Week 6 Official Game Thread - MIN @ CHI, SUN 10/15, Noon, FOX, Bears +3, O/U 46.5

adam

After all this (kill the QB ) speak yesterday , I see Swifty post this on X  .I was buying into the( its over) narrative but its actually not.  Worse case he has 5 more games to prove his worth. Poles keep listening to fans last year (didnt get him weapons) and makes an in season trade for Claypool . That was his mistake to listen to fans, he just needs to wait until the end of year and make an intelligent decision. 

2023 Season Stats:    Justin Fields 12 TD, 6 INT, 95.4 Rating, 1,201 passing yards
Patrick Mahomes 11 TD, 5 INT, 96 Rating, 1,287 passing yards

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you truly mean what youre saying, then youre saying if you were Chiefs GM, youd trade Mahomes for Fields?

Also I dont think Poles is "listening to fans"

The reason Fields numbers look so good is because he played two AWFUL defenses, and still only managed to beat one. As we play more games, those aberrant numbers from a small sample size will average out.

Anyone could see Bagent proved that Fields isnt doing nearly enough with what he has to work with.

25 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

The reason Fields numbers look so good is because he played two AWFUL defenses, and still only managed to beat one. As we play more games, those aberrant numbers from a small sample size will average out.

Being a Fields sympathizer, he did what he had to win.  The Broncos game was more a defensive letdown (aka coaching issue) and due to their having third stringers playing in key positions.  They gave up a 21 point lead.  Washington has one of the top (if not THE top) front four linemen in all of defense.  

26 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

Anyone could see Bagent proved that Fields isnt doing nearly enough with what he has to work with.

He also had 2 turnovers, one of which resulted in a score.  Let's see how he does against LV (or any other opponent after that) when they have some tape on how Bagent vs Fields runs the offense.  One thing from the outset we know about him is he doesn't have the elusiveness Fields does and a bit of a noodle arm in comparison.  

4 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Being a Fields sympathizer, he did what he had to win.  The Broncos game was more a defensive letdown (aka coaching issue) and due to their having third stringers playing in key positions.  They gave up a 21 point lead.  Washington has one of the top (if not THE top) front four linemen in all of defense.  

He also had 2 turnovers, one of which resulted in a score.  Let's see how he does against LV (or any other opponent after that) when they have some tape on how Bagent vs Fields runs the offense.  One thing from the outset we know about him is he doesn't have the elusiveness Fields does and a bit of a noodle arm in comparison.  

Oh Im not saying Bagent is the next coming, or even will be a good starter in the NFL - it's WAAAAY too early for that - Im just saying an undrafted rookie comes off the bench into the same game facing the same issues and manages to get the ball out significantly faster and the result is a bunch of completions.

That just shows how slow Fields still is in processing. And this isnt news. You can go back and read pre draft evaluation on Fields and it says the same thing.

I cant know what kind of NFL QB Williams or Bagent or Penix or Maye will be. All I know is that Fields is too slow to reliably lead an NFL team to the promised land. Im using Bagent as a way to measure Fields, not propping Bagent up as a savior.

4 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

QB Tyson Bagent on his pick: “under threw it there a little bit & that’s on me, & something I have to fix going forward.”

Last night on the chat there was a suggestion that Bagent’s arm was hit on the throw. Bagent admitted he under threw Moore and it has been suggested on social media he can not throw the required distance for the route due to a lack of arm strength. 

If his arm strength was an issue then that leads me to think Getsy did not call a play aligned to Bagent’s abilities and you can argue that is also the case with Field’s difficulties. 

Before we move on from Fields we need to be damn sure that his deficiencies aren’t due to Getsy not being up to the job. 

13 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

Oh Im not saying Bagent is the next coming, or even will be a good starter in the NFL - it's WAAAAY too early for that - Im just saying an undrafted rookie comes off the bench into the same game facing the same issues and manages to get the ball out significantly faster and the result is a bunch of completions.

This is a good no-nonsense review of Bagent’s plays.  One observer pointed out when he threw it was to his first read, minus one.  

https://x.com/imbearingdown/status/1713946333457834443?s=46&t=KrpJmhSTc4DI1sACtjisOQ

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

This is a good no-nonsense review of Bagent’s plays.  One observer pointed out when he threw it was to his first read, minus one.  

https://x.com/imbearingdown/status/1713946333457834443?s=46&t=KrpJmhSTc4DI1sACtjisOQ

thanks for posting that, it does seem that Bagent underthrew that interception because he was scared he was about to be hit, and thats not good.

If Fields was making his decisions as fast as Bagent is, Id keep Fields all day long, extend him etc.

So really, Im just saying that Bagent shows how slow Justin is, and you cant put his slowness on the protection or WRs because Bagent managed to get the ball out more quickly in the same situations, with the same team around him, against the same defense.. That doesnt mean that Fields isnt superior in many other ways, or that I think Bagent should be the starter next year. Just Bagent proves that Fields is slow and the excuses arent the only reason.

And I think it means that we'll be drafting a QB in the first round of the 2024 draft, and all that entails.

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

After all this (kill the QB ) speak yesterday , I see Swifty post this on X  .I was buying into the( its over) narrative but its actually not.  Worse case he has 5 more games to prove his worth. Poles keep listening to fans last year (didnt get him weapons) and makes an in season trade for Claypool . That was his mistake to listen to fans, he just needs to wait until the end of year and make an intelligent decision. 

2023 Season Stats:    Justin Fields 12 TD, 6 INT, 95.4 Rating, 1,201 passing yards
Patrick Mahomes 11 TD, 5 INT, 96 Rating, 1,287 passing yards

Swifty is great for videos, but bad on stats. Mahomes has 1,593 yards.

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

If you truly mean what youre saying, then youre saying if you were Chiefs GM, youd trade Mahomes for Fields?

Also I dont think Poles is "listening to fans"

5 games is not enough time to judge a player in this season when he will have at least 5 more games to look at him. The whole purpose of this year was to see if Fields is our long term answer and the injury will confuse that judgement. No intelligent GM is going to say (, we dont need to see anymore and blow off the rest of the year.) Why would they? The rest of the year will determine his fate. Let's say, he thinks like you and thinks he is terrible and trades him in two weeks, for a 5th or 6th round pick.(injured QB) Then he goes to Atlanta and balls out for the last 5 games. That would tell us how stupid Poles may actually be.

The stats only show he is not as terrible as some people suggest because he has similar stats as the best QB in the league. That doesnt make him great but at least deserving of the rest of the year to judge him. Truthfully the injury has already probably sealed his fate. Poles has to judge what his best option is and that includes the rest of this year. The rest of the year will also determine who the best QB in college is, it may not be  Caleb Williams. 

I'm still trying to figure out how you read my mind  and knew I would trade for Fields if I were the Chiefs GM. Those are very private thoughts.

2 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

How many of those throws looked like they were nearly picked off.  You see Bagent understands how quick he needs to be getting the ball out and a week of practice will help him get more accurate on his placement. He also cannot stare down he intentions like he did, so he has to work on those things.  Fields might be better by watching this and maybe not. 

• adam unfeatured and unpinned this topic