Thoughts on this comment by Bradshaw

OmahaBear

2 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Washington just lost 37-3 with Sam Howell going 19/29 170 yards and 4 ints. Is he the answer?

Terry Bradshaw needs to retire and go away, his time has passed.

Agreed, but even he sees the obvious mess that is our coaching staff. Fields MAYBE can be fixed, but definitely NOT with the coaches we've got now.

"no QB in this draft is better than Justin Fields"

two points:

1) no HC in the NFL would choose Fields over Caleb Williams if they were taking over a team next year

2) no QB in NFL history with 20+ starts has worse stats than Justin Fields.

If we roll with Eberflus and Fields next year, I will find another team to watch. I dont know how I'd do that. It seems impossible, but this is 100% unacceptable. And if you understand that Flus and Fields need to be gone, then it's time to start thinking about when the best time to do that is, and how to get an early start on the right new coach.

We used to be the Bears, and that was bad enough, but with back to back #1 picks, we are becoming the Browns. It's not a hard decision. It's not like we are 8-9.

Blow it all up now. Don't drag it on like we did with Nagy and Pace.

55 minutes ago, OmahaBear said:

Would Bienemy be able to fix this shit show. 

There are many experts who say the opposite. Well - maybe I won't say the opposite, but who literally say they don't know what you could call that Fields would execute well - other than building literally a unique once in 20 year offense around him. And I guess the question is - should you do that for Fields, I don't know, but what I do know - there isn't a modern NFL offense that Fields would look good in.  He has 2 years and a few games of film on him - the dude just can't execute basic and intermediate looks in the passing game.  

Something to think about. Viking are 0-3 with the leading sacker in the league, Danielle Hunter; top QB in passing yards, Kurt Cousins; Leading WR in the league, Jefferson. Kevin O'Connel was an OC from the Rams that won 12 games his first year.

Its about changing the whole roster over 3-4 years, so Poles might still be on the right path, we just havent seen the results of that 3-4 year rebuild. Viking have everything we hope for and they are 0-3 also. Its a complicated formula to be a consistent winning team. 

As a long time Bears fan that has seen bad for most my fandom, i need to find patience for 1 more year. Dont know how I will do that at this moment in time.

21 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

"no QB in this draft is better than Justin Fields"

two points:

1) no HC in the NFL would choose Fields over Caleb Williams if they were taking over a team next year

2) no QB in NFL history with 20+ starts has worse stats than Justin Fields.

If we roll with Eberflus and Fields next year, I will find another team to watch. I dont know how I'd do that. It seems impossible, but this is 100% unacceptable. And if you understand that Flus and Fields need to be gone, then it's time to start thinking about when the best time to do that is, and how to get an early start on the right new coach.

We used to be the Bears, and that was bad enough, but with back to back #1 picks, we are becoming the Browns. It's not a hard decision. It's not like we are 8-9.

Blow it all up now. Don't drag it on like we did with Nagy and Pace.

The real question to me is - is there a young development QB this team could acquire and give a chance to or a potential reclamation project (purely so you can actually assess your skill position talent, etc).  Or at what point do you bench him and give Bagent a chance (not saying he will be any good - but if he does better, but if I were Flus/Getsy, at some point I'm clammoring for someone to at least make me look somewhat competent out there. 

I am not stating Getsy/Flus are good either - but I have zero doubt, Fields is clearly NOT it.

27 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

The real question to me is - is there a young development QB this team could acquire and give a chance to or a potential reclamation project (purely so you can actually assess your skill position talent, etc).  Or at what point do you bench him and give Bagent a chance (not saying he will be any good - but if he does better, but if I were Flus/Getsy, at some point I'm clammoring for someone to at least make me look somewhat competent out there. 

I am not stating Getsy/Flus are good either - but I have zero doubt, Fields is clearly NOT it.

Nah, there's no path to redemption this year with any QB available to us. Bagent is cool, but I dont think he is the right long term answer. I think you have to look at a top pick in the 2024 draft to address this.

55 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Something to think about. Viking are 0-3 with the leading sacker in the league, Danielle Hunter; top QB in passing yards, Kurt Cousins; Leading WR in the league, Jefferson. Kevin O'Connel was an OC from the Rams that won 12 games his first year.

I saw a funny Tweet earlier that highlighted Cousins' stats that said something like 'at the rate Cousins is going he'll have ~5,000 yards passing, 35 TDs, 12 INTs and be 0-17 this year'. 

28 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

I think you have to look at a top pick in the 2024 draft to address this.

Here we go again with drafting the next QB in line.  When Trubisky was drafted there were several that thought it a great draft FINALLY they had found a franchise QB they could get behind (he even backed it up with a *Pro Bowl appearance his sophomore year) then the wheels came off. So they 'fixed their mistake' by picking the next guy (again not a Poles pick...but a Poles "commitment").  Fields was and IS a talented player, with that Terry is absolutely right.  

As an aside, why is it that the Bears can't seem to EVER get the QB position figured out?  Cutler seemed to be the fix and looking back, man was he good...in comparison to what we've seen since.  

Anyhow, I truly think the issue with Justin currently is he's not being utilized right.  Yes he's gone backwards since getting drafted but whose to blame for that?  I would imagine if he hasn't already Adam could show how his stats have stacked up since he 'first became a starter' until now.  Something tells me he looked better during Nagy's last year that he has the last two.  

If we think drafting Caleb Williams next will fix all this...we are kidding ourselves.  

3 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Anyhow, I truly think the issue with Justin currently is he's not being utilized right.  Yes he's gone backwards since getting drafted but whose to blame for that?  I would imagine if he hasn't already Adam could show how his stats have stacked up since he 'first became a starter' until now.  Something tells me he looked better during Nagy's last year that he has the last two.  

If we think drafting Caleb Williams next will fix all this...we are kidding ourselves.  

imDo, Fields will never be a good NFL QB. He is not a passer, does not see the game, waits too long, cannot make fast decisions with the ball. And, as a 60 year fan of the Bears, if we keep the coaches as they are and Poles can't get a proactive offensive-minded coach, only drafting Jesus himself would get us over the hump.

59 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I saw a funny Tweet earlier that highlighted Cousins' stats that said something like 'at the rate Cousins is going he'll have ~5,000 yards passing, 35 TDs, 12 INTs and be 0-17 this year'. 

The question is - if you are the Vikings, if the Jets offer you a 1st rounder plus, do you do it and just tank for Williams plus get more draft capital.  

Fields is not an NFL QB. It's not that he isn't being used right, it's that he cant find open receivers and throw them the ball in tempo.

Trubisky was picked based on what he could become, but only had 19 games in college.

I dont think you can use those two as a reason for passing on Caleb Williams. I do think you need to fire this staff and not let them near Caleb.

22 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

Fields is not an NFL QB. It's not that he isn't being used right, it's that he cant find open receivers and throw them the ball in tempo.

Trubisky was picked based on what he could become, but only had 19 games in college.

I dont think you can use those two as a reason for passing on Caleb Williams. I do think you need to fire this staff and not let them near Caleb.

The bright side with Caleb is - presuming he stays healthy (obviously an IF), he will have 2 full seasons at USC plus a partial season at Oklahoma. That is a lot more experience than Trubisky and with a ton of good tape. He is also coming from a system where QB's have at least had milding NFL success (i.e., Baker Mayfield and/or Kyler Murray).  We also have seen Jalen Hurts put some time in that system and emerge.  So I do believe Williams will be better positioned than say Fields to succeed.  

Trubisky's issue was he was limited in experience and when you are that limited and asked to learn in the NFL, it just becomes too difficult to overcome.  Fields limitations are, in college the talent he was around and his sheer athleticism allowed him to dominant and he had a ton of experience, however the game film would indicate that he NEVER improved as a passer. When he got to the NFL - this was actually a guy who HADN'T developed in a few years of combined experience at Georgia/OSU.  He than got to the NFL and has continued to NOT develop as a passer.  He is what he is - a really good dude, with strong characteristics and mammoth physical tools, but with significant deficiencies in critical areas around reading defenses and throwing guys open, etc.  Those are things that never improved and which at this point - he basically has 5 years of being the exact same guy, with the big difference being, in the NFL, you have to not just make, but also read and deliver tight pocket throws.  I actually think Fields can make them - the problem is, he won't take 7 out of the 10 he should, which really puts the offense behind the 8 ball.  

28 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

you have to not just make, but also read and deliver tight pocket throws.  I actually think Fields can make them - the problem is, he won't take 7 out of the 10 he should, which really puts the offense behind the 8 ball.  

I don't think he can.  His release is way too slow and it's a low release point.  He gives the DL too much time to get a good luck on the ball for batting balls down.  And two tenths of a second is an eternity for DB's.

Another odd thing is even in a hurry up tempo, everything seems slow. Fields rarely can get to the line, call a play, and hike the ball. The Bears have been in a lot of 2min offenses while losing, and the pace of everything is too slow. It may be slightly faster than normal, but the entire operation seems slower due to Fields. 

Fields may know the right answer, but it takes him a few seconds to answer the question, whereas in the NFL you have to answer the question immediately.

I have further thoughts on Justin I’ll continue with later BUT… many here predicted AT BEST the team would win 6-7 games.  We all agree there’s still a rebuild in progress and after three weeks both the Oline and defensive backfield are down to third stringers in some cases.  IF the team still manages to win 6-7 games (as you predicted) then what?  

32 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I have further thoughts on Justin I’ll continue with later BUT… many here predicted AT BEST the team would win 6-7 games.  We all agree there’s still a rebuild in progress and after three weeks both the Oline and defensive backfield are down to third stringers in some cases.  IF the team still manages to win 6-7 games (as you predicted) then what?  

Winning 6-7 would be a miracle at this point. With 14 games left, getting 7 wins puts them at 7-7, and 6 wins at 6-8 for the remaining games. Based on the last 20 games, that outcome is really hard to see. I am thinking 2-3 wins is the new target.

3 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

The question is - if you are the Vikings, if the Jets offer you a 1st rounder plus, do you do it and just tank for Williams plus get more draft capital.  

No the question is if you are the Bears would you trade Justin to the Jets for a future first round pick?   

Fields reminds me of a 13 year old cleaning their room. They go half speed and you tell them to get some pep and they literally dont know what you mean. They do not have that sense of urgency.

To me, Fields is the same, from monotone press conferences to slow footwork on his drops. He doesnt have a faster gear. And that extra half a second is the difference between success and failure in the NFL. Now add a little indeciveness and an extra 2 tenths of a second to pat the ball and youve got a real problem.

Fields has ALL the physical tools. He just doesnt know how to play QB in rhythm.

2 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Why would the Jets acquire a QB who is just as bad as Zach Wilson, let alone give up a future first. If that was on the table - I will personally pack Fields bags.  

Right now.  Fields might be worth less than Trey Lance.  Fields has more tape, so more flaws to see.  I would draft his replacement and hold on to him until his contract expires. He can compete against his replacement. That might wake him.

28 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Why would the Jets acquire a QB who is just as bad as Zach Wilson, let alone give up a future first. If that was on the table - I will personally pack Fields bags.  

No one is trading a 1st for Fields, Lance was traded for a 4th. That would be the max comp for Fields as he has shown he is worse than Lance.

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

No the question is if you are the Bears would you trade Justin to the Jets for a future first round pick?   

Id ship him off for a second rounder in a heartbeat - truth is Id take whatever i could get.

11 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

Id ship him off for a second rounder in a heartbeat - truth is Id take whatever i could get.

Me too at this point. He has built bad habits for 25+ NFL starts, the other QBs that he was comp'd with showed a drastic turnaround early in Year 3, and he has shown regression. If he doesn't do any amazing scrambles, he looks like a bottom 5 QB that should not be starting in the NFL.

The only other option is to make him the backup QB and gadget player like Taysom Hill. Fields is so dynamic as a runner that if they don't use that 75% of the time, it is a waste of athleticism.  He is a gifted athlete, not a gifted QB. Watching him now, he looks like he is in the wrong position, like putting a Power Forward at Point Guard. Can they do it? Sure, and some can do it well, but the operation looks clunky. That is Fields.