Beekman or Metcalf?

DABEARSDABOMB

With Orton taking over at Quarterback it is obvious that the Bears (while not mathematically eliminated) are looking towards next season. The question is should the Bears start to take a similar route with the offensive line?

Terrance Metcalf has shown that he clearly isn't capable of being a good offensive lineman. He is a valuable backup and I'd imagine based on his minimal cap figure we will see him back next year (in a backup role) but my question is should the Bears go out and give Beekman a chance (I think he was drafted out of ISU this past year). My immediate thought is yes, however, it should only be if he is ready because if Beekman is clearly worse than Metcalf you do run the risk of making a porous offensive line even worse which will actually hurt the evaluation of Kyle Orton (which has to be the most important position that the Bears are looking at for next year, at least on the offensive side of the ball).

I think you can make a similar case when it comes to cutting down Moose's time. They obviously will not hamper with Berrian's playing time and Bernard is in a contract year and it would be a horrible decision to take away from his final season and would possibly be something that causes burned bridges and would eventually prevent the Bears from being able to resign Bernard (ie, him not playing would hurt his stats and lead him to getting a smaller contract on the FA market). The question is do you gain a lot more by playing someone like Hass (obviously Bradley should play more, because this is probably his last season with the Bears if he can't show some flashes these last couple games) or do you server Kyle better by keeping out the steady veteran presence (ie Mush).

It will definitely be interesting to see how Lovie/Ron balances the offense (how much more do we see Wolfe) over the course of the next three games. I know I'm real excited to see what Kyle can do and to see if Wolfe/Hester can turn into some nice playmakers on offense (I've slammed Wolfe all season, but I must admit he looked shockingly solid last week).

I think you can make a similar case when it comes to cutting down Moose's time. They obviously will not hamper with Berrian's playing time and Bernard is in a contract year and it would be a horrible decision to take away from his final season and would possibly be something that causes burned bridges and would eventually prevent the Bears from being able to resign Bernard (ie, him not playing would hurt his stats and lead him to getting a smaller contract on the FA market). The question is do you gain a lot more by playing someone like Hass (obviously Bradley should play more, because this is probably his last season with the Bears if he can't show some flashes these last couple games) or do you server Kyle better by keeping out the steady veteran presence (ie Mush).

I think that after the last game, one thing the Bears really need to do is to get this Devin Hester guy as much playing time at WR during games as humanly possible. He seems pretty good. He caught a few passes last week, and for some reason people seem really intimidated by him. The work might be useful for him, even if it's only Orton throwing to him. Perhaps they could get into one of those rhythms together.

Seriously, if Hester is going to play WR for this team next year, and if he's as big of a threat as they think he can be, go crazy with him the last 4 weeks for playing time. Stick him in as many sets as he can, and if nothing else let him practice.

Put in Beekman. The goaline play AP was stuffed for a 3 yard loss last thurs Miller was just pushed back into him, seen enough.

Moose was absolutely no use to KO in his rookie season, bench him & see what we have in Bradley/Hass

Haha, you mentioning KO's rookie season reminded me of all the camera shots where you'd have Bears WR's (especially Moose) just wondering what the heck was going on (as pass after pass landed 5 yards short in the turf).

Luckily Kyle has had time to actually develop now. I have to keep remindming myself that he was thrusted into an impossible situation his rookie year. No one expected him to be a starting QB on week 1 (thank you Hutchinson and the rest of the QB's on the squad), but he did better than the retread guys that had actually started football games.

Kyle looked pretty good in the preseason and he definitely has the big frame/build you'd like to see out of a QB. I remember him having a strong arm in college that was relatively accurate. He also played very well out of the shotgun and will probably be the best QB we've had in the shotgun since the Bears reintroduced it this season (Grossman was horrible out of the shotgun and Griese wasn't much better). If Kyle can show improved decision making and confidence, there is no reason he doesn't have the tools to be a sucessful NFL QB (whether it is with Chicago next year or some other team if the Bears opt to deal with him). The big if to me is whether Kyle will be able to get rid of the ball in time (since I always remember him having a relatively slow release).

Moose was absolutely no use to KO in his rookie season, bench him & see what we have in Bradley/Hass

Given how Bad Orton was as a rookie I understand saying that, but on the other hand, what I saw of him that year did at least seem like he made use of Moose as a safety blanket. He couldn't hit him a lot of times, but he still used him as his only real weapon in the passing game. The problem was that Orton wasn't that good and seemingly couldn't hit the broadside of a barn on 3rd down even if his guy was wide open. Even with that, Moose put up more catches in 05 than in 06 with Rex at the helm, even though his average YPC was longer in 06.

Beekman, Bradley, Wolfe, Hass, and Williams all need to see time. Work them in however possible.

I'd love to see Williams find a way to slide into Briggs spot with Urlacher taking a seat for the rest of the season (lets see if he can get healthy for next year). This way the Bears can see what Briggs can do at MLB, plus they get to see Williams on the field which will give them an idea if he can replace Briggs (if the Bears opt not to sign him) or if they end up using Williams instead of Hillmeyer.

I'd love to see Williams find a way to slide into Briggs spot with Urlacher taking a seat for the rest of the season (lets see if he can get healthy for next year). This way the Bears can see what Briggs can do at MLB, plus they get to see Williams on the field which will give them an idea if he can replace Briggs (if the Bears opt not to sign him) or if they end up using Williams instead of Hillmeyer.

Williams is overrated, IMO. Not a huge fan. I don't think he has anywhere near the amount of coverage skills to play the WILL. Perhaps the SAM, but we have HH there, and is underrated anyway. I think Williams is best served as the 4th LB and as a special teamer.

Beekman should probably start, but with the fact that Anthony Oakley has been active while Beekman has been inactive should tell you something.

I'd like to see Bradley and Hass as well.

Moose IMHO should be put to pasture. I must admit I was all for his signing when it happened, but he has declined a lot and has a tendency to throw his QB under the bus when he drops almost as much as he catches. I think that Orton would be best served with Berrian, Bradley, Haas, and Hester as his main recievers. I also agree that the TE will help him build some confidence and I would really like to see Turner go 2 TE for much of this game.

Beekman, Bradley, Wolfe, Hass, and Williams all need to see time. Work them in however possible.

Wolfe showed me a hell of a lot more wiggle and explosiveness than AP and Benson combined. he may be small but the dude has a lot of drive.

Wolfe Hester and Hass need a lot more PT.

Agree on Beekman and Williams too. Might as well see what Oakley can do too.

I think it is also important to not play a couple guys, specifically Urlacher and Harris (the last thing I want to see is either of those guys get hurt). Urlacher has been playing hurt all year and I'm sure he'll end up finishing the season but in Harris case there is no excuse to have him out there (the guy is pratically playing on one leg and is going to need off-season surgery, why not let him get it now so he has an extra month or so to get ready for camp).

I am all for getting all of our players who have yet to have a chance to prove themselves a chance to see what they can contribute. We have many players used very sparingly or not at all that we need to evaluate, not just Orton, but Beekman, Haas, Wolfe, Bradley, etc....

Let's face it, we need to shuffle the deck before next season, might as well see what cards we have that we want to hold onto before we start shopping around and getting ready for the draft.

If Im the coach, anyone who is injured, or even close, doesn't take a snap the rest of this season. That means Rex, Tommie, Urlacher, Vasher, Darwin Walker, don't see the field.

Anyone who is either young, or unproven, should get full opportunity to gain experience & prove themselves worthy of a spot in training camp next year. This means Orton, Wolfe, Beekman, Hass, Bradley, Jamar Williams, McBride, Kennedy, Olsen, that DT off the practice squad, D. Manning, Hester, and McGowan should all be in the game for the majority of the snaps at their respective positions.

This team had a bad year, but we really aren't that far away from being a legitimate NFC contender again next year. While roster upgrades, and probably some coaching staff upgrades, will be necessary, we can get a good head start now by identifying which guys deserve a chance next year, and which guys should be cut loose sow e can move on to somebody else.

Moose IMHO should be put to pasture. I must admit I was all for his signing when it happened, but he has declined a lot and has a tendency to throw his QB under the bus when he drops almost as much as he catches. I think that Orton would be best served with Berrian, Bradley, Haas, and Hester as his main recievers. I also agree that the TE will help him build some confidence and I would really like to see Turner go 2 TE for much of this game.

Ya, when they signed hom it seemed like a great addition because he was the best receiver in the league stats wise that year. He is too inconsistent now.

If Im the coach, anyone who is injured, or even close, doesn't take a snap the rest of this season. That means Rex, Tommie, Urlacher, Vasher, Darwin Walker, don't see the field.

Anyone who is either young, or unproven, should get full opportunity to gain experience & prove themselves worthy of a spot in training camp next year. This means Orton, Wolfe, Beekman, Hass, Bradley, Jamar Williams, McBride, Kennedy, Olsen, that DT off the practice squad, D. Manning, Hester, and McGowan should all be in the game for the majority of the snaps at their respective positions.

This team had a bad year, but we really aren't that far away from being a legitimate NFC contender again next year. While roster upgrades, and probably some coaching staff upgrades, will be necessary, we can get a good head start now by identifying which guys deserve a chance next year, and which guys should be cut loose sow e can move on to somebody else.

I too think that all of the young guys, backups, etc. should get playing time over the next 3 weeks. Injured players like you mentioned need to be shut down. Why even think about risking Tommie a more serious injury by letting him play when he is not 100%? Shut him down and let him rest to get ready for when the games matter again. Same thing for Vasher and Urlacher. Miller should get his walking papers the day after the last game, if not immediately, and the same goes for Archuleta, Metcalf, and Turner..

We will have a shot next year to compete if we make the right moves...but will the staff be too stubborn to make them? I hope not...

With Orton taking over at Quarterback it is obvious that the Bears (while not mathematically eliminated) are looking towards next season. The question is should the Bears start to take a similar route with the offensive line?

Terrance Metcalf has shown that he clearly isn't capable of being a good offensive lineman. He is a valuable backup and I'd imagine based on his minimal cap figure we will see him back next year (in a backup role) but my question is should the Bears go out and give Beekman a chance (I think he was drafted out of ISU this past year). My immediate thought is yes, however, it should only be if he is ready because if Beekman is clearly worse than Metcalf you do run the risk of making a porous offensive line even worse which will actually hurt the evaluation of Kyle Orton (which has to be the most important position that the Bears are looking at for next year, at least on the offensive side of the ball).

It will definitely be interesting to see how Lovie/Ron balances the offense (how much more do we see Wolfe) over the course of the next three games. I know I'm real excited to see what Kyle can do and to see if Wolfe/Hester can turn into some nice playmakers on offense (I've slammed Wolfe all season, but I must admit he looked shockingly solid last week).

I think the question should be Beekman or Garza?We know what Garza can or can't do and it might be wise to see if Beekman and Metcalf are worth roster spots.According to Lovie he likes the backups to learn both positions LG and RG also theres Oakley who should get a look also. I truly would like to see more of St.Clair at the expense of Miller.