Fields-O-Meter

adam

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess is the media department doesnt know anything about what Poles might do re: Justin. They probably just react to the demand for cool Justin social media stuff.

An interesting question is whether Poles should care what the media department is doing. On one hand, you dont want any action you take to tip your hand, but on the other it potentially gives really mixed messages if you're gonna move on from him.

Then again, so does hugging him in the locker room. I still don't understand how you can do that as a GM.

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

Any publicity is good publicity.  It portrays the confidence we have in him to potential suitors, giving us more leverage.  If he stays, it portrays the same confidence to the team, Justin and the fans. Win win...

I think any way they go they should praise Fields, it's real or it raises the price tag in a trade.

27 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

My guess is the media department doesnt know anything about what Poles might do re: Justin. They probably just react to the demand for cool Justin social media stuff.

An interesting question is whether Poles should care what the media department is doing. On one hand, you dont want any action you take to tip your hand, but on the other it potentially gives really mixed messages if you're gonna move on from him.

Then again, so does hugging him in the locker room. I still don't understand how you can do that as a GM.

For the company I work for, every external communication is approved. It may not necessarily need to be approved by the CEO, but they will know about it because if something is posted, like say about a positive quarter in revenue, they may get asked about it. The last thing they want is to be blindsided. 

38 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

LOL, there you go again. You are obsessed with him hugging Fields. I'm sure owners, HCs, Coaches, (probably janitors, equipment techs, and any kid in the vicinity), and I'm sure some GMs give players a hug. It's really no more than a warm handshake, up close and more personal. 😉 

So let's put a conspirator's twist on his hugging Fields (noting he didn't give him a kiss with tongue, grab him by the balls or play with his ass). Opposing GMs see him hugging Fields and the cost for trading for him goes from a 2nd round pick to a 1st round pick because they realize Poles really does LOVE his QB. LOL

30 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

I think if he has a personal relationship with him, why wouldn't he? It may well be a subtle action that means he's not going anywhere. GMs aren't robots or have to be politically correct in anyway. People get to do what they want.

1 hour ago, Pixote said:

Opposing GMs see him hugging Fields and the cost for trading for him goes from a 2nd round pick to a 1st round pick because they realize Poles really does LOVE his QB. LOL

there is merit to this point for sure. But only if Poles is a cold calculating two faced poker player. And if he is, man do we have the right guy!

But if on the other hand, the young former player wants to be part of the team, loved by the players,  share in the glory of a regular season victory in a losing season, then he is getting high on his own supply and will be less able to cut and trade players because of loyalty and and wanting to belong as a part of the team?

If Poles cuts or trades Fields this year, then I will know that even if I'm right about the psychology of this, that Poles can still separate himself from the influence when decision making time comes, and that will put my concern to rest. i think I see evidence that it may have played into keeping Eberflus, but if we move on from Fields, then I'll think that Poles shuts out this possible internal noise when he makes the decision.

Now if he keeps Fields it doesn't PROVE me right about this of course, but I personally will think it's an issue.

5 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I think if he has a personal relationship with him, why wouldn't he? It may well be a subtle action that means he's not going anywhere. GMs aren't robots or have to be politically correct in anyway. People get to do what they want.

We know Warren made a point of going to Justin’s graduation last year.  And are quite familiar with one another from the Big 10.  Justin was one of the strongest voices to convince Warren to let the Big 10 play games during COVID.  

And this thing with Poles hugging players in the locker room?  Take a look at the GM candidate of the year Brad Holmes (with the Lions) while he hangs out in the locker room.  (He’s in the green jacket with his back to us).  Believe the player is olineman Penei Sewell.  

IMG_6446.jpeg

when you win a big playoff game its one thing, when you win a regular season game in a season you went 7-10?

Also he's not going into a season where the fate of the guy he is hugging is hanging by a thread?

Justin was definitely a hero in my eyes for what he did about COVID

10 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

when you win a big playoff game its one thing, when you win a regular season game in a season you went 7-10?

Also he's not going into a season where the fate of the guy he is hugging is hanging by a thread?

Justin was definitely a hero in my eyes for what he did about COVID

This is bullshit. Old bullshit.  The hugging and high fiving go on with every team.  You've been given multiple examples of it happening and you continue with the inane.  Whether you realize it or not the GM is part of the team.  Why wouldn't he want to share his joy with his team.  It's a business he and Justin fully understand.  Insinuating Poles is compromised because of a hug is utterly ridiculous.

38 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

This is bullshit. Old bullshit.  The hugging and high fiving go on with every team.  You've been given multiple examples of it happening and you continue with the inane.  Whether you realize it or not the GM is part of the team.  Why wouldn't he want to share his joy with his team.  It's a business he and Justin fully understand.  Insinuating Poles is compromised because of a hug is utterly ridiculous.

we'll see if Poles can cut or trade people. Its my opinion.

Also I didnt call anyone here inane or their opinions inane, only the constant use of anecdotal evidence - that argument itself inane.

I am not using anecdotal evidence here to predict anything. Im not say for example "look in 1983, some guy hugged his team and then something bad happened therefore it will again."

This is just my opinion that Poles isnt maintaining the proper emotional distance that he should to make decisions about these guys, in my view. Youre free to disagree, but neither of our opinions are inane - that itself would be an opinion.

Saying that you rolled some chicken bones and they predict an outcome would be inane for example. Not because the outcome itself isnt possible, but because the chicken bones cant predict the future?

17 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

Also I didnt call anyone here inane or their opinions inane, only the constant use of anecdotal evidence - that argument itself inane.

Since most all GM's and/or owners do it, how can you single out only one?  Sorry brother, but THAT is inane.  I've actually never used the word, but you did it so much it amused me.

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

I am not using anecdotal evidence here to predict anything. Im not say for example "look in 1983, some guy hugged his team and then something bad happened therefore it will again."

This is just my opinion that Poles isnt maintaining the proper emotional distance that he should to make decisions about these guys, in my view. Youre free to disagree, but neither of our opinions are inane - that itself would be an opinion.

Saying that you rolled some chicken bones and they predict an outcome would be inane for example. Not because the outcome itself isnt possible, but because the chicken bones cant predict the future?

With all that is going on with the Bears this season, you keep letting this bother you, I don't get it. You praise Poles on some things and then condemn him on hugging someone who you don't like, so it's inappropriate? If there was a video of him hugging DJ Moore, you would be saying what a down to earth GM he is for bonding with his team.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

With all that is going on with the Bears this season, you keep letting this bother you, I don't get it. You praise Poles on some things and then condemn him on hugging someone who you don't like, so it's inappropriate? If there was a video of him hugging DJ Moore, you would be saying what a down to earth GM he is for bonding with his team.

That's because I dont think like you that someone is all good or all bad. I talk about the different aspects of them.

That is, for example, why you never remember me saying all the good things I said about Justin.

Im not an all or nothing kind of person. I praise the good stuff and condemn the bad stuff. i think for myself, and therefore i have opinions that arent always in sync with the narratives. I see that makes people angry. Cant help it. I can only say what i truly think and feel.

You keep thinking this is a personal vendetta of mine against Justin - and that he somehow needs you to defend his feelings from me - but no, I LOVE DJ Moore as a player and I still dont want the GM hanging out trying to be part of the guys, its not who he hugs, it's just that he wants to be liked so bad by the players.

If you win a big playoff game, then sure. But if its a regular season win in a losing season and youre hugging the guy youre supposed to be harshly critiquing to decide what to do with his future - it seems like a conflict, and frankly it seems weak and needy to me.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking at some additional stats. There were 40 QBs to have 50+ passing attempts in 4th quarter this season. Here is where Fields ranked amongst those 40:

4th Quarter Splits (QB w/ 50+ attempts, 40 QBs):

QB Rating: 39th (53.4)
Comp %: 39th (51.1%)
Y/A: 31st (6.0)
TD%: 29th (3.3%)
INT%: 39th (6.5%)
Sack%: 32nd (10.9%)

Fields was so bad in the 4th quarter that it would've been better to rush on every play than to attempt a single pass. 1 out of every 6 pass plays ended in a sack or INT. 62% of his dropbacks were a negative play. It really is absolutely ugly. This is what it looks like when teams forced him to be a passer.

He was in a group of QBs that included Zappe, Siemian, Trubsiky, O'Connell, Wilson, Mullens, and Howell. Would you take any of those QBs over drafting a QB?

8 minutes ago, adam said:

Looking at some additional stats. There were 40 QBs to have 50+ passing attempts in 4th quarter this season. Here is where Fields ranked amongst those 40:

4th Quarter Splits (QB w/ 50+ attempts, 40 QBs):

QB Rating: 39th (53.4)
Comp %: 39th (51.1%)
Y/A: 31st (6.0)
TD%: 29th (3.3%)
INT%: 39th (6.5%)
Sack%: 32nd (10.9%)

Fields was so bad in the 4th quarter that it would've been better to rush on every play than to attempt a single pass. 1 out of every 6 pass plays ended in a sack or INT. 62% of his dropbacks were a negative play. It really is absolutely ugly. This is what it looks like when teams forced him to be a passer.

He was in a group of QBs that included Zappe, Siemian, Trubsiky, O'Connell, Wilson, Mullens, and Howell. Would you take any of those QBs over drafting a QB?

This is my point - great players elevate their game. Don't give me all this nonsense of what he had around him. He played at his worse when the game was on the line.  

1 minute ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

This is my point - great players elevate their game. Don't give me all this nonsense of what he had around him. He played at his worse when the game was on the line.  

What is wild about this is Purdy had the best 4th Quarter stats: 123.8 QB Rating, 10 TD, 3 INT, 10.3 Y/A in the regular season while Mahomes struggled with a 71.7 QB Rating, 4 TD, 3 INT, 5.4 Y/A. Super wild. 

1 hour ago, adam said:

What is wild about this is Purdy had the best 4th Quarter stats: 123.8 QB Rating, 10 TD, 3 INT, 10.3 Y/A in the regular season while Mahomes struggled with a 71.7 QB Rating, 4 TD, 3 INT, 5.4 Y/A. Super wild. 

And in the superbowl - Purdy led a drive in 4th quarter and OT that put his team up

58 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

And in the superbowl - Purdy led a drive in 4th quarter and OT that put his team up

and we haven't had anyone do that since Cutler. Mitch rarely did it, every time we were down and we were getting the ball back with 2 minutes left, we almost already knew the outcome. A loss. I had the same feeling with Fields. He was pretty good in the 3rd quarter, but once crunch time came, he fell off the map.

3 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

exactly.