that time so be it.

23 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I still think the main purpose of this year is to see if Fields is the guy. I don't think that evaluation is done yet with 10 games to play. He will get the bulk of games to show us what he can be. What we do know is we have a good backup. So if we move on from Justin  your idea of letting having him run the show as a rookie learns. I could accept that for a  year knowing we are building a good team around a QB. If he wins the QB job in that time so be it.

The eval is not yet, but at the same time, do the Bears want to evaluate what they got in Bagent? You can only eval one of them. If the Bears beat LAC on SNF, and he plays like he did against the Raiders, he will have 2 wins in 2 starts while Fields has 2 wins in his last 15 starts with the same team.  

It is a tough spot, Flus and Getsy are coaching for their lives at this point. I would say anything less than 7 wins and they are gone. If they come out on top on SNF at 3-5, there is an outside chance they can get to 5-5 after playing CAR. Thought would mean they only have to go 2-5 the rest of the way to get to 7 wins.

The risk is you go back to Fields, and he plays bad and they lose a few more games, because if they go back to Bagent at that point, Fields, Flus, and Getsy are done.

On 10/23/2023 at 7:44 AM, Mongo3451 said:

He does he compare to Purdy?

Better arm strength.  I watched Purdy all through college so I have a good feel for what he can do and I think Bagent is a tad better in velocity in a game.  Combine numbers back that up but it's game tape that matters most to me.  This evaluation from Chase is surprisingly good.   Rewatching many of these plays, some with unblocked pass rushers in retrospect I'm shocked how easy Bagent made that game look. 

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

Better arm strength.  I watched Purdy all through college so I have a good feel for what he can do and I think Bagent is a tad better in velocity in a game.  Combine numbers back that up but it's game tape that matters most to me.  This evaluation from Chase is surprisingly good.   Rewatching many of these plays, some with unblocked pass rushers in retrospect I'm shocked how easy Bagent made that game look. 

That's exactly what I'm talking about.  Justin does none of this.  We want to talk shit on Getsy, but is that really the deal?  In no way am I carrying that Bagent is Rodgers, but he does well what Rodgers does well.  Quick release, quick decisions, accuracy and safe handling of the football.  Rodgers is an all time great at deep accuracy and that is something that sets them apart. Does Bagent have it or not?  I'm ready to find out...