Fields-O-Meter

adam

Fields has 17 games to prove that he is H1M. I feel like he needs to show that in at least 75% of the games, or show some progress in those games.

Right now he is 0/1, 0.0% on the season. He still has a lot of season left, but getting down 0/2 would be a big hole to dig out from.

Every game that he starts, he basically sets a new record of futility at that amount of games started. 

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

LAST YEAR WE BEAT SF AND HAD HIGH EXPECTATIONS. (FINISHED 3-14) THIS YEAR BIG DISAPPOINT (0-1) THE FIRST GAME DOESNT DICTATE A SEASON.

You are correct, it is a 17 game season. We have our first status check. Now we go up from here. The next game should be better, and I bet it will be.

Someone told me PFF rated Fields above Love in the game.  I actually had to think back - but I wasn't very displeased with Fields in 1H.  I was very upset in 2H but the pocket was non-existent at that point.  So yes, he should have made plays. Either way - I think we are all in agreement, slight progress during the season isn't enough - we need to see a major leap forward to continue to move on with Fields.  

43 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Someone told me PFF rated Fields above Love in the game.

PFF, at best, is completely random. Time and time again they pronounce things are true that anyone watching the game can see are not even close to being true.

I want to see us succeed this year. I have hope that we can turn things around, but whether we are great or terrible, PFF is random.

I don't know who's fault it is.. Fields, coaching.. whatever.. But it just doesn't change.  What they put out there Sunday was the same crap that we've seen before, it doesn't look any different.  They pump you full of this hope all off season and camp, and boom. Nothing.  I rather the just put Bagent out there, then when we lose and least we know why and have zero expectations.

4 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Someone told me PFF rated Fields above Love in the game.  I actually had to think back - but I wasn't very displeased with Fields in 1H.  I was very upset in 2H but the pocket was non-existent at that point.  So yes, he should have made plays. Either way - I think we are all in agreement, slight progress during the season isn't enough - we need to see a major leap forward to continue to move on with Fields.  

Yeah 60.9 to 60.8. Love was not good, 4 completions accounted for 153 yds, with 92 on the other 11 completions. Aaron Jones 2 huge completions, Musgrave's blown coverage that Love under threw, and one to Reed. He had 27 attempts, and out of all of those, probably had 3-4 good throws, 10 average throws, and 10 bad throws with a few turnover worthy. The issue with Love is he was bad even with no pressure. 

8 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

PFF, at best, is completely random. Time and time again they pronounce things are true that anyone watching the game can see are not even close to being true.

I want to see us succeed this year. I have hope that we can turn things around, but whether we are great or terrible, PFF is random.

Preach. I'm so sick of hearing about PFF. Their stats are trash, and often don't match the actual game that you see with your own eyes. PFF is the type of organization that suits the phrase, "Don't piss on me and tell me it's raining."

11 hours ago, jason said:

Preach. I'm so sick of hearing about PFF. Their stats are trash, and often don't match the actual game that you see with your own eyes. PFF is the type of organization that suits the phrase, "Don't piss on me and tell me it's raining."

PFF is not useful on its own. For a QB, if you use QBR, DVOA, and PFF, and come up with a composite score, it is much more accurate than any one of those on its own.

Here are 5 major QB evaluation scores from different sites, ranked from high to low:

nfelo - 18th
PFF - 20th
QB Rating - 21st
DVOA - 23rd
QBR - 24th

Composite - 21.2 

The funny part is the oldest and most basic rating, QB Rating was the most accurate and closest to the average score. Surprising to see PFF rate Fields higher than the average. I figured he needed to end up between 10-15 this year to see real progress. However, thru one week, his ranking for most of these is better than he ended last season.

1 hour ago, adam said:

Here are 5 major QB evaluation scores from different sites, ranked from high to low:

nfelo - 18th
PFF - 20th
QB Rating - 21st
DVOA - 23rd
QBR - 24th

Composite - 21.2 

The funny part is the oldest and most basic rating, QB Rating was the most accurate and closest to the average score. Surprising to see PFF rate Fields higher than the average. I figured he needed to end up between 10-15 this year to see real progress. However, thru one week, his ranking for most of these is better than he ended last season.

The team let him down more so than he.  He does deserve blame, but the oline looked bad against the packs pressure.  He needs to be quicker and ready to throw.

After game two, another dud for Fields.

He threw 2 INTs, 1 pick-6 (2 weeks in a row), took 6 sacks.  He had 3 yards rushing on 4 carries. 

Just in case you guys weren't watching, CJ Stroud threw for 384 yards with 2 TDs and 0 INT. Fields hasn't broken 300 yards in his entire career.  Stroud was throwing to Nico Collins, Robert Woods, and Tank Dell. 

Fields is Blaine Gabbert. He has not moved off that projection. With 2 INTs and 1 TD, he is even closer to it now. 

Couldn't get the game at home so we went to a local spot.  Several times, fellow Bears fans were imploring Justin to throw the damn ball.  He is simply too damn nonchalant.  It should be 123 throw or 123 switch then throw, then run or throw away.  At least 4 of the sacks were on Justin today.  He would actually be better if they, simply, told him who to throw to every play.

I need to keep remembering that we have 2 1st round picks if Fields fails, there is still time. As Adam said 

we have 17 games to prove himself (not two). 

Caleb Williams is suppose to be the best QB since Burrow came out. 

Projected 2 of the worst teams in the league already have their franchise QBs , Houston and Indy . We have Panthers pick. AZ paid Murray big money (are they going to bail?) and TB and Tenn are 2-0. We have a shot.

Last year the  Lions were 1-6 at the beginning of the yr before they went on a 8-2 run. When does it happen to us? We only have 4 games against playoff teams in 15 more games and 2 are against the Vikings. The season is not quite lost yet.

45 minutes ago, adam said:

Fields on pace for 3,630 passing yards (if he plays 17 games). It would be the highest total for a passer since Cutler in 2015 and only 208 yards short of the franchise record set in 1995 by Erik Kramer (3,838). 

that stat is shocking. both because he has a legitimate shot at something accomplished like that, and because it takes so little to get there. our franchise has been snake bit for a long time at QB.

I need to keep remembering that we have 2 1st round picks if Fields fails, there is still time. As Adam said 

we have 17 games to prove himself (not two). 

Caleb Williams is suppose to be the best QB since Burrow came out. 

Projected 2 of the worst teams in the league already have their franchise QBs , Houston and Indy . We have Panthers pick. AZ paid Murray big money (are they going to bail?) and TB and Tenn are 2-0. We have a shot.

Last year the  Lions were 1-6 at the beginning of the yr before they went on a 8-2 run. When does it happen to us? We only have 4 games against playoff teams in 15 more games and 2 are against the Vikings. The season is not quite lost yet.

It looks like his 0/2.  Only 15 more game to prove himself.  At a 75% positivity rate, he need to look good in 13 of those 15 remaining games.  The odds don't appear to be in his favor.

Caleb looks great.  So does Sanders.  Landing either of those 2 if JF1 doesn't pan out, would be a good place to be.  (Honestly, I wouldn't even mind of Sanders' dad came along to be HC if we drafted him.)

Arizona will draft a QB, money be damned. 

We do have options after this season. 

Here is a experts take on Fields-game 2.

Good analysis.  From what I saw in this video, Getsy was calling plays to try and help Justin.  IE: Right after he 'got blasted two times in a row' he called a quick release play to try and help him not have to read the field too long.  Even earlier on when you saw some of the plays develop Justin should have hit the receiver the design was there for him to succeed.  So I'm more hesitant to blame all of this on playcalling.

However  I would say as much as Justin is to blame for a lot of the miscues there were a few times highlighted in this that the supporting cast didn't do their part either.  Kmet's drop on the sideline and Claypool not executing his break as examples of that.

For whatever reason Justin came out early and played well but became blinded after the first series.  I would agree to some level that he is regressing which to me is a HUGE disappointment.  I also agree with this analyst's view that a change (probably at QB) is coming soon.  As the old saying goes, the Chicago fans favorite QB is the backup QB.  

13 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Because it’s doomsday Monday, I found an entertaining X-Tweet (below).  Turns out he’s 16th overall in passing yards, *but tied for second with 5 other QBs for INTs - Josh Allen among them.  

IMG_5602.jpeg

3 of the 4 QBs are 2-0 and haven't needed to throw very much. Lawrence is 1-1 and lost to KC. Burrow is playing hurt and it shows. 

At this time, there are no numbers that support Fields being good, or even average. Every metric, including the eye test, says he is playing like a bottom 5 QB. 

The only hope is that due to offseason rules, that these first two weeks are the last two weeks of preseason, and now with 2 games under their belts that we can see improvement across the board. However, that applies to all teams, so if the Bears can improve, so can every other team in the league. 

My theory into why Fields is struggling this season: teams have adjusted with a full season of tape and offseason to prepare. So they will not give him man coverage or the same look pre and post snap. They bring more pressure, and they have worked on contain. So even if Fields has improved, the Bears added Moore, the result is net zero because defenses have improved on how they defend Fields. If he can't adapt from here, he will never be a starter in this league. He just can't beat zone.