Fields-O-Meter

adam

17 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

Mike Ditka willed his Bears to legendary status. The McCaskeys hated it. This is why we've hired polite and political competence ever since. if we had a Buddy Ryan, we might have been able to draft and control Jalen Carter. etc.

ditka was a terrible coach. he was a DETRIMENT rather than an asset. without buddy ryans defensive genius he would have gone nowhere even with all the HOF/pro-bowl talent jim finks drafted. jim finks left because GSH (decades past any modern NFL competence), forced ditka as the head coach on finks.

with all the talent ditka had, he let his ego, bluster and all-me attitude run this team into the ground. one superbowl with the quality talent he had to work with was criminal. throw in a complete imbecile in mike mccasky trying to play genius GM, they screwed us out of at LEAST 1-3 more superbowl rings.

jim finks and venessi sp? along with buddy ryan (a defensive genius and HORRIBLE head coach) are the reason we even won ONE superbowl. ditka was just a distraction.

if mugs halas hadn't died we never would have seen ditka in chicago.

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Seriously, the players hear that crap at the stadiums, clubs and restaurants.  Negativity is a slow destroyer of positivity.  It's demoralizing.  DJ Moore couldn't believe the fans were booing in the second quarter.  I'll also say, today's players are way too sensitive, as compared to those of the past.  It's not even close.

I do agree.  But I get it. 

Fans not only pay with hard earned dollars, but with passion, increased anger and stress levels.  But, the players get paid.  To be professionals and play.  Even a league minimum salary would place me as the highest earner in my company.  They have coaches, veteran players, psychologists, PR, etc to help these players out deal with morale.  I have a bottle of Lagavulin.  DJ Moore hasn't been here long enough to understand the decades of frustration.  Also, he or others should know, the booing isn't all on the players.  It's really on the coaching, management, and ownership.  It's one of the very few venues a fan can express dissatisfaction with a team.  I just hope they aren't a-holes about it, which we know some can be.  It's part of the deal.  You want cheers, play well.  You don't want boos, play well.  At least play hard and smart.  This town has supported effort and drive w/o results.  You can see it.  But when Claypool is out there doing jack S&*^, not caring, being dumb, fans can rightfully boo.  

But, whatever you were subjected to that rose to the level of a potential physical altercation seems way out of line.    

14 minutes ago, Lucky Luciano said:

ditka was a terrible coach. he was a DETRIMENT rather than an asset. without buddy ryans defensive genius he would have gone nowhere even with all the HOF/pro-bowl talent jim finks drafted. jim finks left because GSH (decades past any modern NFL competence), forced ditka as the head coach on finks.

with all the talent ditka had, he let his ego, bluster and all-me attitude run this team into the ground. one superbowl with the quality talent he had to work with was criminal. throw in a complete imbecile in mike mccasky trying to play genius GM, they screwed us out of at LEAST 1-3 more superbowl rings.

jim finks and venessi sp? along with buddy ryan (a defensive genius and HORRIBLE head coach) are the reason we even won ONE superbowl. ditka was just a distraction.

if mugs halas hadn't died we never would have seen ditka in chicago.

Spot on.

Though Ditka deserves credit.  Not accolades.  But it was under his watch,  If we blast jabronis like Eberflus, Trestmen, etc.  Then we must be consistent and give credit.  He was mediocre as a coach.  But his personality instilled a level of respect by fear or something else...that worked.  It was really Ryan, a healthy Jim McMahon, and the wonderful Walter Payton that won it all for us.  But, he was part of it, a big part of it too. 

You couldn't be more right about the back offices!  Finks, Vanissi, and Muggs would have been wonderful see play out...

Ditka love grew with the SNL skit and other things.  So it's become a lot of tall tales, so to speak.  But, he does deserve credit.  Out best coach ever was Halas.  The next might be Lovie...  That says a lot.

13 minutes ago, madlithuanian said:

Spot on.

Though Ditka deserves credit.  Not accolades.  But it was under his watch,  If we blast jabronis like Eberflus, Trestmen, etc.  Then we must be consistent and give credit.  He was mediocre as a coach.  But his personality instilled a level of respect by fear or something else...that worked. 

i have to respectfully disagree. he doesn't deserve credit, he just got it from the media for that ONE superbowl. if it was a fair evaluation he squandered the talent on that team with his stubborn nonsense (just ONE example... can you say flutie?).

on the defensive side the players paid absolutely no attention to ditka. it was ryans show completely. that is why they put him on their shoulders after superbowl XX. there were two head coaches there until ryan left (ryan actually hated ditka and it showed).

even jim mcmahon thought ditka was an idiot. he just had the balls to tell ditka to stuff it and do it his way. speaking of mcmahon, his attitude brought the whole team up and got them fired up more than ditka ever did (maybe a hampton exception LOL).

after XX ditka was more interested in making a dollar and making the talk shows than winning another one. he gets no credit from me.

15 minutes ago, Lucky Luciano said:

i have to respectfully disagree. he doesn't deserve credit, he just got it from the media for that ONE superbowl. if it was a fair evaluation he squandered the talent on that team with his stubborn nonsense (just ONE example... can you say flutie?).

on the defensive side the players paid absolutely no attention to ditka. it was ryans show completely. that is why they put him on their shoulders after superbowl XX. there were two head coaches there until ryan left (ryan actually hated ditka and it showed).

even jim mcmahon thought ditka was an idiot. he just had the balls to tell ditka to stuff it and do it his way. speaking of mcmahon, his attitude brought the whole team up and got them fired up more than ditka ever did (maybe a hampton exception LOL).

after XX ditka was more interested in making a dollar and making the talk shows than winning another one. he gets no credit from me.

Totally disagree.  How no credit at all be given to the HC of arguably the most entertaining and dominant Super Bowl winners of all time is beyond me.  All of the criticisms are subjective.  How about we judge results for a change?  Or do we want to keep blaming outside forces for success or failure?  Justin sucks because of coaching right?  Give me a break.

19 minutes ago, Lucky Luciano said:

PS-Buddy Ryan really tore the league up with success during his head coaching career didn’t he?  Oh yes, I forgot, that was someone else’s fault.

23 minutes ago, Daventry said:

PS-Buddy Ryan really tore the league up with success during his head coaching career didn’t he?  Oh yes, I forgot, that was someone else’s fault.

uhhh... didn't you read my previous post? you can say ANYTHING you want about ryan being a HC. he was terrible. but nobody can take away his DC ability as a freaking genius.

How no credit at all be given to the HC of arguably the most entertaining and dominant Super Bowl winners of all time is beyond me.  All of the criticisms are subjective.  How about we judge results for a change?  Or do we want to keep blaming outside forces for success or failure?  Justin sucks because of coaching right?  Give me a break.

credit for what? pounding square pegs into round holes with a sledge hammer and 'being tough'?? so what if he was a disciplinarian. ANY mediocre coach could have surpassed his accomplishments with the talent on that team. his ranting on young players on the sidelines AND in the media is no help developing players at all. his my way or the highway? it's laughable.

he might have gotten away with it with some of the strong personality vets because they knew enough just to ignore him. but young developing players? not so much.

everyone knew his main objective was the almighty dollar. how do you think that played out to a team like that? do you think some of them figured if he's doing it i might as well too? that's losing focus on what you are there for.

quite frankly he was an idiot that had no real qualifications to be an OC let alone a HC to anyone besides GSH who probably hired him because that's ALL he ever hired as coaches was former bear players or former bear coaches. plus dika probably was hire for pennies on the dollar by halas.

We dont have to debate Ditka as a coach. I think he was a great motivator, but i will agree he wasnt an Xs and Os genius.

But the point I was making is that the McCaskeys didnt ever hire a coach with a big personality after him.

Coaches like Bill Parcells, Bill Belichick, Andy Reid, Chuck Knoll, Jimmy Johnson and many others in the hall of fame willed their teams to victory. Players were afraid to cross them or perform poorly, and the right kind of players are highly motivated to perform for them.

The opposite would be coaches who try to be the players' friends, like Trestman, Nagy and Eberflus. They never have success.

I'm asking whether the ownership of this team will allow the hiring of a head coach with the fiery personality necessary to bring a culture of accountability. I suspect this is one of the root causes of our decades of continued ineptitude.

Would they hire a coach like Jim Harbaugh or Deion Sanders? I think without a strong leader who walks the walk on the accountability, you end up with a lot of talk about HITS philosophy, but the product on the field is sloppy and unfocused.

I'm also sick to death of the alternative to strong coaching. Thd idea that we are going to outsmart the entire league with new plays no one has thought of before. It's nonsense. Winning football teams pick up 3 yards on the ground when everyone in the stadium knows the run is coming. Without that, all the fancy new age crap will get you nowhere.

And if you've been watching the last 30 years, you've got to see that by now.

3 hours ago, Lucky Luciano said:

Fair enough.  We agree to disagree.  Many other coaches had all the talent in the world and couldn't get the SB win.  See early Elway w Dan Reeves, etc.  We were in the playoffs virtually every year but his last.  Again, if we lay blame at other coaches for sucking, he deserves some semblance of credit for not sucking. 

McMahon and others have talked badly of him.  No doubt.  He's no legend.  He's not great.  Maybe not even good.  But, he deserves some credit for getting it done. 

Without him, we don't truly know if we would have won it.  What I do know, is we did.  And we did in such spectacular fashion that it's still considered one of the all time great teams.  Not just great defenses.  For accomplishing that win, I will forever be thankful.  Could have been better w/ Buddy.  Also, could have been worse.  We will never know.  All I know, is it's nice.  I like it.  And I like characters.  Everyone involved in 85 virtually was a character.  Ditka, Ryan, JImmy, Walter, Danimal, Singletary, Dent, Mongo, Otis, Wilbur, Gary, Fast Willie, Butler, Suhey...  Those guys made it fun.  There's nothing fun about the current Bears.  Let me enjoy my nostalgia.  :)   If I'm pissy about our best season ever...why the F even care now?

3 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

We dont have to debate Ditka as a coach. I think he was a great motivator, but i will agree he wasnt an Xs and Os genius.

But the point I was making is that the McCaskeys didnt ever hire a coach with a big personality after him.

Coaches like Bill Parcells, Bill Belichick, Andy Reid, Chuck Knoll, Jimmy Johnson and many others in the hall of fame willed their teams to victory. Players were afraid to cross them or perform poorly, and the right kind of players are highly motivated to perform for them.

The opposite would be coaches who try to be the players' friends, like Trestman, Nagy and Eberflus. They never have success.

I'm asking whether the ownership of this team will allow the hiring of a head coach with the fiery personality necessary to bring a culture of accountability. I suspect this is one of the root causes of our decades of continued ineptitude.

Would they hire a coach like Jim Harbaugh or Deion Sanders? I think without a strong leader who walks the walk on the accountability, you end up with a lot of talk about HITS philosophy, but the product on the field is sloppy and unfocused.

I'm also sick to death of the alternative to strong coaching. Thd idea that we are going to outsmart the entire league with new plays no one has thought of before. It's nonsense. Winning football teams pick up 3 yards on the ground when everyone in the stadium knows the run is coming. Without that, all the fancy new age crap will get you nowhere.

Very good points.  I want a strong coach.  Doesn't mean he has to be a yeller.  Clint Eastwood is proof of that compared to Rowdy Roddy Piper.  Both are strong.  One's quiet, calm strength, the other all bravado.  Both can work and be successful (Roddy was great in "They Live").   :P   

4 minutes ago, madlithuanian said:

Very good points.  I want a strong coach.  Doesn't mean he has to be a yeller.  Clint Eastwood is proof of that compared to Rowdy Roddy Piper.  Both are strong.  One's quiet, calm strength, the other all bravado.  Both can work and be successful (Roddy was great in "They Live").   :P   

I agree. Doesnt have to be a yeller. But they do have to be STRONG and choose accountability over inter office politics. Someone who can say that we stunk when we stunk. Does the ownership fear this as disloyalty?

When we stink like we stunk against KC last week telling us first that the special teams did well is not the way to instill a culture of winning.

7 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

i agree with almost all  you said.

the mccaskey's have been a detriment since muggs halas died and isn't much, if any, better now. we put up with mikey for over 20 years of abject failure that dragged this team into the garbage.

i don't like harbaugh much. i think he is about half baked but if they brought him in and he wins i would support that. imo i really think he's nuts. sanders? i don't know. not enough experience as a coach yet?

whatever kind of coach we get HAS to hold the players and assistants accountable. that i do agree on. i have been touting an offensive HC for a long, long time. then trestman comes in and nagy. yikes, i don't know what to think anymore. seems like other teams get the gold and we get the shaft. ownership has really helped that case along.

by the way, nearing 60 years as a fan. butkus brought me into the nfl fold.

16 minutes ago, madlithuanian said:

Could have been better w/ Buddy.  Also, could have been worse.  We will never know.  All I know, is it's nice.  I like it.  And I like characters.  Everyone involved in 85 virtually was a character.  Ditka, Ryan, JImmy, Walter, Danimal, Singletary, Dent, Mongo, Otis, Wilbur, Gary, Fast Willie, Butler, Suhey...  Those guys made it fun.  There's nothing fun about the current Bears.  Let me enjoy my nostalgia.  :)   If I'm pissy about our best season ever...why the F even care now?

if we had hired ryan as HC it would have ended in failure like his other gigs IMO. some guys just don't cut it as HC's but make stellar co-ordinators.

i look at 85 as us winning a SB in spite of ditka. i didn't know it at the time but watching him fail for 5 straight years was enough to show me he was so over rated as a coach it wasn't funny. the crazy antics he pulled on the team post 85 was ridiculous. he was in it for the money and ego for sure in those years.

4 hours ago, Lucky Luciano said:

uhhh... didn't you read my previous post? you can say ANYTHING you want about ryan being a HC. he was terrible. but nobody can take away his DC ability as a freaking genius.

credit for what? pounding square pegs into round holes with a sledge hammer and 'being tough'?? so what if he was a disciplinarian. ANY mediocre coach could have surpassed his accomplishments with the talent on that team. his ranting on young players on the sidelines AND in the media is no help developing players at all. his my way or the highway? it's laughable.

he might have gotten away with it with some of the strong personality vets because they knew enough just to ignore him. but young developing players? not so much.

everyone knew his main objective was the almighty dollar. how do you think that played out to a team like that? do you think some of them figured if he's doing it i might as well too? that's losing focus on what you are there for.

quite frankly he was an idiot that had no real qualifications to be an OC let alone a HC to anyone besides GSH who probably hired him because that's ALL he ever hired as coaches was former bear players or former bear coaches. plus dika probably was hire for pennies on the dollar by halas.

I read your post superficially, which was more than your posts deserved.  You criticise extensively with no real facts, just your views.

I could waste my time refuting your opinions, but I have better things to do.

The results speak for themselves.  The facts are irrefutable.  

3 hours ago, Lucky Luciano said:

i agree with almost all  you said.

the mccaskey's have been a detriment since muggs halas died and isn't much, if any, better now. we put up with mikey for over 20 years of abject failure that dragged this team into the garbage.

i don't like harbaugh much. i think he is about half baked but if they brought him in and he wins i would support that. imo i really think he's nuts. sanders? i don't know. not enough experience as a coach yet?

whatever kind of coach we get HAS to hold the players and assistants accountable. that i do agree on. i have been touting an offensive HC for a long, long time. then trestman comes in and nagy. yikes, i don't know what to think anymore. seems like other teams get the gold and we get the shaft. ownership has really helped that case along.

by the way, nearing 60 years as a fan. butkus brought me into the nfl fold.

yeah, and I'm not saying Harbaugh or Sanders would be the right guy for us either. I'm just saying, i think Halas Hall is attracted to predictable "good boys" and they don't consider or court the strong leaders.

2 hours ago, Daventry said:

I read your post superficially, which was more than your posts deserved.  You criticise extensively with no real facts, just your views.

I could waste my time refuting your opinions, but I have better things to do.

The results speak for themselves.  The facts are irrefutable.  

if you don't even read it closely why waste my time and the rest of the people viewing this?

what results are refutable? he was a HC that got one superbowl ring?

real facts? of course i don't have real facts. riddle me this... how is that even possible to have facts in this discussion? it's MY opinion like it or not.

4 hours ago, Lucky Luciano said:

if we had hired ryan as HC it would have ended in failure like his other gigs IMO. some guys just don't cut it as HC's but make stellar co-ordinators.

i look at 85 as us winning a SB in spite of ditka. i didn't know it at the time but watching him fail for 5 straight years was enough to show me he was so over rated as a coach it wasn't funny. the crazy antics he pulled on the team post 85 was ridiculous. he was in it for the money and ego for sure in those years.

I also think going away form Jim McMahon and Wilbur Marshall impeded us severely.

57 minutes ago, Lucky Luciano said:

if you don't even read it closely why waste my time and the rest of the people viewing this?

what results are refutable? he was a HC that got one superbowl ring?

real facts? of course i don't have real facts. riddle me this... how is that even possible to have facts in this discussion? it's MY opinion like it 

The facts are that Ditka was the HC of arguably the best Super Bowl winning team of all time.

The list of Super Bowl winning coaches is pretty short compared to the list of people with opinions about the coaching acumen of said coaches.

The man did a lot in his life to even get to the point of being considered for a head coaching position in the NFL.  Again, the list of people who have been considered for head coaching positions is much shorter than the list of people who have opinions about football and coaches.

Mike Ditka accomplished a great deal in his life.  It wasn’t a fluke that he did so.

It is easy to have an opinion, the old saying that everyone has one springs to mind.  Criticising accomplished people and dismissing them entirely is not a reflection of reality.

37 minutes ago, madlithuanian said:

I also think going away form Jim McMahon and Wilbur Marshall impeded us severely.

McMahon was hurt a lot by the time he left the team.  The Redskins offered Marshall big money and he took it.  I wish they both would have stayed too.  That was a magical team and year.

I think Ditka is underrated as a coach. I do think it's fair to say that he isn't a cerebral Xs and Os coach. But that's for coordinators.

The HC is the pilot of the ship. He creates the culture. He makes large scale decisions.

Let me show you one example you've probably never heard.

Remember the Fridge? Everyone was talking about what he eats for breakfast etc. No one was asking the linebackers "are you the best trio of all time?" they were shielded from all that pressure by fridge talking, Ditka calling the metrodome a roller rink etc.

If you are an offensive lineman would you dig down deep to make sure you don't feel the wrath of Matt Nagy? Imagine being chewed out by Ditka. Imagine the pride of wanting play for the Bears when he was the coach.

If it's 4th and 2 and you need two yards and everyone in the building knows you're gonna run it, you get into the territory of desire. History is full of examples where invaders are at a disadvantage to people protecting their homes. In a football game both teams are protecting their homes, and the degree to which they enjoy that advantage depends on how much they buy into the culture. That's something that Poles and Eberflus understand - they talk about it - but they don't actually provide it. It takes more than knowing about it to do it. It's about energy. If Bill Cowher is your coach and his chin is halfway up his face on this down, you're gonna find more you didnt know you have.

If you rear ended Bill Parcells in 1976, and jumped out of your car to yell at him, you know you shouldnt as soon as you see his eyes. Like Frank Sinatra. A friend of mine saw him at Madison Square Garden in the 70s. He says that Frank came out on stage and suddenly 20,000 people knew they werent good enough.

There's an alpha thing. You gotta be able to dominate these players. That gives them the belief to perform.

Do the McCaskeys value that kind of person as a head coach? I dont want to get into politics, but everything they do screams collectivism and being a good team member. Will they allow a leader who is bigger than life? Someone who might also bring controversy along with his strength? Someone the players will die for?

Ditka was very good at that stuff.

Also, I should add - Ditka was excellent at this one trait I'm talking about today, but a guy like Andy Reid could coach him into a corner in terms of strategy. I don't JUST want this one thing, but Id like to see a guy who has this dominant attribute in addition to whatever fancy stuff he's trying.

11 hours ago, Daventry said:

The man did a lot in his life to even get to the point of being considered for a head coaching position in the NFL.  

what he accomplished as a player is totally deserved. he was a great player. as a coach? not so much.

Again, the list of people who have been considered for head coaching positions is much shorter than the list of people who have opinions about football and coaches.

there are dozens + of coaches considered for HC jobs that are terrible head coaches. just in recent memory coaches related to chicago... abe giibron, mike ditka, buddy ryan, dave wanstedt, dick jauron, marc tressman, matt nagy, rod marinelli. 

if not for begging halas for a job would he have ever even been considered as a HC after 9 years in dallas?  i doubt it.

if you want to judge a career you have to consider all the facts. what did he do in chicago once ryan left and the finks talent got older? what coaching talent did he bring in or recommend to management? what did he do with the new player talent that came into chicago once mcmahon and walter were gone? other than brow beat his players AND the coaches on the sidelines and in the media it was very little. then consider his career in new orleans as HC/GM. what a complete disaster that showed how really flawed this guy was as a HC and a GM.

so no, i don't think he was even a good HC let alone a great one.

It is easy to have an opinion, the old saying that everyone has one springs to mind.  Criticising accomplished people and dismissing them entirely is not a reflection of reality.

it IS a reflection on reality to make real judgements on what you actually see and hear in REAL time in real life with real people and not media hype BS or some SNL skit.

Back to Fields. My question now is, what makes the Bears keep Fields? At this point he would have to have a Josh Allen or Jalen Hurts type season for the remainder of the year for them to keep him and draft around him next year. There is no way they can pass on Caleb Williams if Fields is mediocre or just average this year. Right now he has played like one of the worst QBs in the league, so just getting to average may seem like a huge jump, but I think the only thing that would stop the Bears from drafting a QB is if Fields looks like the guy with those huge explosive runs who can also pass for 250+ yards every game consistently. Defenses needs to be on their heels, not look like they are the offense. If he can't do that, I feel like he is gone. So something like 6 wins or less and he is gone, 7-9 wins depends on if he looks elite, and 10+ he is probably safe. So things do not look good for Fields in most cases as College QBs cook all over the place.