Week 6 Official Game Thread - MIN @ CHI, SUN 10/15, Noon, FOX, Bears +3, O/U 46.5

adam

2 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

I think Poles is doing OK. We started with nothing, and I think the 2024 roster will be tight.

The rest? You know I agree 100%.

I am still not sold. Seattle did a similar thing when Carroll first got there and turned over the entire roster in 2 years. It's not like the roster will change (besides deadline trades) before the end of the year, so this is the same team after 2 years. A dip was expected last year, but this year there should be visible improvement and we have seen that for maybe 3 quarters out of the last 24. 

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, adam said:

I am still not sold. Seattle did a similar thing when Carroll first got there and turned over the entire roster in 2 years. It's not like the roster will change (besides deadline trades) before the end of the year, so this is the same team after 2 years. A dip was expected last year, but this year there should be visible improvement and we have seen that for maybe 3 quarters out of the last 24. 

and as much as I hate to say it, Poles almost traded 3 first rounders for Russell Wilson. SO glad that didn't happen.

1 minute ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

He is Brock Purdy 2.0  if they can give him better protection.  

Give Fields better protection and decent play calling and he might be able to thrive. 

We would be able to address the holes in our starting O and D, then become a legitimate team. 

I would rather strengthen the team in the 2024 draft and free agency. Then if you are right that Fields is terrible we will have a strong roster to draft a high first round QB in 2025. 

3 minutes ago, 50england50 said:

Give Fields better protection and decent play calling and he might be able to thrive. 

We would be able to address the holes in our starting O and D, then become a legitimate team. 

I would rather strengthen the team in the 2024 draft and free agency. Then if you are right that Fields is terrible we will have a strong roster to draft a high first round QB in 2025. 

I hear you, but Bagent got the same things Fields did today, and you could feel the difference in timing. Fields is too slow, he doesnt know where his WRs are. Bagent has vision and a fast release. I dunno if Bagent is the guy moving forward, it will take a greater sample size, but it shows glaringly how bad Fields is as a passer.

If Bagent hadnt been hit as he threw, that was the winning touchdown to Moore too.

2 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

I hear you, but Bagent got the same things Fields did today, and you could feel the difference in timing. Fields is too slow, he doesnt know where his WRs are. Bagent has vision and a fast release. I dunno if Bagent is the guy moving forward, it will take a greater sample size, but it shows glaringly how bad Fields is as a passer.

Exactly.  How much longer does Fields get to be consistently good?  Let’s move on, play Bagent and look to the draft and FA to continue to build.

An injury may derail any progress Fields may have  had this year, and then clearly we will draft a QB in the next draft. Poles doesnt owe Fields anything, he has the rest of the year to fail or improve. Bagent may prove to have some value, but 2 TOs in your first game aint a good start.

9 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

You're right,  Caleb Williams threw in rhythm last night 

23/37 199 5.4 1 3   55.7

and looked great doing it. Do you do online football watching classes? do you take credit cards?

calm down (again)

2 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

An injury may derail any progress Fields may have  had this year, and then clearly we will draft a QB in the next draft. Poles doesnt owe Fields anything, he has the rest of the year to fail or improve. Bagent may prove to have some value, but 2 TOs in your first game aint a good start.

Getting thrown to the wolves is never a good place to be for a rookie backup. Let's now see what he can do with a week of prep as QB1. If he struggles against LVR, then we will have a better idea of the source of the problem. 

4 minutes ago, Daventry said:

How many years has Bagent had?  Vs how many years JF has had.

What has JF had for a team for him to develop.  They address the oline, but that goes down with injury and whatnot. 

They bring in Moore and Claypool, then claypool gone so it's Moore and undersized speed guys. 

Little to no preseason experience to get game ready.  

Bring in Caleb Williams, if he wants to come here to die like all QBs do.  He knows this franchise loves their backups more than their starters so he will be hated soon.  Orton, McCown, and now Bagent are the answers.

4 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

What has JF had for a team for him to develop.  They address the oline, but that goes down with injury and whatnot. 

They bring in Moore and Claypool, then claypool gone so it's Moore and undersized speed guys. 

Little to no preseason experience to get game ready.  

Bring in Caleb Williams, if he wants to come here to die like all QBs do.  He knows this franchise loves their backups more than their starters so he will be hated soon.  Orton, McCown, and now Bagent are the answers.

Why waste another high pick on a QB when we need a LT and C and several players on the DL that give us a serious QB pressure rushing 4 players. 

5 minutes ago, 50england50 said:

Why waste another high pick on a QB when we need a LT and C and several players on the DL that give us a serious QB pressure rushing 4 players. 

So I have no crystal ball on Caleb Williams or any of the other QBs. Predicting NFL success at that position is difficult for the professionals who spend all day doing it. So I admit that.

And your point about needing more on the Offensive and Defensive lines is well made. Youre right. Without consistent pass pressure, it's hard to beat good teams. We all knew this in preseason. And its glaring. We need a star pass rusher.

But you seldom get a chance at a top pick to get that QB, and we have other picks, including a second first rounder, and whatever you get for Fields, and a lot of cap room coming to address those positions too. We can do both!

It is easy to see a defense that is getting better a little bit every game, take those TDs away from the TOs and the defense played okay.

The OL played better last week and couldnt handle the blitz today(some could be line calls, coaching) so our offense struggled. Until we either upgrade or get hurt players back, we are going to struggle. Whitehair was bad today, he will be gone after this year. 

Probably with a Brock Purdy type QB , we wont have anymore OL struggles. OLines dont have to block when your QB has rhythm.

8 minutes ago, 50england50 said:

I agree with that.  The Bears need more in the trenches.  Center has been a huge need for a while, we really need a great LT, a larger WR target, and a Dline that gives the back 7 more to work with.  The coaching just doesn't do it either, so a new staff might reset some personal needs. 

5 minutes ago, 50england50 said:

Not everyone OLineman can be a top 10 pick. Braxton Jones is out, which makes the line look much worse. With Jenkins back and Nate Davis, they really just need a Center, but that would come in the 2nd-4th round. 

If they have an opportunity to take the best QB, and your QB room is still undecided, you have to draft one to reset the timeline. Otherwise, if they ride with Fields, Poles could be gone by next year. 

My assumption is this entire staff gets axed this offseason, then they bring in a younger offensive-minded HC and pair him with an older DC. 

This would sync the coaching staff with the QB, something that has been off for years (since Cutler). 

It is easy to see a defense that is getting better a little bit every game, take those TDs away from the TOs and the defense played okay.

true, and if we add some dogs on the D Line, the defense will look a lot better.

The OL played better last week and couldnt handle the blitz today(some could be line calls, coaching) so our offense struggled. Until we either upgrade or get hurt players back, we are going to struggle. Whitehair was bad today, he will be gone after this year.

Totally, Whitehair is a terrible center.

3 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Probably with a Brock Purdy type QB , we wont have anymore OL struggles. OLines dont have to block when your QB has rhythm.

The best cure for a bad OL is a faster release.

2 minutes ago, adam said:

Not everyone OLineman can be a top 10 pick. Braxton Jones is out, which makes the line look much worse. With Jenkins back and Nate Davis, they really just need a Center, but that would come in the 2nd-4th round. 

If they have an opportunity to take the best QB, and your QB room is still undecided, you have to draft one to reset the timeline. Otherwise, if they ride with Fields, Poles could be gone by next year. 

My assumption is this entire staff gets axed this offseason, then they bring in a younger offensive-minded HC and pair him with an older DC. 

This would sync the coaching staff with the QB, something that has been off for years (since Cutler). 

for sure. this coaching staff sucks.

Just now, Stinger226 said:

This is going to be a rough year but lots of high drafts picks is coming soon, that doesnt really make me feel good about this year though.

I can shake your hand on that, I feel the same way.

Last year I was all in on the tankathon. This year, with Carolina doing it for us, it is a tough pill to swallow.

One other thing. I can just walk away and go about my day. I have no vested interest in the Bears when they are this bad. I can't imagine being on the Bears beat or media covering this team. It has been so bad for so long, they write hype articles or for them to look like clowns themselves. What sucks is very few of them gave us a proper perspective on this team before the season. Most were optimistic and had the Bears winning 7-9 games. At this rate, 3-14 is the highest probable outcome (wins against CAR and ARI), and even those games, other teams feel like they have a shot at beating the Bears. 

5 hours ago, adam said:

Bears moving the ball nice, then decide to run Evans 3 times in a row to basically settle for a long FG. Come on Getsy, way too conservative. After the Mooney play, they had them on their heals, they needed to up the tempo right there.

Getsy play calling left a lot to be desired today. 

18 hours ago, adam said:

In 2009 Seahawks were 5-11 , Pete started a rebuild and went 7-9 in 2010 also had 2= 1st round picks.  , 7-9 in 2011. He brought in Cris Cleamons (11 sacks) and M Lynch (1024 yards) 2011. In 2012 he drafted Russel Wilson and started winning. 

He has done very well in Seattle but didnt win until his 3rd year. He is one of the best examples of a good rebuild similar to ours, lots of teams didnt do so well. The key he drafted a QB. Carroll had the best organization in college football before he came to the NFL, Flus was a DC with a GM that never did it before. The point is , its to early to fire everybody.

I will state again - I know there was no Justin Jefferson, but the defense played well yesterday.  The DB's were swarming, the tackling was clean. Pass rush was still meh, but that is a talent issue. Overall though that is 2 straight games where the defense has looked very different (to the good).  

Offensively - it was just too conservative of a game plan with Fields in there.  Saw a lot more of what we saw first few weeks, a lot of kind of quick plays or intended quick plays, not a lot down the field, despite the fact that they are bringing heat. That said - against a team as aggressive of Flores, you got to beat them on the hot reads etc.  Justin hasn't shown that he can do that enough. 

With that said - 2 out of 3 really good weeks is still momentum.  I would NOT rush him back, let him miss 1-2 weeks, continue to work on film study, etc, and get him back closer to 100% for the final half of the season. Lets see what it looks like from there.  I would rather that than we rush him back, he plays hurt, is less effective.  

• adam unfeatured and unpinned this topic