Week 6 Official Game Thread - MIN @ CHI, SUN 10/15, Noon, FOX, Bears +3, O/U 46.5

adam

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

Last year, Freeman's first game start after McCaffery left, he had 118 yards rushing and 2-2 receiving for 37 yards.

and I had him as a waiver claim and didn't change my waiver order, so i ended up with the ARZ backup and not him. I am off my game this year.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

All I can say is “oof”.  Anybody here able to fill in as an RB this weekend? 

IMG_5736.jpeg

More than rushing yards I'm worried about the pass protection aspect.   From a Vikings point of view that only invites the blitz more often. 

What would I do if I were Getsy?  More rollouts?  That can be risky as we've seen before with wide-9 type pressure.   More sets with two TEs, maybe even all 3 TEs on a few?  I like that.   More screens?   Might catch them a few times but the LOS will be too crowded IMO to do that often.   

There's a bunch of options but the one I like best is to just run the ball right at them with D'onta Foreman.   Then just work off play action for the chunk plays.  

With ESB now on Injured Reserve we're going to have to see what the speed options look like in Velus Jones Jr. and Tyler Scott.   That comes with a lot of question marks but it also comes with a lot of big play potential against a defense that likes to blitz.  One missed tackle and those two are off to the races.   It likely also requires Fields to hit quick slants more than we've seen him do so far this year.  

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

With ESB now on Injured Reserve we're going to have to see what the speed options look like in Velus Jones Jr. and Tyler Scott.   That comes with a lot of question marks but it also comes with a lot of big play potential against a defense that likes to blitz.  One missed tackle and those two are off to the races.   It likely also requires Fields to hit quick slants more than we've seen him do so far this year.  

They are absolutely going to run Foreman down  their throats. I suspect 15-18 times. Evans will get some touches, he has speed. The best way to stop a pass rush is to not pass in obvious passing situations, with 5 or 6 rushing, there will be some chunk plays happening and that helps play action. It's going to be a good day.

screens, draws, counters are all classic blitz beaters

we also pull a lot of linemen, and trap blocks punish defenders for being too aggressive

I also think if they roll Fields out, and the Vikes are playing wide 9s, we could call some QB draws.

But good old fashioned 3 step drops with slants are great blitz beaters too. get that to DJ in rhythm, and he can get YAC.

Foreman is a good pass blocker. They can always use Blasingame for that and Lewis is a 6th OL when he is in there. 

I think Foreman will have a nice game, he always seems to when he comes in for these types of situations. 

That first Bears offensive drive will be huge. If they can score a TD, it will put MIN on their heels. 

13 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

get that to DJ in rhythm, and he can get YAC

I suspect Minny will be focusing a lot on DJ this game (can’t imagine why) and perhaps draw extra coverage his way.  Because of that I feel Mooney will have a good stats game.  He’s been off just a tick these last few games.  He’s due.  

4 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I suspect Minny will be focusing a lot on DJ this game (can’t imagine why) and perhaps draw extra coverage his way.  Because of that I feel Mooney will have a good stats game.  He’s been off just a tick these last few games.  He’s due.  

I agree, but you cant blitz AND double DJM. And if they go that far, then yeah, Mooney is running all over the field, the TEs too.

But just Xs and Os, if you blitz a LB, Moore should be able to slant into that void, even with a CB pressing, and a safety over the top.

2 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

So that is challenging if you are blitzing and sending 5. If they bracket DJ, that's 7, now you only have 4 defenders to cover Mooney, Kmet, Scott, and Foreman out of the backfield.  That will create a lot of space and make for some easier throws over the middle for Fields. One missed tackle, and it's a home run.

2 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

I agree, but you cant blitz AND double DJM. And if they go that far, then yeah, Mooney is running all over the field, the TEs too.

But just Xs and Os, if you blitz a LB, Moore should be able to slant into that void, even with a CB pressing, and a safety over the top.

^^^^^^^^^^^ This x1000000 ^^^^^^^^^ 

and if Fields starts developing a quick game, it's really over for the league. He would turn into Lamar's MVP Year Clone for the rest of the year scoring 3-4 TDs a game, every game. 

2 hours ago, adam said:

So that is challenging if you are blitzing and sending 5. If they bracket DJ, that's 7, now you only have 4 defenders to cover Mooney, Kmet, Scott, and Foreman out of the backfield.  That will create a lot of space and make for some easier throws over the middle for Fields. One missed tackle, and it's a home run.

And from what it appears, Flores’ defense is a blitz happy bunch.  They’re lower tier on the pass coverage and about average on stopping the run.  Thing is they don’t have the same horses that Washington does along the front. Should be interesting. 

2 hours ago, adam said:

^^^^^^^^^^^ This x1000000 ^^^^^^^^^ 

and if Fields starts developing a quick game, it's really over for the league. He would turn into Lamar's MVP Year Clone for the rest of the year scoring 3-4 TDs a game, every game. 

yes. this is what Im waiting for, that quick release.

Meanwhile football God and imminent Messiah Caleb Williams is having an awful day today full of multiple interceptions and a fumble. They've been blitzing him a lot so it'll be fun to see Justin's rhythm under the same kind of pressure right after seeing this one. Caleb has a half to go to undo it, but sheesh.

Bird in the hand and all that, I think I'd like to see JF kick major non stop fast read ass and keep him. Come on Justin, keep it going.

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

yes. this is what Im waiting for, that quick release.

This is key.  It's hard to pinpoint release, as it has two key elements.  Some folks say release time is how fast they get rid of the ball, others say it's how fast the throwing motion is upon decision to throw.  One gets the ball out faster, to avoid defensive pressure.  The other gets the ball out faster to avoid defensive reaction.  I can find stats for the former, but not the latter.  The latter is something Justin is tremendously lacking due to mechanics.  The former is due to processing speed...

7 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

This is key.  It's hard to pinpoint release, as it has two key elements.  Some folks say release time is how fast they get rid of the ball, others say it's how fast the throwing motion is upon decision to throw.  One gets the ball out faster, to avoid defensive pressure.  The other gets the ball out faster to avoid defensive reaction.  I can find stats for the former, but not the latter.  The latter is something Justin is tremendously lacking due to mechanics.  The former is due to processing speed...

If youre coaching a player up, then the distinction youre making is a good one. But from my point of view, its a combination of both, and I just want the ball out to the right guy faster. The ideal would be Dan Marino. Three steps and the ball is out. Fields has been improving in this area, but he still has to elevate a few more notches.

I hate the ball tapping and the extra steps, but i want to see him making faster decisions too. All that has to get better. And has been. Let's hope the trend continues.

7 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Looks like he’ll play.  How many snaps is unknown.  

https://www.chicagobears.com/news/roster-move-bears-activate-kyler-gordon-off-ir

He had a broken bone in his hand, I dont think it slowed his workout time down, just playing in a game. Not sure how that works in IR, dont remember hearing people say he was around at practices. 

10 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

With ESB and Claypool not playing they lost their height at WR. I can see Mercedes Lewis taking a lot of snaps today. If they go heavy 12 personal that means they will be rushing a lot. Should open up Mooney on slants and Kmet in seams. Passes to RBs?

Tonyan too?

Terrible start for the offense. Fields sacked an under duress every play. Borom is playing bad.

Fields had to run for a few plays, nothing going in the passing game. 

Bears get one first down, but are forced to punt after going backwards.

The defense better step up or it's going be a long game.

The QB draw off of the quads left formation was the only successful play so far.

In the first series, JF didn't even have time to throw an incomplete pass. The first drive was as bad as Justin's first game against thew Browns with 9 sacks. Let's hope it gets better.

• adam unfeatured and unpinned this topic